PDA

View Full Version : Liches and Grafts

Madara
2015-12-29, 12:45 PM
Let's say a Kobold receives a feathered wing graft and then undergoes the lich process. Do the wings still function?

If the wings are grafted after lichdom has started, do they function?

If the wings do function post-lichdom, and the Kobold Lich is destroyed and begins to regrow at his Phylactery, does he grow with the graft attached?

Alphasez
2015-12-29, 12:50 PM
I would say, yes, yes, and yes.

Though I have no text to back this up. You're welcome. :P

Madara
2015-12-29, 01:43 PM
That's what I was thinking, but I'd like a little evidence. :smalltongue:

OldTrees1
2015-12-29, 02:11 PM
Liches tend to not regrow items when they regrow their body. Grafts probably act similarly to items. So it would probably still be on the kobold corpse but could be reattached to the lich.

DrMotives
2015-12-29, 04:01 PM
The first 2 questions are solid yeses. The last one is a little iffy, I can see it being ruled either way. But I'd say yes to it as well.

Eugoraton Feiht
2015-12-29, 04:12 PM
Considering Lich Dragons are still able to fly I would say yes.

Zanos
2015-12-29, 05:28 PM
Some types of grafts specify that they must be attached to a living creature in order to function.

If it doesn't say that, its fair game.

I would say no to the last one, the wings remain on his destroyed body, but I think can be recovered.

Necroticplague
2015-12-29, 06:22 PM
Let's say a Kobold receives a feathered wing graft and then undergoes the lich process. Do the wings still function?

If the wings are grafted after lichdom has started, do they function?

If the wings do function post-lichdom, and the Kobold Lich is destroyed and begins to regrow at his Phylactery, does he grow with the graft attached?

1. Yes. Absolutely nothing in the general rules for grafts say the creature has to be living. Considering Undead grafts can be attached to living things, I don't see why living things couldn't be grafted to undead creatures.

2. Yes, see above.

3. Yes. A graft is not an independent thing from the character that has it. it is, in every way, a part of the character, just as much as there race.
For the rules to back this up:

Grafts have no statistics of their own. A graft might enhance some ability or characteristic of the creature it’s attached to,or grant the creature some new ability.
[irrelevant stuff]
Grafts are not magic items,[rules for creating grafts]
A graft is not a magic item: It does not radiate magic once completed, it does not count against a creature’s limit for magic items worn, it does not have a caster level, and it is very hard, if not impossible, to salvage as treasure. It does, however, count against the treasure value of the creature with the graft, which means that creatures with grafts are still appropriate challenges for their normal Challenge Rating, but have reduced treasure.

Madara
2015-12-30, 03:02 AM
-Snip-
For the rules to back this up:

That was what I figured, but I really wasn't sure where to find the exact rule. Thanks :smallsmile: