PDA

View Full Version : Throwing a longsword help

WanderinCourier
2015-12-30, 01:51 PM
So this is a quick question for y'all.

Im designing an animal lord human Fighter/MegaRaptor. As a result he gets a mixture of melee and natural attacks. Its at Level 12 so with fighter his BAB is 12/7/2, in addition to his 2 claw/ Bite/ and foreclaw attack.

Im designing him to be able to make two melee attacks with his longsword than throw it and proceed with his natural attacks. (The longsword has the throwing weapon enchantment on it.)

Now what feats would i need to optimize this, the obvious being multiattack to lower the natural attacks to a -2. But what about the throwing part.

Also when adding the +1 throwing enchantment to a sword like this when thrown does it do its normal damage or how does it factor?

Jormengand
2015-12-30, 02:12 PM
May I suggest adding Returning to the longsword?

LTwerewolf
2015-12-30, 02:31 PM
Bloodstorm blade is based around throwing melee weapons, and would be a good place to start.

WanderinCourier
2015-12-30, 02:45 PM
May I suggest adding Returning to the longsword?

Actually i was leaning more towards throwing and calling enchantment.

That question also led me into wondering I know i need to pay the +1 for it to be able to get the enchantment. Would putting throwing and calling on it, would cost about 18,000 gold i believe. So would it become a +3 longsword of throwing and calling?

2015-12-30, 02:46 PM
If you're only throwing a weapon once a round, and it's always the same weapon, Throwing+Returning is sufficient for your purposes, and Bloodstorm Blade is not necessary.

Eladrinblade
2015-12-30, 03:04 PM
Now what feats would i need to optimize this, the obvious being multiattack to lower the natural attacks to a -2. But what about the throwing part.

Also when adding the +1 throwing enchantment to a sword like this when thrown does it do its normal damage or how does it factor?

Well, in the PHB you have point blank shot, precise shot, far shot, and improved precise shot. You most likely won't get the improved version, and you'll only need precise shot if you're fighting around allies. Far shot will certainly help, because your longsword has a range of 10ft to begin with, which is not much. PBS is just bonus attack/damage. The distance enhancement can be added to your weapon, which is the same as far shot.

Brutal throw and power throw from complete warrior will help you with damage.

Are you planning on power-attacking with your first two longsword attacks? If you do, you'll take the same penalty on your claw/claw/bite but without the two-handed bonus damage, so it's probably not such a good idea. If you instead switch from a longsword to a throwing axe or trident, you'll have a weapon that already has a throwing range, and you'll only need the returning enhancement.
In which case, a +1 returning weapon will just cost you 8300gp ish.

Yes, the sword will deal it's normal damage, but you won't get any two-handed or power attack bonuses to damage, and you'll use your dex on the attack instead of strength unless you get the brutal throw feat.

LTwerewolf
2015-12-30, 03:07 PM
Actually i was leaning more towards throwing and calling enchantment.

That question also led me into wondering I know i need to pay the +1 for it to be able to get the enchantment. Would putting throwing and calling on it, would cost about 18,000 gold i believe. So would it become a +3 longsword of throwing and calling?

No, it would be a +1 longsword of throwing and calling. Additional effects do not increase the enhancement bonus unless the additional effect is an enhancement bonus.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-12-30, 03:19 PM
You might want the Brutal Throw feat (Complete Adventurer) to use your Strength for the throwing attack, and potentially also Power Throw (same) to Power Attack with it. Or two Bloodstorm Blade (Tome of Battle) levels accomplish the same thing and more besides-- your throw basically is a melee attack, with all the usual feats and rules applying to it. Another two levels nets you a bonus feat and the ability to have the weapon instantly bounce back to your hand.

2015-12-30, 03:25 PM
I'm actually gonna recommend against Bloodstorm Blade; since you're only throwing a weapon once a round, you don't need the lvl 4 feature (Returning/the lvl 1 feature will suffice), but the level 1 features requires you to spend maneuvers to use it. Unless you have enough starting levels to start with Bloodstorm Blade 4 and you want to use your starting money for other things, just spend the money and use your levels on something that will improve the rest of your fighting style. Now, if you want to switch to just throwing the longsword multiple times a round, BB is pretty great for that (in the "you need BB to avoid bankrupting yourself" way).

WanderinCourier
2015-12-30, 03:40 PM
You might want the Brutal Throw feat (Complete Adventurer) to use your Strength for the throwing attack, and potentially also Power Throw (same) to Power Attack with it. Or two Bloodstorm Blade (Tome of Battle) levels accomplish the same thing and more besides-- your throw basically is a melee attack, with all the usual feats and rules applying to it. Another two levels nets you a bonus feat and the ability to have the weapon instantly bounce back to your hand.

I was actually thinking about getting a belt of mighty hurling which does something similar.

However while looking through the Wonderous items one caught my eye that could potentially be useful to this character, the Amulet of Mighty Fists.

Which led me to a new question, the description says a can apply a melee special enchantment to the amulet to affect your unarmed/natural weapons, could the keen enchantment affect natural weapons like that?

2015-12-30, 03:56 PM
I was actually thinking about getting a belt of mighty hurling which does something similar.

However while looking through the Wonderous items one caught my eye that could potentially be useful to this character, the Amulet of Mighty Fists.

Which led me to a new question, the description says a can apply a melee special enchantment to the amulet to affect your unarmed/natural weapons, could the keen enchantment affect natural weapons like that?

My vague recollection is that the keen enchantment needs to be applied to weapons with a particular damage type; it should be on the SRD, but I can only respond really quick right now so I can't check.

daremetoidareyo
2015-12-30, 06:14 PM
Consider the adaptive weapon property as well: the tormtor school feat from DotU will allow you to throw it as a swift action if you hit with it.

WanderinCourier
2015-12-30, 06:32 PM
Consider the adaptive weapon property as well: the tormtor school feat from DotU will allow you to throw it as a swift action if you hit with it.

Adaptive is only for Composite Bows unfortunately.

daremetoidareyo
2015-12-30, 06:35 PM

You're absolutely correct. I mixed it up with Aptitude weapon. Which does allow you to transfer your weapon mastery stuff to different weapons.

LTwerewolf
2015-12-30, 06:36 PM

Aptitude weapon from tome of battle however has no such prerequisite.

daremetoidareyo
2015-12-30, 06:44 PM
My vague recollection is that the keen enchantment needs to be applied to weapons with a particular damage type; it should be on the SRD, but I can only respond really quick right now so I can't check.

I think that you're correct because then versatile unarmed strike (secrets of sarlona, PHB2) would therefor be useless.

Which, you could then use to turn your aptitude returning longsword + tormtor school combo, if you have more feats to spare for some reason, you could add improved critical and staggering blow to your longsword, thereby giving you a weird stun attack through your thrown longsword. Which you throw at some dude nearby every turn right after you hit the dude right in front of yourself with it and all your keen fists.

2015-12-30, 06:57 PM
Finally got a chance to check the SRD: Keen (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#keen) can't be applied to bludgeoning weapons (although there's a weapon enchantment in the MIC that does the same thing for bludgeoning weapons, making this limitation pointless).