PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help me build a very special warrior

Felvion
2015-12-28, 08:29 PM
Hello playground!
A friend of mine is new to 5th edition and he asked my help to build a character as close as possible to a videogame hero. I usually enjoy build-challenges and tend to keep them for myself. The thing is that this character has a variety of powers that don't fit any specific dnd archetype and i guess it'll be hard to mimic all of his adilities while maintaining a viable dnd build. Thats why i asked him the most important aspects of this character and we came down to these:

1)First and foremost we are talking about a cruel barbaric (apparently it doesnt have to be the barbarian class) warrior and most of his special abilities are combat related.
2)His weapon has to be a great axe. I guess secondary weapons wouldn't hurt but he definately won't dualwield and a shield is probably out of the picture.
3)He is supposed to be muscular and very durable in terms of taking damage. He may be slow and not that agile but he would be the last to fall.
4)He has a kind of "shield". An instant protection with a mechanism similar to temporary hit-points. If his opponents don't wear these hit-points off he can detonate the shield and deal damage around him.
5)He should be able to cause havoc in the battlefield. He can lock down single targets in a short range with an ability similar to hold person.
6)Doesn't really need any skills other than athletics and intimidate.
All the above are the core. I'm supposed to mimic them in a dnd formula and it would be disappointing to leave anything out. Other welcome but not mandatory abilities would be:
-a rarely used instant speedbuff
-dealing small amounts of aoe damage around him
-an undying feature similar to the orcish racial one
-not depending on armor would be great. If not possible, light or heavy, it makes no difference.
-preferable races are orc, human but could also be a dwarf.
-ranged knock back (such as repelling blast)
There are also some rules/restrictions:
Regular 27 point buy for stats.
Although the dm used to be mostly "core only" in previous editions, he has allowed SCAG and UA in 5th. I feel like these two have a big "use with caution" sticker on them.
Minor homebrewing may be accepted (such as changing a single class feature), suggestions are welcome but nothing should be taken for granted.
Multiclassing is accepted but not things like 4/3/3/2/1.
Keep in mind that their starting level will be 1 or 4 at maximum and the campaign should be over at around 13-15. It may go on for later levels but i guess it won't.
As i already mentioned, i hate the dnd-videogames interaction. In case you guessed the game or the hero please keep it for yourself, i'd really appreciate it!

That's it! Before I encourage everyone to go nuts, I have some thoughts already and i suppose they could be a good starting point:
Strength and constitution should be of high priority. The hardest part to mimic is the shield and it is supposed to have big impact on his gameplay. Closest thing i could come up with was Armor of Agathys and i decided to build around this.
As a result, i'd pick warlock as the main class to maximize the AoA potential. The spell has a level 5 ceiling so this means 9 levels of warlock. The class also offers the needed crowd control. Sadly, no patron fit his background and maybe a bit of homebrewing is needed here. The pact would pact of the blade and only for the extra attack as nothing else seems apealling.
The plan is to cast AoA in every fight and depending on the circumstances eiter re-activate it or cast a hold person/fear/hold monster etc. The dc is not going to be that big because Cha won't be more than 14 in order to invest heavier in physical stats.
Ideally the character would start with a level or two of a martial class and then jump into warlock (which also fits his background) but i'm not sure which class' features would synergize better with AoA.
Barbarian is good cause the rage damage reduction would keep the AoA going longer. It also offers the potential of fighting unarmored, a bit of speed bonus, damage boost and a reckless rp. On the other hand it limits his casting ability and doesn't support heavy armor (see later).
A fighter would offer the heavy armor potential and the possibility of picking heavy armor master (even from level 1 as a human) to strengthen AoA. There are many possibilities to consider in this class and its sub-paths and i'm a bit confused which fits best. It surely makes an optimal choise and the extra ASIs help a lot too.
The other option is the paladin. Easy to multiclass, the oathbreaker variant fits perfectly. It relies on heavy armor (and possibly the aforementioned feat) to keep the AoA going. Nice few spells and divinity to aoe fear are great.

Jeebs
2015-12-28, 09:11 PM
Half-Orc Warlock? Start as a Fighter for Heavy Armor Proficiency.

Pact of the Blade. Greataxe Pact Weapon.

Choose Fiend for Temporary HP.

Mara
2015-12-28, 09:24 PM
You want a Berserker.

1)First and foremost we are talking about a cruel barbaric (apparently it doesnt have to be the barbarian class) warrior and most of his special abilities are combat related.

check

2)His weapon has to be a great axe. I guess secondary weapons wouldn't hurt but he definately won't dualwield and a shield is probably out of the picture.

Great axe is best weapon here

3)He is supposed to be muscular and very durable in terms of taking damage. He may be slow and not that agile but he would be the last to fall.

This is what barbars do.

4)He has a kind of "shield". An instant protection with a mechanism similar to temporary hit-points. If his opponents don't wear these hit-points off he can detonate the shield and deal damage around him.

Rage does this except for the sharing part. May want magic initiate to grab the warlock spell for it.

5)He should be able to cause havoc in the battlefield. He can lock down single targets in a short range with an ability similar to hold person.

