PDA

View Full Version : Cull Wand Essence + Eternal Wand

LordOfCain
2015-12-29, 10:31 AM
Does the feat Cull Wand Essence from Magic of Eberron work with eternal wands from the Magic Item Compendium? I am asking because I was wondering if my necromancer could use his eternal wand of bestow curse to also directly do damage.

Snowbluff
2015-12-29, 10:38 AM
I think the argument against would be that Eternal Wands are not Wands, but Wondrous Items.

As for if it's true... *shrug*

LordOfCain
2015-12-29, 11:28 AM
I think the argument against would be that Eternal Wands are not Wands, but Wondrous Items.

As for if it's true... *shrug*

But I believe the feat says that it is used with spell trigger items such as rods or wands. Not just wands.
Sorry for the typo.

Snowbluff
2015-12-29, 11:34 AM
But I believe the feat says that it is used with spell completion items such as rods or wands. Not just wands.

I don't think the item is considered a spell completion item... oh you mean spell trigger. Yeah, I guess it would work then.

It's not much better than owning a damaging eternal want, like scorching ray. May I kindly suggest buying a Ruenstaff with spells like Hail of Stone and Scorching Ray instead of grabbing the feat? It would be more effective and would not cost you a feat, just skill points to UMD because you need to pretend to know the spells. :smalltongue:

LordOfCain
2015-12-29, 11:51 AM
I don't think the item is considered a spell completion item... oh you mean spell trigger. Yeah, I guess it would work then.

It's not much better than owning a damaging eternal want, like scorching ray. May I kindly suggest buying a Ruenstaff with spells like Hail of Stone and Scorching Ray instead of grabbing the feat? It would be more effective and would not cost you a feat, just skill points to UMD because you need to pretend to know the spells. :smalltongue:

I'm actually only a level 3 death master (from the Dragon Compendium) and a mashup of non-casting PrCs. It is quite sub-optimal but the build is using the undead companion and animate dead spells to quite an effect. What is the price of the runestaff?

LordOfCain
2015-12-29, 12:19 PM
Would Double Wand Wielder work with eternal wands?

Cruiser1
2015-12-29, 01:00 PM
I'd rule that Eternal Wands are wands. They require the Craft Wand feat to make. The descriptive fluff calls such items a "long, tapered wand" and "a new form of wand". The only difference is they have just 2 charges that recharge each day. (In that respect they're similar to a Pathfinder staff vs. a 3.5 staff, with fewer charges but a way to restore them.) Eternal Wands also behave like spell trigger items (just like standard wands) even if the text for them doesn't actually say "spell trigger" anywhere.

LordOfCain
2015-12-29, 01:11 PM
Okay, my current idea is dual wielding an eternal wand and a regular wand and use Cull Wand Essence to do damage with them. The regular wand will be a wand of NoLight by a bars however, due to my character's ring of the darkhidden.

Snowbluff
2015-12-29, 01:21 PM
I'm actually only a level 3 death master (from the Dragon Compendium) and a mashup of non-casting PrCs. It is quite sub-optimal but the build is using the undead companion and animate dead spells to quite an effect. What is the price of the runestaff?
The pricing formula is thus (Magic Item Compendium 223):
The Highest level spell: Spell level squared x 400 gp .
The other spells (up to 4): Spell level squared x 200 gp .

So you have a Runestaff of Poking, with Scorching Ray and Hail of Stone, the price would be 1800 gp (1600 for Scorching Ray, 200 for Hail of Stone).
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/useMagicDevice.htm

Would Double Wand Wielder work with eternal wands?

I'd rule that Eternal Wands are wands. They require the Craft Wand feat to make. The descriptive fluff calls such items a "long, tapered wand" and "a new form of wand". The only difference is they have just 2 charges that recharge each day. (In that respect they're similar to a Pathfinder staff vs. a 3.5 staff, with fewer charges but a way to restore them.) Eternal Wands also behave like spell trigger items (just like standard wands) even if the text for them doesn't actually say "spell trigger" anywhere.

Yeah, I mean it says they are wands. Some people disagree. :smalltongue:

If you're using Double Wand Wielder, I suggest 2 gauntlets with Wand Chambers in them so your hands are free (Dungeonscape, IIRC).

LordOfCain
2015-12-29, 01:37 PM
Runestaffs let you cast spells that are on your spell list. Scorching ray and hail of stone are not on a death master's spell list. How would the wand chambers interact with the Double Wand Wielder feat?

Jeff the Green
2015-12-29, 01:50 PM
Runestaffs let you cast spells that are on your spell list.

That's what UMD is for.

Snowbluff
2015-12-29, 01:59 PM
Runestaffs let you cast spells that are on your spell list. Scorching ray and hail of stone are not on a death master's spell list. How would the wand chambers interact with the Double Wand Wielder feat?
Wand Chambers count as holding the wands if you are holding the weapon.

That's what UMD is for.

Mhm. If I didn't make it clear, emulate the sorc/wiz spellcasting as a class feature. UMD DC 20.

LordOfCain
2015-12-29, 02:01 PM
Okay. Thanks. If I use wand chambers in gauntlets I could use a wand bracer. Can you use two wand bracers at the same time?

Snowbluff
2015-12-29, 02:08 PM
Okay. Thanks. If I use wand chambers in gauntlets I could use a wand bracer. Can you use two wand bracers at the same time?

Wand bracers? Little guys that hold wands with strings? If they aren't magical, you can probably get away with having two, one on each arm.

LordOfCain
2015-12-29, 02:20 PM
If I have 2 wand bracers and 2 gauntlets with wand chambers, I would have the choice of which of 12 wands to use without having to take an action to draw it. :smallbiggrin:

Snowbluff
2015-12-29, 02:29 PM
If I have 2 wand bracers and 2 gauntlets with wand chambers, I would have the choice of which of 12 wands to use without having to take an action to draw it. :smallbiggrin:
Wand Bracers take a swift action. You might want to go with QuickDraw/Lesser Weapon Crystal of Return with the wands/swords that have wand chambers for free action swapping.

LordOfCain
2015-12-29, 02:31 PM
However, I can still draw a new wand 1/round. Which should be sufficient for my build.

LordOfCain
2015-12-29, 03:09 PM
I had to stick the build together with duct tape and bubble gum but it is finally done. The main feats for spellcasting/wands are as follows: Craft Wand, Cull Wand Essence, Two Weapon Fighting, Double Wand Wielder, Practiced Spellcaster, Varisian Tattoo, Wand Mastery, and Spell Focus (Necromancy). It is a human level 12 gestalt build worshipping an Elder Evil and had to have 2 flaws to get all of the feats and still be an adequate melee character as it is not a full caster. The build is Monk 5/Drunken Master 1/Death Master 3/Warshaper 1/Fist of the Forest 1/Totemist 1//Barbarian 6/Frenzied Barbarian 2/Frostrager 1/Bear Warrior 1/Warshaper 1/Werebear Savage Progression 1. (It's gestalt)

LordOfCain
2015-12-29, 05:26 PM
Assuming that the fluff of Occult Slayer is not wholly enforced, I might dip 2 levels of Occult Slayer next in order to get the bonus on saving throws and the spell turning effect. Any opinions?

Deadline
2015-12-29, 06:43 PM
I had to stick the build together with duct tape and bubble gum but it is finally done. The main feats for spellcasting/wands are as follows: Craft Wand, Cull Wand Essence, Two Weapon Fighting, Double Wand Wielder, Practiced Spellcaster, Varisian Tattoo, Wand Mastery, and Spell Focus (Necromancy). It is a human level 12 gestalt build worshipping an Elder Evil and had to have 2 flaws to get all of the feats and still be an adequate melee character as it is not a full caster. The build is Monk 5/Drunken Master 1/Death Master 3/Warshaper 1/Fist of the Forest 1/Totemist 1//Barbarian 6/Frenzied Barbarian 2/Frostrager 1/Bear Warrior 1/Warshaper 1/Werebear Savage Progression 1. (It's gestalt)

What ... what is it that your build is trying to do? I can't quite figure out why you took most of that. It looks like it turns into a bear and eats face, but the other half of the gestalt looks like a tremendous mess. Also, I don't think you can have the same class on both sides of the gestalt.

Jack_Simth
2015-12-29, 06:52 PM
Does the feat Cull Wand Essence from Magic of Eberron work with eternal wands from the Magic Item Compendium? I am asking because I was wondering if my necromancer could use his eternal wand of bestow curse to also directly do damage.

Let's see... Magic Item Compendium, page 159, activation for an Eternal Wand is a command word (part of the summary), even though it requires the ability to cast arcane spells to use.

The feat in question specifies a spell trigger device.

So... no, not going to work. A command-word item is not a spell trigger device.

LordOfCain
2015-12-30, 09:30 AM
What ... what is it that your build is trying to do? I can't quite figure out why you took most of that. It looks like it turns into a bear and eats face, but the other half of the gestalt looks like a tremendous mess. Also, I don't think you can have the same class on both sides of the gestalt.
The other half of the gestalt you refer to is just so it can do various cool things like minor necromancy, strength boosts, and other things. Can you point me to some rules where it says you cannot have the same classes on different sides of a gestalt at different levels?

Deadline
2015-12-30, 12:41 PM
The other half of the gestalt you refer to is just so it can do various cool things like minor necromancy, strength boosts, and other things. Can you point me to some rules where it says you cannot have the same classes on different sides of a gestalt at different levels?

Huh, I don't see anything that restricts you taking all Prestige class levels for a given PrC on one side of a gestalt (could've sworn that was in there somewhere). There is, however, this rather important bit that you'll need to sort out:

A gestalt character can't combine two prestige classes at any level, although it's okay to combine a prestige class and a regular class.

That kind of blows your class progression up. At level 10, you take a level of Warshaper (a PrC) on one side, and a level of Bear Warrior (a PrC) on the other side, which violates that quoted bit.

LordOfCain
2015-12-30, 02:54 PM
Huh, I don't see anything that restricts you taking all Prestige class levels for a given PrC on one side of a gestalt (could've sworn that was in there somewhere). There is, however, this rather important bit that you'll need to sort out:

That kind of blows your class progression up. At level 10, you take a level of Warshaper (a PrC) on one side, and a level of Bear Warrior (a PrC) on the other side, which violates that quoted bit.

Hm... I suppose I could switch around the progression. It should still be playable...