PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Simple Q&A D&D 4e Thread 3

Pages : [1] 2

Savannah
2015-12-30, 04:22 PM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 4e.

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is the best class? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

{The first several versions of this thread seemed to run pretty efficiently, but if you have any comments about how this thread could be improved please PM me.}

The previous version of this thread can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?241245-Simple-Q-amp-A-D-amp-D-4e-Thread-II-Electric-Boogaloo).

Please start over with the numbering. Thanks.

Terdarius
2016-01-13, 02:13 AM
Q1: The lvl 15 Sorcerer attack Lightning daggers is causing some discussion at my table for 2 reasons.
The effect line of the power says: "Until the end of the encounter, you can repeat the attack as a free action once per round during your turn."

So does this allow the player to make the same attack as a free action during the same turn as the initial power was used? I would think RAI it wouldn't?

And does the free attack have to be vs the initial target or can you freely choose who to attack? The fluf line seems to imply the same target? but since it doesn't specify "against the same target" I would think it's not limited to one target?

Sol
2016-01-14, 01:49 AM
Q1: The lvl 15 Sorcerer attack Lightning daggers is causing some discussion at my table for 2 reasons.
The effect line of the power says: "Until the end of the encounter, you can repeat the attack as a free action once per round during your turn."

So does this allow the player to make the same attack as a free action during the same turn as the initial power was used? I would think RAI it wouldn't?

And does the free attack have to be vs the initial target or can you freely choose who to attack? The fluf line seems to imply the same target? but since it doesn't specify "against the same target" I would think it's not limited to one target?

A1:

RAI simply isn't a thing. It's impossible to know, and arrogant to assume. If something is poorly written and thus ambiguous, it's up to the DM. In general, though, powers do what they say they do, and here this means that yes, it can be repeated on the same turn it's used, and yes, you can freely choose new targets each turn if you want to.

Terdarius
2016-01-14, 10:41 AM
Re: A1

Well that was a bit harsh...

I am in fact the DM in this case and perhaps I should have elaborated on that fact.
I believe RAI is definately something, though I agree it is never a certainty what the developers were thinking (or smoking) at the time. Though you can glance what they wanted to achive by looking at the fluf line and the relative power level compared to other powers of similar level.

But regardless, my underlying questions about using the power as a free action right away was of course if there is any rule errata or president that prevents this. If not, i'm fine with it.

As for the power targeting the same creature or not. I'm actually the one telling the player that he can target others with it, but he refuses this because of the fluf line... So I was hoping someone could back me up in the fact that if it isn't stated to be the same target you can also target others. (I believe there are other powers that make that distinction but i'm not sure)

masteraleph
2016-01-14, 11:34 AM
Fluff is irrelevant to rules, because there are a number of rulebooks that suggest strongly that players should refluff. Could the Lightning Daggers be physical daggers? Sure. Could they be bits of a Lightning Soul Genasi launched at enemies? Sure. Could they be electrical shocks to an enemy's heart? Sure. Could you frame all of your lightning attacks and damage as fire (as long as you still use the items/feats/etc. for lightning attacks and damage)? Sure. That's actually a big difference between 4e and previous editions, and it's one of the reasons a number of people disliked it- they wanted to be told how to interpret their actions, while WotC basically said "as long as you follow the rules, describe it how you want."

Sol
2016-01-14, 11:58 AM
Fluff is irrelevant to rules, because there are a number of rulebooks that suggest strongly that players should refluff. Could the Lightning Daggers be physical daggers? Sure. Could they be bits of a Lightning Soul Genasi launched at enemies? Sure. Could they be electrical shocks to an enemy's heart? Sure. Could you frame all of your lightning attacks and damage as fire (as long as you still use the items/feats/etc. for lightning attacks and damage)? Sure. That's actually a big difference between 4e and previous editions, and it's one of the reasons a number of people disliked it- they wanted to be told how to interpret their actions, while WotC basically said "as long as you follow the rules, describe it how you want."

In addition to this, for non-Dragon magazine powers, fluff was almost universally added later by copywriters and editors, and not actually written by a game designer, much less by the same person who wrote the mechanics of the powers.

Kurald Galain
2016-01-14, 12:13 PM
In addition to this, for non-Dragon magazine powers, fluff was almost universally added later by copywriters and editors, and not actually written by a game designer, much less by the same person who wrote the mechanics of the powers.

Q2 Well, that would explain a lot (and I know the MtG team works that way)... nevertheless, do you have a source for that claim?

Sol
2016-01-14, 12:45 PM
Q2 Well, that would explain a lot (and I know the MtG team works that way)... nevertheless, do you have a source for that claim?

A2:

Multiple friends who worked with WotC during the 4e run (one of them was a copywriter!), which I realize would be a pretty easy thing to lie about on the internet. I'll do some googling and see if it was ever mentioned publicly.

Dacia Brabant
2016-01-17, 12:47 AM
A2: FWIW I once looked into an editor job at WOTC early in the 4E era, and my understanding of what they wanted from their editors comports with that separation of game design and flavor, since the intent was for design to be portable across the flavor spectrum.

[Obiter Dicta]Based on two decades of work experience in publications, I suspect this is the lion's share for much of the company's infamous ambiguity and outright contradictions between published "crunch" and "fluff" going back to 3rd Edition, as copy is cheap and easy enough to produce, but real bona fide editing is a long, painstaking process that relies on free and open communication between the parties who are generating and editing content, and no corporation I have ever worked for has ever respected that process.[/Obiter Dicta]

Anyway, A1: yes, Lightning Daggers can be repeated as a free action in the round it was first used for the simple reason that free actions are used during the turn of the character using them. From a game balance perspective this isn't that unreasonable, as it's a L15 striker daily on a class build written after MM3. It's definitely powerful, especially on a storm soul genasi, but I've been in a mid-paragon game where it was used frequently and we still had to rely on a good bit of luck and player intelligence to survive due to encounter design.

