PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Football in the Playground?

Pages : [1] 2

Roland St. Jude
2015-12-29, 11:29 PM
While this was used to run a league in 2016-17, it's now just a FF discussion thread.

As another year of fantasy football comes to a close, I couldn't help but wonder whether there were any fantasy football players here? How did your year go?

Anyone here play or interested in playing season-long fantasy football? Perhaps I could start a semi-official GitP league next year, if there's sufficient interest.

Note: We should probably avoid discussion of daily fantasy, given its legal status.

THE LEAGUE BASICS:

League on NFL.com
Standard NFL scoring and other settings; EDIT: (I did make one change to standard scoring. 40-49 yd FG are worth 4 points.)
If we get 8+ players, we'll do standard roster 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1FLEX(RB/WR/TE)/1K/1DST/6BENCH/1RES
If we get 6 players, we'll do 2QB/3RB/3WR/1TE/2FLEX(RB/WR/TE)/1K/1DST/6BENCH/1RES
If we get an odd number of teams, we'll add a bot team that will autodraft and I'll set the lineup per NFL scoring predictions, and otherwise add/drop players in as simple and direct a fashion as I can. The bot will not trade. If the bot wins, we will all be embarrassed.
Players who don't set their lineups will find themselves warned the first time, then blocked the second time, and their teams given the bot treatment. If I end up playing all the teams by the end of the season, I'll be rather peeved.
Waivers will be "move to last after claim, never reset." (I'd accept "reset weekly to inverse of standings," by majority vote, if people want to promote parity in the league.)
Live online snake draft, though you can allow the computer to autodraft for you.
EDIT: Draft to be either Tuesday 10 pm EST. Saturday Sept. 3 at 3 pm EST or Tuesday Sept. 6 at 7 pm EST, depending on when we get a quorum. There's a Thursday 9/8 game, so the latest possible draft would be Wednesday Sept. 7 in the evening.
Four team playoffs in Week 15&16
In a blatant abuse of power, I will offer custom titles for regular season and playoff champions. (Custom title of my choosing for a duration of my choosing or until Rich tells me to knock it off.)
In another blatant abuse of my power, I reserve the right in Goodell-esque fashion to make changes as we go "for the good of the league." I hope it doesn't come to that.

Olinser
2015-12-29, 11:59 PM
As another year of fantasy football comes to a close, I couldn't help but wonder whether there were any fantasy football players here? How did your year go?

Anyone here play or interested in playing season-long fantasy football? Perhaps I could start a semi-official GitP league next year, if there's sufficient interest.

Note: We should probably avoid discussion of daily fantasy, given its legal status.

My season was plagued by injuries, I lost Julian Edelman, Vincent Jackson and Marshawn Lynch at various points, and had picked up Arian Foster in anticipation of him coming back (then he was out for the season 2 weeks after coming back). Despite that I still finished 5th in our 12 person family league.

I'd be down for a GiTP league, as long as people are actually going to play the whole season. Nothing is more annoying than starting a league and having people basically quit after a few weeks and hand out free wins to people that happen to face them when their players are on bye week but still being played.

DJ Yung Crunk
2015-12-31, 02:44 AM
I would love to start up but there's a significant barrier of entry, given that I'm a filthy foreigner.

Roland St. Jude
2015-12-31, 09:05 PM
I would love to start up but there's a significant barrier of entry, given that I'm a filthy foreigner.What is the significant barrier to entry that you foresee?

DiscipleofBob
2016-01-06, 09:31 AM
I tried fantasy football once.

They wouldn't let me use Superman, Hulk, or Gandalf though, just a bunch of guys I'd never heard of (I think one was some kind of Orc warrior or something), so I called it quits.

DJ Yung Crunk
2016-01-06, 09:45 AM
What is the significant barrier to entry that you foresee?

Don't exactly have the same access to the NFL.

tomandtish
2016-01-06, 04:39 PM
I finished third in my pay league, so no real drama there (same place I finished the regular season in).

The family league (10 teams) was more entertaining. I finished the regular season in first place despite finishing 8th in points for (152 points behind the team that finished 5th, 297 behind the team that finished 2nd, and 342 behind the highest scoring team which finished third). However I finished first (lowest) in points against, as I was 100 points lower in that category than the next lowest team. In short, I exemplified "Better lucky than good", as anyone who went up against me seemed to have a horrible week.

I won my semifinal the same way, but lost the finals to the team that finished third in regular season (which was the highest scoring team during the regular season).

Nomrom
2016-01-06, 05:05 PM
I was undefeated in the regular season while averaging 153 points. Then my team fell apart and I lost the second round of the playoffs (I had a first round bye) after only scoring 70 points. Incredibly disappointing end to the best season I'd ever played.

Also, I would be up for a GitP league next season.

LibraryOgre
2016-01-06, 07:58 PM
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww36/MrNexx/bloodbowl.jpg

DJ Yung Crunk
2016-01-07, 01:05 AM

I'm down. I dig it.

Roland St. Jude
2016-01-24, 03:35 PM

I'd be down for a GiTP league, as long as people are actually going to play the whole season...

I finished third in my pay league, so no real drama there (same place I finished the regular season in).

The family league (10 teams) was more entertaining...

I'm down. I dig it.
So that's four or maybe five of us. Not enough, really, but let's keep the dream alive for now. I'll create a league and post the proposed rules/policies when the sites turn over to next season. I'd like 10 or 12 team, but could probably go with as few as 8. Six teams would require significant adjustment, but I suppose it's possible.

Anyway, subscribe to this thread, if you're interested, and I'll update it when things switch over to the 2016-17 season.

tomandtish
2016-01-25, 12:01 AM
I'd be up for it.

Roland St. Jude
2016-08-30, 10:32 PM
Sheriff: Permission to revive this thread has been granted.

Nice. Okay, folks, this is where the rubber meets the road. Are there enough people on here to do a GitP Fantasy Football League?

If you're new to fantasy football, that's okay. I don't mind explaining and there are a ton of online resources. It's fun, but it's also a season long commitment.

Time is short, so let's get down to business. Here's my proposal:

League on NFL.com
Standard NFL scoring and other settings
If we get 8+ players, we'll do standard roster 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1FLEX(RB/WR/TE)/1K/1DST/6BENCH/1RES
If we get 6 players, we'll do 2QB/3RB/3WR/1TE/2FLEX(RB/WR/TE)/1K/1DST/6BENCH/1RES
If we get an odd number of teams, we'll add a bot team that will autodraft and I'll set the lineup per NFL scoring predictions, and otherwise add/drop players in as simple and direct a fashion as I can. The bot will not trade. If the bot wins, we will all be embarrassed.
Players who don't set their lineups will find themselves warned the first time, then blocked the second time, and their teams given the bot treatment. If I end up playing all the teams by the end of the season, I'll be rather peeved.
Waivers will be "move to last after claim, never reset." (I'd accept "reset weekly to inverse of standings," by majority vote, if people want to promote parity in the league.)
Live online snake draft, though you can allow the computer to autodraft for you.
Draft to be either Saturday Sept. 3 at 3 pm EST or Tuesday Sept. 6 at 7 pm EST, depending on when we get a quorum. There's a Thursday 9/8 game, so the latest possible draft would be Wednesday Sept. 7 in the evening.
Four team playoffs in Week 15&16
In a blatant abuse of power, I will offer custom titles for regular season and playoff champions. (Custom title of my choosing for a duration of my choosing or until Rich tells me to knock it off.)
In another blatant abuse of my power, I reserve the right in Goodell-esque fashion to make changes as we go "for the good of the league." I hope it doesn't come to that.

I can add other details, if needed. But I think that covers the basics. Who's ready for some (fantasy) football?!

Olinser
2016-08-31, 12:10 AM
I'd be down for it.

Just as long as people that actually sign up for it PLAY it. Nothing annoys me more than people that do the draft then ignore a league for the rest of the season, leaving in players that are hurt/on bye and effectively handing out free wins.

Ravian
2016-08-31, 12:18 AM

Exactly why I'm starting a Blood Bowl League for my university gaming scene this fall. Never liked regular American Football, not enough maiming (though it does try sometimes.)

Nomrom
2016-08-31, 08:50 AM
Sweet I completely forgot about this thread. I'm definitely in. I've never used NFL.com for a fantasy league, but I've got no problem trying it there. All of your other rules sound good to me.

In other fantasy news, I just did one draft last night for a league with some friends of mine, and I think I've got a pretty solid team. Plus, a lot of the other players made some very baffling choices so that should help me. I also have a draft tomorrow night for my work league, and that one needs to be good, because I've actually got money riding on that one.

MikelaC1
2016-08-31, 09:04 AM
Im down for this. Always wanted to see a GiTP FF league.

tomandtish
2016-08-31, 01:38 PM
I'm in. And either of those draft times works for me.

Nomrom
2016-08-31, 03:44 PM
Draft to be either Saturday Sept. 3 at 3 pm EST or Tuesday Sept. 6 at 7 pm EST, depending on when we get a quorum. There's a Thursday 9/8 game, so the latest possible draft would be Wednesday Sept. 7 in the evening.

I didn't see this part of your post. Saturday isn't as great a time for me; I'll be away at my wife's family for the Labor Day weekend. Also, it's right before A&M's opening game. If I need to, I can probably make it work, but I would prefer the Tuesday option.

Gnoman
2016-08-31, 08:49 PM
I'll join in.

Roland St. Jude
2016-08-31, 11:00 PM
I'd be down for it.

I'm definitely in.

Im down for this. Always wanted to see a GiTP FF league.

I'm in. And either of those draft times works for me.

I'll join in.

Including me, that's 6! So we are a go!

Hopefully, we'll get a few more takers in the next day or so. I'd really like to have 8. I'll set up the league Friday night with however many we've got and send out invites. PM me your email address and I'll send the info when I create the league.

We'll do the live draft Tuesday night at 7 EST.

Roland St. Jude
2016-08-31, 11:09 PM
In other fantasy news, I just did one draft last night for a league with some friends of mine, and I think I've got a pretty solid team. Plus, a lot of the other players made some very baffling choices so that should help me. I also have a draft tomorrow night for my work league, and that one needs to be good, because I've actually got money riding on that one.Good luck with the draft. My work draft was Tuesday night. It didn't quite work out like I'd thought it would, but I'm okay with my team. Too many people were autodrafting though, which made it go really fast. So it was less of a social event than I'd expected.

tomandtish
2016-09-01, 12:23 PM
My pay league drafts this Saturday at 11am, and my family league drafts this Sunday at noon. We tend to wait late so last minute injuries have a chance to clear out.

MikelaC1
2016-09-01, 12:56 PM
By the way, I hope none of you are Cheatriots fans....because if you are, we will have...issues.

Roland St. Jude
2016-09-01, 05:17 PM
By the way, I hope none of you are Cheatriots fans....because if you are, we will have...issues.Not I. I am a long-suffering Lions fan with various lesser loyalties.

So, the draft is currently set for: Tuesday (9/6) at 7 pm EST/6 pm CST.

I'm not opposed to setting a different time, if there something mutually agreeable to the six of us (and anyone who joins before I make the league Friday night (probably at or after 8 pm EST)).

Here's a Doodle poll: http://doodle.com/poll/73ytit23dtpzr8de. (These are start times and the polls start with 1 pm Sat. or Sunday, and 8 p.m. EST on Monday or Tuesday, all times EST.)

If there's not a time that literally all of us can do it, we'll leave it where it is.

Olinser
2016-09-01, 05:57 PM
Not I. I am a long-suffering Lions fan with various lesser loyalties.

So, the draft is currently set for: Tuesday (9/6) at 7 pm EST/6 pm CST.

I'm not opposed to setting a different time, if there something mutually agreeable to the six of us (and anyone who joins before I make the league Friday night (probably at or after 8 pm EST)).

Here's a Doodle poll: http://doodle.com/poll/73ytit23dtpzr8de. (These are start times and the polls start with 1 pm Sat. or Sunday, and 8 p.m. EST on Monday or Tuesday, all times EST.)

