PDA

View Full Version : I may have to DM for nine-year-olds, please help me

atemu1234
2015-12-29, 11:45 PM
So one of my friends has a younger brother, who's ten, and looks up to me. I'm fine by it, because why not. I don't like being a role model for anyone, because I'm bad at it, but ok.

But this kid has for for about a year now, because of his sister playing with me, I have little doubt, wanted to play D&D. And his sister has, for about as long as he has asked, refused to teach him to play D&D.

Now he's been telling other kids his year about D&D, and with little knowledge of the game been trying to assemble the group, and I've been asked by his parents along with him to teach him and two other kids his age to teach them to play D&D. The parents of him and one of the other kids all played 2nd edition together, and think it will be a great experience for them.

And that's where I am now. I have yet to say I will, but I have sent loaned my copy of the Player's Handbook, the Dungeon Master's Guide, and the first Monster Manual to his parents so he can get the basics down.

So I need to know how to DM for younger audiences - if indeed it is possible, which I hope it is.

I want them to also get the rules down, so that they can go on to DM for/Teach others.

So, anyone got experience with children, or (even better) teaching children to play D&D?

JonU
2015-12-30, 12:01 AM
I think limiting options would be the best bet and start at level 1. Maybe restrict it to just the PHB for races and classes and do an quick and easy campaign to allow them to figure out the basics of it all. Then once they seem to have a firm grasp on things open up available sources. In this case i really think the KISS method is probably your best bet.

Xuldarinar
2015-12-30, 12:05 AM
Is it possible? Yes.

Is it easy? That depends upon what you are working from. I cannot judge for the creativity, maturity, or vocabulary of your audience.

With a grain of salt, take this. I think as a general rule, try to ensure you handle as much of the mechanical aspects as possible, though I recommend still allowing them the tactile advantages of rolling a dice as with any normal campaign.

Simplifying class options might prove useful, though certainly work with them on this. At least have available this basic triad; Fighter, Rogue, and Sorcerer. If you keep it to those, things should move relatively smoothly even with the least adept of groups. The mechanics for them are relatively simple, they can cover all the roles you need, and you can give guidance on spell selection (keep in mind, a sorcerer isn't limited by spell list, just that they primarily draw from sorcerer/wizard). As they grow more accustomed, certainly expand the options available.

Be flexible. Im not saying creativity diminishes with age, but with that age group and a lack of concrete familiarity with the game, you may get some interesting things.

Be forgiving. Situations and traps a more mature or adept party can easily handle may not go so smoothly for the beginner.

And... thats all I got.

atemu1234
2015-12-30, 12:07 AM
I think limiting options would be the best bet and start at level 1. Maybe restrict it to just the PHB for races and classes and do an quick and easy campaign to allow them to figure out the basics of it all. Then once they seem to have a firm grasp on things open up available sources. In this case i really think the KISS method is probably your best bet.

Though I rarely (actually never) do core only games, this is the one exception. I am running core only, until they are experienced enough to handle it. Maybe when they're older.

I'll also need to help them build their characters. We'll start at level one, anyone know any pre-published adventures for first level that are any good?

ZamielVanWeber
2015-12-30, 12:08 AM
Instead of core only I would recommend use some of the classes in the SRD. It adds some that are, by fluff, cool and gives some options to use. I also find spontaneous casters, which includes all SRD psionics, to be easier to digest than prepared.

I would recommend:
Bard, Barbarian, Fighter, Ranger, Sorcerer, Psion, Psychic Warrior, and Soulknife.

This does cull almost all healing spells, so I would recommend starting at 2 and have mild encounters. Once they pick a class build it for them and explain what they do. I started 2nd ED at 7 and it took me a while to get any good at the game, but I did.

Aegis013
2015-12-30, 12:08 AM
When it comes to young kids, don't stick to the rules with an iron grasp. That's not what will be the fun part of D&D for them. Be flexible with actions, let them try things, give bonuses for describing actions. Let them find cool stuff (It doesn't have to be super mechanically strong. They'll get on the hype train for a +2 str belt if you're the conductor of said hype train).

I mean, you're looking at the age range of people who can be entertained thoroughly by mediocre kid's shows. The story doesn't need to be stellar, they just need to feel important and like they're getting cool stuff, so focusing on cool action sequences is probably better than a deep story. Encourage them to try actions that aren't necessarily just using an ability from their sheet if you can, even if it means frequently making up rules on the spot. Freedom to do whatever they like is important, as many D&D'ers can attest.

