PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerers Prepared Spells

Ruethgar
2015-12-30, 01:41 PM
Is there anywhere that prohibits the preparation of spells by sorcerers? I know spontinaity is their whole schtick, but I was looking at their spells class feature and it says things like they need not prepare spells or they can cast without preparation, implying they still can, but never stating it. Is the implication sufficient or would it need to say it out right?

LoyalPaladin
2015-12-30, 01:50 PM
Is there anywhere that prohibits the preparation of spells by sorcerers? I know spontinaity is their whole schtick, but I was looking at their spells class feature and it says things like they need not prepare spells or they can cast without preparation, implying they still can, but never stating it. Is the implication sufficient or would it need to say it out right?
I think that they probably could do it in the same way that a wizard would, by RAW. But then the bigger question is why would they do it? By fluff though, I'm fairly certain that they just sort of make spells happen, so I'd probably say no. I'm AFB, so maybe someone has better information than I do.

LTwerewolf
2015-12-30, 02:00 PM
Unlike a wizard or a cleric, a sorcerer need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his spells per day for that spell level. He does not have to decide ahead of time which spells he’ll cast.

The wording here is such that it's communicating the lack of need to do so, but not the ability to do so. Just like a fighter can't cast spells because nothing says they can't, a sorcerer does not have the ability to prepare their spells. It's simply using the wizard, which they obviously considered the "standard" or "right" way to do it (and given what Skip Williams has said, this is the case) as a basis of comparison, only made awkward because the wizard comes later in the book than sorcerer does.

Ruethgar
2015-12-30, 02:07 PM
Furnace Within is why I ask, particularly coupled with Miser With Magic and Dragon Mystic. However upon closer reading it does not work and would be of little consequence without that, or similar coupling.

phlidwsn
2015-12-30, 02:15 PM
Complete Arcane has a feat, Arcane Preparation to allow a Sorcerer to do exactly this. Given that, I would be inclined to read the original Sorcerer text as not allowing preparation.

Ruethgar
2015-12-30, 02:54 PM
Along similar lines, the rules for sorcerous metamagic don't appear to have been updated in 3.5 to reflect the spell action naming alteration. A strict RAW reading of this would mean that only non-updated 3.0 spells and those with a longer casting time would be subject to the metamagic time increase. A more reasonable reading would be any 1 action, be it full round, standard, swift, move, immediate, or free. But also just updating the line to reflect every other use of the term's update to 1 standard action would be completely reasonable. Which would you use?

LTwerewolf
2015-12-30, 03:00 PM
Spontaneous Casting and Metamagic Feats: A cleric spontaneously
casting a cure or inflict spell can cast a metamagic version
of it instead. For instance, an 11th-level cleric can swap out a
prepared 6th-level spell to cast an empowered cure critical wounds
spell. Extra time is also required in this case. Casting a 1-action
metamagic spell spontaneously is a full-round action, and a spell
with a longer casting time takes an extra full-round action to cast.

It's just in a different spot in the 3.5 handbook. While it does not call out sorcerers specifically, it still includes them.

Ruethgar
2015-12-30, 03:23 PM
It's just in a different spot in the 3.5 handbook. While it does not call out sorcerers specifically, it still includes them.

Except "1 action" is a spell casting time. It equates to "1 standard action" in 3.5 but I cannot find any alteration to its definition resulting in only standard action and above spells being altered with increased casting time. There are very few base move/swift action spells but it makes them all the sweeter for a sorcerer.

LTwerewolf
2015-12-30, 03:43 PM
I don't recall move/swift action spells ever being affected, so no change.

ShurikVch
2015-12-31, 06:27 AM
Corrupt Arcana from Heroes of Horror allow spontaneous caster to prepare and cast Corrupt spells