If there's not a time that literally all of us can do it, we'll leave it where it is.

Is there a way to move that to Monday rather than Tuesday? I've actually got to attend training that week Tues-Thurs from 9 am-8 PM EST, so I will be unavailable at 7 :( (or just move it a bit later in the day to 8 or 9 PM EST)

MikelaC1
2016-09-01, 06:33 PM
Saturday doesnt work for me, but any time Sunday, Monday or Tuesday evening work.

Aedilred
2016-09-01, 06:39 PM

Crow used to run a fantasy Blood Bowl league here. (Double fantasy football). The seventh and final season concluded a couple of months ago. I think there's a FUMBBL or other tabletop BB league here too somewhere.

Roland St. Jude
2016-09-01, 10:18 PM
Is there a way to move that to Monday rather than Tuesday? I've actually got to attend training that week Tues-Thurs from 9 am-8 PM EST, so I will be unavailable at 7 :( (or just move it a bit later in the day to 8 or 9 PM EST)Absolutely. If the poll shows that works for everyone, that's fine with me. I'm available all the times in the poll. Later Tuesday night is probably the best for me.

Pendulous
2016-09-01, 11:23 PM
I can play barring getting a good time for the draft. The current Tuesday at 6, I would be at work. Not really a fan of auto-drafting again. Did that last year in two leagues and tanked in both of em. Got to draft this year, and I'd like to say I got a good team, assuming Jamal Charles can stay healthy.

Gnoman
2016-09-01, 11:24 PM
Monday evening should work for me.

Roland St. Jude
2016-09-02, 12:11 AM
I can play barring getting a good time for the draft. The current Tuesday at 6, I would be at work. Not really a fan of auto-drafting again. Did that last year in two leagues and tanked in both of em. Got to draft this year, and I'd like to say I got a good team, assuming Jamal Charles can stay healthy.Cool! You're #7. At this point, we're looking at an 8-team league with one bot-player.

If people could please do the Doodle poll, I'd appreciate it. It doesn't require any sign up or anything and creates a really simple visual of who can draft when.

Pendulous
2016-09-02, 12:38 AM
Filled it out. Basically, if it's not Monday, I can't make it. My schedule and the way I get to work and sleep means I pretty much can't do anything on work days until 11 p.m. Central time, and that's if I hurry home. Tuesday night I work a mid-shift instead of close, so I get home a couple hours earlier.

Roland St. Jude
2016-09-02, 01:27 PM
Monday night is looking pretty promising right now. I added in the thread comments by Gnoman and Olinser to the poll.

That just leaves tomandtish - could you do the poll and let us all know whether Monday night works for you?

tomandtish
2016-09-02, 01:46 PM
Poll completed. Monday is bad for me. I work onsite that day (2p - 12:30a). My work schedule is 2p - 12:30a Sun, Mon, Wed, Thur. I'm at home on Sun though. Work computers won't let the draft go through. I can try an app but not sure how much attention I could pay.

Roland St. Jude
2016-09-02, 04:43 PM
Ok, so Tuesday at 7 (as planned) has many conflicts. There are two times with only one one conflict:

Monday at any time 7-10 loses only tomandtish
Tuesday at 10 pm loses only Gnoman

tomandtish and Gnoman: if either of you is okay with autodrafting or using the app during your conflict time, please say so and we'll use that time.

Otherwise, I guess I'll flip a coin and the person with the conflict will just have to autodraft. My plan is still to form the league this evening. So I'll need to decide this tonight.

tomandtish
2016-09-02, 05:19 PM
Issue for me on Monday isn't so much the app, but can I pay attention at all. I work at a child abuse hotline so if staffing calls are busy I won't be able to pay attention to the draft at all.

Coin toss sounds fairest if it's just between the two of us.

Olinser
2016-09-02, 08:12 PM
Issue for me on Monday isn't so much the app, but can I pay attention at all. I work at a child abuse hotline so if staffing calls are busy I won't be able to pay attention to the draft at all.

Coin toss sounds fairest if it's just between the two of us.

Or as an alternate if you have a friend or somebody else you would trust to draft for you they can do it.

Roland St. Jude
2016-09-02, 11:24 PM
Or as an alternate if you have a friend or somebody else you would trust to draft for you they can do it.Or, at the very least, one can edit their personal pre-draft rankings so that the autodraft includes their preferences.

It came up tails, so Tuesday it is. We'll draft at 10 pm EST/9 CST on Tuesday 9/6. I'll set the draft order (randomized) after every one signs in and creates a team. Please sign up as soon as possible, so that I can set draft order.

League set up was very straightforward. I set all the roster settings and draft details indicated in the OP and left all scoring defaults, EXCEPT: I made 40-49 yd field goals 4 points instead of 3.

Here is the signup information:
Join Here: http://fantasy.nfl.com/registration/privateleaguejoin?leagueId=4375089
League ID: 4375089
League Password: oots

Pendulous
2016-09-03, 12:13 AM
Yay, now I'll just have to hurry home.

I'm Slow Witten-ed. Name I used last year in my main league, because I didn't feel like coming up with something else. Cowboys and Chiefs fan here, for what it's worth.

tomandtish
2016-09-03, 12:20 AM
Do we have 8? I have a friend who doesn't frequent this forum who is looking for a second league.

Roland St. Jude
2016-09-03, 01:01 AM
Do we have 8? I have a friend who doesn't frequent this forum who is looking for a second league.
We do not have eight. We're currently at 7 and a bot. He's welcome to join. Drop me his email here or in a PM and I'll invite him to take over the bot team, Mutually Assured Destruction.

MikelaC1
2016-09-03, 07:42 AM
Tishtina's Dancers has been created, but I cant see where to set pre draft rankings. I plan to be there for the draft, but just in case...
EDIT: never mind, found it...now to exclude all evil Cheatriots

tomandtish
2016-09-03, 11:46 AM
Well, we had our draft in the pay league today (2 QB setup, 8 teams). I ended up with...

Starters
QB Aaron Rodgers
QB Ben Roethlisberger
RB Doug Martin
RB C.J. Anderson
WR Antonio Brown
WR Demaryius Thomas
TE Coby Fleener
FLEX Randall Cobb
D/ST Cardinals
K Steven Hauschka

BENCH
DeMarco Murray
Marvin Jones
Robert Griffin
Eric Ebron
LeGarrette Blount
Tajae Sharpe

Should be interesting.

Roland St. Jude
2016-09-03, 07:29 PM
Well, we had our draft in the pay league today (2 QB setup, 8 teams). I ended up with...

Starters
QB Aaron Rodgers
QB Ben Roethlisberger
RB Doug Martin
RB C.J. Anderson
WR Antonio Brown
WR Demaryius Thomas
TE Coby Fleener
FLEX Randall Cobb
D/ST Cardinals
K Steven Hauschka

BENCH
DeMarco Murray
Marvin Jones
Robert Griffin
Eric Ebron
LeGarrette Blount
Tajae Sharpe

Should be interesting.Seems solid. Did you have the first pick?

Roland St. Jude
2016-09-03, 08:37 PM
We do not have eight. We're currently at 7 and a bot. He's welcome to join. Drop me his email here or in a PM and I'll invite him to take over the bot team, Mutually Assured Destruction.He's in. We're still missing one other owner. Once that person joins, I'll set the (randomized) draft order.

MikelaC1
2016-09-03, 09:06 PM
I took a year off watching the NFL last year, and havent been in an FF pool in about 4-5 years. It looks like all the theories have changed.

Roland St. Jude
2016-09-03, 10:45 PM
We could still add more players, if there's anyone out there interested...

Assuming we stay at 8 players, we're right on the cusp of where a larger lineup makes sense.

Is there any interest in that? Options:

1. Our Default: 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1FLEX(RB/WR/TE)/1K/1DST/6BENCH/1RES
2. Middle Ground: 1QB/3RB/3WR/1TE/1FLEX(RB/WR/TE)/1K/1DST/6BENCH/1RES
3. Large Roster: 2QB/3RB/3WR/1TE/2FLEX(RB/WR/TE)/1K/1DST/6BENCH/1RES

We'll just go with option #1 unless it seems like there's interest in 2 or 3 in the next day or so, in which case I'll put it to a vote. Thoughts?

I took a year off watching the NFL last year, and havent been in an FF pool in about 4-5 years. It looks like all the theories have changed.In what ways? The main thing that comes to my mind is the ascendancy of WRs over RBs, driven mostly by more passing in the league and fewer 3-down running backs. And I think there's a lot more streaming, especially QBs and defenses. But I'd be interested in what's different from your recollection.

Olinser
2016-09-03, 11:00 PM
I took a year off watching the NFL last year, and havent been in an FF pool in about 4-5 years. It looks like all the theories have changed.

I mean the theories are completely dependent upon what form of league you are playing. Standard is different from PP is different from all position is different from large flex.

MikelaC1
2016-09-03, 11:08 PM
I wouldnt mind bigger rosters, the only issue being it becomes harder to fill those RB positions, the change of the league just makes finding a 3rd quality back to be a problem. And thats the big change I have seen, when I played FF, your first two picks had to be RBs or you would be scrambling every week to find someone to produce the points. Heaven help the poor fool who lost one of his #1 or #2 backs early on, you might as well pack up your team. Lots of names I dont recognize as well, but thats a function of taking a full year off, and before that, being more concerned with team performances as opposed to individual stats.

Roland St. Jude
2016-09-04, 12:09 AM
I wouldnt mind bigger rosters, the only issue being it becomes harder to fill those RB positions, the change of the league just makes finding a 3rd quality back to be a problem.The middle position simulates the typical 12-team league a little better. A 12-team (2RB) league would call for 24 RBs, so does an 8-team 3 RB league. I agree, though, the league seems to have fewer reliable running backs these days.

Olinser
2016-09-04, 12:34 AM
The middle position simulates the typical 12-team league a little better. A 12-team (2RB) league would call for 24 RBs, so does an 8-team 3 RB league. I agree, though, the league seems to have fewer reliable running backs these days.

It's just how the team makeup has evolved. It's not that teams are necessarily rushing less, its that so many more teams are going with multiple RBs sharing downs rather than having 1 RB getting all the yards.

It's not unlike how most TEs are worthless in fantasy leagues these days - its not that the amount of passing yards has gone down, its just that teams are throwing to WRs instead.

Pendulous
2016-09-04, 12:52 AM
Our twelve team league has the "small" roster, so I don't know. With the smaller group, we could go with a bigger roster. I have no real opinion one way or another, but I'm up for it.

In my other league, I drafted eighth out of twelve.

Quarterback: Derek Carr, Jameis Winston, Dak Prescott

Winston was my first QB picked, and that was the eighth round. Quarterbacks don't have much difference in scoring between each other, and nobody was picking QB's early. I picked up Dak in the last round, almost as a joke. This was before Romo found out he was super hurt too. I might end up playing him a bit if needed.

Running back: Jamaal Charles, Thomas Rawls, Justin Forsett, Danny Woodhead

Had an issue with picking too many RB's with the same Bye week, so had to improvise. I love Jamaal Charles so much, but he's not recovering fast enough, and won't start the season. I got Justin Forsett, not expecting him to be dropped by Baltimore. I really hope he ends up starting somewhere quickly, otherwise, I'm already limited with four RB's.

Wide Receiver: DeAndre Hopkins, Randall Cobb, Tavon Austin, Travis Benjamin

Hopkins was my first WR pick, the best available. I hope Brock Lobster works out and can get him the ball a ton. Cobb is a TD machine usually, and I'm hoping with Jordy Nelson back, he gets more targets. Speaking of Jordy, I was one pick away from getting him, but was sniped. Austin is a good running receiver, Benjamin was basically just the best remaining.

Tight End: Greg Olsen, Richard Rodgers

I can't believe Olsen was still available so early, but I got him in the fourth round. There aren't too many super dependable tight ends as far as fantasy goes. Reed, Gronk (when healthy), Delanie Walker, Olsen. Their targets are just too random. Hell, Jason Witten is easily the best tight end in the league, but in fantasy he doesn't get jack. My second TE was LeDarius Green for Pittsburgh, but he ended up getting put on the PUP, so I grabbed Rodgers instead.

Kicker: Cairo Santos
Defense : L.A. Rams

Still weird typing L.A. ...

Roland St. Jude
2016-09-04, 01:09 AM
It's just how the team makeup has evolved. It's not that teams are necessarily rushing less, its that so many more teams are going with multiple RBs sharing downs rather than having 1 RB getting all the yards.Yeah, being a three-down back is practically a thing of the past. I suspect it's about the physical toll it takes to play at the speed and impact of the modern game. Guys need breaks, and teams need to have experienced backups for when the top guy does go down.

Our twelve team league has the "small" roster, so I don't know. With the smaller group, we could go with a bigger roster. I have no real opinion one way or another, but I'm up for it.

Running back: Jamaal Charles, Thomas Rawls, Justin Forsett, Danny Woodhead

Had an issue with picking too many RB's with the same Bye week, so had to improvise. I love Jamaal Charles so much, but he's not recovering fast enough, and won't start the season. I got Justin Forsett, not expecting him to be dropped by Baltimore. I really hope he ends up starting somewhere quickly, otherwise, I'm already limited with four RB's.That Forsett thing is crazy. I bet he was drafted in all leagues and then just cut. I'm betting he gets re-signed for less money or picked up elsewhere.

Wide Receiver: DeAndre Hopkins, Randall Cobb, Tavon Austin, Travis Benjamin

Hopkins was my first WR pick, the best available. I hope Brock Lobster works out and can get him the ball a ton. Cobb is a TD machine usually, and I'm hoping with Jordy Nelson back, he gets more targets. Speaking of Jordy, I was one pick away from getting him, but was sniped. Austin is a good running receiver, Benjamin was basically just the best remaining.Seems legit. I do think Benjamin has some real breakout potential. He showed great over the top speed and quietly did well last year in a less good situation.

tomandtish
2016-09-04, 10:16 AM
Seems solid. Did you have the first pick?

I did, and went with Brown. We are a 0.5 PPR league. I'll also be curious to see if it works out well having one WR paired up with each QB.

It's just how the team makeup has evolved. It's not that teams are necessarily rushing less, its that so many more teams are going with multiple RBs sharing downs rather than having 1 RB getting all the yards.

It's not unlike how most TEs are worthless in fantasy leagues these days - its not that the amount of passing yards has gone down, its just that teams are throwing to WRs instead.

Yeah, the days of the workhorse RB seem to be fading. I remember back in 2010. San Francisco went 3-13 that year, but until he broke his hip Frank Gore was the number 3 FF RB because of all the yards he was getting.

TEs are a different story, in that it really depends on how a team uses them. You have a few that used as receivers and end up becoming monster receivers (Reed, Gronk, Graham when he was with NO and J. Thomas when he was with Denver). But a lot of teams use them as an extra blocker with the occasional dump-off pass (look at both Graham and Thomas now).

That Forsett thing is crazy. I bet he was drafted in all leagues and then just cut. I'm betting he gets re-signed for less money or picked up elsewhere.

That seems to be the theory. They cut him to save salary cap space, then will resign him at a new deal.

Edit: Family league just finished drafting. 1 point PPR. otherwise standard scoring. I ended up with:

Cam Newton Car - QB
Allen Robinson Jax - WR
Golden Tate Det - WR
Ezekiel Elliott Dal - RB
DeMarco Murray Ten - RB
Jordan Reed Was - TE
John Brown Ari - WR
Steven Hauschka Sea - K
Carolina Car - DEF
Ryan Mathews Phi - RB
Sterling Shepard NYG - WR
Kirk Cousins Was - QB
Jimmy Graham Sea - TE
Rishard Matthews Ten - WR

Definite possibilities. A little weak in WR, but we'll see.

Roland St. Jude
2016-09-04, 05:14 PM
We're still waiting on someone to claim their team:

Gridiron Sheriff
Common Disaster
Slow Witten-ed
Team 8
Rabid Wombat
Gnoman's Team
Ontario Earthquakes
Tishtina's Dancers

Nomrom
2016-09-04, 08:45 PM
Sorry, y'all. We went out of town for Labor Day, and my father-in-law's internet was out all day yesterday and most of today. I am signed up now (The Awesomes), so we're good to go.

Roland St. Jude
2016-09-04, 09:51 PM
Cool. Draft order set:

1. Rabid Wombat
2. Tishtina's Dancers
3. Gridiron Sheriff
4. Ontario Earthquakes
5. Slow Witten-ed
6. The Awesomes
7. Gnoman's Team
8. Common Disaster

Any additional thoughts about roster size? The default is still in place and I think I have two "I don't minds" for the middle size roster (and I'm somewhat in favor).

tomandtish
2016-09-04, 10:53 PM
Cool. Draft order set:

1. Rabid Wombat
2. Tishtina's Dancers
3. Gridiron Sheriff
4. Ontario Earthquakes
5. Slow Witten-ed
6. The Awesomes
7. Gnoman's Team
8. Common Disaster

Any additional thoughts about roster size? The default is still in place and I think I have two "I don't minds" for the middle size roster (and I'm somewhat in favor).

Wow. First pick on two out of my three drafts this year. I must be living right....

And I see my friend Scott has pick 8.

I'm fine with any roster size. I'll check with Scott and see if he has a preference.

tomandtish
2016-09-06, 09:11 AM
And Forsett is back with the Ravens already (signed late yesterday afternoon). No real surprise.

Roland St. Jude
2016-09-06, 03:08 PM
Having heard no significant clamor for change, we'll go with the default roster. See you all at the draft tonight!

Roland St. Jude
2016-09-14, 02:58 PM
Assuming there are no stat corrections, I really squeaked out a victory this week. Down about 30 points going into Monday night, AB and Jordan Reed really came through for me.

How did everyone else's week go? I'm 3-0 across all leagues, the other two wins were by large margins. I'm feeling pretty good about the year so far, except for losing Keenan Allen in my work PPR league. I was so high on him this year and got him at a good place in the draft. I really feel for the guy, too.

NFL.com used to do weekly matchup previews and summaries, but it looks like they got rid of those. They were automated, of course, but I though they were fun to read.

Nomrom
2016-09-14, 03:15 PM
I went 2-1 this week. Lost pretty badly in this league, won by a huge margin in my work league, and barely slipped out a win in my friends league (Thank you DeAngelo Williams). Not too bad considering I missed two drafts and never checked any of my rosters last week. Our first baby decided to show up Tuesday and I got a little distracted, but I promise I'll keep up with the league now.

Olinser
2016-09-14, 04:59 PM
Assuming there are no stat corrections, I really squeaked out a victory this week. Down about 30 points going into Monday night, AB and Jordan Reed really came through for me.

How did everyone else's week go? I'm 3-0 across all leagues, the other two wins were by large margins. I'm feeling pretty good about the year so far, except for losing Keenan Allen in my work PPR league. I was so high on him this year and got him at a good place in the draft. I really feel for the guy, too.

NFL.com used to do weekly matchup previews and summaries, but it looks like they got rid of those. They were automated, of course, but I though they were fun to read.

I lost pretty badly in this league, mainly due to the combination of Gronkowski not playing (and picking up a waiver TE means basically just a couple points) and the fact that there was no information posted anywhere that Brady serving his suspension so I got a 0 from him.

But whatever, won my other 2 leagues easily.

Pendulous
2016-09-14, 06:16 PM
1-1 In my main league, I had two players with double digits. Just two. And I left Danny Woodhead on the bench.

AJ Green and...Dan Bailey, of all people, carried me in this league.

Olinser
2016-09-18, 02:34 PM
Damn I could be in trouble. I was travelling this morning with no internet, I had to make an early decision and I made a gamble that Gronk was going to play, and he's out.

Nomrom
2016-09-19, 10:06 AM
Some close games this week, but I think I'm in good position. As long as Cutler stays under 27, Langford picks up at least 4, and Jeffery stays under 13, I will go 3-0 this week. So here's to hoping for lots of running and not much passing from Chicago tonight.

MikelaC1
2016-09-20, 09:07 AM
2-0 so far, so much for the computer projections which has had me losing both weeks and only picking 4 wins all season. Losing AP isn't good, but Ive won without him contributing jack so Im not crying.

Roland St. Jude
2016-09-20, 01:18 PM
From 3-0 across my leagues last week to 0-3 this week, it's been a rollercoaster so far. No real reason except poor player performance this week, oh and in my main league I lost Keenan Allen last week and Danny Woodhead this weak. I think I'm changing my team name to "Hide yo ACLs!" or something like that. I suppose being 1-1 in all my leagues is an okay start, but I had higher hopes, especially in my main league.

In the GitP league, I got crushed by like 40 points and not even 22 points from the Bronco's D could save me.

Nomrom
2016-09-20, 02:56 PM
Chicago was kind to me, so I pulled off 3-0 this week, moving me to 2-0 at work and 1-1 in both other leagues. But I'm fairly concerned. In two of my wins, the only person I would have beat was my current opponent. I don't think I'll always be so lucky.

Pendulous
2016-09-20, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I lost Woodhead in my main league, and I have Jamaal Charles. My rb's combined for five points.

But, still won. 3-1 so far between both leagues. Waiting for that to go downhill soon.

Olinser
2016-09-20, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I lost Woodhead in my main league, and I have Jamaal Charles. My rb's combined for five points.

But, still won. 3-1 so far between both leagues. Waiting for that to go downhill soon.

Well you got seriously lucky against me. Both Martin and Foster got injured early in the games, and I had to gamble on Gronk with no solid info.

But freaking hell my roster is already being destroyed by injuries.

MikelaC1
2016-09-21, 01:11 PM
And now I have to go seeking a replacement for my #1 pick.

tomandtish
2016-09-22, 06:30 PM
Went 1-2 week one (fortunately winning in my pay league) to 3-0 this week. It was a good week. Lots of injuries out there though...

Olinser
2016-09-23, 01:47 AM
UGH. There was a whole bunch of big announcements Gronk was going to play.

One target, zero yards. FML.

tomandtish
2016-09-23, 11:02 AM
UGH. There was a whole bunch of big announcements Gronk was going to play.

One target, zero yards. FML.

Brissett is apparently a rushing QB, so that undoubtedly hurts things. Heck, he rushed for almost half as many yards as he threw (which wasn't a lot).

My big mistake was not starting Blount. I figured the Texans Def would hold him back. But apparently the Texans thought they played Sunday...

Olinser
2016-09-23, 02:46 PM
Brissett is apparently a rushing QB, so that undoubtedly hurts things. Heck, he rushed for almost half as many yards as he threw (which wasn't a lot).

My big mistake was not starting Blount. I figured the Texans Def would hold him back. But apparently the Texans thought they played Sunday...

Yeah I was busting one of my buddies balls yesterday after the game. He came into the season saying the Texans were going to be some amazing team going to the Superbowl.

They literally just lost to the Patriots 3rd string QB with their star TE only taking 14 snaps. And not even lost - they got absolutely DEMOLISHED.

It's not all bad for me though. I had the Pats defense in one of my other leagues. 22 points of defensive goodness baby :smallsmile:

Olinser
2016-09-23, 06:40 PM
So fun fact. Now the Patriots THIRD string quarterback is injured (tore something in his throwing hand/thumb)

Allegedly if Garoppolo isn't healed enough to start next week, Belichick is going to play EDELMAN as the starting quarterback.

So if that actually happens.... wtf is that going to do to fantasy?!?!?! Could Edelman still be played in the WR slot??? Because that would be broke as heck.

Pendulous
2016-09-23, 11:07 PM
Yeah I was busting one of my buddies balls yesterday after the game. He came into the season saying the Texans were going to be some amazing team going to the Superbowl.

They literally just lost to the Patriots 3rd string QB with their star TE only taking 14 snaps. And not even lost - they got absolutely DEMOLISHED.

It's not all bad for me though. I had the Pats defense in one of my other leagues. 22 points of defensive goodness baby :smallsmile:
To be fair, a LOT of people were picking Houston to go far this year.