Troacctid
2015-12-30, 12:51 AM
Read the table and try and figure out what kind of players they are. Dungeon Master's Guide II has some great tips for this in Chapter 1. In fact, I would strongly recommend just reading the whole first chapter of that book, because the advice is just generally very good. In particular, you should absolutely be doing postgame analysis if you're running a campaign over multiple sessions, because it will result in a better campaign for your players, and it will improve your DMing skills as well.

nintendoh
2015-12-30, 02:12 AM
My son is not quite nine but closing in fast. They get big so quick. Anyway, so here is what i did to encourage his imagination. All little kids want to be a hero. Not just a hero, the epic hero of destiny and awesome that they fantasize about when theyvshould be studying. That being said they also want to hit stuff with a stick. The parents would appreciate if you kept it lawful good btw. Please dont let them go CE. I would focus on melee oriented classes like the fighter, barb and pally. Use familar monsters like zombies and dragons. I doubt a nine year old would know what a beholder is, but a zombie...yup. Reward creativity. Their first instinct will be" I HIT IT WITH MY AXE" Initially, run a one shot where they save a town from a BBG by retrieving the weapons of destiny. Kill a dialed down dragon. Add no housecats. It would be best if you ran a cleric npc or a rogue with infinite health potions. Kiss principle is gold here but expect a large amount of derailment. Haha kids can be more ocd then anyone so if they really want something, riding bear, make them work for it but give it to them. They will love it. Also, speaking from experience here don't let them name the characters after themselves. Characters die.

PS My son loves his riding bear. He calls it Paddington. His uncle drew a picture of his fighter riding the bear and waving a sword. He shows everyone and tell then " thats me"

Uncle Pine
2015-12-30, 02:46 AM
I may be wrong since it's been well over a decade since I've been 9 years old, but I think that a game where everyone is a Summoner with his own pocket monster eidolon to train going on an adventure or a Warforged with the focus of the game being upgrading oneself until everyone is a giant mecha of doom would be appealing for a young audience. But maybe kids these days have different tastes.

I'll also go against the tide and say that running a core-only game may not be necessary. In fact, doing so would strip 3.5 of one of the best aspect it offers: you can build whatever character you have in mind, usually in at least two ways. If you present the game to your young players this way and provide them the builds that suit their mental image of their character, then running a game with material from outside core won't be complicated for them at all. At worst, it'll be complicated for you.
Example: one of your players wants to be "like the guy in Skyrim, except I'm a robot". In other words, he wants to kill defeat his enemies by screaming at them, all while being a robot. Normally, this would require a player to cross-reference at least 4/5 books: Hyperconscious (3rd party, but written by Bruce R. Cordell so it's usually well received even by DMs that don't usually use 3rd party material; has the Voce Warrior PrC), EPH (has psionic base classes), ECS (has the Warforged race), PHB (has the feats you need as prerequisites for Voce Warrior), +1 in case the build isn't Psychic Warrior X/Voce Warrior Y and the player wants to multiclass with something outside PHB (as Listen and Move Silently aren't class-skills for Psychic Warriors). However, since I know you're good at optimizing stuff and build character, you can build such a character rather easily and present it to your player saying "This character does what you want, plus it has a small amount of psychic powers. You won't be able to do everything from the start, but since I expect the campaign to last up to Xth level you'll get there in a reasonable amount of time. Does it look good to you?".
Other example: one of your players wants to play Kirito from SAO. Someone already did that (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17503269&postcount=187), and he did a hell of a good work. Problem solved.
Remember that you're starting at 1st level, so the players will have time to learn each of their abilities one or two at a time. Using material from outside core is more complicated only for the person coming up with the builds (you). Even in core, prepared spellcasters and those with limited spells known will obviously have a harder time, as will every kind of spellcaster compared to a martial character, because the former has at any moment more options than the latter.

Echoing the suggestions to be flexible, forgiving and patient is obligatory. But you probably already know that. Best of luck! :smallwink:

EDIT: Others have said it, but reiterating the concept doesn't hurt: keep the kids' murderhobo tendencies to a minimum, should they show any. Also, avoid unnecessarily gritty situations. In other words, don't Break the Cuties (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BreakTheCutie).

