PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions if you please...

Stormcrow
2007-06-12, 08:03 PM
I'm looking to knock together a new character for an upcoming game and I'm looking at an enigmatic planar warrior kind of deal. I think it'll be a level 7 start so level adjustments are acceptable if not preffered.

Thinking of using the crescent scythe from Sandstorm with two weapon fighting for combat. Tempted towards the elements of fire and wind.

Suggestions?

Yuki Akuma
2007-06-12, 08:13 PM
If you're going to Two-Weapon Fighting route, for the love of Kord tack some rogue/swordsage/warblade/ninja/anything else that gives bonus damage per attack on there!

TWF isn't a good choice unless you have some source of bonus damage per strike.

Jack Mann
2007-06-12, 08:26 PM
If you have access to it, take swordsage. Desert wind would fit in nigh-perfectly with your concept.

How attached are you to the crescent scythe? If you can bear to change weapons, the shadow hand feat could give you dexterity to your damage. As Yuki said, you really need to some extra damage coming from somewhere.

Alternately, you could go into bloodclaw master, which would give you full strength to your off-hand attacks, and remove the penalty for two-weapon fighting.

If you could tell us some more about what books are available to you, we could help you more.

Stormcrow
2007-06-12, 08:29 PM
In the conceptual stage anything printed by WotC.

Jannex
2007-06-12, 08:49 PM
I agree with Swordsage and Desert Wind maneuvers, as it's thoroughly in line with what you've described thematically. Tiger Claw maneuvers are useful too, if you're TWFing. Another good option for you, I think, is the Dervish prestige class from Complete Warrior; it works well with TWF and has a similar thematic feel.

...Y'know what? I think Swordsage is pretty much the way to go for you. Desert Wind, Tiger Claw, and some Shadow Hand. There's a SH stance that gives you 2d6 sneak attack. Just because. Good stuff.

Jack Mann
2007-06-12, 08:50 PM
So, swordsage is probably your best bet. You'll want to go with tiger claw and desert wind maneuvers in particular. As I said, going with shadow blade for extra damage would help a lot, but you'd have to give up the crescent scythe to use a shadow hand weapon, or else convince your DM to houserule the crescent scythe in for you. Still, if you can keep your strength high and go into bloodclaw master, you can do without it. Best if you can do both, though.

Don't go with more than two levels in bloodclaw master, by the way, unless you're a shifter. Two levels will give you everything you really need.

Concentrate on boost maneuvers. Most strikes are standard actions, and don't mesh well with two-weapon fighting (with a few exceptions like wolf fang strike). Generally, you want to be able to use the full attack action to take advantage of those extra attacks you get.

Don't hesitate to reflavor things as needed. Change it from "Shadow Hand" to "Jackal's Path." When you shift (a special ability of the bloodclaw master), you're not becoming tiger-like. You're becoming more like a lion, or a leopard, or whatever animal you like. Or perhaps not even that. You're focusing on your connection to another plane (you mentioned planar warrior, did you not?), and that has given you these abilities. Or you just occasionally get +2 strength. The claw attacks don't matter if you don't use 'em. I'm just throwing out ideas.

Stormcrow
2007-06-13, 05:59 PM
Thankyou for the help.

Draz74
2007-06-13, 07:32 PM
Not as powerful as the stuff that's been suggested, but Horizon Walker could also be good. Early on he can pick the Desert Terrain Mastery and stuff, and eventually the Fire Planar and Shifting Planar masteries.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-06-13, 09:26 PM
A plane touched +0 human or other race gives you 7 levels and a few bennies without costing you any levels while being in concept from your theme.

A Psi warrior might also be considered unusual and another option as a lot of campaigns don't use a lot of psionics. If he knew the Astral Traveller (and the Astral Caravan under learning variant psionic power rules) he could be guarding (or running) planar caravans or expeditions.

Might only know a single gate/nexus/portal to the planes or be from Sigil and be more knowledgeable or a prime from Zakhara or Anauaroch plenty of other desert regions and campaigns but Zakhara has a lot of planar travellers passing through) who discovered the Infinite Stairway recently in his travels which basically opens up access to all the planes with a few days walking.

bosssmiley
2007-06-15, 01:47 PM
Check out the Planar Sunstitution levels in "Planar Handbook" if you get the chance. They add a little extra 'outworld' flavour.