Q3: has there ever been RAW that states that replacement stats for basic attacks (via feats like Melee Training or class features like Attack Finesse) also apply to generic attacks like grabs and bull rushes?

masteraleph
2016-01-17, 09:36 AM
A3 No. But neither is so powerful that a DM should have any problem with it (unless you're strictly RAW).

Dimers
2016-01-31, 12:32 AM
Q 4

Psionic Power p151 says that superior implement training allows you to apply one of a superior ki focus's properties per attack, and that you need multiple instances of the feat to learn more than one property. Is there any later alteration to either rule?

MwaO
2016-02-02, 05:22 PM
A4: That's more that if as an example, you want an Accurate Ki Focus and a Mighty Ki Focus, you need to take the feat separately twice. And any given Ki Focus can only be one kind of Superior and you can only use one ki focus at a time - so for practical reasons, no one would ever take the feat more than once.

Dimers
2016-02-02, 08:31 PM
A4: That's more that if as an example, you want an Accurate Ki Focus and a Mighty Ki Focus, you need to take the feat separately twice. And any given Ki Focus can only be one kind of Superior and you can only use one ki focus at a time - so for practical reasons, no one would ever take the feat more than once.

Ehhh, all but the Accurate ki focus have two properties, like Mighty includes both Unerring and Empowered Crit. But unlike other superior implements, you can only use one property per feat, not one variety of ki focus. It strikes me as odd that ki focuses would be different from other implements that way. I love ki focuses, but I can't say I think they're in need of a nerf like that. Like, if you spend a feat on crystal orb, you get Energized (Psychic) and Undeniable, but spending a feat on inexorable ki focus gets you Energized (Force) or Unstoppable.

masteraleph
2016-02-02, 11:03 PM
Take a look at the Superior Implement rules on page 40 of Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium, which seems to suggest that the superior ki focus language in PsP has been depreciated.

Jesse Booth
2016-02-07, 03:32 PM
Q5

Can a beastmaster ranger (mp1) put out damage like the two builds in the phb1? Specifically, I'm curious how they compare in late paragon to early epic.

Grey_Wolf_c
2016-02-07, 03:34 PM
Q5

Can a beastmaster ranger (mp1) put out damage like the two builds in the phb1? Specifically, I'm curious how they compare in late paragon to early epic.

No. It is generally considered a weaker build, although it is still high teer. Not exactly a Rules question, though - you may want to open a thread to ask for optimization of the beastmaster for tips.

GW

Finleyville
2016-02-07, 03:57 PM
Q6

If I use the psychic power Living Missile on a creature to slide them in and out of a psychic power Cerulean Cage augmented zone multiple times does the creature take multiple instances of the cage's noted damage within the same round?

Most magic zones that I know of state if the creature "starts" or "ends their turn in the zone" then X amount of damage occurs. Makes sense.

The zone from the Cerulean Cage states, "Any creature that leaves the zone takes X damage." So if I slide the creature in/out of the zone 5 separate times with the Living Missile power isn't the creature "leaving" the zone 5 times and therefore going to receive 5X damage in the round?

Sol
2016-02-08, 03:38 PM
Q6

If I use the psychic power Living Missile on a creature to slide them in and out of a psychic power Cerulean Cage augmented zone multiple times does the creature take multiple instances of the cage's noted damage within the same round?

Most magic zones that I know of state if the creature "starts" or "ends their turn in the zone" then X amount of damage occurs. Makes sense.

The zone from the Cerulean Cage states, "Any creature that leaves the zone takes X damage." So if I slide the creature in/out of the zone 5 separate times with the Living Missile power isn't the creature "leaving" the zone 5 times and therefore going to receive 5X damage in the round?

Yes. Zone abuse was one of the most common methods of dealing ridiculous damage early on in 4e's lifespan. For some reason, their solution was to apply errata on a power-by-power basis, near ubiquitously inserting the phrase, "A creature can take this damage only once per turn," instead of adding that to the rules about Zones.

Since they missed this one, it's legal, but your DM still may throw things at you if you actually do it.

MwaO
2016-02-08, 05:25 PM
Q5

A5: The major problem for beast master rangers is that the beast master gives up Prime Shot. Prime Shot gives access to the Prime Shot feat tree of Called Shot+Improved Prime Shot(i.e. +2 to hit/+5 to damage at a cost of 2 feats - that's really strong). Also, as you can't take Archer Fighting Style, you can't qualify for Battlefield Archer, a really strong Archer paragon path.

At the same time, though, Twin Strike is really good and Sharpshooter isn't a bad paragon path.

Jesse Booth
2016-02-28, 12:36 AM
Q6

Do you add an enchanted weapon's enhancement once per attack, or on every roll? For example, if I have an attack that does 2d8 damage and a +2 wand, would I deal [d8+2] + [d8+2] damage, or 2d8+2 damage?

Tegu8788
2016-02-28, 12:49 AM
A 6

Only the once per roll, sorry. If you made multiple attacks you get to add them each time, but only once for each damage roll.

darkbard
2016-02-28, 07:09 AM
A 6

Only the once per roll, sorry. If you made multiple attacks you get to add them each time, but only once for each damage roll.

Which is why multiattack powers rule in 4E, especially beyond early Heroic, when the static modifiers begin to accumulate if you build for them.

