PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to get secondary poison damage to apply instantly?

SangoProduction
2015-12-28, 10:17 PM
Just asking.

Âmesang
2015-12-28, 10:21 PM
The closest that I'm aware of is the "virulent" weapon property from Drow of the Underdark which requires the second save to be made after 5 rounds instead of 10.

Necroticplague
2015-12-28, 11:41 PM
Sadly, I don't think so, unfortunately for all the poisons that are Primary (bit of stat damage) Secondary (unconcious). Closest I can think of is drug overdoses, which require a save immediately IIRC. This, obviously requires using more than one dose.

daremetoidareyo
2015-12-29, 12:04 AM
lolth's caress from drow of the underdark. It's a feat, spend a rebuke attempt to force everyone in 20 to take secondaries.

SangoProduction
2015-12-29, 01:02 AM
lolth's caress from drow of the underdark. It's a feat, spend a rebuke attempt to force everyone in 20 to take secondaries.

Cool. Might look in to it.

So, what happens when you've got more than 1 dose going on, like with a spider's bite? Do they actually have more than 1 effective poison, or is one subsumed by the other?

daremetoidareyo
2015-12-29, 01:27 AM
My understanding is that each instance of "poisoning", (damage + a fort save against a poison effect) is a separately tracked event. So, if you're rocking a phase cloak strapped to your crown mantle and the spit poison feat + deadly spittle so you're spitting in a 15' cone at a wall of mooks on round 1, stabbing 3 of them with your centipede poison dagger on round 2, and then hitting them all with another 15' cone on round three to finish the poison seed sowing. Finally using a turn rebuke on round 4 to force the secondary checks, the mooks hit by all three attacks would have to make 3 fort saves that turn or take the secondary damage.

SangoProduction
2015-12-29, 03:36 AM
My understanding is that each instance of "poisoning", (damage + a fort save against a poison effect) is a separately tracked event. So, if you're rocking a phase cloak strapped to your crown mantle and the spit poison feat + deadly spittle so you're spitting in a 15' cone at a wall of mooks on round 1, stabbing 3 of them with your centipede poison dagger on round 2, and then hitting them all with another 15' cone on round three to finish the poison seed sowing. Finally using a turn rebuke on round 4 to force the secondary checks, the mooks hit by all three attacks would have to make 3 fort saves that turn or take the secondary damage.

Well, that makes things better

Darrin
2015-12-29, 07:41 AM
Closest I can think of is drug overdoses, which require a save immediately IIRC. This, obviously requires using more than one dose.

Not all overdose conditions require a save. Some examples:

Kammarth (80 GP, Lords of Darkness p. 183). Overdose: 2 doses within 8 hours, 1d4 damage and paralyzed for 2d4 minutes. 3+ doses within 24 hours, 4d4 damage and paralyzed for 2d4 hours.

Mushroom Powder (100 GP, Book of Vile Darkness p. 43) Overdose: 2d6 damage (within 12 hours) or 4d6 damage plus paralyzed for 2d4 hours

Panacolo (250 GP, Lords of Darkness p. 184) Side: 1d6 points Cha damage. Overdose: second dose taken within one hour increases DC bonus to +3, but user takes 2d8 Cha damage. For additonal doses taken within the hour, the user takes additional Cha damage but do not increase DC further.

Rhul/Battlewine (50 GP, Lords of Darkness p. 184). Overdose: If more than one dose taken in an hour, 1d4 points Int and Wis damage.

Terran Brandy (500 GP, Book of Vile Darkness p. 43). Overdose: 1 point Con damage.

Ziran/Bloodfast (100 GP, Lords of Darkness p. 185). Side: after secondary effect ends, user takes 2 points Con damage. Overdose: second dose taken within 24 hours causes an additional 2 points of Con damage.