So fun fact. Now the Patriots THIRD string quarterback is injured (tore something in his throwing hand/thumb)

Allegedly if Garoppolo isn't healed enough to start next week, Belichick is going to play EDELMAN as the starting quarterback.

So if that actually happens.... wtf is that going to do to fantasy?!?!?! Could Edelman still be played in the WR slot??? Because that would be broke as heck.

I think the way it would work in fantasy, you would have to place him either in the WR slot of the QB slot, not both. However, I'm not even sure you'd be allowed to even if you owned him.

Olinser
2016-09-23, 11:11 PM

I think the way it would work in fantasy, you would have to place him either in the WR slot of the QB slot, not both. However, I'm not even sure you'd be allowed to even if you owned him.

No, I mean obviously he wouldn't be in both slots, but he's tagged as a WR right now - if he's actually starting as a QB would fantasy force you to start him in the QB slot?

As a QB there's no way he'd be worth it, but if he stays flagged as a WR in fantasy but actually acts as the QB he's basically guaranteed to get 15+ points which is a huge game for a WR slot.

MikelaC1
2016-09-24, 09:16 AM
As a QB there's no way he'd be worth it, but if he stays flagged as a WR in fantasy but actually acts as the QB he's basically guaranteed to get 15+ points which is a huge game for a WR slot.

If the computer has him tagged as a WR, it simply wont let you drop him into the QB spot.

Theres one thing that bothers me about football and its the gorilla mentality that dominates the game. Why is it necessary to pound your chest and jump around like a maniac just because you stopped a guy for no gain. Even when you are losing 30-0 with 2 minutes left in the game and its like "look at me, I'm the man".

Olinser
2016-09-24, 05:22 PM
If the computer has him tagged as a WR, it simply wont let you drop him into the QB spot.

Theres one thing that bothers me about football and its the gorilla mentality that dominates the game. Why is it necessary to pound your chest and jump around like a maniac just because you stopped a guy for no gain. Even when you are losing 30-0 with 2 minutes left in the game and its like "look at me, I'm the man".

Football most definitely isn't unique to this.

Celebrating big plays is actually much worse in online gaming. It gets pretty funny when you watch low-level games and players celebrate and talk **** about really pretty mediocre plays.

And yes, it can get a bit ridiculous when anybody celebrates a big play when they still decisively lose the game.

Pendulous
2016-09-24, 05:29 PM
Football most definitely isn't unique to this.

Celebrating big plays is actually much worse in online gaming. It gets pretty funny when you watch low-level games and players celebrate and talk **** about really pretty mediocre plays.

And yes, it can get a bit ridiculous when anybody celebrates a big play when they still decisively lose the game.

Had a guy in Overwatch a couple nights ago who teabagged every person he killed. He didn't understand when we, his allies, told him to knock it off.

Dragonexx
2016-09-24, 10:15 PM
When I first read the title, I thought of this.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/af/c1/ec/afc1ec92c193b9c68e6770209d371c55.jpg

tomandtish
2016-09-25, 10:45 AM

It simply comes down to how he is classified by the system. Assuming he is still classified as a WR, then he goes in a WR spot. But you'll still get stats for him. Most systems will give offensive points to any player regardless of position (EX: QBs and WRs get rushing stats, RBs get receiving stats, and any player who throws a pass gets passing stats). So he'll get passing stats and passing TDs even though he's in a WR spot.

I'll assume our league will do it because we're on NFL Fantasy, and the NFL Fantasy playoff challenge does it. I got points when Edelman threw the TD pass to Amendola when they played the Ravens in playoffs in 2015.

I wouldn't worry too much about it being broken. Remember, he's a 4th string QB by default. That pass worked because everyone forgot he could throw so once he had the ball Amendola was wide open. It was his first NFL pass.

Don't get me wrong, it was a nice pass. But any QB (even High school) could have made it given how open Amendola was. Buffalo has a decent defense, so (assuming they show up, unlike the Texans) I suspect they would hold Edelman pretty tight.

Pendulous
2016-09-25, 11:53 AM
Oh yeah, you're right. It'll just look weird on the stat sheet. I remember playing a WR one year who did nothing, but managed a passing touchdown, which I got credit for.

MikelaC1
2016-09-25, 07:34 PM
LT used to get all kinds of credits for passing TDs when the Chargers used to run options with him.

And speaking of this week, racked up another win after the computer once again picked me to lose. Thats right computer, keep picking against me and I'll keep winning. Think you might want to rethink your prediction of 4 wins all year for me?

Pendulous
2016-09-25, 08:00 PM
Not sure how a starting running back gets -.5 points in a win, but this is the worst games I've had.

tomandtish
2016-09-25, 11:08 PM
Not sure how a starting running back gets -.5 points in a win, but this is the worst games I've had.

Ahh, you must have Ryan Matthews as well. I have him in my family league.

He apparently had 2 rushes for -5 yards.... I'm assuming he got injured, although I'm not finding that yet.

Nomrom
2016-09-26, 08:15 AM
The thing I hate about fantasy football is having to cheer for teams you don't like. I really dislike the Chiefs, but I have their defense on every one of my teams, and they basically gave me a win in all three leagues.

MikelaC1
2016-09-26, 10:10 AM
The thing I hate about fantasy football is having to cheer for teams you don't like. I really dislike the Chiefs, but I have their defense on every one of my teams, and they basically gave me a win in all three leagues.

Don't pick players on teams you don't like. That's why you will never see a Cheatriot on one of my teams.

Olinser
2016-09-26, 02:44 PM

Yeah I kind of feel bad winning with only like 60 points.

Pendulous
2016-10-03, 12:22 AM
I love that in my other league, the least amount of points scored against me is 107. The LEAST. In four weeks. This week i went against all of Atlanta's offense. He scored like 138.

tomandtish
2016-10-04, 11:00 AM
Yeah, it can be interesting. This is my lowest placed league (and I'll take satisfaction that I've technically outscored both the 4th and 1st placed teams).... But the losses were to the wrong people at the wrong times.

My family league I'm 3-1 and in first (since I win the Points For tie breaker).

My pay league I'm 4-0 and in second (since I lose the Points For tie breaker). However, I play the other 4-0 team this coming week, so one of us is going down. We're a 2 QB league and she didn't select a backup so i have that going for me (the waiver wire is pretty thin on QBs).

Pendulous
2016-10-09, 06:15 PM
Well, Ezekiel Elliot killed it for me, but it didn't matter. Not when my opponent had David Johnson at 30 points, Andrew Luck at 22, Amari Cooper at 21 (that game isn't over yet), and a freaking immortal kicker at 23 points. 23 points for a kicker, mine's on a Bye and his goes for record fantasy numbers.

Olinser
2016-10-09, 09:50 PM
Brady is finally back for me and in fine form. With him playing Gronk is finally showing life as well, I should be good now :smallbiggrin:

Roland St. Jude
2016-10-09, 10:46 PM
So far so good this week. Decent scores across the board with no big games but no disappointments has me in a good spot. Mike Evans and 18 points vs. Graham Gano.

In my main league, I have a 76 point lead and he has Evans and Olsen. It's a PPR league with some other scoring plusses, so that's not as safe as it sounds.

Nomrom
2016-10-10, 09:33 AM
It's looking like I should go 2-1 again this week. I managed to over come like a half dozen players on bye this week in our league here which will move me up to 3-1. In my work pay league, I should be moving up to 3-1 as well with some very inspired efforts by the replacements I had to pick to make up for crazy amounts of injuries. And then in my league with my friends where I have no injuries or bye week issues, I'm getting blown out for the second week in a row to fall to 2-2. Fantasy football is confusing sometimes.

tomandtish
2016-10-10, 07:36 PM
I'm going 2-1 this week as well. Will advance to 5-0 (and an undisputed 1st place) in my pay league, and 4-1 (but possibly second now because of points) in the family league.

This is the league that hasn't worked well for me. Unless Olsen puts up a 32 point night, I'll be at 2-3.

Pendulous
2016-10-17, 08:35 PM
Eagles have stopped offenses, and Jonathan Stewart has been hurt. Of course he and Matt Jones both score 20 points on my bench. My entire team got one touchdown, and that was my quarterback, a very mediocre performance from Rivers.

MikelaC1
2016-10-20, 09:21 PM
Tired of stupid Aaron Rodgers, vastly over-rated. The man has one Super Bowl ring, one less than Eli Manning who is regarded as over-rated, and one less than Peyton Manning, who is a playoff bust. Seems whenever the playoff would roll around, he would be injured, or his team mates injured, or he couldnt perform in the cold. Hey, youre a Packer QB, producing in the cold is a playoff job requirement.

Olinser
2016-10-20, 09:31 PM
Tired of stupid Aaron Rodgers, vastly over-rated. The man has one Super Bowl ring, one less than Eli Manning who is regarded as over-rated, and one less than Peyton Manning, who is a playoff bust. Seems whenever the playoff would roll around, he would be injured, or his team mates injured, or he couldnt perform in the cold. Hey, youre a Packer QB, producing in the cold is a playoff job requirement.

Freaking Eli.

I benched him in my other league last week because he'd broken 11 points exactly once in 4 weeks. Of course that's the week he decides to get 30+ points.

But yeah. Rodgers is overrated. By the numbers I think he's right in the middle of the pack for fantasy quarterbacks (I think he's 15th?).

Pendulous
2016-10-21, 12:10 AM

Number of Super Bowls does not equal skill.

Olinser
2016-10-21, 02:07 PM
Number of Super Bowls does not equal skill.

Yes and no. It definitely DOES equal ability to win games.

Winning multiple rings means that the team was definitely at the top end of the NFL in skill - although that is much more indicative of the coach and manager's ability to build and train a team rather than individual players.

tomandtish
2016-10-25, 11:26 AM
Well, byes and injuries took their toll this week. 0-3. To add insult to injury, I lost all three matches by less than 3 points.

Nomrom
2016-10-25, 02:18 PM
2-1 again this week. My only loss was in this league, but it was a very bad one in the battle for first place, so that's disappointing.

Olinser
2016-10-25, 04:02 PM
Well, byes and injuries took their toll this week. 0-3. To add insult to injury, I lost all three matches by less than 3 points.

Heh heh heh. My Monday nighters carried me to victory.

MikelaC1
2016-10-25, 05:39 PM
I kicked ass this week

MikelaC1
2016-10-30, 03:41 PM
Imagine you are a member of the Cleveland Browns. Your city's basketball team won the league championship. Your city's baseball won (in a game or two) the league championship. And you? You cant even win a regular season game.

Pendulous
2016-10-30, 03:48 PM
In my other league, I had to pick up Matt Asiata just to have a healthy playing running back. Two are hurt, the other on a bye. I had to grab Tyrell Williams to have enough players period, so I have two receivers from SD playing. All that plus Hopkins and Olsen having crap games, and it might be my worst game yet.

Having a decent game here, but it would have been nice if AJ Green got a touchdown. Of course, I have the Rams defense in both leagues, and they're on a bye.

Roland St. Jude
2016-10-30, 04:11 PM
In my other league, I had to pick up Matt Asiata just to have a healthy playing running back. Two are hurt, the other on a bye. I had to grab Tyrell Williams to have enough players period, so I have two receivers from SD playing. All that plus Hopkins and Olsen having crap games, and it might be my worst game yet.

Having a decent game here, but it would have been nice if AJ Green got a touchdown. Of course, I have the Rams defense in both leagues, and they're on a bye.I was just about to message you, actually. If you don't set a full lineup, I'm supposed to do it for you, including adding/dropping players. I guess if you set the rest of your lineup and are choosing to play a DST on bye, then it's technically still "setting your lineup." (I intended that every team have to fill every position each week, but I guess that's not clear in the league rules.)

EDIT: Gnoman's Team also has a flex on bye. Is that intentional?

Pendulous
2016-10-30, 04:44 PM
I was just about to message you, actually. If you don't set a full lineup, I'm supposed to do it for you, including adding/dropping players. I guess if you set the rest of your lineup and are choosing to play a DST on bye, then it's technically still "setting your lineup." (I intended that every team have to fill every position each week, but I guess that's not clear in the league rules.)

EDIT: Gnoman's Team also has a flex on bye. Is that intentional?

I've gotten in the habit of leaving kickers and defenses in on byes. I could either drop my current kicker or defense, and risk not getting them back the following week (defense more important since kickers are pretty consistent throughout), or drop another player on my team to get a temporary second one. And in that case, with all the injuries, I can't risk going even further down the list and not having a full roster elsewhere.

Honestly it's one thing I hate about fantasy. There should be specific slots for a free defense and kicker, and not force you to gut your roster.

Nomrom
2016-10-30, 09:54 PM
I've gotten in the habit of leaving kickers and defenses in on byes. I could either drop my current kicker or defense, and risk not getting them back the following week (defense more important since kickers are pretty consistent throughout), or drop another player on my team to get a temporary second one. And in that case, with all the injuries, I can't risk going even further down the list and not having a full roster elsewhere.

Honestly it's one thing I hate about fantasy. There should be specific slots for a free defense and kicker, and not force you to gut your roster.

I've actually played in a league that an extra bench slot just for a kicker or defense. It was nice being able to keep at least one on hold without affecting the rest of the team.

tomandtish
2016-10-30, 11:14 PM
But a lot of it is resource management. With 6 bench positions, you technically have one bench position for each named position (not including the flex). It's when you start keeping more that you run into issues. In theory it encourages management and trading.

Pendulous
2016-10-31, 12:17 AM
But a lot of it is resource management. With 6 bench positions, you technically have one bench position for each named position (not including the flex). It's when you start keeping more that you run into issues. In theory it encourages management and trading.

Not when bye weeks and injuries happen. Nobody suggests keeping two kickers or two defenses.

Roland St. Jude
2016-10-31, 08:10 PM
There's one theory that says, "it's your team, so start anyone or no one that you want", but there's another that says "you should be required to play a full, credible team each week." I tend toward the latter.

The reason I'm concerned about it is that while it might make long-term sense to keep (and start) a K or DEF on bye, in a long term sense, it means playing intentionally weak this week. It's rational for you to play a weaker team this week to gain a stronger team over the next seven, but its not good for equal competition. Why should your opponent get an easier matchup this week because he happened to lineup with your K/DEF byes? Doesn't that advantage him over the rest of the league who have to play full opponents? And what about you when you and an opponent both have a K on bye and agree not to roster one to keep it even. That's fair between the two of you but disadvantages everyone else who has to make roster moves.

It's not as bad as throwing a week intentionally, but its a step down that road.

Pendulous
2016-10-31, 08:17 PM
(I still won for what it's worth)

tomandtish
2016-11-02, 01:43 PM
After an 0-3 week last week, this week was a 3-0 week.

Not when bye weeks and injuries happen. Nobody suggests keeping two kickers or two defenses.

But that's part of the management. If it isn't worth keeping a second def/kicker because you want to hold more spaces for injuries/byes, great. There are always tradeoffs to be made.

I've played in leagues that do this. To me, if it is going to be done, it works best when done on all positions, Decide what the limits are on numbers, and create bench slots for those numbers.

There's one theory that says, "it's your team, so start anyone or no one that you want", but there's another that says "you should be required to play a full, credible team each week." I tend toward the latter.

The reason I'm concerned about it is that while it might make long-term sense to keep (and start) a K or DEF on bye, in a long term sense, it means playing intentionally weak this week. It's rational for you to play a weaker team this week to gain a stronger team over the next seven, but its not good for equal competition. Why should your opponent get an easier matchup this week because he happened to lineup with your K/DEF byes? Doesn't that advantage him over the rest of the league who have to play full opponents? And what about you when you and an opponent both have a K on bye and agree not to roster one to keep it even. That's fair between the two of you but disadvantages everyone else who has to make roster moves.

It's not as bad as throwing a week intentionally, but its a step down that road.

(I still won for what it's worth)

True, but Gnoman lost his to me. And while his whole bench (except for QB) was on bye, he chose to go with a bye in his flex and Forsett in at RB instead of making a roster changes to get players. Note that he'd still be in 8th if he had won, but I'd be in 7th instead of 3rd.

Incidentally, in my family league we play with 5 bench spots. Makes it a lot more challenging (and fun). And when my pay league was IDP (so 11 total starting positions) we still had only 6 bench positions.

Pendulous
2016-11-04, 12:00 AM
Love when it's Thursday and I'm already down 54-0

tomandtish
2016-11-04, 09:32 AM
I love it when it's Friday and I'm up 16 from my kicker alone.

(And I have Bryant in 3 leagues, although I only got 15.5 in pay league since we only give 3.5 for a 40-49 yard FG).

Roland St. Jude
2016-11-04, 02:28 PM
Love when it's Thursday and I'm already down 54-0
That's gotta be my best Thursday start ever.

MikelaC1
2016-11-06, 07:47 PM
23 point lead and a 2-1 player advantage, Im feeling pretty frisky

Nomrom
2016-11-07, 10:13 AM
This has not been a good week for me. Probably going 1-2 unless my two running backs can put together 41 points tonight. My only win will come from this league, which was the only one where I didn't have more than half my team on bye this week (though I think my opponent might have - sorry about that, I feel your pain).

Pendulous
2016-11-08, 01:30 AM
I wasn't gonna win either way, but holy crap, 143 points? That's not even fair.

tomandtish
2016-11-08, 09:43 AM
2-1 this week. I won my pay league and this league pretty solidly.

Family league. I was the second highest scorer (30+ points above the 3rd highest) so of course I'm playing the highest. Got knocked out of first on that one.

Interesting to see where the competitive zone is in each league. In this league, 1st and 2nd seem pretty set so far, with the battle hanging around the fight for 3rd - 4th (with 5 teams in that fight). Same is true for my pay league (although only 3 teams are in that fight right now). OTOH, in my family league, the top four teams are ALL 6-3, then a 5-4 and two 4-5s. So very strong competition.

Olinser
2016-11-09, 06:35 PM
Well this week went pretty much as expected with both Brady and Gronk on bye.

On the other hand I had a monster day in my other league because I had Jimmy Graham, Tyrod Taylor, AND Latavius Murray. 3 players ranked up 82 points. I finished with 134 points :smallamused:

MikelaC1
2016-11-13, 07:59 PM
40 points up and only Fuzzy Lumpkin Junior facing me, once again, I'm liking my chances

Nomrom
2016-11-14, 11:47 AM
Much better. I should be looking at a 3-0 week barring the Giants going off like crazy on offense. This will keep me at 2nd place in the two leagues where I am doing well, which unfortunately doesn't include my only pay league.

tomandtish
2016-11-14, 02:17 PM
Much better. I should be looking at a 3-0 week barring the Giants going off like crazy on offense. This will keep me at 2nd place in the two leagues where I am doing well, which unfortunately doesn't include my only pay league.

2-1 again this week. Crushed it in the family league (Thank you Elliott!), and won the pay league.

OTOH, needed to pay more attention to byes, as got clobbered here because of them (3 of my four good RBs were on bye this week, putting me in a bind).

Pendulous
2016-11-14, 11:44 PM
I was worried last night, being up by 40 but against pretty much the entire Patriots team. Not sure what I was worried about.

Thought I was doing good, getting back to .500, but it turns out, somehow, I'm near last in this league.

tomandtish
2016-11-20, 04:44 PM
Dubious record occurred during Seattle game this week. 11 missed extra points (so far) this week, which sets an NFL record for missed points in a game week. All of them (so far) were today (Sunday).

MikelaC1
2016-11-20, 04:49 PM
Im going to need a big game from Carr and Nelson to erase a 40 point deficit...but in Canadian news, the Ottawa Redblacks won the Eastern final and now go for the Grey Cup next week.

Pendulous
2016-11-20, 06:47 PM
The PAT thing is rather misleading since the longer extra point thing just started.

AJ Green done for the year. Just as I was making a comeback.

MikelaC1
2016-11-21, 04:37 PM
22 points from a QB like Carr is very do-able. Lets go Silver & Black.

tomandtish
2016-11-22, 10:22 AM
2-1 this week. Lost in the family league thanks to disappointing performances by Cam and A. Robinson. Scraped by in the pay league despite a poor performance by Big Ben

In fact, no blow-out scorers anywhere except two. Aaron Rodgers in my pay league was my highest performer, and my second was in this league .... the Vikings' defense.

MikelaC1
2016-11-23, 09:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to you States dwellers, even if it is a month late....:smallbiggrin:

Roland St. Jude
2016-11-24, 02:45 PM
Happy turkey and football day, all!

tomandtish
2016-11-24, 03:09 PM
Likewise. Hope everyone has a safe and happy weekend.

Edited:

Looks like deciding to start Cousins is going to pay off. And Gore not so much....

MikelaC1
2016-11-27, 05:03 PM
Losing to Roland makes Mikela cross...:smallfurious:

MikelaC1
2016-11-27, 10:28 PM
I may have gotten my ass handed to me in fantasy, but my Ottawa Rough Riders Redblacks won the Grey Cup with a 39-33 OT victory over Calgary

Pendulous
2016-11-28, 01:50 AM
Another win here, but in my main league I get destroyed again, despite a decent day. Not much you can do when your opponent has three players break 20 points.

Nomrom
2016-11-28, 09:20 AM
I got pretty lucky this week. Despite forgetting to change any of my rosters, I will still end up going 2-1. Of course the one loss is in my pay league, though, so that's annoying.

Roland St. Jude
2016-11-30, 02:26 PM
Losing to Roland makes Mikela cross...:smallfurious:Don't worry, everybody's doing it. *zing* :smallamused: #pridegoethbeforeafall

I may have gotten my ass handed to me in fantasy, but my Ottawa Rough Riders Redblacks won the Grey Cup with a 39-33 OT victory over CalgaryCongrats! That's a big win after a so-so season, if I remember right.

I went 3-0 this week including a crushing defeat of my work league commissioner who is also the closest on my heels in the standings. Last year's league winner is still ahead of me though.

MikelaC1
2016-11-30, 02:50 PM
Well, they were 8-9-1 on the season but...the tie should have been a win (9-9) if the refs had known the rules. and in their last game, they had already clinched first place so they rested their entire first team offense, against a team that had to win to qualify for the playoffs (10-8)

Roland St. Jude
2016-12-01, 08:09 PM
Don't forget there are two teams on bye this week, so check your lineups!

Pendulous
2016-12-04, 04:24 PM
All right, well, if I lose by less than three points this week, I'm blaming NFL.com. Apparently if you pick up a player and drop someone on your active roster, the picked up player goes to the bench instead of taking that active spot. At least the Eagles only got three points, but I'm still pissed.

MikelaC1
2016-12-04, 04:38 PM
At least you have a chance to win, my suck team didnt even bother to show up today

Pendulous
2016-12-04, 07:06 PM
Nope, I'm boned. And my opponent still has Greg Olsen to go.

tomandtish
2016-12-04, 11:56 PM
Well, Olsen didn't do that much. But yeah, looks doubtful that you'll get 40 points from Marshall. Of course, your Eagles Def didn't do much either (I had them in my pay league so I feel the pain).

MikelaC1
2016-12-06, 08:34 PM
I guess it comes down to having to beat team Slow Witten-ed to make the playoffs, if the first tie break is +/-, then I would be guaranteed to go through with the win.

tomandtish
2016-12-07, 04:16 PM
Well, 2-1 this week. Won in Pay League (playoff spot has been safe there for a while) and here (not sure playoff spot is safe quite yet..). Lost in family league but still had playoff spot clenched (all 4 spots are determined there).

MikelaC1
2016-12-09, 08:38 AM
Just great. Thanks a whole bunch. Biggest game of the year for them, and for me, and Carr&Crabtree go out and lay eggs. Congratulations Slow-Wittened, you just made the playoffs.

Pendulous
2016-12-10, 05:29 PM
I've gotta rely on Jonathan Stewart and Darren Sproles having games, so it's still open.