Tegu8788
2016-03-07, 08:09 PM
Q 7

What are the mechanics for learning how to enchant an item? I don't mean the Enchant Item ritual, but applying a specific enchantment on a weapon. Enchanting a heavy blade with an Aegis Blade enchant vs a Carnage weapon enchantment, does each different enchantment have a cost? Is this even covered? I'm the DM, and prepared to make this its own thread.

georgie_leech
2016-03-07, 08:16 PM
Q 7

What are the mechanics for learning how to enchant an item? I don't mean the Enchant Item ritual, but applying a specific enchantment on a weapon. Enchanting a heavy blade with an Aegis Blade enchant vs a Carnage weapon enchantment, does each different enchantment have a cost? Is this even covered? I'm the DM, and prepared to make this its own thread.

You may want to just make another thread, as to my knowledge the Enchant Item Ritual is how specific enchantments are applied, with the cost determined by the item's/encahnment's level.

matrix_machine
2016-03-08, 12:14 PM
Q8

For the item: Horn of Revelry, it mentions "Enemies cannot move through a satyr’s space, but allies can.", which makes sense, but it doesn't say anything about enemies being able to target satyrs directly. It seems like they can only target you and hope to miss (which removes 1 satyr). Am I missing something, or can they just not be directly targeted?

georgie_leech
2016-03-08, 12:51 PM
A8

The general rules of Conjuration Powers laid out in PHB, p.220, state that Conjuration generally cannot be attacked or physically affected. Lacking text to the contrary, the satyrs conjured by the Horn of Revelry cannot be attacked.

matrix_machine
2016-03-14, 11:01 AM
Q 9

I'm curious about the interaction between the feat, Mark of Warding, and the Talaric Ironjack class feature Defensive Aura. Defensive Aura provides a +2 power bonus when you hit with an un-augmented at-will psionic attack power. Mark of Warding provides an additional +1 bonus to defense when a power grants that defensive bonus. My question is do they interact?

My reasoning is that, even though Defensive Aura is a class feature, it's bonus is triggered (and applied to) an attack power, and as Mark of Warding provides a bonus when a power applies a defensive bonus (which it seems to technically be doing in this case, although implemented through a class feature), it seems to me that I could be receiving a +3 bonus to defenses when I hit with an un-augmented attack power.

masteraleph
2016-03-14, 11:36 AM
A9: They do not interact. Defensive Aura provides a power bonus but is not a power.

Sol
2016-03-14, 02:30 PM
A9: They do not interact. Defensive Aura provides a power bonus but is not a power.

If Mark of Warding were less fantastic of a feat otherwise, I'd recommend asking your DM if he'd allow it -- as a conditional +1 to defenses is not even a very powerful feat. But the real meat of the feat is enhancing your mark penalty from -2 to -3, and that's already incredibly powerful, before the secondary bonuses are involved.

It's still maybe worth asking, if your DM is often generous with readings -- but Aleph is correct in terms of the rules as they're written.

matrix_machine
2016-03-21, 07:24 PM
Q 10

This question is in regards to the item "giggle gas", the description:
Area burst 1 within 10 (creatures in the burst).
Attack: Item's level + 3 vs. Fortitude.
Hit: The target is dazed and slowed until the start of its next turn.

It seems like this is totally ineffective, as the effect fades when the enemy has a turn. What am I missing here?

matrix_machine
2016-03-21, 07:32 PM
If Mark of Warding were less fantastic of a feat otherwise, I'd recommend asking your DM if he'd allow it -- as a conditional +1 to defenses is not even a very powerful feat. But the real meat of the feat is enhancing your mark penalty from -2 to -3, and that's already incredibly powerful, before the secondary bonuses are involved.

It's still maybe worth asking, if your DM is often generous with readings -- but Aleph is correct in terms of the rules as they're written.

turns out my DM is generous with the readings, but thanks for the literal interpretation

dariathalon
2016-03-21, 07:34 PM
A10

Not completely ineffective, but certainly not nearly as good as if it had a duration until the end of his next turn. The daze causes an enemy to grant CA until his turn starts, so you can use it to set up allies to take advantage of that fact. It can also get in the way if you suspect an enemy has some sort of off-turn movement (like if you think it has readied a charge or has a special power).

matrix_machine
2016-03-21, 07:37 PM
A10

Not completely ineffective, but certainly not nearly as good as if it had a duration until the end of his next turn. The daze causes an enemy to grant CA until his turn starts, so you can use it to set up allies to take advantage of that fact. It can also get in the way if you suspect an enemy has some sort of off-turn movement (like if you think it has readied a charge or has a special power).

Ahhhh, hadn't thought about 'off-turn' effects. Thanks! The slow effect seems weird though, given that 'off-turn' logic.

masteraleph
2016-03-21, 11:29 PM
A10

Nothing; you're totally right and they goofed. No erratas, either, and I checked the magazine to make sure the Compendium didn't have a mistake. It's just ridiculously bad.

ice4cow
2016-03-25, 11:57 AM
Q11

What is the difference of Revenant's Past Soul and Genasi Soul feats? Usually race specific feats tend to be stronger. Am I missing something?

Dimers
2016-03-25, 02:45 PM
A 11

There's no feat called "Genasi Soul", and there's no feat specific for revenant genasi. Clarify your question, please?

As for the non-RAW part of the question, well, revenants have the potent and highly optimizable ability to stay active when other creatures would be bleeding out, and Past Soul feat lets you build a character who has that and something else potent and highly optimizable. And if you're building for flavor rather than optimization, Past Soul can be absolutely central, a "sine qua non" part of the build.

analyst123
2016-03-25, 06:12 PM
Q11

What is the difference of Revenant's Past Soul and Genasi Soul feats? Usually race specific feats tend to be stronger. Am I missing something?

