PDA

View Full Version : Dismemberment in Myth

Serpentine
2015-12-29, 09:24 AM
Short version: gimme names of gods, people and creatures that lose or are born without limbs (especially tails) or are in someway deformed or similar.

Long version: When I was 14 I got a kitten for my birthday. I ended up calling him Moses because he had a big M on his forehead, and also the original Moses parted the Red Sea to keep his toesies dry. Moses died earlier this year, and I've just acquired a new kitten to keep me company. I'd like to name him in a similar way to Moses, with reference to his physical traits and to a religious or mythical figure. This kitten's most obvious features are a nubby little nub of a cute little nub tail, and a patch of black on his face that makes the tip of his nose black and gives him a sort of beard. So I'd like to name him after some mythical figure or creature that reflects his nubbiness, with bonus points if it's someone who had an issue with water.

So far the frontrunners are Tyr and Grendel, with honourable mention to the Aztec Tezcatlipoca for fitting the story I'm after and including "cat" in the name. Got any additions? (Just names can do)

Madbox
2015-12-29, 09:30 AM
Sounds really cute! Osiris is a possible name. Dude got hacked up into pieces, and was resurrected as the god of the dead, minus one part that was tossed in a river and eaten by a fish. Not to mention, Ancient Egyptians loved cats and all their male gods had beards.

Serpentine
2015-12-29, 09:36 AM
Sounds really cute! Osiris is a possible name. Dude got hacked up into pieces, and was resurrected as the god of the dead, minus one part that was tossed in a river and eaten by a fish. Not to mention, Ancient Egyptians loved cats and all their male gods had beards.
Osiris did occur to me, but there is the issue of what the "one part" was... Still a possibility, though.

Fri
2015-12-29, 09:36 AM
Short version: gimme names of gods, people and creatures that lose or are born without limbs (especially tails) or are in someway deformed or similar.

Long version: When I was 14 I got a kitten for my birthday. I ended up calling him Moses because he had a big M on his forehead, and also the original Moses parted the Red Sea to keep his toesies dry. Moses died earlier this year, and I've just acquired a new kitten to keep me company. I'd like to name him in a similar way to Moses, with reference to his physical traits and to a religious or mythical figure. This kitten's most obvious features are a nubby little nub of a cute little nub tail, and a patch of black on his face that makes the tip of his nose black and gives him a sort of beard. So I'd like to name him after some mythical figure or creature that reflects his nubbiness, with bonus points if it's someone who had an issue with water.

So far the frontrunners are Tyr and Grendel, with honourable mention to the Aztec Tezcatlipoca for fitting the story I'm after and including "cat" in the name. Got any additions? (Just names can do)

Sorry, you just can't beat Tezcat.

ArlEammon
2015-12-29, 11:44 AM
Tyr lost an arm fighting Fenrir.

Serpentine
2015-12-29, 11:54 AM
Not fighting, just sticking it in his mouth. But yeah, that's on the list.
The more I think about Osiris the more I like it, but it's so naff :smallsigh:

ArlEammon
2015-12-29, 11:55 AM
Not fighting, just sticking it in his mouth. But yeah, that's on the list.
The more I think about Osiris the more I like it, but it's so naff :smallsigh:

Odin. . . um. . . Nuada.

factotum
2015-12-29, 01:32 PM
Frodo lost a finger to Gollum in the Cracks of Doom. :smallsmile:

Anarion
2015-12-29, 02:25 PM
Saturn/Kronos had some parts cut off of him in the course of Zeus doing his thing.

Sati/Dakshayani (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sati_(goddess)) ended up in 51 pieces.

Izanagi and Izanami weren't dismembered exactly, but bits and pieces that came off them turned into other gods, and Izanami ended up getting quite undead in her time.

Eldariel
2015-12-29, 02:58 PM
Well, the Yakut "Abaasy" are one-armed, one-legged, one-eyed demons. That could sorta count? The Chinese rain-god, Kui, is one-legged.

Bulldog Psion
2015-12-29, 03:38 PM
Frodo lost a finger to Gollum in the Cracks of Doom. :smallsmile:

Sauron also lost a finger. :smallcool:

BannedInSchool
2015-12-29, 04:08 PM
Tyr lost an arm fighting Fenrir.

A bit more fighting in Beren losing his hand to Carcharoth.

TechnOkami
2015-12-29, 05:05 PM
Anakin and Luke Skywalker both lost limbs.

General Grievous has 80-90% of his body replaced with machinery.

Asura from Asura's Wrath CONSTANTLY loses and regains limbs.

Guts from Berserk has a badass prosthetic.

Götz Von Berlichingen was a major inspiration for Guts.

Uuh... that's all I've got off the top of my head.

Frozen_Feet
2015-12-29, 05:21 PM
Lieto Lemminkäinen was chopped into pieces and thrown into river of Tuoni. His mother fished the pieces from the river and put him back together, asking a bee to bring honey from the gods to heal him.

enderlord99
2015-12-29, 05:50 PM
Hephaestus works, IIRC.

ThinkMinty
2015-12-29, 06:25 PM

Osiris, who was already mentioned, as well as Kronos. Hephaestus/Vulcan was crippled after bring thrown off a mountain, so that's partial credit? Also, Odin willingly gave up an eye so magic birds would teach him to be a wizard, and now he looks like Pirate Viking Santa.

Scarlet Knight
2015-12-29, 06:26 PM
Ganesh has an elephant's head because Shiva decapitated him.

BannedInSchool
2015-12-29, 08:06 PM
IIRC, in one of the mythological stories of Watership Down the rabbit hero El-ahrairah lost his tail, whiskers, and ears. Possibly a little rude to name one of the thousand enemies of rabbits with his name, though.

The_Snark
2015-12-29, 08:14 PM
Hephaestus works, IIRC.

Hephaestus was born with a club foot, I believe. Not a bad fit for a kitty with a beard/soot mark and a club tail.

Serpentine
2015-12-30, 12:01 AM
Thanks all. I think Osiris is winning, but it's such a naff, kinda cliched name...

lurkmeister
2015-12-30, 03:26 AM
Is it a traditional or modern myth you want?

I'd point out that Edward Elric lost his arm and leg, and his brother Alponse, his whole body.

In Tamrielic lore, Lorkhan was killed and his dismembered corpse made up the world.

Grrr I know there have to be more dismemberment myths out there but I don't have any in near memory!

enderlord99
2015-12-30, 03:52 AM
Thanks all. I think Osiris is winning, but it's such a naff, kinda cliched name...

Also, when you consider who he was married to, that could also cause problems (or maybe not.)

comicshorse
2015-12-30, 06:56 AM
Prometheus gets his liver ripped out on a regular basis

Eldan
2015-12-30, 07:46 AM
Orpheus was ripped apart and beheaded. Or disembodied, I guess, since the head lived on. Dyonisus was ripped apart by the titans.

Oh yeah, since Lorkhan was mentioned, in Norse mythology, Ymir was dismembered and from his bodyparts, the world was built.

lurkmeister
2015-12-30, 07:56 AM
Oh yeah, since Lorkhan was mentioned, in Norse mythology, Ymir was dismembered and from his bodyparts, the world was built.
Dammit now I'm gonna name a cat "Ymir"...

BannedInSchool
2015-12-30, 09:52 AM

So just spell it backwards. Siriso! That's really original. :smallwink:

Too bad it has to be mythology. Andreas Katsulas was missing an arm as the One-Armed Man in The Fugitive, lost and eye as G'Kar in Babylon 5, and his name has "Kat" in it.

Serpentine
2015-12-30, 09:56 AM
I think I'm going with Aesop, actually. According to legend he was kinda deformed, and he wrote a lot of stories about animals losing or gaining tails.

Ashen Lilies
2015-12-30, 10:09 AM

You could still go with an alternate spelling, like Aser, Asiri, Ausar, or Uasir/Wesir/Wsir.

Ravens_cry
2015-12-30, 12:00 PM
Osiris is especially appropriate if you get him neutered, which you probably should anyway.

Teddy
2015-12-30, 07:08 PM
It's not particulary mythological, but I would drop a nod to Pelle Svanslös (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelle_Svansl%C3%B6s), who is a popular Swedish children's book character with just a stub for a tail (it was bitten off by a rat when he was as a kitten).

cucchulainnn
2016-01-01, 02:58 PM
how about Nuada the silver arm, first king of the tuathe de danuann. as his name implies he had a silver prosthetic arm. all around cool guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuada_Airgetl%C3%A1m