PDA

View Full Version : Are there any +1 LA templates that give flying?

SangoProduction
2015-12-30, 03:55 AM
I don't want anything that's crazy, like Unseelie Fey (because that was, in all likelihood was an oversight), I'd also like to avoid any reductions in size from Medium. Also, being able to apply to apply it to an Outsider (Fire) creature is prefered, but not neccesarily needed.

Fizban
2015-12-30, 04:17 AM
Unfortunately, flying is considered the benchmark for LA+2. There might be one I'm not aware of, but as far as I know every single creature with flying will always have a minimum of LA+2 even if the rest of it is crap. Best you can get is Raptoran or Dragonborn, the latter can be applied to various hummanoid races but removes all their special abilities anyway.

Edit: ha!, as soon as I post I remember the one. Air Mephlings from Planar Handbook have fly 10' perfect at LA+1, but they're small and airy. You can use a feat to boost the speed to 20', but otherwise you'll need some decent casting to go any faster.

Inevitability
2015-12-30, 04:41 AM
A single level in the Ghost Progression Class should do it. It also makes you incorporeal and undead, though, which might be a problem.

Troacctid
2015-12-30, 04:43 AM
Mulhorandi Divine Minion lets you turn into a hawk for +1 LA.

ShurikVch
2015-12-30, 05:09 AM
White Dragonspawn (Bestiary of Krynn, Revised) have Fly speed at LA +1

Dragonborn (Wings aspect) will get Fly speed from 6th level at LA +0

Unseelie Fey (with some lucky rolls) may have Fly speed at LA +0

Trap Haunt (Dragon #307) - it's incorporeal Undead and can fly...

Chronos
2015-12-30, 10:19 AM
There's a Winged template somewhere that does literally nothing but give you wings that you can fly with, and it's +2. So at the very least, if there's anything that does what you want, it's evidence of the developers not being consistent.

As mentioned, though, raptorans and some dragonborns get wings that develop as they gain levels, reaching full flight at level 6. It seems to me that I've seen some other race with the same deal, too, but I can't remember what it was. Dragonborn can probably be applied to an outsider (it's unclear whether it's humanoid-only or any type), and one of the few things a dragonborn retains from their original race is type and subtype, so you'd still be (fire).

Zanos
2015-12-30, 10:23 AM
Dragonborn can probably be applied to an outsider (it's unclear whether it's humanoid-only or any type), and one of the few things a dragonborn retains from their original race is type and subtype, so you'd still be (fire).

The Platinum Dragon foreswore breeding creatures to oppose Tiamat's spawn, instead accepting humanoid volunteers to his righteous cause...Such humanoids give up all their former racial identity and are born anew...Each one enters the world as a halfling, an elf, a human, or a member of some other humanoid race with all that race's propensities and traits
Seems pretty clear to me.

Gale
2015-12-30, 10:46 AM
An interesting way to gain flight is with a Lesser Aasimar or Tiefling and the Outsider Wings feat from Races of Faerūn. It allows them to fly at their land speed with average maneuverability, although it requires the Celesital/Fiendish Bloodline feat as a prerequisite. It's still not a bad way to gain access to flight if your DM allows flaws, and unlike Dragonborns or Raptorans your ability to fly isn't hindered by the character's HD. Therefore you could theoretically have full access to extraordinary flight at level 1, without any level adjustment.

ShurikVch
2015-12-30, 11:15 AM
Seems pretty clear to me.On the other hand -
Prerequisites: In order to be accepted as a suitable candidate, the supplicant must be non-evil and have an Intelligence score of at least 3.It don't say you should be of Humanoid type, or even a living creature

Second quote is just an example of typical Humanoid-centric thinking of WotC authors - they think all PCs are Medium- or Small-sized humanoids

Chronos
2015-12-30, 03:56 PM
And the "mechanics of rebirth" sidebar says "You retain your original type and subtypes", which, while not inconsistent with "humanoid-only", would be an awfully weird phrasing if they meant "You retain the humanoid type".

MaxiDuRaritry
2015-12-30, 04:05 PM
Dragonwrought kobolds can take the Dragon Wings feat. Changelings can count as kobolds if they take Racial Emulation. Get some retraining in, and voila.

You could also take a level in monk and find one of various ways to turn your unarmed strike into a throwing/distance weapon. Add in Far Shot (preferably through an item), and the accuracy spell, and you can throw your body 80' as an attack action. Add in a ring of feather fall and it's just about as good as flying at a ridiculously fast speed, albeit with a few oddities.

Or you could bind the phase cloak soulmeld to your shoulders chakra to turn ethereal. This will let you fly at half speed, though you stop flying between turns.