It's still early, but I believe I just jinxed myself. Rivers is in the negatives, and everyone else is doing poorly. Sproles and Stewart having touchdowns is about all the points I have.

MikelaC1
2016-12-11, 10:09 PM
30 points and only one half to go...if Elliot goes nuts, I will ___ myself.

MikelaC1
2016-12-12, 09:28 AM
Theres an old saying in the NFL, that you are not supposed to be able to beat a team 3 times in the same year. I hope that's true, seeing as I am locked into a first round game against Roland, who has had my number twice now. Maybe Le'Veon will get hit by a bus during the week. :smallbiggrin:

Roland St. Jude
2016-12-12, 09:32 PM
Maybe Le'Veon will get hit by a bus during the week. :smallbiggrin:I have Bell in my work league, too. I'm hoping he didn't wear himself out this week.

Olinser
2016-12-12, 10:57 PM
I think I may have set a record for worst game. I did make a mistake and not check Riddick after he practiced thinking he was going to play, but then I had THREE PLAYERS score 1 point.

God this year has been unbelievably horrible. I lost 3 major players to injuries and my remaining roster just isn't very good :(

tomandtish
2016-12-14, 07:44 PM
I have Bell in my work league, too. I'm hoping he didn't wear himself out this week.

Yeah, Bell is a juggernaut. Arguably the best RB in the league, certainly the best fantasy RB.

I had a hunch in my pay league and sat Ben. Glad I did. 2.3 points?!?

How often does a QB throw for under 250 yards, no TDs, three INTs, and is the winning QB?

Pendulous
2016-12-15, 12:03 AM
How often does a QB throw for under 250 yards, no TDs, three INTs, and is the winning QB?

Pretty sure Big Ben did that in a Super Bowl.

tomandtish
2016-12-15, 08:28 AM
Pretty sure Big Ben did that in a Super Bowl.

In Superbowl 43, Roethlisberger completed 21 of 30 passes for 256 yards and a touchdown, with one interception.

So not a great performance, but not as horrible as last week's. It's not even the lack of TDs, but that you are combining it with 3 (THREE!) INTs. And you're still the winning QB.

Bill locker room must have been an unpleasant place after that game. If the opposing QB gives you the ball three times after throwing for no TDs and you still can't win?

Pendulous
2016-12-15, 09:25 AM
To be fair, Bell's performance was basically historic, so it at least balances out. The three INT's give you more possessions, so yeah, but there are many cases of poor QB play in a win. Alabama basically works on this exact principal.

Oh, and here's an interesting statistic. The Kansas City Chiefs' defense and special teams has scored 49% of the Chiefs total points this season.

tomandtish
2016-12-15, 07:55 PM
Another interesting statistic: The Atlanta Falcons have scored as many TDs in LA (6) in one game as the Rams have so far this entire season.

MikelaC1
2016-12-18, 07:51 PM
Message to Dallas. You have only one task for this game. Its not even winning. Your task, your only task, is to stop Evans. Keep him off the scoresheet, keep him from making a catch at all. You can lose 50-0....as long as Evans gets 0 fantasy points.

MikelaC1
2016-12-19, 10:22 AM
Nostradamous, the computer is not. At the start of the year, the computer graded my draft as a C- and said I would be lucky to win 4 games all year. And then my #1 pick blew out his knee in week2. But look who is going for the title now :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbi ggrin::smallbiggrin:

Nomrom
2016-12-19, 10:51 AM
I'm feeling pretty confident right now. Just need tonight's game to be a fairly low-scoring affair. Though I'd be much more confident if I had ever remembered to remove Jones from my lineup.

Roland St. Jude
2016-12-19, 01:49 PM
*sigh* A thoroughly dominant season comes to a screeching halt. I guess I shouldn't have said to the Fantasy Gods, "let Jason Witten score 10+ so I can win my money league and you can take the rest."

2-1 this week, but losing this one does hurt a little.

MikelaC1
2016-12-19, 01:56 PM
*sigh* A thoroughly dominant season comes to a screeching halt. I guess I shouldn't have said to the Fantasy Gods, "let Jason Witten score 10+ so I can win my money league and you can take the rest."

Don't worry, everybody's doing it. *zing* :smallamused: #pridegoethbeforeafall

Actually, this was your big mistake

Roland St. Jude
2016-12-19, 02:58 PM
Actually, this was your big mistake
Probably. My one bit of trash talk all year in any league. I should know better. :smallsigh:

tomandtish
2016-12-19, 05:57 PM
Well, my playoff options are interesting....

Family league looks pretty good (only need Cousins and Reed to get 20 points combined tonight and opposition has no one going).

In this league I need 34 points from Cousins and Olsen. Not out of the range of possibility, but definitely more difficult....

And in the pay league I need Crowder to put up 50 points.... I suspect I've lost that one.

Nomrom
2016-12-20, 12:10 AM
Kirk Cousins was kind enough to let down all three of my opponents tonight, so I will be moving to the championship game in each of my leagues. Pretty good year all around for me - can't complain at all. Now it's time to see if I can earn bragging rights, money, and a spiffy title this weekend.

MikelaC1
2016-12-20, 07:13 AM
That spiffy title is mine...

tomandtish
2016-12-20, 09:40 AM
Well, my playoff options are interesting....

Family league looks pretty good (only need Cousins and Reed to get 20 points combined tonight and opposition has no one going).

In this league I need 34 points from Cousins and Olsen. Not out of the range of possibility, but definitely more difficult....

And in the pay league I need Crowder to put up 50 points.... I suspect I've lost that one.

20 combined points.... That's all I needed. And they couldn't even pull that off.

0-3 and i'm out of all three playoffs. Oh well.

Good luck to our final two contestants. What are they playing for, Johnny?

MikelaC1
2016-12-20, 02:59 PM
What are they playing for, Johnny?

A BRAND NEW CAR...paid for by Roland

tomandtish
2016-12-20, 04:14 PM
I suspect if Roland is paying it will be of the Matchbox variety....

MikelaC1
2016-12-24, 08:38 PM
And to think that I considered benching Nelson all week long, fearing the Viking defense. Denver needs to make sure the KC defense doesnt come up big.

tomandtish
2016-12-24, 11:03 PM
So, I have a 21 and change point lead over Roland, and he has Bell, Brown, and Ware still to go. Can i win this?

Sure I can. I have a strategy....

It involves landmines, punji pits, and quicksand....

More seriously, rough day on players. Carr and Mariota broke their legs. Tyler Locket broke his AND had the TD he was trying for when it happened overturned on replay.

Very rough day.

tomandtish
2016-12-27, 09:01 AM
Hey all,

I sent everyone an invite to my NFL Playoff Challenge Group. You are welcome to participate if interested. No obligation (Rules say you can only participate in one group if you want to actually try and win the prize, so some/all of you may have others you do this with).

It will combine people from all three leagues I was in (family, pay, and this one).

Tom

If you were interested but didn't get an invite, let me know.

MikelaC1
2016-12-27, 05:07 PM
No one else will say it, so I have to say congratulations to me on my win. Interesting fact...several years ago I was in a final and a game in which I had Steven Jackson went to overtime, he ripped off an 80 yard TD run to give me an extra 14 points which was a big part of my winning margin. This time around, Jay Ajayi comes into OT and while it wasnt a TD run, it was still a 69er for 6.9 points and since I only won by 8, it was a huge part of it. That, and not trusting the predictor which advised against going with Jordy Nelson, thank you very much.

Ruslan
2016-12-27, 06:39 PM
When the Packers face the Lions on Sunday in Detroit, both teams may be in a unique situation, that never happened before in the history of NFL.

If, earlier that day, the Washington Redskins beat the NY Giants, both Packers and Lions will make the playoff if, and only if, their game is ... a draw! In this case, all three teams (Packers, Lions, Redskins) are on 9-6-1, and the former two have the better tiebreaks. Any result other than a draw means the winner advances with 10-6, of course, but the loser, with 9-7, falls out of the playoff picture, allowing the Redskins in.

Which makes me wonder, how will the game play out if this happens...

tomandtish
2016-12-27, 09:08 PM
All kidding aside, congrats on your win. Good to see someone's name at the top besides Roland's for a change.... :smalltongue:

Pendulous
2016-12-27, 09:43 PM
When the Packers face the Lions on Sunday in Detroit, both teams may be in a unique situation, that never happened before in the history of NFL.

If, earlier that day, the Washington Redskins beat the NY Giants, both Packers and Lions will make the playoff if, and only if, their game is ... a draw! In this case, all three teams (Packers, Lions, Redskins) are on 9-6-1, and the former two have the better tiebreaks. Any result other than a draw means the winner advances with 10-6, of course, but the loser, with 9-7, falls out of the playoff picture, allowing the Redskins in.

Which makes me wonder, how will the game play out if this happens...

While a week 17 NFC North showdown sounds great for a primetime last game of the regular season, it actually makes it bad because of this scenario. Green Bay and Detroit should play early and be forced to play for all the marbles, then the Washington game played later.

Roland St. Jude
2016-12-28, 11:30 PM
No one else will say it, so I have to say congratulations to me on my win. Interesting fact...several years ago I was in a final and a game in which I had Steven Jackson went to overtime, he ripped off an 80 yard TD run to give me an extra 14 points which was a big part of my winning margin. This time around, Jay Ajayi comes into OT and while it wasnt a TD run, it was still a 69er for 6.9 points and since I only won by 8, it was a huge part of it. That, and not trusting the predictor which advised against going with Jordy Nelson, thank you very much.Congratulations!

I am so salty right now about FF. Across my leagues, I crushed in total points for, average points for, played some of the hardest schedules, and seemingly made all the right moves to avoid leaving points on the bench or waiver wire. I lost in my work league championship to my arch-nemesis who had his best game by a full 30 points after sneaking into the playoffs. This after overcoming some of the most significant injury losses to my 2nd, 3rd, and 5th round picks. In another league, I lost in the semi-finals to a guy scoring his highest mark of the season (all four of my losses this season were to teams scoring a season high, as Yahoo was helpful enough to point out to me, along with the fact that I'd have been 10-0 against other teams last week and 12-0 if I had played my opponent's schedule for the year. Thanks Yahoo!). A second place and two third places sounds great, but it was going so much better than that. I'm about to quit this game (for a least a few months.)

Nomrom
2016-12-29, 11:00 AM
No one else will say it, so I have to say congratulations to me on my win. Interesting fact...several years ago I was in a final and a game in which I had Steven Jackson went to overtime, he ripped off an 80 yard TD run to give me an extra 14 points which was a big part of my winning margin. This time around, Jay Ajayi comes into OT and while it wasnt a TD run, it was still a 69er for 6.9 points and since I only won by 8, it was a huge part of it. That, and not trusting the predictor which advised against going with Jordy Nelson, thank you very much.

Sorry, I've just been pissed at myself for finally deciding to pull Bryant after a few bad weeks before he has probably his best game of the season. But definitely, congratulations to you for your victory. Enjoy that new champion title.

In other news though, I can't be too upset this season. I will win both of my other leagues this year. In my work league, I managed to sneak into the playoffs before then playing the best games of the season and destroying my opponents on the way to a championship (and a $100 payout). In my friends league, I was first place all season and continued the winning ways into the playoffs for two easy victories and the title there (alas no payout).

Plus, my Texans get to be champs of the weakest division in the NFL, so I get at least one (probably depressing) playoff game to enjoy.

Olinser
2016-12-29, 06:24 PM
I'm just so salty at all of my injuries. Gronk didn't even play half the season, CJ Anderson went out for the year on like week 3, Foster went out permanently, Corey Coleman broken his hand week 2 and came back crap, and then Doug Martin was out almost 2 months after week 2.

Man it was a terrible year for me.

MikelaC1
2016-12-29, 07:46 PM
Gronk didn't even play half the season

Sorry, but expecting a full season out of Gronk is unrealistic, given his lifestyle. You can only go body surfing with porn stars or so other form of stupidity so many times before you are going to get injured.

