PDA

View Full Version : Dice Probability Generator

Login
2007-06-12, 04:41 PM
Well, here goes my first post here, thought this might be of some help for role playing games..

Dice Probability Generator

Description

Using this engine, you can calculate the odds of various outcomes of dice rolls, along with the actual number of permutations that occur.

Methods and examples

1. Probability of a total sum for all dice
Selections : Sum of dice, number of dice, sides of dice
Example: For 20d10 getting the sum of 110, there is a 3% chance, or 3.08 * 10 ^ 18 permutations

2. Probability of a total sum or less for all dice
Example: For 6d8 getting the sum of 38 or lower, there is a 98.1% chance, or 257181 permutations

3. Probability of a total sum or greater for all dice
Example: For 49d20 getting the sum of 500 or higher, there is a 64.4% chance, or 3.62 * 10 ^ 63 permutations

4. Probablility of a certain number rolled for a specific number of dice
Selections : Specific number of dice with the number, number of dice, sides of dice
Example: For 5d of 8d4 getting a 3, there is a 2.3% chance, or 1512 permutations

5. Probability of a specific number or higher rolled for a specific number of dice
Selections : Specific number of dice with the number, number of dice, sides of dice, specific number
Example: For 5d of 8d4 getting a 3 or higher, there is a 21.8% chance, or 14336 permutations

6. Probability of a specific number or lower rolled for a specific number of dice
Selections : Specific number of dice with the number, number of dice, sides of dice, specific number
Example: For 2d of 2d20 getting a 7 or lower, there is a 12.2% chance, or 49 permutations

7. Probability of a certain number rolled for a specific number or more of dice
Selections : Specific number of dice, number of dice, sides of dice
Example: For 4d or more of 6d6 getting a 5, there is a 0.87% chance, or 406 permutations

8. Probability of a certain number or higher rolled for a specific number or more of dice
Selections : Specific number of dice, number of dice, sides of dice
Example: For 4d or more of 6d6 getting a 5 or higher, there is a 10% chance, or 4672 permutations

Controls

Arrow keys: Move to a different calculation or description circle.

Spacebar, C: Select circle

Z: Change background music

X: Show options for quitting dice probability calculator.

Alt + Enter: Enter/Exit fullscreen mode

Notes

Odds are given in permille, or parts per thousand, or ppm, parts per million. Permille is 1/10th of a percent, while ppm is 1/10000th of a percent.
While I tried to eliminate all possible opportunities for human error, there may still be some left over, so unusual results may possibly be achieved for unrealistic scenarios, i.e. rolling the sum of 30 with 2d6.

Download

http://rapidshare.com/files/36788267/Dice.exe.html

Hope you enjoy!

Bitzeralisis
2007-06-12, 05:10 PM
I'm sorry to say this, but I give your program a 2/10.

First off, the music is unnessicary and annoying.
Second, the program is too hard to use. It's nearly impossible to tell what you are doing, and I could barely see what circle I was selecting. What's with the circles anyways? It would have been better to make a normal GUI with scroll-down boxes, buttons, etc. I can't tell what circles do what either. Some give a description, some roll dice. It's very confusing.

I myself am a programmer and say that although graphical quality is important, don't overdo it. You overdid it so much that it was imossible to use and hard to look at. Next time, focus on making the program understandable instead of overly good-looking.

Yuki Akuma
2007-06-12, 05:23 PM
I don't really see why anyone would want something like this. The math to work out dice-roll probabilities isn't that hard, and how often would someone want an exact result, rather than a "greater than x" result?

Damionte
2007-06-12, 06:21 PM
I took a look. although I applaud the effort and tiem you put into it, I don't understand what I would really need to use it for.

It's also hard to use as the 1st responder said.

sikyon
2007-06-12, 07:24 PM
I havn't looked at it yet, but from your description does it lack features such as rerolls, conditional bonuses or ect? It'd be nice. Actually, now that I think about it, I can just write conditional statements into java and it'd probably be eaisier...