Those feats are basically the same. "Genasi Soul" feat appeared in dragon mag 376 when wotc first introduced revenant... then in hero of shadow, wotc decided to rewrite the racial feats as Past Soul...

masteraleph
2016-03-26, 08:46 PM
It's important to note that the Revenant Genasi feat "Past Soul" does NOT give you the manifestation, only the power.

That's important, because Genasi have several feats that make them incredibly powerful, most prominently Shocking Flame, which gives Genasi the potential to add lightning damage or fire damage to all attacks at level 11 (with the appropriate soul) and both in Epic. Past Soul doesn't give the manifestation, so Shocking Flame doesn't work with it.

TurboGhast
2016-03-27, 10:02 PM
Q12
Does an ability that deals damage, but doesn't have an attack roll (like a Fire Elemental's Seething Fire) trigger effects that punish attacks (like Pacifism, or mark violation).

I would think not, but would like assurance.

ThePurple
2016-03-28, 03:49 AM
Q12
Does an ability that deals damage, but doesn't have an attack roll (like a Fire Elemental's Seething Fire) trigger effects that punish attacks (like Pacifism, or mark violation).

It depends.

Attack is defined explicitly as "An attack roll and its effects, including any damage rolls. The word “attack” is sometimes used as shorthand for “attack power.” Some attack powers include multiple attacks, and some powers, such as magic missile, are designated as attacks yet lack attack rolls (using such a power counts as making an attack if the power has a target)."

By RAW, I believe that Seething Fire wouldn't qualify as an attack because it doesn't have an explicit target (which is the requirement indicated by the magic missile exception) and wouldn't be prevented by Rune of Pacifism or trigger marked retribution effects. Other powers, like magic missile, don't have an attack roll but still qualify as attacks because they have a target.

ice4cow
2016-04-23, 05:27 PM
Q13

How does jumping away from someone works?
As i understand from RAW, opportunity attack resolves when jumping creature lands. But in more extreme cases this doesn't really make sense, as, for example, tri-kreens can easily jump 5 squares. Any ideas to make it better suited?

MwaO
2016-04-23, 05:44 PM
Q13

How does jumping away from someone works?
As i understand from RAW, opportunity attack resolves when jumping creature lands. But in more extreme cases this doesn't really make sense, as, for example, tri-kreens can easily jump 5 squares. Any ideas to make it better suited?

Opportunity attacks happen when someone leaves a square next to you without doing a few specific things. Jumping isn't one of those specific things, so...

masteraleph
2016-05-02, 06:15 PM
Q14

Can Combat Challenge and Opportunity Attacks be used with Dream Walker's Dream Form? (note- I know that the answer to the latter is "no" prior to the printing of Opportunity Attack as an actual power, but it appears that way in the RC).

MwaO
2016-05-03, 08:37 AM
Q14

Can Combat Challenge and Opportunity Attacks be used with Dream Walker's Dream Form? (note- I know that the answer to the latter is "no" prior to the printing of Opportunity Attack as an actual power, but it appears that way in the RC).

You can use powers as if you were there. You are not actually there. i.e. you are not adjacent to the target.

Speaking sadly as someone who played this build (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468864-MwaO-s-in-play-build-compilation&p=6704254&viewfull=1#post6704254) and could have easily swapped out for a couple of obvious choices...

masteraleph
2016-05-04, 08:30 PM
Q15 Does War Wizard of Cormyr's Arcane Fundamentals require a power that has a target line of "one creature" (e.g. Erupting Flare, Phantom Bolt), or can it apply to a power that has a target line like "one or two creatures" (e.g. Arc Lightning, Unraveling Dart)?

MwaO
2016-05-05, 06:58 AM
Q15 Does War Wizard of Cormyr's Arcane Fundamentals require a power that has a target line of "one creature" (e.g. Erupting Flare, Phantom Bolt), or can it apply to a power that has a target line like "one or two creatures" (e.g. Arc Lightning, Unraveling Dart)?

While you can choose to use those powers on one creature, at the time of the selection of the power, it needs to always be just one creature.

masteraleph
2016-05-25, 11:23 AM
Q16: Other than being an Assassin, is there a way to regain a Shadar-Kai's Shadow Jaunt on a per encounter basis?

MwaO
2016-05-25, 11:46 AM
Q16: Other than being an Assassin, is there a way to regain a Shadar-Kai's Shadow Jaunt on a per encounter basis?

Not aware of one off-hand, but Cloak of Transposition will let you do it as a daily.

Yomega
2016-06-02, 08:00 AM
Q17
Is there a magic weapon or ki focus that changes damage types to poison?

In the same way sunblade does for radiant

MwaO
2016-06-02, 08:32 AM
Q17
Is there a magic weapon or ki focus that changes damage types to poison?

In the same way sunblade does for radiant

Spiderkissed and Mordant weapons do that.

Just be aware, having damage be poison creates some issues with immunity to poison, which is reasonably common. Venom Hand Master resolves that. Venom Hand Assassin is a good bonus damage feat if you get that. And Skulker of Vhaeraun is essentially Sarifal Feywalker for Drow poison wielders.

masteraleph
2016-06-02, 10:23 AM
Spiderkissed and Mordant weapons do that.

Just be aware, having damage be poison creates some issues with immunity to poison, which is reasonably common. Venom Hand Master resolves that. Venom Hand Assassin is a good bonus damage feat if you get that. And Skulker of Vhaeraun is essentially Sarifal Feywalker for Drow poison wielders.

Only sort of. It requires Weapon attacks, which is a bit of a drag for a number of characters, particularly actual Assassins.

ThePurple
2016-06-02, 12:14 PM
Only sort of. It requires Weapon attacks, which is a bit of a drag for a number of characters, particularly actual Assassins.

Mordant and Spiderkissed Weapons use the exact same language as Sunblades for their damage modification:

"All damage dealt by this weapon is XXX damage. Another free action returns the damage to normal."

If you're capable of using the weapon as an implement (swordmage multiclass), even your implement attacks would be able to do poison damage since you're still using that weapon (just as an implement).

Also, point of interest about the Mordant Weapon: it doesn't just turn it into poison damage; it turns it into poison and acid damage, making it much more difficult to resist (I can't think of any creature off of the top of my head that resists both of those damage types simultaneously, which would make it effectively unresisted). I'm not entirely sure how that would interact with immunity though, since I could only find the rules for combined damage types interacting with resistance. My gut instinct would be to act as if immunity is simply infinite resistance such that only a creature immune to both acid and poison damage is immune to combined acid and poison damage, but that might not be the case.

MwaO
2016-06-02, 12:30 PM
Mordant and Spiderkissed Weapons use the exact same language as Sunblades for their damage modification:

"All damage dealt by this weapon is XXX damage. Another free action returns the damage to normal."

If you're capable of using the weapon as an implement (swordmage multiclass), even your implement attacks would be able to do poison damage since you're still using that weapon (just as an implement).

The issue is Skulker of Vhaeraun - its special ability only works on weapon attacks. But it also isn't limited to a 2 square aura - works at range with a Spiderkissed Dagger as an example. When the damage bonus gets high enough, the extra +1 to hit from +3 proficiency often makes up for the low die size...

ThePurple
2016-06-02, 04:26 PM
The issue is Skulker of Vhaeraun - its special ability only works on weapon attacks.

I was responding to the issue of poison immunity, however. If you use a Mordant Weapon, because it's giving you combined poison and acid damage on all of your weapon attacks (if you take Heart of the Blade, also your implement attacks), the issue of poison immunity being so common is irrelevant because poison immunity isn't, as far as I know, ever paired with acid resistance or immunity. You don't need to worry about stuff being immune to poison if you are also hitting things with acid.

The only time you'll have problems is in cases where you're specifically adding poison damage rather than bonus damage to poison attacks, but I wasn't aware that the questioner ever mentioned that.

masteraleph
2016-06-02, 07:53 PM
Q18 Does anyone know whether an official ruling on the Familiar Mount ritual was every made- specifically whether it works like a Shaman's Spirit Companion, or whether it's 5 + 1/2 level damage over the course of its being a mount? I know that the Mount guide says (based on CustServ) that it's the latter, and the Familiar guide that it's the former.

Q19 Similarly, anyone know if an official ruling was ever made about the familiar wearing a Mount item?

Q20 Ignoring both of the above, is there any reasonable way for a generic (non-Beastmaster) Medium-sized PC to get a mount that scales with level?

Devigor
2016-06-20, 02:14 PM
Q21

A warlock that has Pact Blade Manifestation uses his implement (held in one hand) to create his pact weapon (in the other hand). If such a warlock took Arcane Implement Proficiency: Heavy Blade and wielded a bastard sword as an implement... Would the pact blade be wielded as a one-handed weapon in the off-hand? It seems unclear whether it would be an exception to the general rule (like the ranger two-blade style) or if it would simply be illegal.

masteraleph
2016-06-20, 02:55 PM
A21

It's a little bit fuzzy because of the dual keywords on Hexblade powers (which is really what you're talking about, right?), but the answer would be that you are "holding" your implement (i.e. your bastard sword) in one hand and "wielding" your Pact Weapon (whatever the appropriate variety is) in your other hand. But if you had a Weapon power that attacked with separate attacks from both hands, it would be a problem.

Devigor
2016-06-20, 05:18 PM
A21

It's a little bit fuzzy because of the dual keywords on Hexblade powers (which is really what you're talking about, right?), but the answer would be that you are "holding" your implement (i.e. your bastard sword) in one hand and "wielding" your Pact Weapon (whatever the appropriate variety is) in your other hand. But if you had a Weapon power that attacked with separate attacks from both hands, it would be a problem.

Actually, I was asking because of a half-elf warlock with pact blade manifestation grabbing twin strike. I don't think it will work, but I'm curious if my player would be allowed to do this without me using fiat.

Q22

A revenant bard with multiple multiclass feats takes the Remembered Knack feat... What happens, exactly?

tiornys
2016-06-20, 05:34 PM
Q22

A revenant bard with multiple multiclass feats takes the Remembered Knack feat... What happens, exactly?

A22

Pick one of your multiclass feats. The Remembered Knack feat gives you an additional skill from the class associated with that multiclass feat, and the extra +2 bonus applies to the skill granted by that multiclass feat. It's worth noting that a similar scenario can easily occur even without being a Bard, since you can take multiple multiclass feats from the same class.

ThePurple
2016-06-20, 07:01 PM
Would the pact blade be wielded as a one-handed weapon in the off-hand?

No. In much the same way that you can wield a staff implement in one hand but treat a quarterstaff weapon as a two handed weapon, you wouldn't be able to use a bastard sword implement in your off-hand as if it had the off-hand keyword. In such a case, the character would be carrying their bastard sword in their off-hand, using it as an implement but incapable of using it as a weapon.

masteraleph
2016-06-20, 07:02 PM
A21 revised

Also, I don't believe that the feat Pact Blade Manifestation exists anymore. IIRC it was in the original Hybrid and Multiclass Options article for Dragon #400, and eventually got cut for the compiled version precisely because it allowed you all the cool Hexblade stuff without actually being a Hexblade.

Devigor
2016-06-20, 07:39 PM
Thanks to each of you for the clarity.