Roland St. Jude
2016-12-30, 02:15 AM
Sorry, but expecting a full season out of Gronk is unrealistic, given his lifestyle. You can only go body surfing with porn stars or so other form of stupidity so many times before you are going to get injured.That's a good theory. I'm still working on a unified theory of why San Diego pass catchers have exploding ACLs.

Olinser
2016-12-30, 03:56 PM
Sorry, but expecting a full season out of Gronk is unrealistic, given his lifestyle. You can only go body surfing with porn stars or so other form of stupidity so many times before you are going to get injured.

I didn't pick him for a full season. I picked him thinking he'd be available for playoffs, when he would actually matter. Of course that fell through and everything else piled up so I didn't even make the playoffs anyway.

Roland St. Jude
2017-07-25, 10:21 PM
Obviously, I got permission to revive this thread past the thread necromancy date.

I've decided not to run this again this year, but if anyone else would like to do so, please feel free.

tomandtish
2017-07-26, 02:59 PM
I'm game. And willing to run if no one else really wants it.

Roland, would you still be playing and just not running?

Do we want to keep the same basic league (that would mean adding on admin rights to whomever takes over).

Pendulous
2017-07-26, 03:05 PM
I'm not responsible enough to run it, but I'm in to play again this year when the time comes.

tomandtish
2017-07-31, 10:00 AM
I'm sensing a lack of interest. Only two people so far.

If you are interested in joining a FF league for GitP, let us know. Otherwise I'm beginning to suspect this was a one and done.

Olinser
2017-07-31, 04:46 PM
I mean I'd still be down for it, just let me know.

tomandtish
2017-08-10, 09:46 AM
OK, Only three total including me. I'm calling this DOA as far as a league goes. We can use it to talk about our other leagues though.

scalyfreak
2017-08-10, 11:22 PM
I'm already in two fantasy leagues,or I'd be in on this.

Next year?

Pendulous
2017-08-12, 09:42 PM
Can we talk about the NFL and our other fantasy leagues here? We don't have a dedicated NFL thread anyway, for the very few of us remaining.

Roland St. Jude
2017-08-21, 12:03 AM
Can we talk about the NFL and our other fantasy leagues here? We don't have a dedicated NFL thread anyway, for the very few of us remaining.Sure, seems as good a place as any.

tomandtish
2017-08-21, 03:10 PM
Well, my drafts aren't until 9/2 and 9/3 (pay and family leagues respectively) so no draft news on my part until then.

As for the NFL in general, injuries/suspensions are already starting to take their toll. Quite a few players out for the season already.

Pendulous
2017-08-22, 02:21 AM
Ours aren't even scheduled yet. Gonna be really late for us. Only in one this year it seems, since our usual group filled up two leagues easily this year, and our other group only ended up doing it once.

Far as actual football goes, watching Cowboys games and wondering why they still haven't decided to make Cooper Rush the backup QB. Kellen Moore seems weak, and the left-handedness forces the offense to shift for him. McCown is only good as a sideline veteran. Rush is almost putting up numbers that Dak did last preseason.

tomandtish
2017-08-22, 08:46 AM
Remember, with the change in the rule regarding cutting players, they don't have to make a final decision until 4pm on 9/2/17 when they have to cut to 53 players. Used to be they'd have already had to cut to 75 in mid-August, but they did away with that.

Rush was apparently taking second team reps in practice yesterday, so they are certainly considering it. But it's always wise to take preseason games with a grain of salt, since you usually aren't playing against the best the other team has to offer.

An interesting question would be: Do the Cowboys decide to carry 3 QBs so they can keep him and not risk losing him/Moore to waivers?

scalyfreak
2017-08-22, 12:20 PM
I can see Cowboys decide to keep Moore on as a third QB for a couple of reasons. For one, he can be consider a vet at this point in his career, and for another, he seems to be perfectly happy as a back-up/practice player (see his time with Detroit). He also knows the system very well, and seems to have a good relationship with the coaching staff. Players like that can contribute in practice and in the locker room, and tend to move on to coaching anyway. Basketball teams frequently keep veterans who have become inefficient on the court, because their contributions off it make them worth their paycheck, and it's not a stretch to imagine NFL teams doing the same thing.

That said, I agree with Pendulous that Moore's throwing arm is not quite NFL level, and his left-handedness causes the offense to have to adjust almost more than the opposing defense needs to.

So my prediction is, Rush takes over as back-up QB, and Moore stays on the roster as their third.

My second fantasy league drafts this Thursday. My first league drafted two weeks ago. Before the Elliot suspension was announced... guess who I drafted. :smallsigh:

tomandtish
2017-08-22, 12:42 PM
My second fantasy league drafts this Thursday. My first league drafted two weeks ago. Before the Elliot suspension was announced... guess who I drafted. :smallsigh:

That's why we always wait until the weekend before. It limits preseason trading, but also minimizes last second trades/cuts/injuries/etc.

scalyfreak
2017-08-22, 01:23 PM
Pre-season trading is the main reason we do it. The way we see it, the unknown element of what is going to happen during pre-season adds to the excitement and encourages trades and other roster moves. I took a gamble on Elliot, and now that he's appealed the suspension it may or may not work out. Meanwhile, I'm fielding trade offers for him. The owner of Darren McFadden has been particularly persistent...

The fantasy league I'm in at work drafts later this week. Because they're boring people who want things to be predictable. :smalltongue:

Olinser
2017-08-22, 06:00 PM
So what's your guys thoughts on the likelihood of Ezekiel Elliot actually serving this suspension this year?

Even if he does the full suspension I'm thinking I can probably get him pretty low for his presumed points later in the season and I'll have him for playoffs then.

scalyfreak
2017-08-22, 08:18 PM
If Ezekiel Elliot is still around when it's my turn to draft in the third round in my work league, he is mine.

tomandtish
2017-08-23, 12:06 AM
I suspect it will get cut to three or so (could be 2, could be 4). But he'll miss a few games this season.

scalyfreak
2017-08-26, 06:56 PM
Elliot was not around. Darren McFadden was still left on the board for the very last round though.

So... anyone here draft Julian Edelman?

Pendulous
2017-08-27, 02:38 AM
Looks like our draft is scheduled for September 2. Guess running late is a good thing to avoid picking up these people who have gotten hurt in the preseason. Though last year, I grabbed Dak as a joke, before Romo got hurt. Definitely helped me out a bit. Although, September 2 is also week one of college football, so...eh. Gonna be half paying attention to both.

Had to work so unfortunately missed the games today. I heard Beastmode is still Beastmode, which is nice.

Pendulous
2017-09-01, 05:35 PM
Had to join the second league instead to move around people so everyone made the drafts, so we drafted today.

Picked fifth, which I hate being in the middle (ten people). First pick was DeMarco Murray. Solid all around. Second was Michael Thomas. Unfortunately, the best WR available at the time. After that, I don't remember specifics. But I took a chance on Kareem Hunt for my second RB. With Ware out, he's gonna get the bulk of the snaps. Second WR was Jarvis Landry. Meh. Number one QB is Russell Wilson, and number one TE is Delanie Walker. Solid. Matt Forte and Jonathan Stewart round out my RB's. Stefon Diggs and Marvin Jones the rest of my WR's. Had issues trying to stay away from the same bye weeks, so I couldn't get exactly who I wanted at the time. There was also the issue of staying away from receivers on teams like the Niners who I have no idea who would even be throwing to them. Eric Ebron is my other tight end, and I got the Vikings defense. Picked up two kickers because I figured they're worth a bit more right now than defenses, and I have enough skill position players that I don't need to worry about dropping one for a week to grab a kicker during mine's bye week. At least until injuries happen.

Far as actual football news, Brock Lobster got dumped, Victor Cruz got dumped, Martavis Bryant is fully reinstated, and the Ezekiel Elliot thing is just getting weird. (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ezekiel-elliott-sues-the-nfl-claims-a-conspiracy-to-hide-critical-information/) The Cards dropped Chris Johnson, which sucks, but I wonder if he plans to keep playing.

scalyfreak
2017-09-01, 08:06 PM
Far as actual football news, Brock Lobster got dumped, Victor Cruz got dumped, Martavis Bryant is fully reinstated, and the Ezekiel Elliot thing is just getting weird. (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ezekiel-elliott-sues-the-nfl-claims-a-conspiracy-to-hide-critical-information/) The Cards dropped Chris Johnson, which sucks, but I wonder if he plans to keep playing.

I have Bryant in one league and Elliot in the other.

If Elliot's suspension holds, my starting RBs will be Amer Abdullah and Ty Montgomery. :smallmad:

tomandtish
2017-09-01, 10:43 PM
I have Bryant in one league and Elliot in the other.

If Elliot's suspension holds, my starting RBs will be Amer Abdullah and Ty Montgomery. :smallmad:

Elliott should have paid attention to Brady. The only valid basis for a suit is going to be whether or not they overstep the CBA. And the current one gives so much power that it's almost impossible to make that determination.

The petition claims Elliott was not given a fair process when he was denied an opportunity to confront his accuser and additionally when the testimony of Roger Goodell was not compelled during the appeal hearing.

Elliott's lawsuit claims he was not allowed to look at the investigative notes from the NFL's interviews with the accuser.

And what he (and Brady at the time) fail to realize is that none of this is required by the CBA. It's not a criminal court. The last CBA gave Goodell an obscene amount of power and very few checks and balances.

What he's setting up is a scenario where instead of missing games at the beginning of the season, he risks missing them at playoffs instead.

tomandtish
2017-09-02, 11:56 AM
Well, my pay league had their draft today. I'm not too displeased with the results.

(We play in a Two QB League).

QB Tom Brady
QB Andy Dalton
RB David Johnson
RB Marshawn Lynch
WR Michael Thomas
WR Amari Cooper
TE Jimmy Graham
FLEX Frank Gore
D/ST Seahawks
K Stephen Gostkowski, NE K
Bench Kelvin Benjamin WR
Bench C.J. Anderson RB
Bench Carson Palmer QB
Bench Randall Cobb WR
Bench Darren McFadden RB
Bench Eric Ebron TE

Had the second pick, but pick 1 went with Bell instead of Johnson. Am also taking a gamble on McFadden on my bench (namely that Elliott misses some games for some reason).

tomandtish
2017-09-03, 04:09 PM
And my other two drafts are done. These are 1 point PPR leagues in Yahoo, which claims I won both drafts (uh huh). Both are family leagues, and the first has an IR spot.

Drew Brees NO - QB
Mike Evans TB - WR
Martavis Bryant Pit - WR
DeMarco Murray Ten - RB
Carlos Hyde SF - RB
Martellus Bennett GB - TE
Golden Tate Det - WR
Duke Johnson Jr. Cle - RB
Andrew Luck Ind - QB
John Brown Ari - WR
Jamaal Charles Den - RB
Julius Thomas Mia - TE
Justin Tucker Bal - K
Kansas City KC – DEF

Russell Wilson Sea - QB
Jordy Nelson GB - WR
T.Y. Hilton Ind - WR
Melvin Gordon LAC - RB
Ty Montgomery GB - RB
Jimmy Graham Sea - TE
DeSean Jackson TB - WR
Mark Ingram NO - RB
Duke Johnson Jr. Cle - RB
John Brown Ari - WR
Eli Manning NYG - QB
Julius Thomas Mia - TE
Justin Tucker Bal - K
Kansas City KC - DEF

Daws2727
2017-09-04, 09:32 PM
I can only feel sorry for a guy in one of my leagues who drafted, and I am not exaggerating, Cameron Meredith, Spencer Ware, Julian Edelman, and Anquan Boldin. And this is in a 20 team league where there are not too many players to pick up. Meanwhile I got Kareem Hunt and Chris Hogan way late in the draft and have decided to not rub it in his face. Such is the fate of the early drafter.

scalyfreak
2017-09-04, 09:37 PM
I can only feel sorry for a guy in one of my leagues who drafted, and I am not exaggerating, Cameron Meredith, Spencer Ware, Julian Edelman, and Anquan Boldin. And this is in a 20 team league where there are not too many players to pick up. Meanwhile I got Kareem Hunt and Chris Hogan way late in the draft and have decided to not rub it in his face. Such is the fate of the early drafter.