ManicOppressive
2015-12-30, 03:31 AM
In addition to keeping it simple, I would be prepared to heavily railroad. Don't be afraid to suggest solutions and reprimand actions that are pointless or evil. Build the campaign around what they do, as always, but don't be afraid to wrench the plot back where you want it--I wouldn't bet on 9 year olds to be versed enough with stories to recognize that they're being railroaded.

Inevitability
2015-12-30, 04:59 AM
Make a number of pre-generated characters, then generally ask everyone what they want. I think a number of pregens equal to 3+number of players should prevent problems.

Then, make sure everyone knows their characters. Briefly say: "you're a thief, you can sneak well and have knifes" or "you're a wizard, you can burn enemies or make them confused".

Ask them what they want to do, then translate that to mechanics.

Don't forget to make sure everyone has a reliable attack to fall back on. The kids who play spellcasters will probably burn through most of their magic in a single encounter; give them a way to still be useful without spells. Reserve feats, perhaps?

Marlowe
2015-12-30, 07:54 AM
Please don't underestimate them. Nine/ten year olds can be frighteningly collected, team-spirited, and intelligent. Kids actually seem to get LESS mature after the adolescent hormones kick in. Elementary school teaching experience talking here.

I'm not saying it's going to be easy; but I've often found that that kids of age group are willing and able to listen, work together, and solve problems with an efficiency that older kids could not match.

Darrin
2015-12-30, 08:08 AM
Paizo has already done a lot of the legwork on this with the Pathfinder Beginner's Box and some free PDFs specifically designed to teaching the basics to kids as young as six.

Pathfinder Society: Kid's Track PDF (http://paizo.com/products/btpy8vq8?Pathfinder-Society-Kids-Track)

Beginner's Box Bash Demos Part 1 (http://paizo.com/products/btpy8q4o?Pathfinder-Roleplaying-Game-Beginner-Box-Bash-Demos-Part-1)

Beginner's Box Bash Demos Part 2 (http://paizo.com/products/btpy919d?Pathfinder-Roleplaying-Game-Beginner-Box-Bash-Demos-Part-2)

You don't need the Beginner's Box to run the demos (although as a "starter set" for RPG's, it's a fantastic product that includes sample characters and all the rules you need to run them up to 5th level, a two-sided dry erase map, and over 80 cardboard monster counters). You can use either the SRD or PFSRD, and at this basic level they're almost indistinguishable from each other.

There are several free intro scenarios on the Paizo website as well: We Be Goblins (http://paizo.com/products/btpy8j5w?Pathfinder-Module-We-Be-Goblins), We Be Goblins Too! (http://paizo.com/products/btpy8xc3?Pathfinder-Module-We-Be-Goblins-Too), and D0: Hollow's Last Hope (http://paizo.com/products/btpy82r0?GameMastery-Module-D0-Hollows-Last-Hope) (a short intro adventure that leads into D1: Crown of the Kobold King (http://paizo.com/products/btpy7yqz?GameMastery-Module-D1-Crown-of-the-Kobold-King)).

Barstro
2015-12-30, 08:47 AM
I like reading suggestions like this because it shows how differently people like things and view children. I, for instance, never cared for just hitting things with sticks and always went for Thief or Magic User.

Issues and suggestions;

New to the game and do not know how to start
Limit choices. Personally, I'd go Fighter, Magic User (probably sorcerer, but things can be adapted), Rogue, Cleric, Archer. But you want to make sure the classes are something that YOU as DM understand well so you can instruct.

New to the game and will make deadly decisions
Start hit points at 1dx+10. Frankly, I think every character in every game should start out that way to prevent early TPK.

Skills are hard to understand
Have an idea of what skill checks will be used and have them put ranks in those. You need to have an idea of what will happen on a failed check (they will fail).

Players have no understanding of this universe
Give them an NPC guide.

Fights are too quick and can lead to TPK
See my HP suggestion above. Alter the enemies to do less damage, but have more HP. This allows fights to be longer without risk of a one-shot death. It helps your PCs learn teamwork.