Intimidating Presence

6)Doesn't really need any skills other than athletics and intimidate.

Well too bad, cause you'll get two more in addition to those. :P

Dash action

-dealing small amounts of aoe damage around him

Cleave optional rule, Frenzy for effective AOE, Stomp on the ground and have the DM rule the DC/Damage

-an undying feature similar to the orcish racial one

Barbars have this

-not depending on armor would be great. If not possible, light or heavy, it makes no difference.

Muscles is best armor

-preferable races are orc, human but could also be a dwarf.

Any work here

You could just throw a rock and have the DM decide the DC. Magic initiate would also help here or two levels of warlock.

If you want EVERYTHING, you'll need 2 levels of warlock with your berserker levels.

Belac93
2015-12-28, 09:28 PM
Variant human for the extra feat, either Resilient (Constitution), Tough, or Great Weapon Master. Go strait warlock.
Take this build till level 5:
1: Patron (Fiend), gives temp hp. Focus on Strength and Constitution with Charisma third. You should be able to get Str 16, Con 15-16 (depending on what feat), Charisma 14. If you want to use no damage spells, Dex instead of Charisma. Have armor of Agathys and Hex.
2: Armor of Shadows invocation for AC, Fiendish Vigor for extra temp HP.
3: Pact of Blade for Greataxe, get hold person.
4: Increase ability score or get feat, take spell of choice
5: Take thirsting blade for extra attack, take fear spell.
This is all I have time to post right now

kraftcheese
2015-12-28, 09:31 PM
Half-Orc Warlock? Start as a Fighter for Heavy Armor Proficiency.

Pact of the Blade. Greataxe Pact Weapon.

Choose Fiend for Temporary HP.

Also, the Forceful Invocation for Eldritch Blast allows you to push enemies hit by it 10 ft which fits your "ranged knockback" thing.

Rhaegar14
2015-12-28, 09:51 PM
Are we talking about Sion? I'm pretty sure we're talking about Sion.

treecko
2015-12-28, 11:09 PM
Are we talking about Sion? I'm pretty sure we're talking about Sion.

Also 90% sure this is sion. I think the OP underestimated the league players of the board ;)

zeek0
2015-12-29, 02:49 AM
Instead of re-flavoring something else and getting a different result, I'm going to do some minor homebrewing.

Now, it seems to me that the desired character is 1) primarily martial and 2) can do basic spell-like things. There are a few classes that do this well (cleric, monk, fighter, ranger, rogue, warlock, paladin), but it seems to me that the character is a fighter without the trappings that accompany a paladin, warlock, or cleric. He also isn't natural like a ranger. So I think that Eldritch Knight fits best: martial, light casting, and uncomplicated. The only caveat is that EK uses Int, but for many spells you don't need much of it.

Now, the PHB gives us spells like what your friend wants, but not quite. Here we go:

He has a kind of "shield". An instant protection with a mechanism similar to temporary hit-points. If his opponents don't wear these hit-points off he can detonate the shield and deal damage around him.

Here's my solution: It is a combination between False Life and Earth Tremor. Bonus action to cast, but Action to break. Scales with level. The same damage as Earth Tremor but 1/2 range, doesn't knock them prone, or create difficult terrain.

Detonating Shield
1st-level abjuration
Casting Time: 1 Bonus Action
Range:Self
Components:V, S, M
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You bolster yourself with temporary hit points, gaining 4 temporary hit points for the duration. As an action you may remove any temporary hit points gained from this spell (these hit points are removed before others), and creatures within 5 feet of you make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 1d6 necrotic damage.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd or higher, the temporary hit points increase by 4 and the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.

He should be able to cause havoc in the battlefield. He can lock down single targets in a short range with an ability similar to hold person.

This is basically Hold Person. But it is a bonus action. In exchange, the range is 10 feet and the "At higher levels" increases the range instead of the number of targets.

Lockdown
2nd-level evocation
Range: 10 feet

Choose a humanoid that you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be paralyzed for the duration. At the end of each of its turns, the target can make another Wisdom saving throw. On a success, the spell ends on the target.
At Higher Levels.When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the range of this spell increases by 5 feet for each spell lot above 2nd.

Really, just make Expeditous Retreat an abjuration spell. Nothing else needed.

dealing small amounts of aoe damage around him
Thunderclap. Reflavor damage type as needed - but keep in mind that the noise is usually a downside.

So we make a cantrip that does what repelling blast does, we don't want it to have 1d12 damage, while keeping in mind a warlock has to hold down an invocation to get this ability on their cantrip...

Repel
Evocation Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 Action
Duration: Instantaneous

You send a creature stumbling back with a slam of force. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage and is pushed 15 feet away from you in a straight line.

STR: 14
DEX: 10
CON: 15
INT: 14
WIS: 10
CHA: 8

Race: Half-Orc
Background: Any
Class: Fighter
Martial Archetype: Eldritch Knight
Skills: Intimidate, Athletics, 2 others
Attributes:
STR: 16
CON: 18
Feat: Great Weapon Master

Cantrips: Thunderclap, Repel
1st Level: Expeditious Retreat, Detonating Shield, 2 others
2nd Level: Lockdown, 1 other

Just my thoughts; I had fun making some stuff up. Tweak as you will. I think I made it balanced, but it's not playtested or anything.