There are also several fairly cheap flight items, like the winged mask, from Magic of Faerun; 13,000 gp for at-will Fly. Or buy some wands (and an eternal wand, which you use first every day, to save charges) of Alter Self. Or (much later on) buy or craft a psychoactive skin of proteus for at-will metamorphosis.

BowStreetRunner
2015-12-30, 04:24 PM
Any creature with the dragonblood subtype has access to the Dragon Wings feat (RotD) at first level and then the Improved Dragon Wings feat at 6th level. One way to add this is with the Draconic creature template which appears in Draconomicon and was reprinted in Races of the Dragon. It has a LA of +1 and can be applied to 'any living corporeal creature except a dragon'.

Alternately an Aasimar or Tiefling can gain the Outsider Wings feat from Races of Faerūn if they already have the Celestial/Fiendish Bloodline feat as well as Base Fortitude, Will, and Reflex Saves of +2.

John Longarrow
2015-12-30, 04:44 PM
I'd talk to your DM... Fell Flight is a lesser invocation that any 6th level warlock can take. By 12th, they can burn a feat to get it.

Flight is not worth a 2 LA hit. That said also talk about LA buy off. See Reducing Level Adjustment in the SRD for the quickest way to find these rules.

Mystral
2015-12-30, 05:31 PM
All hail the air mephling, my favorite race.

Calimehter
2015-12-30, 08:34 PM
If you can get access to the 1st level spell Updraft, you can make any of the Level 1 glider-type wing options (Raptoran, Dragonwrought with the wing feat, etc.) do a much better job of emulating true flight at very low level.

martixy
2015-12-30, 08:44 PM
White Dragonspawn (Bestiary of Krynn, Revised) have Fly speed at LA +1
How is it different from the Dragonlance Campaign Setting version?

P.S. 10K gp. give you twice-landspeed flight without any LA. Feathered Wings, Fiend Folio.
Aberration Blood + Starspawn also give you flight for the price of 2 feats. (Mourning Mutate instead of Aberration Blood if you're not humanoid.)

MaxiDuRaritry
2015-12-30, 08:52 PM
P.S. 10K gp. give you twice-landspeed flight without any LA. Feathered Wings, Fiend Folio.If you don't want to worry about turning evil from a demonic graft, the BoED has rules for rituals to turn Evil items into Good items. It's still a demonic graft, but it's a GOOD-aligned demonic graft.

martixy
2015-12-30, 09:09 PM
If you don't want to worry about turning evil from a demonic graft, the BoED has rules for rituals to turn Evil items into Good items. It's still a demonic graft, but it's a GOOD-aligned demonic graft.

You know, I've always been amused they chose to call it "Redeeming magic items" instead of "Purging" or somesuch.
But um... IMO at least, things are a little iffy when it comes to grafts. Especially fiendish grafts. I mean they're sort of like items, not exactly. Redeeming Purging items requires dispel, but they're not magical, so what exactly are you dispelling/suppressing? And evil outsiders are (presumably) irredeemable, and their nature is the source of the graft's bad effects.
So eeehhhh....

MaxiDuRaritry
2015-12-30, 09:19 PM
You know, I've always been amused they chose to call it "Redeeming magic items" instead of "Purging" or somesuch.
But um... IMO at least, things are a little iffy when it comes to grafts. Especially fiendish grafts. I mean they're sort of like items, not exactly. Redeeming Purging items requires dispel, but they're not magical, so what exactly are you dispelling/suppressing? And evil outsiders are (presumably) irredeemable, and their nature is the source of the graft's bad effects.
So eeehhhh....Tell that to WotC's LG succubus paladin.

martixy
2015-12-30, 09:23 PM
Tell that to WotC's LG succubus paladin.

That's why I said presumably. :smallbiggrin:
Heck, I myself have recently been looking into non-cheesy ways of redeeming a demon lord (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?472861-Could-a-Demon-lord-be-redeemed).

ShurikVch
2015-12-31, 06:04 AM
How is it different from the Dragonlance Campaign Setting version?Template was errated in Price of Courage:
The following are changes to the dragonspawn template given in Chapter 7 of the Dragonlance Campaign Setting.
"Dragonspawn" is an acquired template that can be added to any corporeal giant, humanoid, or monstrous humanoid of Small, Medium, or Large size (hereafter known as the “base creature”).
Size and Type: Creature type changes to dragon with the augmented subtype and the same subtype as the dragon type (fire, cold, etc) of its creator. Size remains unchanged. Do not recalculate base attack bonus or saves.
Special Qualities: Add the following special quality to the template.

-Immunities: The creature gains immunity to sleep and paralysis effects, as well as immunity to the type of damage dealt by their breath weapon (acid, electricity, etc).That errata was incorporated in Bestiary of Krynn, Revised