PDA

View Full Version : Fast Healing Questions

Xar Zarath
2015-12-29, 01:40 AM
Some questions on Fast Healing (FH):

1) Based on what I've read, if you get a limb cut off the wound heals but the limb doesn't grow back correct even with Fast Healing?

2) In a Fast Healing environment (world, demiplane etc) if you get wounded and your enemy is also wounded, the wounds heal and so it will be difficult for both of you to kill each other quickly, yes?

3) In a Fast Healing environment (world, demiplane etc) for RP purposes say a character is being tortured, his wounds sustained would just heal over right? What is the character is being really badly tortured like say being skinned alive, wouldn't the FH just heal the wounds?

4) How does a FH environment interact with a Clone facility? If a Clone is being manufactured, would the FH environment accelerate the Clone process or mess with it?

Andezzar
2015-12-29, 02:19 AM
1) Yes, but there is no way of cutting off limbs except through DM fiat.

2) Yes, if they both try to kill each other through hit point damage.

3) Torture devices (BoVD) deal hit point damage so it does not matter how the damage is described. There are no other forms of torture (like skinning alive) AFAIK. So ask your DM on those.

4) Ask your DM.

ShurikVch
2015-12-29, 07:41 AM
there is no way of cutting off limbs except through DM fiat.SRD disagree:
An opponent can make sunder attempts against a Giant Squid (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/squidGiant.htm)(/Giant Octopus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/octopusGiant.htm)/Kraken (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/kraken.htm))'s tentacles or arms as if they were weapons.

Andezzar
2015-12-29, 08:21 AM
Let me rephrase that, there generally is no way to cut off limbs except through DM fiat. Some specific creatures or weapons may have rules how to cut off limbs (or other body parts).

Chronos
2015-12-29, 10:05 AM
What is a "fast healing environment"? I've only ever heard of it being a property of individual creatures (usually due to racial abilities, sometimes due to class or a spell effect). Are there environments where everyone has fast healing?

Inevitability
2015-12-29, 10:20 AM
What is a "fast healing environment"? I've only ever heard of it being a property of individual creatures (usually due to racial abilities, sometimes due to class or a spell effect). Are there environments where everyone has fast healing?

Yes. Examples are the World Serpent Inn's main room and the Positive Energy Plane.

martixy
2015-12-29, 05:32 PM
Let me rephrase that, there generally is no way to cut off limbs except through DM fiat. Some specific creatures or weapons may have rules how to cut off limbs (or other body parts).

Do you mean just in the SRD? Cuz there is published material that allows you to go all choppy-choppy. My favourite variant is PF's Called Shots system.

Andezzar
2015-12-29, 06:15 PM
Do you mean just in the SRD? Cuz there is published material that allows you to go all choppy-choppy. My favourite variant is PF's Called Shots system.No, I meant 3.5. There are no hit locations in 3.5 and thus you cannot target and sever body parts except for some tacked on special rules (vorpal weapon, hydra, octopods etc.)

Necroticplague
2015-12-29, 06:34 PM
Some questions on Fast Healing (FH):

1) Based on what I've read, if you get a limb cut off the wound heals but the limb doesn't grow back correct even with Fast Healing?

2) In a Fast Healing environment (world, demiplane etc) if you get wounded and your enemy is also wounded, the wounds heal and so it will be difficult for both of you to kill each other quickly, yes?

3) In a Fast Healing environment (world, demiplane etc) for RP purposes say a character is being tortured, his wounds sustained would just heal over right? What is the character is being really badly tortured like say being skinned alive, wouldn't the FH just heal the wounds?

4) How does a FH environment interact with a Clone facility? If a Clone is being manufactured, would the FH environment accelerate the Clone process or mess with it?

1. Right. you need Regeneration (Fast Healing's big brother) to grow back limbs.

2. Not really. Typically, damage far outpaces Fast Healing at anything but the lowest levels.

3. There are rules in the BoVD for torture. Yes, Fast Healing does help you survive the damage that gets dealt. Do, however, note that many tortures inflict damage faster than most Fast healings will heal them.

4. Not at all.

it seems like you've heard of Fast Healing as a concept, but haven't actually seen the rules for it. Here you go. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_fasthealing&alpha=) it does what it says and nothing more.