That actually means my player and I need to re-hash his paragon character to be legal; he's had that manifestation thing for a while.

masteraleph
2016-06-20, 08:12 PM
I mean, if you think it works fine, just leave it. It's not incredibly overpowered, unless the player really takes it into their mind to abuse it.

Draculstar
2016-06-20, 10:49 PM
Speaking of Revenants...

Q#22

There is, or was, a feat that caused damage to attackers that knocked you below 0 HP. I don't remember what tier it was, but I thought you had to be a revenant to take it (though I may be completely wrong). I've been looking through books and haven't found it, so I suspect it's in old Dragon Magazine stuff (I can't check the compendium since WotC ended that stuff).

Does anyone know what the name of the feat (or similar one) is?

Tegu8788
2016-06-20, 11:09 PM
A 22

It's not gone, just hidden here (http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/mobile/mobile.aspx).

Dimers
2016-06-20, 11:33 PM
A22 continued

Stormhawk's Vengeance from HotFK is probably the one you're thinking of. It's not revenant-specific but it's of more use to them because they're more willing to get down that far in hit points.

Yomega
2016-06-22, 04:27 PM
<b>Q23</b>

Is there any way to increase the distance you can shift with a power that states how many squares you shift?

Specificaly the Rouge utility 6 that states: until the stance ends you can shift 2 squares as a minor action.

I would like to be able to shift 3 or more squares to use cursed shadow as a minor action.

ThePurple
2016-06-22, 05:19 PM
Is there any way to increase the distance you can shift with a power that states how many squares you shift?

As far as I know, there are only a few ways to globally increase all shift distances. My personal favorite is Great Cat Armor (hide armor; Property: When you shift, you can shift 1 additional square."), but there is also the Long Step feat (epic feat; exact same effect as Great Cat Armor). Since you're a rogue, there's also Risky Shift (same as the others, but, if you do shift the additional square, you grant CA until SoNT).

It wouldn't surprise me if there are some others, but those are the ones that I immediately recalled.

georgie_leech
2016-06-26, 03:52 PM
Q24

When a Half-elf uses an implement power through the Dilettante racial feature, can any implement they have proficiency in be used to gain Enhancement bonuses, or do you need an implement from the appropriate class?

Context, making a Half-elf Paladin and have my eye on Vicious Mockery, and I'm completely failing my Perception check on whether I can use my Holy Symbol to cast it or if I need a Wand to get those mostly mandatory +X's from magic implements.

ThePurple
2016-06-26, 04:20 PM
When a Half-elf uses an implement power through the Dilettante racial feature, can any implement they have proficiency in be used to gain Enhancement bonuses, or do you need an implement from the appropriate class?

There was some bit of errata at some point that stated that you can use any implement in which you are proficient for any implement power, regardless of what class it comes from. As such, if you're proficient in the use of holy symbols, you can use a holy symbol as your implement for a wizard power, monk power, or what have you.

Tegu8788
2016-06-30, 01:47 PM
Q 25

So Shardmind's and others can have a short ranged telepathy. If you had two shardmind, and their burst 5 overlapped, would that be enough to let them thoughts? Or could a single PC in both bursts act as a relay?

ThePurple
2016-06-30, 03:22 PM
Q 25

So Shardmind's and others can have a short ranged telepathy. If you had two shardmind, and their burst 5 overlapped, would that be enough to let them thoughts? Or could a single PC in both bursts act as a relay?

A 25

The Rules Compendium states that telepathy requires the target creature (that you're "speaking" to) be within range and within line of effect. As such, two shardminds with overlapping telepathy range would not be able to communicate with each other, but, if there was a willing individual in both of their auras, it could act as a relay, communicating with both of them (it wouldn't automatically relay however; the relay character would have to make a conscious effort to do, repeating each message every time, like a translator).

Tegu8788
2016-07-02, 10:19 PM
Awesome, that's what I thought. I've got a batch of total noobs, never played any PnP before, so I'm getting some fun questions. Another of which is...

Q 26

My Witch get's an arcane familiar, and i instantly thought of the Rakshasa Claw. But it's not showing up in the builder. It's from the same book as the Disembodied Hand, so I can't see why it's not in the builder. Is it some manner of advanced familiar, or is another feat required to pick it up?

tiornys
2016-07-02, 11:40 PM
Q 26

My Witch get's an arcane familiar, and i instantly thought of the Rakshasa Claw. But it's not showing up in the builder. It's from the same book as the Disembodied Hand, so I can't see why it's not in the builder. Is it some manner of advanced familiar, or is another feat required to pick it up?
A 26
Has your Witch reached 11th level? Rakshasa Claw is a paragon tier familiar and won't be available to a character of level 10 or lower.

Tegu8788
2016-07-02, 11:56 PM
Not even close. That explains it.

MwaO
2016-07-04, 02:27 PM
Not even close. That explains it.

I'd just point out that the builder is also sometimes a little weird about Paragon Tier familiars when the PC got the Arcane Familiar option in Heroic. It might not come up even then. Just a heads up...

ThePurple
2016-07-19, 07:06 PM
Q 27

I was reading up on the Ardent Champion PP that a player just took and was reading the entry for Fanatical Flurry. For target, it reads "Your oath of enmity target and each enemy in the burst" which seems strange when you consider that you can only use Oath of Enmity on a enemy (as such, it is guaranteed to be an enemy). The fact that the OoE target is singled out in the target entry makes me think that there was supposed to be something special about it, like attacking your OoE target even if it's not in the burst (e.g. targets your OoE target no matter where it may be and also targets everything in the burst), but by strictest interpretation, it would only attack targets in the burst (which means that singling out OoE is redundant).

Can anyone shine some light on this? I'm fine if it's just bad wording and does absolutely nothing special where your OoE target is concerned, but I've just got a funny feeling I'm missing something.

