PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Ninja_Prawn's New Fey Spells [for the contest / PEACHing]

Ninja_Prawn
2015-12-28, 03:47 PM
Greetings children! Soon, I will be unleashing the 3rd part of my fey creatures homebrew project, containing more races, spells, items, feats and all that stuff. This post is something of a teaser-trailer, as well as an entry into DracoKnight's spellbrew contest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?473243-5e-Spellbrew-contest-I). I welcome any and all feedback you may have, as well as suggestions for more spells (though the limit for the contest is 5, so I'll put them into the second post if any come up).

Curse Weapon
5th-level transmutation - Bard, Wizard

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: V, S
Duration: Permanent (until broken)

You touch a weapon. Until the spell ends, the weapon becomes magical (if it wasn’t already) and gains the following property in addition to any others it has:

“Curse. This weapon is cursed, and touching it extends this curse to you, unless you are a fey creature, in which case you suffer no ill effect. As long as you remain cursed, you are unwilling to part with the weapon, keeping it within reach at all times.
Whenever you roll a 1 on an attack roll with this weapon, roll a d6 and apply the result from the table below.

1. You fall prone and your turn ends immediately.
2. You are blinded until the end of your next turn.
3. You are deafened until the end of your next turn.
4. You are immediately teleported 20 feet in a random direction. If you would end up within a slid obstacle, you take 2d6 bludgeoning damage and end up as close to the destination as possible.
5. All food items within ten feet of you immediately spoil, becoming completely inedible.
6. The weapon transforms into a live goose, which is magically bound to your hand and cannot be removed by any means (except by ending the curse). It reverts to its original form after one minute.”

This curse can be broken only by a Remove Curse spell or similar. This ends the effect on the weapon and anyone who has touched it.

Dire Charm
4th-level enchantment - Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard

Components: V, S, M (a nymph's eyelash, worth at least 100gp. If you are a nymph, you may use your own - you don't even have to pluck it out)
Duration: 10 days

You touch a humanoid and attempt to charm it. It must make a Wisdom saving throw, and does so with disadvantage unless you or your companions are fighting it. If it fails the saving throw, it is charmed by you until the spell ends. If you or your companions do anything harmful to it, it may attempt the saving throw again. The charmed creature regards you as a friendly acquaintance. When the spell ends, the creature knows it was charmed by you.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 8th level or higher, the duration becomes permanent (until dispelled).

Gingerbread Cottage
5th-level conjuration - Warlock, Wizard

Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (candies, biscuits and cakes worth at least 10gp, which the spell consumes)
Duration: 8 hours

This spell conjures a small cottage made out of gingerbread centred on a point you can see within range. You determine the floorplan of the cottage, though it must fit within a 15x15 foot footprint, and may have no more than one storey and one door. The interior is comfortably appointed, and up to six people may rest inside (if there are more occupants, it becomes too cramped to allow resting).
The walls of the cottage are magically reinforced and cannot be destroyed except by Dispel Magic or Disintegrate. The door has a mundane lock (DC 15 to pick). You may place windows in any of the exterior walls, allowing those inside to see out and those outside to see in. Ranged attacks can be made through windows.
Everything inside the cottage is made out of gingerbread and other sweet treats. There are enough non-essential elements to feed up to six creatures, which gain the following benefits after spending 10 minutes eating in the cottage: the creature is freed from any charm or domination affecting it, and is immune the charmed condition. Its hit point maximum increases by 2d6 and it gains the same number of hit points. These benefits last for the next 8 hours.

Nondescript
2nd-level illusion - Bard, Ranger, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard

Range: Self
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes

This spell make you seem ordinary and nondescript to others, though it does not change your actual appearance. Creatures who saw you while you were under the influence of this spell are unable to recall you upon being asked if they had seen you or someone matching your description.

Secret Enclave
9th-level conjuration - Bard, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard

Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S, M (a tiny, silver bell)
Duration: 10 minutes

You conjure a shimmering, multicoloured portal, large enough to admit creatures up to large in size, which connects to a pocket dimension, much like the Demiplane spell. The enclave is a cube with 600 foot sides and behaves as if it were part of the Feywild, including the seasons, weather and special effects described on page 50 of the DMG. The floor is made of earth that is fertile but cannot be burrowed through. When the spell ends, the portal disappears, and any creatures or objects inside the enclave remain trapped there, as the portal also disappears from the other side.
You or anyone else can create another portal leading back to the enclave by casting this spell again. However, once an enclave has been created, its location is fixed, and the portal can only be opened from that same location (or from within the enclave). If you are in the correct location, you do not need to know anything about the enclave to open a portal to it; you do not even need to know that it is there.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-12-28, 03:48 PM
Aside from the five spells in the above post, I've been working on a few others. I'm less happy with these; Beguile Fey only really works within the context of my other supplements and Petal Storm is a blatant ripoff of Dust Devil that I tweaked specifically to support a homebrewed monster. I'll put them up here in case anyone wants to use them, though.

Beguile Fey
5th-level enchantment

Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You attempt to beguile a fey creature that you can see within range. It must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be charmed by you for the duration. If you or creatures that are friendly to you are fighting it, it has advantage on the saving throw. This spell can affect any fey creature, even if they are normally immune to the charmed condition.
While the target is beguiled, you have a telepathic link with it as long as the two of you are on the same plane of existence. You can use this telepathic link to issue commands to the creature while you are conscious (no action required), which it does its best to obey. You can specify a simple and general course of action, such as “attack that creature,” “run over there,” or “fetch that object.” If the creature completes the order and doesn’t receive further direction from you, it defends and preserves itself to the best of its ability.
You can use your action to take total and precise control of the target. Until the end of your next turn, the creature takes only the actions you choose, and doesn’t do anything that you don’t allow it to do. During this time you can also cause the creature to use a reaction, but this requires you to use your own reaction as well.
Each time the target takes damage, it makes a new Wisdom saving throw against the spell. If the saving throw succeeds, the spell ends.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a 6th-level spell slot, the duration is concentration, up to 10 minutes. When you use a 7th-level spell slot, the duration is concentration, up to 1 hour. When you use a spell slot of 8th level or higher, the duration is concentration, up to 8 hours.

Faerie Ward
1st-level abjuration

Components: V, S, M (a handful of acorns, which the spell consumes)
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes

Until the spell ends, one willing creature you touch is protected against certain types of creatures: aberrations, constructs, fiends, giants, oozes and undead.
The protection grants several benefits. Creatures of those types have disadvantage on attack rolls against the target. The target also can't be charmed, frightened or possessed by them. It the target is already charmed, frightened or possessed by such a creature, the target has advantage on any new saving throw against the relevant effect.

Glitterdust
3rd-level conjuraton

Range: Self (15-foot cone)
Components: V, S, M (a handful of powdered mica)
Duration: 1 minute

You spray golden particles in a 15-foot cone, covering all creatures and objects in that area. Any creature affected by the spell must make a Constitution save or be blinded for the duration. They may repeat the save at the end of each of their turns.
All attack rolls against a creature or object covered in glitter has advantage if the attacker can see it, and the affected creature or object can’t benefit from being invisible.
The glitter disappears 1 minute after being conjured.

Petal Storm
2nd-level conjuration

Components: V, S, M (a handful of flower petals)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

Choose an unoccupied 5-foot cube of air that you can see within range. An elemental force of swirling winds appears in the cube and lasts for the spell’s duration.
Any creature that ends its turn within 5 feet of the petal storm must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes 1d8 slashing damage and has disadvantage on any attack rolls it makes before the end of its next turn. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage and suffers no additional penalty. As a bonus action, you can move the storm up to 30 feet in any direction. If it moves over leaf litter, flowers, bushes or trees, it sucks up extra material and forms a 10-foot-radius cloud of leaves and petals around itself that lasts until the start of your next turn. The cloud heavily obscures its area.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 2nd.

Flashy
2015-12-30, 04:29 AM
Curse Weapon is a neat fluff spell with absolutely no practical use I can see. You curse a weapon, give it to an enemy and...hope they roll a lot of 1s? You curse a weapon and give it to an ally so they can overcome damage reduction, but hope that they don't roll very many 1s? I get that there's no saving throw involved, limiting the power level pretty drastically, but this doesn't seem like something worth burning a 5th level spell slot on, much less a spell known.

Dire Charm on the other hand should either have its spell level sharply increased, the duration reduced from permanent, default disadvantage removed, a substantial gp cost added, or some combination of the four. Implacable enemies become friendly acquaintances in a single round, and as long as you aren't actively trying to kill them when you cast the spell they make the save with disadvantage. Sizable lines of credit are available from merchants and bankers who will never realize you enchanted them because the spell never ends. You have an invitation to any fashionable party you like, no door is barred against you, and your enemies all just sort of melt away into a growing crowd of vague friends. This is wildly thematic for a fey lord and utterly inappropriate for every single 7th level bard, sorcerer, wizard and warlock in the game world.

Gingerbread Cottage combines about a third the benefit of the 6th level 1000gp Heroes' Feast with most of the benefit of the 3rd level Leomund's Tiny Hut. It's probably fine as a 5th level spell. At first I thought you should increase the gp cost to keep it in line with the other effects, but Heroes' Feast is so pointlessly expensive no one ever takes it. I think this one is probably pegged about right across the board but I'm less confident about the balance here than I am with the others.

Both Nondescript and Secret Enclave are spells I flatly love.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-12-30, 06:47 AM
Curse Weapon is a neat fluff spell with absolutely no practical use I can see.

Agreed. This is a tool for DMs to create faerie-cursed weapons. A lot of fey stories have a 'give with one hand, take with the other' theme, which this feeds into.

Dire Charm on the other hand should either have its spell level sharply increased, the duration reduced from permanent, default disadvantage removed, a substantial gp cost added, or some combination of the four.

I'll find a way to make it weaker, then. This spell needs to be available to mid-level PCs. What if I cut the duration to 10 days, cut the range to 'touch' and added a non-trivial focus? Could it stay as fourth level, bearing in mind that Dominate Person is fifth level?

Gingerbread Cottage combines about a third the benefit of the 6th level 1000gp Heroes' Feast with most of the benefit of the 3rd level Leomund's Tiny Hut. It's probably fine as a 5th level spell. At first I thought you should increase the gp cost to keep it in line with the other effects, but Heroes' Feast is so pointlessly expensive no one ever takes it. I think this one is probably pegged about right across the board but I'm less confident about the balance here than I am with the others.

That was my intention. It's less solid than a Leomund's Tiny Hut and less substantial than a Heroes' Feast, but a good stand-in for both and I really like the idea of it. I'm open to suggestions on the level; 5th was just my best guess.

Flashy
2015-12-30, 07:14 AM
I'll find a way to make it weaker, then. This spell needs to be available to mid-level PCs. What if I cut the duration to 10 days, cut the range to 'touch' answer added a non-trivial focus? Could it stay as fourth level, bearing in mind that Dominate Person is fifth level?

I think that's totally reasonable. With the 10 day duration and maybe the touch range I think it's completely fine at 4th level. My biggest concern was that the permanent duration basically eliminated any practical downside from the creature knowing they'd been charmed, since the only possible way for the spell to end was for someone else to figure out they had been charmed anyway. You'd just sort of slowly assemble an army of people who rather like you, but can't quite place how they know you (short of commonplace magic detectors). Fae in the extreme, but probably a bit much for mid-level play. If you wanted to do a 7th or 8th level spell with the permanent duration I actually think that'd be pretty solid.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-12-30, 07:31 AM
If you wanted to do a 7th or 8th level spell with the permanent duration I actually think that'd be pretty solid.

If only 5e had a mechanic for powering spells up when cast at higher levels...

khadgar567
2015-12-30, 10:15 AM
if I remember correctly you can use higher sloth to amp the spell so its possible as later level power boost

Flashy
2015-12-30, 07:23 PM

Hahaha, that's a really excellent point and I don't know why it didn't occur to me.