My personal suggestion for a scenario is to have the group be familiar with each other and given a simple quest. Since your players are nine-year-olds, making the PCs 13-18 and on a "coming of age" trial for their village would work fine. This would give them a definitive goal so that playing sandbox style would not get out of hand. Something like the local church has run out of holy crystals and they need to go to the caves 100 miles away to get this year's supply. An elder from the church goes with them for guidance and occasional healing (but the church has a vow of nonviolence, so he cannot engage in fighting (maybe he becomes incorporeal during fights).

As stated, I like magic users. However, they have flaws that need to be addressed both for low levels and new players. I think that you, as DM, should select what spells are known. You may want to use Pathfinder's version of Cantrips so that the caster can still work in battle after blowing through both spells. I'd also have him find a wand of Magic Missile pretty early (or invisibility, if there is a Rogue). The added +10 HP for first level gets rid of their other flaw.

Similarly, you should guide the crafting of the party as a whole so that it meshes well. If all the kids actually do just want to hit things with sticks, so be it. I'd still make one a rogue for that fun +d6. But, if they all want different roles, you need to be able to help them come up with a party that will work well together (this is where I like buffing clerics).

Best of luck. Sounds tedious. :smallwink:

EDIT:
Leveling is fun. Make this a 1-3 game so they learn neat things and can advance. Have them become level 3 just before the BBEG.

yellowrocket
2015-12-30, 08:56 AM
My party as a dm is 8, 9 10, 14. And the one with the second best system mastery is the 9 year old. She is starting to get how things work together (Ala battlefield control and various blasting spells). The 10 yo is there for the ROLEplay. The 14 yo wants to ROLL play. And the 8 yo is along for the ride. She has a hard time immersing herself in the world. Making sure they use their character names can help with immersion and making them talk in 1st person can keep their attention.

Figures for combat is something I have to add to make combat a little more fun. I wouldn't let them do prepared casters yet, too much bookkeeping. Sorcerers would be good and you can build the list around their theme.

Keep things moving. When I don't give them a couple obvious plot hooks things slow way down. They go fishing to find dinner and want that to be part of the story. Not wrong, but its just a lot harder to make interesting to those not fishing. Or you end up with a split group.

It's doable you just have to have patience, remind yourself who you're ding for and have fun make things silly occasionally.

Aletheides
2015-12-30, 09:12 AM
I play in a biweekly Pathfinder game that my DM started up for her 12-year-old son and his friends; may not be the 9-year-old range you're looking for, but maybe I can offer a few suggestions:

-As Marlowe said, don't patronize them too much. Kids are sharp little buggers. :smallsmile: Just take into account that they get excited easily (especially if you're doing it right!), and get bored equally easily.

-There's nothing wrong with making the game core-only, at least to start with. Slogging through a half-dozen rulebooks to get what you want can be boring for adults, let alone kids with no experience.

-If you don't use pregens, give their character sheets an audit before you really start playing. This is especially important for casters; our group's players tended to focus on immediate physical stats, and didn't pay attention to their casting stats. As a result, two characters had to be readjusted when we hit level 4-5, as their stats didn't support 3rd-level spells.

-It helps to have an adult player with a low-key character in the group. I wanted to support the kids' characters, but didn't want to outshine any of them--so I play a bard. That way, I can fill in if a player has to miss a week, and can nudge them in the right direction when we get unfocused...without the DM having to railroad us too much.

-Be theatrical! If you can take a moment to flesh out the scene when a character gets a killing blow, or a good critical, or even if they fail ("The arrow THUNKS into the tree, two inches away from the orc's face--it flinches away in terror!"), those are the moments they'll remember more than anything. Try to give each of them some heroic moments, if you can.

Good luck and have fun!

Amphetryon
2015-12-30, 11:29 AM
In addition to all the good advice above, make it a point to make the world interesting. IME, pre-adolescents are less likely to jump right to the "killing monsters, looting, and shopping" paradigm and be interested in a world with which they can interact. Know the names of the shopkeepers, and give them memorable personalities. . . or at least, memorable tics. Let the interesting mundane things in the world be interesting, and kids will be more likely to immerse themselves in the game.

yellowrocket
2015-12-30, 11:48 AM
[QUOTE=Amphetryon;20243996 Know the names of the shopkeepers, and give them memorable personalities. . . or at least, memorable tics. Let the interesting mundane things in the world be interesting, and kids will be more likely to immerse themselves in the game.[/QUOTE]

Yes this. Joe the farmer, who grew food and ingredients to make non magical healing potions was one of the kids favorite people. They could trade with him, he had news, and for what ever reason the kids immediately grew an attachment to this throw away character. But being able to go back and talk with him and having that exchange kept them in the world.

Callin
2015-12-30, 11:50 AM
To reiterate what others have said. The KISS Method is best for now. Keep storylines short, but the monsters Memorable and Iconic. Keep it Flexible because kids can see interest in the littlest things and having them run off on a tangent and it becoming important can really suck them in. Not everytime, but once in a few games. Dont feed discouragement. Just stop the game for a few minutes to let the child chill out and regroup. You will probably want to keep game times shorter than normal as well.

Reading this thread kind of makes me want to start teaching my oldest who is now 10. I think she would really like it.

Janthkin
2015-12-30, 12:07 PM
I'd suggest decoupling the two elements of D&D for this - separate role-playing from the mechanics (particularly the combat mechanics). For the latter, consider subbing in one of the D&D board games (Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, etc.), with their simplified mechanics. I brought a bunch of friends into role-playing by way of Heroquest (way) back in the day, and once they started grasping the basics, then we moved on to more complicated rpg systems.

On the role-playing side, try to construct your story like a bumper-bowling lane - they've got some freedom to wander, but if they stray too far, they get nudged back into the lane. You don't want the early frustration of "I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing" to override the fun.

Alternatively, maybe run a campaign of Mice & Mystics first?

YossarianLives
2015-12-30, 12:59 PM
I have just two things to say. Much of the stuff being said in this thread is good, but I have something to add.

Please, please, don't railroad them and limit them to boring human fighters. That stuff sucks. I started D&D as a kid and I would have loved to play a flying, fireball-throwing, giant-hammer-wielding, lizardperson. But no, I got to play a human fighter. Not only that, but I found out that my actions were limited. I didn't fully comprehend that I was being railroaded but I was immensely frustrated when the DM told me that my clever plan didn't work without even asking me to roll. Kids will lose interest quickly if you force them to be some bland scrub fighting goblins in a cave. I'm not saying that you shouldn't let them play fighters, if they want too, but kids greatest strength is their imagination. Don't limit it by forbidding certain actions or characters.

Uncle Pine
2015-12-30, 01:06 PM
Please, please, don't railroad them and limit them to boring human fighters. That stuff sucks. I started D&D as a kid and I would have loved to play a flying, fireball-throwing, giant-hammer-wielding, lizardperson. But no, I got to play a human fighter. Not only that, but I found out that my actions were limited. I didn't fully comprehend that I was being railroaded but I was immensely frustrated when the DM told me that my clever plan didn't work without even asking me to roll. Kids will lose interest quickly if you force them to be some bland scrub fighting goblins in a cave. I'm not saying that you shouldn't let them play fighters, if they want too, but kids greatest strength is their imagination. Don't limit it by forbidding certain actions or characters.
This is what I meant when I said "provide the kids the builds that suit their mental image of their character". Masterkerfuffle here simply said it ten times better. D&D = if you can imagine something, you can do it. Well, except for firing greatsword and halberds with a bow. But that's another story. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?389104-Did-you-just-kill-someone-by-shooting-a-halberd-at-him-Yes)

yellowrocket
2015-12-30, 01:21 PM
You just need to be strong enough to wield a bow 2 sizes bigger take the to hit penalty for an improvised weapon and you probably could use a bow to fire a great sword.

Or be a hulking hurler and throw it. As for the halberd, there's always always a balista.

Barstro
2015-12-30, 01:28 PM
D&D = if you can imagine something, you can do it.

With the caveat; if it's going to be broken, don't allow it.

"I want to play a fire throwing, flying sorcerer."

"Well, you can, but you need to be much higher level. For now, this character has to stay on the ground"
Then have him find a wand of flying with five charges later in the game.

Do they still make the good Choose Your Own Adventure books (not by that company, though)? I remember 30 years ago when some were by D&D and required making maps, rolls, and limited spell selection. That's how I first started to get into roleplaying.

Uncle Pine
2015-12-30, 01:37 PM
With the caveat; if it's going to be broken, don't allow it.

"I want to play a fire throwing, flying sorcerer."

"Well, you can, but you need to be much higher level. For now, this character has to stay on the ground"
Then have him find a wand of flying with five charges later in the game.
Oh yes, I meant that the system allows pretty much everything over the course of 20 levels.
If you want to play a fire throwing flying sorcerer and you don't start as a raptoran, you're first going to wield and throw fire and then do it while flying.

Inevitability
2015-12-30, 01:50 PM
Well, except for firing greatsword and halberds with a bow. But that's another story. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?389104-Did-you-just-kill-someone-by-shooting-a-halberd-at-him-Yes)

I'm sure there's some way Aptitude weapons can help here.

Uncle Pine
2015-12-30, 02:15 PM
I'm sure there's some way Aptitude weapons can help here.

No, because arrows are specifically not weapons. They're ammunitions. Believe me, I tried.

But if you find a way, don't hesitate to share it.

Quertus
2015-12-30, 02:15 PM
I recommend asking them what they want to play, and using your superior system knowledge to build that for them.

I recommend starting at whatever level is required to make all of their builds come on line, not limiting yourself to first level.

I recommend giving them some sample encounters, designed to let them try their abilities, and learn the rules. Like any new players, expect to need to take some extra time with them. This also gives you some idea how they approach solving problems.

P.F.
2015-12-30, 03:24 PM
Lots of great advice here so far. A few points that cannot be over-emphasized enough:

Don't underestimate your kids. Nine-year-olds, especially bright nine-year-olds, catch on quickly and excel at learning new things. They are also past masters at games of "what if," which happens to be the same type of game that D&D is.

Keep it simple. Core-only works fine for most purposes, and things my players really want that aren't readily available in Core can usually be accommodated by re-fluffing existing options. There are a tremendous number of options available in core alone, and starting with just the PHB will make the (optional) reading homework more manageable.

Also, returning to the previous point, don't be surprised when your nine-year-olds' close reading of the core rules turns up some game mechanics effects you hadn't considered, or discovers some rules dysfunctions which you'd forgotten about. And you don't want to get caught up in rules-lawyering with a precocious nine-year-old. I usually try to just arbitrate, house-rule, retcon anything that's broken, and move on.

Reward creativity. Imagination is what D&D is about, and often new players will have novel or unexpected solutions to problems; I try not to shoot them down just because they are improbable or far-fetched. If a planned action seems unlikely to work and the consequences for failure are low, I assign a Difficulty Class, let them try it, and see what happens. If the risk is dire, I encourage them to think it through a bit; perhaps they can come up with a way to improve the odds of success.

Play to the players. Know what about the game excites each of your players, and include something for each of them in each session. I second the advice about reading the relevant chapter in the DMGII.

Keep it PG. I'm not so much talking about sex and gore here--in fact, I expect your players to occasionally shock you with their imaginations--I'm talking about teachable moments. Regardless of the number they write after "Age:" on their character sheets, your young players will be acting with the agency and faculty of adults. Hold them to it. Corralling them with higher level NPC's is contrary to the fantasy, but enforcing social consequences from their equals is not.

Cooperation and helpfulness can be rewarded with a good reputation, gifts, and favors; betrayal and callousness can be discouraged by notoriety and possibly angry mobs of peasants. I don't go overboard on the moralizing: it's okay to try out some bad-guy antics sometimes. However, I don't neglect the consequences either. A role-playing game is about interacting with the world in new and impossible ways, not just doing whatever you want all the time.

Finally, moderate and facilitate, don't instruct and direct. D&D uses the structure of a story, but it's also a game. When my players want to change characters or retcon their existing character, I just go ahead and let them. Perhaps they will want to play a party of all sorcerers at some point. This is fine. If it doesn't work, I let them try something else. I make suggestions, but I try not to let myself become attached to any particular outcome. Oftentimes, a TPK which the players earn themselves is more rewarding than a victory that they were browbeaten and micromanaged into or a Deus ex Machina rescue.

ksbsnowowl
2015-12-30, 10:54 PM
We'll start at level one, anyone know any pre-published adventures for first level that are any good?The Sunless Citadel is an excellent first level adventure. I started running that series of modules 18 months ago, & it has been great.

You can read my campaign journal of that campaign HERE (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=14113.0).

Also, despite the recommendations of others, DO NOT start above 1st level. You may know the system mechanics well, but these kids do not. High level means more (too many) options, and higher numbers to add together. The game really is a whole lot easier to learn with first level characters.

Elxir_Breauer
2015-12-31, 05:06 AM
I started playing at about 14, and had to bring in my 8 year old brother at the same time, back in 2e AD&D. If he could grasp at the basics of THAT at 8, I'd say many 9 year olds and 10 year olds should have relatively little problem as long as You keep an eye on what they WANT to do and explain how to do that within the rules. Don't be afraid to houserule a penalty or bonus for something not quite covered by the rules (such as the above mentioned using a bow to fire greatswords or halberds, I recommend at least a -4 per hand required for the weapon being fired, but if they DO hit on that nat 20, make it sound suitably AMAZING!)

Let us know how the first few sessions go, I'm honestly curious to see how these kids compare, lol.

Inevitability
2015-12-31, 07:28 AM
On the recurring subject of bows: a way to at least make it look like you're firing greatswords from one is to buy a custom magic item (shaped like a bow) that lets you cast Catapult at-will (estimated cost: 10800 GP). Now create a few mithral greatswords (2050 GP apiece), which weigh only 4 pounds, letting you throw them with Catapult.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-12-31, 01:22 PM
Also, despite the recommendations of others, DO NOT start above 1st level. You may know the system mechanics well, but these kids do not. High level means more (too many) options, and higher numbers to add together. The game really is a whole lot easier to learn with first level characters.

The reason I recommended 2 is that the resources are more plentiful without the jump in complexity that casters receive at 3/4 when they gain their new level of spells. Starting at one can work but you would need
1) to identify monsters with a high kill potential and avoid them and
2) find a way for them to regain HP without having a player do it. You don't want them to get into the thought school that the cleric is obligated to provide healing.

Banjoman42
2015-12-31, 01:27 PM
I got this

Tomb of Horrors. Done.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-12-31, 01:35 PM
I got this

Tomb of Horrors. Done.

Excellent. That will teach those new players to enjoy their characters.

Banjoman42
2015-12-31, 01:42 PM
On a more serious note, I've spent my entire DMing career playing with Low optimization players. It's been my experience that they will rather not cast spells than cast indirect spells. With 4 different wizards, I've never seen one cast ray of enfeeblement, silent image, or protection from evil. They cast charm person, magic missile, mage armour, and chill touch.

Avoid monsters with SR, energy resistance, or very high saves. You might want to increase the power of damage dealing spells. Another option is to open access to classes that are better at blasting, but that's not the best option IMO.

Malroth
2015-12-31, 01:49 PM
NPC Bard 3 with a wand of cure light wounds, Inspire courage and Inspiration boost, Plot wise have him be a butler or servant who takes a back seat to the players decisions only offering advice when they seem stuck otherwise fighting defensively, throwing buffs on party members starting on round 2 so that they will start to notice the difference.

Blackhawk748
2015-12-31, 02:13 PM
I'll also need to help them build their characters. We'll start at level one, anyone know any pre-published adventures for first level that are any good?

The Sunless Citadel is fun. Its got pretty much everything a starter adventure should have.

ksbsnowowl
2015-12-31, 03:38 PM
The Sunless Citadel is fun. Its got pretty much everything a starter adventure should have.

Agreed. See my previously linked campaign journal to get some insight into updating it to 3.5 - I've even got a text document with 3.5 stat blocks that I can send to you if you PM my an email address.

Garktz
2016-01-01, 01:28 AM
I.ll also like to share my point of view on this topic, not about them being 9 years old but about being totally new to d&d.

Something that, looking back at it now, i would have apreciated is to go for a "test" session for the first time.
What i mean is, dont "teach" them the game, make them learn, i.ll expand.

For the 1 session, my suggestion would be that you bring a few pregen characters, ask them to pick one and run a really short "one shot" make it a really simple dungeon, 10 rooms, 4 normal encounters, 1 boss, 2 trals and 3 safe rooms.
Go from simple to complex, and each combat, add something new like
1 Combat, 4 goblins, just up to their face and smash
2 combat 2 orcs, sword and board for one and long spear for the other, here you introduce combat manuvers (bull rush, trip, reach with the spear and so on)
3 Room, 2 archers, a barricade and 2 guys keeping safe the archers, now they know ranged combat
4 room, 4 goblins again, but 1 of the is a sorceror, he uses bfc spells until 2 goblins are dead, they retreat and then use blasting, now they know about both types of casting (kind of)
and for the boss, just 1 bbeg to show them "boss mechanics"

after they have gone through that (keep it kind of easy so they dont suffer much) ask them what they want to play and help them build their characters.

mabriss lethe
2016-01-01, 02:47 AM
I'd be tempted to abandon 3.5 for this. It's not that kids can't handle it, It just might be easier on all parties to use a more rules-light system. It gives you and them more fudge room to create an engaging game.

Ger. Bessa
2016-01-01, 10:56 AM
So one of my friends has a younger brother, who's ten, and looks up to me. I'm fine by it, because why not. I don't like being a role model for anyone, because I'm bad at it, but ok.

But this kid has for for about a year now, because of his sister playing with me, I have little doubt, wanted to play D&D. And his sister has, for about as long as he has asked, refused to teach him to play D&D.

Now he's been telling other kids his year about D&D, and with little knowledge of the game been trying to assemble the group, and I've been asked by his parents along with him to teach him and two other kids his age to teach them to play D&D. The parents of him and one of the other kids all played 2nd edition together, and think it will be a great experience for them.

And that's where I am now. I have yet to say I will, but I have sent loaned my copy of the Player's Handbook, the Dungeon Master's Guide, and the first Monster Manual to his parents so he can get the basics down.

Do you know what that means ? You have Leadership IRL!! You can break IRL !! Make that kid an artificer and have him pick Leadership too.

atemu1234
2016-01-01, 08:08 PM
I'd be tempted to abandon 3.5 for this. It's not that kids can't handle it, It just might be easier on all parties to use a more rules-light system. It gives you and them more fudge room to create an engaging game.

They're adamant for 3.5 D&D, plus the only system I have enough working knowledge on besides is Call of Cthulhu.

Marlowe
2016-01-01, 08:22 PM
Unless they had more issues with maths than I did at that age I don't think 3.5 will be a problem. Kids that age tend to appreciate being given structure, and enjoy figuring out systems. 3.5 gives a lot of opportunity to tinker around under the hood and work out for themselves how things work.

gtwucla
2016-01-02, 12:24 AM
Unless they had more issues with maths than I did at that age I don't think 3.5 will be a problem. Kids that age tend to appreciate being given structure, and enjoy figuring out systems. 3.5 gives a lot of opportunity to tinker around under the hood and work out for themselves how things work.

I second that. Being a giant kid and teaching them for nearly decade I can tell you if they become hooked after the first game, they are going to delve into all the books of 3.5 like no one you've ever met. Maybe go light the first session at level one, with simple but cool sounding equipment/spells, and then let em run with it.

Baldin
2016-01-02, 05:09 AM
Hey,

I'm a leader for cubs scouts, age 7-11, and we have player something simulair to d&d called Kids, Castles and Caves. Its a d&d like game based on a d6 system created for children.

Uncle Pine
2016-01-02, 06:44 AM
They're adamant for 3.5 D&D, plus the only system I have enough working knowledge on besides is Call of Cthulhu.

Why not opting for a Call of Chtulu game? I'm sure they'd love it.

PoeticDwarf
2016-01-02, 06:55 AM

So I need to know how to DM for younger audiences - if indeed it is possible, which I hope it is.

I want them to also get the rules down, so that they can go on to DM for/Teach others.

So, anyone got experience with children, or (even better) teaching children to play D&D?

I started with D&D when I was eleven, I played 4e (really simple) and half a year later when it came out 5e (even simpler) and I remember what I liked about D&D then, I don't know if that is with everyone but personally the following things helped

1. Keep it simple, maybe don't allow every class (fullcasters are tricky) and start first level, if one of them makes a character you can help and explain, but if they want to use a sling or shortbow as fighter you don't have to say that isn't really good because they don't mind anyway.

2. Dungeon crawl sounds simple, but for a first game better design a city and make some simple sidequests, they can do whatever they want and if they don't know what to do a villager can ask for help.

3. Children know more than you would think, they can be very creative so if one of them wants do something difficult (or even impossible for their features) let them just roll.

My brother once DMed for a 7 or 8 years old, he designed an adventure where there were evil goblins and a village asked for help to defeat the goblins, the child thought it was really cool.