Yikes.

In one of my leagues, someone who auto-drafted ended up with Edelman and Ware. In my other league, I drafted Spencer Ware. The day before his injury. :smallsigh:

Good thing I loaded up on running backs. :smallbiggrin:

Pendulous
2017-09-05, 01:25 AM
Never ever ever, play in a league with more than twelve players. You get to sixteen players, then you have zero options for free agent quarterbacks. 32 teams, 16 players with 2 QB's each.

Twenty players is just stupid, and I hope to hell they aren't paying for it.

scalyfreak
2017-09-05, 01:33 AM
Never ever ever, play in a league with more than twelve players. You get to sixteen players, then you have zero options for free agent quarterbacks. 32 teams, 16 players with 2 QB's each.

I could not agree more.

Most I have ever done was twelve teams in a league. Currently I'm sitting comfortably at ten teams in either league I'm in, which I consider optimal.

tomandtish
2017-09-05, 08:11 AM
Yea, 12 should be the upper limit. I did 14 once and that was miserable. I can't even imagine 20...

I have two leagues of 10 and one (my pay) of 8.

How many of you have two week playoff rounds and how many have one week playoff rounds? We go one week in all three leagues. Top 4 teams only.

scalyfreak
2017-09-05, 08:29 AM
How many of you have two week playoff rounds and how many have one week playoff rounds? We go one week in all three leagues. Top 4 teams only.

One of each. I had two-week playoffs in both leagues last year, but the ones in the league at work did not like that, so now that one is back to one-week playoff games.

Daws2727
2017-09-05, 11:04 AM
It's a 20 team league, with 22 player per team as well because of the 6 IDP spots and 3 WR spots. Nobody has a backup QB, so there are still free agents for bye weeks and injury and stuff. It's actually really fun!

tomandtish
2017-09-06, 12:55 PM
It's a 20 team league, with 22 player per team as well because of the 6 IDP spots and 3 WR spots. Nobody has a backup QB, so there are still free agents for bye weeks and injury and stuff. It's actually really fun!

Hey, if you enjoy it then more power to you. But that sounds crazy to me!

Also, if you haven't already heard, the Tampa/Miami game has been pushed to Week 11 (basically losing their Bye Week and having their first game week 2). So if you had players from either team starting this week you'll need to alter your rosters.

Pendulous
2017-09-07, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the reminder. Ugh. I have Jarvis Landry. Already not feeling confident about my team. Leaves week one with Russell Wilson, DeMarco Murray, Kareem Hunt, Michael Thomas, Stefon Diggs, Delanie Walker, and Jonathan Stewart.

Daws2727
2017-09-07, 06:23 PM
Anybody have a lot riding on tonight's game? I have Cooks and Hunt in one league. It's gonna be nice to have some NFL football again, even if CFL football is 1 1/2 times more entertaining. :smallbiggrin:

tomandtish
2017-09-07, 06:26 PM
Chief's Defense (in two of my three leagues).

scalyfreak
2017-09-07, 06:45 PM
Anybody have a lot riding on tonight's game? I have Cooks and Hunt in one league. It's gonna be nice to have some NFL football again, even if CFL football is 1 1/2 times more entertaining. :smallbiggrin:

My opponent this week has Tom Brady and Mike Gillislee, so I guess I do. He also has Jay Ajayi. :smallbiggrin:

In my other league I have Tyreek Hill.

scalyfreak
2017-09-07, 11:38 PM
So, who started Alex Smith against the Patriots?

I left Tyreek Hill on my bench. Kicking myself a little bit.

Pendulous
2017-09-08, 12:01 AM
OH MY GOD KAREEM HUNT, I LOVE YOU!!!

I missed the game due to work, but holy hell. 40 freaking points from Hunt. I've had whole teams not get 40 points before.

Daws2727
2017-09-08, 08:03 AM
When I stopped watching it was halfway through the third quarter and Hunt had I think 10 points. He must've had a nice 4th quarter. That is a nice way to start the year!

tomandtish
2017-09-08, 09:40 AM
The Chiefs Def took a bath point-wise. Only 3 points (fortunately they got three sack).

And of course, start the speculation on whether Brady has finally lost a step or two.

But both Hill and Hunt had excellent games. They are saying it was just cramps that caused him to leave in the fourth, so no worries there if you have him.

MikelaC1
2017-09-08, 11:45 AM
There is nothing more satisfying than watching the Cheatriots, and especially the Cheatriots D, get totally reamed. For all those players and fans who were barking about the perfect season before the first whistle even sounded, how are you feeling now?

Pendulous
2017-09-08, 02:20 PM
I'm a Chiefs fan (not before the Cowboys), so there may be some bias here, but don't let one game skew your opinion of Tom Brady. Chiefs have a dominating defense, and Brady lost his number one receiver.

Speaking of losses though, Eric Berry is out for the year with a ruptured achilles tendon. Really sucks.

scalyfreak
2017-09-09, 12:06 AM
I'm a Chiefs fan (not before the Cowboys), so there may be some bias here, but don't let one game skew your opinion of Tom Brady. Chiefs have a dominating defense, and Brady lost his number one receiver.

First off, my sympathies on Berry. We've all been there.

Second, you beat me to making this point.

The secret that makes Tom Brady truly great is not his freakishly fast pass release (0.3 seconds?!? Are we sure he's not some kind of cyborg?), or the fact he's in better shape at 40 than half the players in the league were at half that age. Brady is the NFL equivalent of Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant, and like with those two, what makes him great isn't his almost unnatural athleticism and physical conditioning. It's all in his mind - he's frighteningly intelligent when it comes to football, has an instinctive understanding of both the game itself and of every play on the field.

The first game of the season is practically Pre-season, Part 2.The starters are still working off the rust. Brady will adjust to losing Edelman, he will recover from this week's loss, and next week, the Saints defense will be very, very sorry, that so many "experts" out there spent this week writing off Tom Brady as "too old".

No, I am not a Patriot's fan. I am however a fan of the game of football itself (all true fans are), and from that point of view, it is impossible not to admire what Tom Brady does at the QB position.

MikelaC1
2017-09-09, 03:55 PM
I am however a fan of the game of football itself (all true fans are), and from that point of view, it is impossible not to admire what Tom Brady does at the QB position.

As a woman, I see Brady as man who cheated on his pregnant girlfriend, and every male high-fiving him for being able to shag two model quality women at once.
As a football ban, I see Brady as a player who shamelessly cheated in the Deflategate affair, was a participant in one year long deception where he spent the entire season on the "doubtful" injury status, and was a part of the organization that got caught in Spygate. Guilt by association.
As a person, I see Brady as an incredibly arrogant person who treats the entire public as being completely stupid, "I routinely destroy my phones every 3 months". Really? Or in actually considering taking a football discipline to the Supreme Court. REALLY?

Oh, I am quite sure the Saints will get pounded, and everyone will once again be praying at the altar of Tom Brady's divinity. I just wont be one of them. Football player, yes. As a person of character, no.

scalyfreak
2017-09-09, 05:15 PM
Football player, yes. As a person of character, no.

If we hold his character against him we have to do that with every other person as well and we end up with no one to root for in any sport anywhere.

Let's keep this thread to football, fantasy or real, and leave morals (as well as politics and religion) out of it, please?

Pendulous
2017-09-09, 07:30 PM
Guilt by association.

Um...wat.

No really, what?

scalyfreak
2017-09-09, 07:42 PM
Um...wat.

No really, what?

Allow me to translate:

"I hate the Patriots, so everyone who plays for them is a scumbag and not as good as people say they are."

Also applies to the Cleveland Cavaliers, the Los Angeles Lakers, and the New York Yankees. :smallwink:

scalyfreak
2017-09-10, 01:58 PM
Did anyone see this coming from the Jaguar's Defense?

24 points and counting...

tomandtish
2017-09-10, 02:31 PM
I'm more wrapped up in the fact that my three QBs in my pay league (2 playing, one on bench) have 11.7 points COMBINED so far....

Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton are in a "Hold my Beer" competition.

Pendulous
2017-09-10, 06:59 PM
Without Kareem Hunt, I would be boned. Still have Michael Thomas, Stefon Diggs, and the Vikings defense tomorrow, but I'm losing even with his forty points.

scalyfreak
2017-09-10, 07:47 PM
I think every player I drafted decided that this week would be a great week to have their worst game of the season. In fairness, half my rosters played in Green Bay, and that was one of the ugliest football games I have ever seen.

I take comfort in the knowledge that with every player under performing like this, I'm due for a bounce back next week.

Also, for those who own him: Allen Robinson torn his ACL. Out for the season.

@tomandtish
Out of curiosity, who is your third QB? Cousins?

tomandtish
2017-09-10, 08:16 PM
Brady, Palmer, and Dalton are my three in my pay league. Palmer threw for three INTs, and he was the good start. Dalton was fortunately on my bench, since he seemed to be trying to set a record for INTs in a game (threw 5).

I have Wilson in another league. Only reason he even got 8 points was rushing for 4....

Way my week is going, Brees (in my third league) will have the worst game of his career tomorrow.

And despite this I have a shot at winning two leagues. Admittedly, in one of those it's because my opponent gambled that OBJ would play.

scalyfreak
2017-09-10, 08:31 PM
I hope not. I have Keenan Allen, and if Drew Brees has a horrible night there will be no need for the Chargers to pass the ball! :smallannoyed:

I watched the Seattle-Green Bay game, and at one point, the announcers pointed out that Russel Wilson had more rushing yards than the rest of the Seahawks combined. I don't care how impressive that is, that's just not a good thing.

And be grateful your opponent made a big mistake... my opponent left Kareem Hunt on the bench. I will make sure to thank her when I see her at work tomorrow.

tomandtish
2017-09-10, 09:32 PM
Well, turns out it wasn't as big a mistake as i thought. Apparently Yahoo lets you drop bench players even after they have played, so he was able to drop a bench player and get a sub (Shephard). I'm paying for that one.

scalyfreak
2017-09-10, 10:35 PM
Apparently Yahoo lets you drop bench players even after they have played

That is wrong on so many levels.

Daws2727
2017-09-11, 07:48 AM
Jaguars D and Kareem Hunt won me one of my leagues, and in another, I need Drew Brees to fail badly. And in another, I need Drew Brees to get 40 points.

scalyfreak
2017-09-11, 07:15 PM
I hate when that happens. When I have the Seattle D in one league and my opponent has them in my other league. So conflicted!

Pendulous
2017-09-12, 06:35 PM
David Johnson out 8-12 weeks. Didn't have him in fantasy, and I'm not a Cards fan, but I still hate that. Was waiting for him to wreck people and break some records. If he has a full healthy, 16-game season, it's gonna happen.

Olinser
2017-09-12, 06:41 PM
So my first week I won with only 75 points. Because my opponent did even worse.

But hey a win is a win :smallcool:

I think I'm going to put Amendola in my starting lineup though. Maybe it was just a fluke but he got over 100 yards on a lot of targets this week and with Edelman out for the year it appears he may be the #2 receiver now.

scalyfreak
2017-09-12, 07:34 PM
In one of my leagues, my team totaled 60.4 points. In the other, 64.8

The worst part here is that the 64.8 points would have defeated five other teams in that league. I've no idea what these people are thinking. At least with my teams, I know what went wrong.

Olinser
2017-09-12, 07:48 PM
In one of my leagues, my team totaled 60.4 points. In the other, 64.8

The worst part here is that the 64.8 points would have defeated five other teams in that league. I've no idea what these people are thinking. At least with my teams, I know what went wrong.

I only scored 77 but that was a huge product of the fact that Martavius Bryant got 14 yards on 6 targets, Julio Jones only got 60 yards, and Jimmy Graham came up with a big fat zero (even though he was the target of a 3rd down touchdown pass from basically the goal line).

If those 3 guys had performed just to their projections I would have been over 100 and in a 14 team league that's pretty good.

scalyfreak
2017-09-12, 07:56 PM
There was a lot of that going on for everyone, I think.

My woes came in the form of Allen Richardson, Martavis Bryant, Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins.