PDA

View Full Version : What do you see? (FTL Characters)

MonkeySage
2015-12-28, 05:31 PM
I have been working on both a game system and a game setting, Six Kingdoms. The scale of the game is intended to grow with the characters, and there are no real upper limits to what these characters can accomplish. The theme of the game is growth, and some characters may start their adventuring careers as simple farmers. Same character may end the game as a deity whose actions have influenced the fates of one or more galaxies.

The game uses a d6 dice pool, which i feel best allows for drastically changing scales of power without getting out of control.

Naturally, this means that eventually some characters will be able to move much faster than light; some of the deities in this setting already can. But I'm wondering what they should see when they do this. Am I over thinking it?

(Now that I think about it, this thread belongs on the homebrewing section. Perhaps it should be moved... So sorry mods)

D-naras
2015-12-28, 05:52 PM
You are overthinking this. But, if you absolutely must describe what they see when they move faster than light then maybe, they see the shadows of things that haven't happened yet, like a small form of precognition. Like a shadowy queue of things that are waiting for their turn to occur. Maybe some of these never come to pass and are the possible outcomes of current actions.

-Ps. I'd love to check out your game if that's okay with you. I am also in the final touches stage of my game and I think I can give some concrete advice on the matter.

Thrudd
2015-12-28, 05:57 PM
Technically, I think they would see nothing, at least not with their eyes. With a sixth sense that can perceive things unhindered by space and time, maybe they would see some kind of underlying, all pervasive dimension of consciousness, like an astral dimension

solidork
2015-12-28, 06:15 PM
You could still see something in the direction you are going, since photons from that direction will still hit your retina. The light coming from that direction would be brighter based on how fast you were going and possibly tinted blue. The thing is, doing this in an atmosphere would basically annihilate everything nearby https://what-if.xkcd.com/1/