Dimers
2016-07-19, 08:37 PM
Not a formal answer, because someone may come up with something authoritative, but ... The question is whether to read it as "[your oath of enmity target and each enemy] in the burst" or "your oath of enmity target and [each enemy in the burst]". WotC did not supply a semantic rule that would give a clear answer, nor did they see fit to address it while making a different update to the PP. I'm inclined to say the former is intended, since there are more powers that specify odd combinations within a burst than those that target a burst plus something outside it. But I'm also inclined to be generous to avengers, especially those taking PPs with encounter attacks that can never trigger Oath Of Enmity double-rolling. Since avengers do have access to powers that project their authority beyond the reach of their blade, it doesn't mangle verisimilitude to allow the broader interpretation.

Kurald Galain
2016-07-20, 04:39 AM
A 27 The area of the power is "close burst 2", so it affects that close burst (and not the burst and somebody standing outside of it). The wording is kind of awkward, but what they actually meant was that you must place the close burst so that it includes your oath of enmity target.

garrnk
2016-08-07, 06:56 PM
its been awhile since i played D&D finally found a group but i feel rusty. i have a few questions in this campaign I created a level 1 half-orc barbarian. when i play with this GM every human elf gnome dwarf hates me like i am kill on sight is this normal?

also he told me barbarians cant use any magical weapons if i pick up one it will break i dont rember reading that in the 4th edition rules. can anyone help?

tiornys
2016-08-07, 07:33 PM
its been awhile since i played D&D finally found a group but i feel rusty. i have a few questions in this campaign I created a level 1 half-orc barbarian. when i play with this GM every human elf gnome dwarf hates me like i am kill on sight is this normal?
Not for 4th edition. The default setting for 4E might see you getting the occasional side-eye or poor treatment, but it certainly wouldn't have entire races reacting violently to your presence. If your DM is running 4E and he intended to run his world this way, I would have expected him to warn you that you'd be facing severe social ramifications at character building.

also he told me barbarians cant use any magical weapons if i pick up one it will break i dont rember reading that in the 4th edition rules. can anyone help?
There is no rule like this in 4th edition.

With that said, are you sure that you're using 4th edition? I think some earlier editions of D&D did have rules restricting barbarians from using magic weapons, and if you're in an earlier edition you'll get better answers on the appropriate board.

garrnk
2016-08-07, 07:48 PM
i know he used to play 3rd edition and 2nd in previous games but hes playing 4th edititon now. i read the shifty eye thing and thats what i was expecting not outright KoS.

i think its 4th edition. i got one daily rage power 1 encounter ability and 2 at will attacks does that sound like 4th edition?

garrnk
2016-08-07, 07:54 PM
i know he used to play 3rd edition and 2nd in previous games but hes playing 4th edititon now. i read the shifty eye thing and thats what i was expecting not outright KoS.

i think its 4th edition. i got one daily rage power 1 encounter ability and 2 at will attacks does that sound like 4th edition?

ThePurple
2016-08-07, 07:54 PM

That's 4e. If your GM is going to disallow you from using magic weapons, though, your GM is setting you up for failure since 4e is balanced very heavily around players having magic items (big 3 slots, at the very least).

garrnk
2016-08-07, 08:03 PM
thats what i am afraid of any recomendations of talking to him about it without throwing the rule book rudely in his face?

tiornys
2016-08-08, 04:22 AM
thats what i am afraid of any recomendations of talking to him about it without throwing the rule book rudely in his face?
Probably best to make a separate thread at this point. Recommendations for talking to a DM is straying very far from the Rules Q&A that this thread is for.

Devigor
2016-08-10, 12:08 PM
Q29 (The 28th wasn't numbered)

Hypothesis: If you roll a critical hit with a vorpal weapon under the effect of the Righteous Rage of Tempus channel divinity power, no damage dice are re-rolled.

Question: True or False?

MwaO
2016-08-10, 12:47 PM
A29: You didn't actually roll the dice, you just automatically got the maximum. So correct, no additional rolls.

Rusty Spoon
2016-08-15, 10:54 PM
Q 30

Re: Opportunity Attacks - everyone gets them, right? My DM is of the opinion that your character must have an explicit opportunity action power even to make a generic opportunity attack, which seems... off.

ThePurple
2016-08-15, 11:37 PM
A30

Everyone *does* have a power that's an opportunity action power. It's called "Opportunity Attack". It's an opportunity power that is triggered by an enemy willing leaving a square adjacent to you without shifting. The effect is that it allows you to make a melee basic attack against the triggering enemy.

It's one of the basic "powers" that everyone gets access to without having it actually put on a power card: Bull Rush, Charge, Coup De Grace, Crawl, Delay, Escape, Grab, Ready, Run, Second Wind, Shift, Squeeze, Stand Up, Total Defense, and Walk.

By your GM's interpretation, a player wouldn't be able to shift if they didn't have an explicitly written power that included shifting in the effect or grab a target if they didn't have a power that allowed them to grab.

MeeposFire
2016-08-16, 12:53 AM

IN terms of the RAW he could be using (or you could tell him to use) the inherent bonus found in the DMG2 and the Dar Sun campaign setting. Effectively they give you a bonus to hit/damage/crits/defenses just like magical armor/weapons/and accessories do but without any magic items to be found. It allows you to keep up with the basic math of the game without actually being forced to use items. If you do get an item on that system then the bonuses would overlap and not stack (if your inherent bonus was at +1 and you geta +2 sword then you get the +2 bonus not +3).

THis would be a good way to go for the flavor without losing your basic effectiveness.

Rui
2016-08-17, 11:03 AM
Q31

The paladin in our party marked a sea kraken. One of the kraken's abilities reads so:
"The kraken uses crushing tentacles twice and devourer of ships once".

