PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Trixx's Childhood Spells (contest spells)

Alerad
2015-12-29, 09:55 AM
Only two spells, but I might add more later.
One of my player's character is a Wizard/dwarven princess. I designed these spells for her to find when she recovers her childhood spellbook.

Trixx's Fashionable Hat (Original version)
1st level conjuration
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: Self
Components: S
Duration: 8 hours
You summon a hat made of force which springs into existence above you and lands on your head.
It is very fashionable.

While the original spell which Trixx designed as a child is more of a show-off, the redesigned version adds more functionality while keeping the hat as fashionable as possible.

In addition to the original version, the improved hat has the following attributes:
- You have resistance to the damage dealt by Magic Missile while the hat is on your person.
- You can show your hat during a conversation with another creature and point out how fashionable it is. This gives you advantage on one Persuasion check against that creature. You can use this feature only once on a creature. If you use it on too many creatures, the rumor can spread and the DM may rule that other creatures are not impressed with your hat anymore. All these restrictions are lifted once the local fashion changes, which takes no longer than one week.

1st level necromancy (ritual)
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: 10 feet
Components: V, S, M (A decorated doll which costs at least 10gp, and which the spell consumes)
Duration: Instantaneous

You gain the service of a talking doll, possessed by a soul fragment of an ancestor of yours. The doll only has a fragment of the soul, so it might display some personality traits, but does not posses the real memories or character of your ancestor. The doll is considered undead construct for the purposes of effects and damage, but otherwise acts like a familiar. (Find Familiar)

Talking Doll
Tiny undead construct
AC 10, Speed 15 feet, HP 1
Str 2 (-4) Dex 10 Con 10 Int 10 Wis 10 Cha 12 (+1)
Languages: Undesrtands all languages its creator knows, but when it speaks only its creator seems to understand it.
Damage Immunities: Poison
Condition Immunities: Poisoned, Frightened, Charmed, Exhausted

Undead Fortitude. If damage reduces the doll to 0 hit points, it must make a Constitution saving throw with DC of 5 + the damage taken, unless the damage is fire, radiant or from a critical hit. On a success, the doll drop to 1 hit point instead.

The doll doesn't have any attacks that can actually damage others.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-12-29, 10:19 AM
I would say the Fashionable Hat should be a cantrip (and a conjuration, to boot), unless you give it some mechanical function. Advantage on Persuasion checks might be enough to justify a first level slot - that makes it like a lesser Enhance Ability.

It's a cool idea though. Spells tailored for your players are always nice.

Alerad
2015-12-29, 10:58 AM
I was thinking the same, to make it a cantrip. But then I decided, if you're not cool enough to spend a spell slot on a spell that doesn't have any other function beyond being itself - it's not for you. I know that's far from optimal, but that's the intention behind it.

Edit: You're right, it's conjuration. It was originally Leomund's Fashionable Hat, I just checked the chest description.

Alerad
2015-12-30, 03:10 AM
Added the Talking doll statistics and created two versions of the fashionable hat spell - original (as a child) and improved (as an adult).