PDA

View Full Version : blur plus concealment

yellowrocket
2015-12-30, 04:12 PM
Answered :)

Jeraa
2015-12-30, 04:55 PM
It doesn't stack. You simply get the greater of the two benefits.

Concealment Miss Chance

Concealment gives the subject of a successful attack a 20% chance that the attacker missed because of the concealment. If the attacker hits, the defender must make a miss chance percentile roll to avoid being struck. Multiple concealment conditions do not stack.

Also, as far as I know, there isn't anything with a 40% miss chance. Miss chances from concealment are only 20% or 50%.

Troacctid
2015-12-30, 05:05 PM
Also, as far as I know, there isn't anything with a 40% miss chance. Miss chances from concealment are only 20% or 50%.

An 18th level character with three levels of Umbral Disciple can gain a 40% miss chance from Embrace of Shadow by investing 4 points of essentia into it.

yellowrocket
2015-12-30, 05:07 PM
You're right it is 50, if more than 5 feet and 20 if 5 feet or less. Had to go back to reread them. Thanks.

Thanatosia
2015-12-30, 08:23 PM
I'm Curious, why are you are making a point about there nothing with a 40% miss chance? No one else before you in the thread mentioned that number (though the OP has edited out his post before I read it so it's probably a response to something he said), and the existance or non-existance of an effect that grants 40% miss chance seems irrelivent to the discussion.

But for what it's worth, Swiftblades can have 40% miss chance. At class level 4 their Blurred Alacrity ability grants 40% miss chance vs physical attacks, while at class level 7 their Evasive Celerity ability grants a special 40% miss chance vs targeted spells.

Jeraa
2015-12-30, 11:48 PM
I'm Curious, why are you are making a point about there nothing with a 40% miss chance? No one else before you in the thread mentioned that number (though the OP has edited out his post before I read it so it's probably a response to something he said), and the existance or non-existance of an effect that grants 40% miss chance seems irrelivent to the discussion.

But for what it's worth, Swiftblades can have 40% miss chance. At class level 4 their Blurred Alacrity ability grants 40% miss chance vs physical attacks, while at class level 7 their Evasive Celerity ability grants a special 40% miss chance vs targeted spells.

Because the OP asked about stacking a a 40% miss chance with a 20% one. That is one of the reasons you shouldn't go back and delete the question once it has been answered.

And I did say "as far as I know". But as the OP was specifically talking about miss chance from concealment, and concealment only has a 20% (for normal concealment) and a 50% chance (for total concealment), I wasn't wrong.

Eladrinblade
2015-12-31, 06:14 AM
The DMG says the DM can rule for varying degrees of concealment (pg 153). It gives light fog (10%) and near-total darkness (40%, +10 to hide checks) as examples. Also, heavy undergrowth grants 30% concealment.