McNinja
2015-12-29, 07:18 AM
Instead of re-flavoring something else and getting a different result, I'm going to do some minor homebrewing.

Now, it seems to me that the desired character is 1) primarily martial and 2) can do basic spell-like things. There are a few classes that do this well (cleric, monk, fighter, ranger, rogue, warlock, paladin), but it seems to me that the character is a fighter without the trappings that accompany a paladin, warlock, or cleric. He also isn't natural like a ranger. So I think that Eldritch Knight fits best: martial, light casting, and uncomplicated. The only caveat is that EK uses Int, but for many spells you don't need much of it.

Now, the PHB gives us spells like what your friend wants, but not quite. Here we go:

Here's my solution: It is a combination between False Life and Earth Tremor. Bonus action to cast, but Action to break. Scales with level. The same damage as Earth Tremor but 1/2 range, doesn't knock them prone, or create difficult terrain.

Detonating Shield
1st-level abjuration
Range:Self

You bolster yourself with temporary hit points, gaining 4 temporary hit points for the duration. As an action you may remove any temporary hit points gained from this spell (these hit points are removed before others), and creatures within 5 feet of you make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 1d6 necrotic damage.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd or higher, the temporary hit points increase by 4 and the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.

This is basically Hold Person. But it is a bonus action. In exchange, the range is 10 feet and the "At higher levels" increases the range instead of the number of targets.

Lockdown
2nd-level evocation

Choose a humanoid that you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be paralyzed for the duration. At the end of each of its turns, the target can make another Wisdom saving throw. On a success, the spell ends on the target.
At Higher Levels.When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the range of this spell increases by 5 feet for each spell lot above 2nd.

Really, just make Expeditous Retreat an abjuration spell. Nothing else needed.

Thunderclap. Reflavor damage type as needed - but keep in mind that the noise is usually a downside.

So we make a cantrip that does what repelling blast does, we don't want it to have 1d12 damage, while keeping in mind a warlock has to hold down an invocation to get this ability on their cantrip...

Repel
Evocation Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 Action
Duration: Instantaneous

You send a creature stumbling back with a slam of force. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage and is pushed 15 feet away from you in a straight line.

STR: 14
CON: 15

Race: Half-Orc
Background: Any
Class: Fighter
Martial Archetype: Eldritch Knight
Skills: Intimidate, Athletics, 2 others
Attributes:
STR: 16
CON: 18
Feat: Great Weapon Master

Cantrips: Thunderclap, Repel
1st Level: Expeditious Retreat, Detonating Shield, 2 others
2nd Level: Lockdown, 1 other

Just my thoughts; I had fun making some stuff up. Tweak as you will. I think I made it balanced, but it's not playtested or anything.Compared to 2 fiendlock/18 Fighter, you're gimping yourself in a lot of ways (or the player would be). 2 fiendlock gets you eldritch blast and repelling blast, which will do nearly double the damage of repel at 12 times the range. Eldritch blast scales with character level, which is one of the reasons it's considered one of the best cantrips aside from minor illusion. This guy would be spending his entire action simply pushing someone... if he wanted to do that, just take the shield bash feat and shove as an attack instead of wasting your entire turn. As for the rest...

- Detonating shield is objectively worse than armor of agathys, which warlocks get (5thp and 5 cold damage/spell level)
- Lockdown is a worse Hold Person. There's really no need to alter anything about the spell.
- If he wants a speedbuff have a spellcaster use haste on him.
- Damage AOE... uh, greenflame blade?
- Already covered repel

Basically, there isn't anything here that he couldn't get by multiclassing warlock/fighter or simply being a paladin with magic initiate. The bonus to warlock is the Fiend specialties and the short rest spell slots.

And if he just wants a higher base movement speed, just go monk with the mobile feat.

PoeticDwarf
2015-12-29, 08:59 AM
The shield sounds as abjurer wizard, next to that it sounds as barbarian.
You can get berserker with magic initate, berserker with a dip or maybe eagle/bear instead of berserker.

Or just eldritch knight, but not THAT tanky, with spells as shield, false life and mage armor.

Douche
2015-12-29, 09:06 AM
Also 90% sure this is sion. I think the OP underestimated the league players of the board ;)

I am also quite certain this is Sion, lol

Tarvil
2015-12-29, 09:59 AM
So, your player wants Sion from LoL in DnD? I think you should look at Fighter1/WarlockX build. Let's see...

Great weapon fits well with perma advantage this build provide

You can easily max STR stat and leave DEX at 10, thanks to fighter's heavy armor proficiency

Fiend Warlock feature and Armor of Aghatys provide a lot of temp. hit points and damaging effect.

Warlock have "Hold Person" spell so...

a rarely used instant speedbuff

Expeditious Retreat, Misty Step...

ranged knock back (such as repelling blast)

You already wrote your answer ;).