PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Idea: The Immortal.

Belac93
2015-12-29, 02:52 PM
This is an idea I had for a character that can live forever. The most typical of these is either warforged or druid. But how old can you get, without having to resort to magic items or epic boons? While we're at it, lets make this character impossible to kill.

This idea starts with elves. Specifically, drow. In the players handbook, we see that elves have an adulthood age of 100 years old, and a maximum of 750 years old. However, from dnd novels, we can comfortably assume that these are 50 year adulthood and 1000 or more year maximum for drow. I will be doing 2 separate calculations, one for all elves (if you want to go by the players handbood), and one for drow (for everyone else).

A character will get their first player level at adulthood (just saying this, doesn't have to be true,) so lets take a level in warlock, and take the Undying patron.

At level 1 you have false life, at 2 you can cast it an unlimited amount of times.

By level 6 you have aged about 2-3 years, setting you at 103 (53 for drow) years old, you gain defy death to let you heal when you succeed on a death saving throw or save another creature.

It gets real at level 10, when you are about 110 year old (60 for drow). This gives you Undying Nature, so that you age 10-times slower, and do not need to sleep, eat, drink, or breath. At level 14 you can reattach limbs.

So by level 10, a normal elf can live another 6400 years, 9400 for drow. This is enough to let you qualify as a Time abyss. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TimeAbyss) Add in the invocation Master of Myriad Forms, you can cast Alter Self at will. You can be anyone and everyone, you are nearly immortal, and do not need to sleep except to regain hit points, because warlocks regain spell slots on short rests.

What do you think? Ready for the longest campaign ever?

DracoKnight
2015-12-29, 03:15 PM
This is an idea I had for a character that can live forever. The most typical of these is either warforged or druid. But how old can you get, without having to resort to magic items or epic boons? While we're at it, lets make this character impossible to kill.

This idea starts with elves. Specifically, drow. In the players handbook, we see that elves have an adulthood age of 100 years old, and a maximum of 750 years old. However, from dnd novels, we can comfortably assume that these are 50 year adulthood and 1000 or more year maximum for drow. I will be doing 2 separate calculations, one for all elves (if you want to go by the players handbood), and one for drow (for everyone else).

A character will get their first player level at adulthood (just saying this, doesn't have to be true,) so lets take a level in warlock, and take the Undying patron.

At level 1 you have false life, at 2 you can cast it an unlimited amount of times.

By level 6 you have aged about 2-3 years, setting you at 103 (53 for drow) years old, you gain defy death to let you heal when you succeed on a death saving throw or save another creature.

It gets real at level 10, when you are about 110 year old (60 for drow). This gives you Undying Nature, so that you age 10-times slower, and do not need to sleep, eat, drink, or breath. At level 14 you can reattach limbs.

So by level 10, a normal elf can live another 6400 years, 9400 for drow. This is enough to let you qualify as a Time abyss. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TimeAbyss) Add in the invocation Master of Myriad Forms, you can cast Alter Self at will. You can be anyone and everyone, you are nearly immortal, and do not need to sleep except to regain hit points, because warlocks regain spell slots on short rests.

What do you think? Ready for the longest campaign ever?

This is absolutely fantastic! I mean, you've unlocked the secret to near-immortality. It's just about time for you to say Geronimo and take the plunge, don't you think? I mean, that alter self is just icing on the cake really... You could live so many lives...10 lifetimes is...almost 13...13 different faces. You might even end up ginger. Well, what are you waiting for? Alons-y!

Tarvil
2015-12-29, 03:15 PM
Or you can pick Oath of the Ancients Paladin and live forever from lvl 15. Playing a wizard and jumping into young clove after every death is quite easy too.

Belac93
2015-12-29, 03:21 PM
Or you can pick Oath of the Ancients Paladin and live forever from lvl 15. Playing a wizard and jumping into young clone after every death is quite easy too.

I was trying to get it as fast as possible. Also, with the ancients paladin, the text is no drawbacks of old age. Back when 5e first came out, I saw a thread on this, and I think sage advice talked about it. It does not make you immortal, you just do not look older or get less strong and fast.

The advantage of this over clone is that you still retain your full effectiveness. You are not expending money or spell slots on clones.

This is absolutely fantastic!
Thanks! :)

Socratov
2015-12-29, 03:24 PM
I too like it. However, how would you make this happen? Would you make another patron?

Douche
2015-12-29, 03:29 PM
If you really wanted to Ra's al Ghul it up, you could just be a wizard and create a bunch of clones of yourself. Then each time you die, your soul transfers to a new clone that you have stashed in hundreds of secret locations across the globe.

Edit: Didn't see this post

The advantage of this over clone is that you still retain your full effectiveness. You are not expending money or spell slots on clones.

Wait, does clone require you to have that spell slot spent as long as you want to maintain it's "life"? Doesn't say anything like that in the spell description. using one spell slot every 3 months or something isn't a big deal... and if you're gonna be Ra's al Ghul, the money and components are no object. Plus, I don't see any contingency for you if you actually do get killed or imprisoned.

Belac93
2015-12-29, 03:29 PM
I too like it. However, how would you make this happen? Would you make another patron?

There is an Undying warlock patron in the sword coast adventurers guide if thats what you meant. If you meant the actual patron, I would say the Undying Court of Aerenal.

If you really wanted to Ra's al Ghul it up, you could just be a wizard and create a bunch of clones of yourself. Then each time you die, your soul transfers to a new clone that you have stashed in hundreds of secret locations across the globe.

Like I said, above, that takes money and spell slots. If you are using Wish, that takes till level 17, you might as well be a druid. Clone you do not get till level 15, this is by level 10.

Tanarii
2015-12-29, 03:37 PM
"Hey Boss, I think we're going to need a lot more than twenty levels for this one."
- Underling to the Creator God.

SharkForce
2015-12-29, 08:19 PM
it takes money that is largely useless for other things, and a single spell slot per life span (so, what, every few hundred years for the proposed elf?) if you can't find ways to make large sums of money every few hundred years, and you can't spare a single level 8 spell slot every few hundred years, well... you're doing something *really* weird.

Belac93
2015-12-29, 08:26 PM
The clone stuff is true. This was mainly finding the lowest level. You could have a wizard ally to cast clone for him/herself every few years, and for you every few millennia.

But if you really just want to life the longest possible, just have someone cast imprisonment on you, release clause: "Whenever I want to or when the world ends." Thats possibly the simplest way, but so is being an elf and using the magic item that turns you into a tree. Or simply getting to level 21 and getting the immortality epic boon.

This was not the best, easiest, funnest way of gaining immortality. It's the fastest.