Obviously, crushing tentacles is it's main attack. My question is, if one crushing tentacles targeted the paladin and another one targeted someone else, should is be considered as the kraken made an attack without including the paladin within it's targets, thus "breaking" the mark and suffers damage?

Thanks ahead :smallsmile:

ThePurple
2016-08-17, 11:37 AM
My question is, if one crushing tentacles targeted the paladin and another one targeted someone else, should is be considered as the kraken made an attack without including the paladin within it's targets, thus "breaking" the mark and suffers damage?

A31-ish

Not sure if there's specific errata on it, but I've always interpreted the marked condition to trigger based upon the entire action. As such, with a power that states "Effect: Make two basic attacks against different creatures", if at least one of those basic attacks is against the individual that has it marked, the marked condition doesn't trigger. Otherwise effects like "Effect: Make a basic attack against every creature within reach" which is effectively a close burst, would trigger the marked condition, which doesn't really make sense to me.

masteraleph
2016-08-17, 05:16 PM
Q31

The paladin in our party marked a sea kraken. One of the kraken's abilities reads so:
"The kraken uses crushing tentacles twice and devourer of ships once".

Obviously, crushing tentacles is it's main attack. My question is, if one crushing tentacles targeted the paladin and another one targeted someone else, should is be considered as the kraken made an attack without including the paladin within it's targets, thus "breaking" the mark and suffers damage?

Thanks ahead :smallsmile:

A31: It does break the mark. They're separate attacks by definition, and even a melee or ranged attack with 2 or more target breaks the mark (see PHB 270 under melee and ranged attacks).

Kurald Galain
2016-08-17, 07:50 PM
A31 The paladin mark triggers if "it targets any of your allies with an attack power that doesn't include you as a target". It's important to note that this looks at the power, not at an individual attack roll.

The kraken's combo attack (crush twice, devour once) is a single attack power. This is because it has the attack symbol on its statblock. Since the kraken does target the paladin with its combo power, this does not trigger the mark.

masteraleph
2016-08-17, 08:05 PM
A31 The paladin mark triggers if "it targets any of your allies with an attack power that doesn't include you as a target". It's important to note that this looks at the power, not at an individual attack roll.

The kraken's combo attack (crush twice, devour once) is a single attack power. This is because it has the attack symbol on its statblock. Since the kraken does target the paladin with its combo power, this does not trigger the mark.

I'd disagree with that- I'd say it's one power that lets the monster use three other powers without spending actions. Each of those is resolved individually.

tiornys
2016-08-17, 10:55 PM
A31
I believe this is ambiguous within the rules as written and can be interpreted either way. For my reasoning, see the above exchange. More succinctly, the game is not clear about the exact mechanics of powers calling other powers, so it leaves room for interpretation when this happens.

MwaO
2016-08-18, 11:01 AM
A31: Yeah, one of the issues of 4e is that R&D defined Attack to mean 4 things:
Attack roll
Attack power
The act of actually making an attack
Secondary/Tertiary Attack lines are individual attacks

And the problem with that is you often get into weird, "Wait, what did they mean again?" issues such as this one.

My general rule of thumb is that every time a marked opponent has a choice of who they might attack, if they're not as part of that choice attacking the Defender, they violate the mark.

And I'd treat the Kraken's power as 3 separate instances on that basis.

Dimers
2016-08-18, 07:52 PM

While the combo attack is a single attack power, it is not one that targets the paladin. Only the sub-attacks have targets. Each of those is also an attack power, and the second crushing tentacles is an attack power that doesn't target the paladin. So it triggers divine challenge.

ZickZak
2016-08-26, 06:12 PM
How do multiple hits with the same power work with vulnerabilities?
Such as hitting the same vulnerable target twice with both instances of Static Charge or Chromatic Orb?

Does the vulnerability count for each attack or only once per power?

ThePurple
2016-08-26, 09:53 PM
How do multiple hits with the same power work with vulnerabilities?
Such as hitting the same vulnerable target twice with both instances of Static Charge or Chromatic Orb?

Does the vulnerability count for each attack or only once per power?

A32

As written, it counts per attack, just like bonuses (technically, vuln applies per application of damage; each attack is a separate application of damage; it's just like resistance). I'm not sure how you're getting multiple attacks out of Chromatic Orb, however, since it's a single ranged attack. I believe that Static Charge would double dip on lightning vulnerability if you hit two targets adjacent to each other (1d8 to target and CHA to adjacent; 1d8 to adjacent and CHA to target; 4 total applications of damage), though I could see the argument that it wouldn't because it's a single attack.

ZickZak
2016-08-27, 03:27 AM
A32
I'm not sure how you're getting multiple attacks out of Chromatic Orb, however, since it's a single ranged attack...I could see the argument that it wouldn't because it's a single attack.
You hit a creature and then one creature within 5 squares from the target. You can hit the same target, so its CON damage only, but then it pops the vulnerability.

Rusty Spoon
2016-08-27, 07:47 PM
Q 33: Does the Street Thug feat allow rogues to sneak attack with the specific weapon named mace, or any weapon of the mace group?

ThePurple
2016-08-27, 10:44 PM
You hit a creature and then one creature within 5 squares from the target. You can hit the same target, so its CON damage only, but then it pops the vulnerability.

You're talking about Chromatic Bolt, not Chromatic Orb. And I'm pretty sure that "one creature within 5 squares of the target" doesn't include the target. At least that's how I've always interpreted it in my games.

ThePurple
2016-08-27, 10:47 PM
Q 32: Does the Street Thug feat allow rogues to sneak attack with the specific weapon named mace, or any weapon of the mace group?

This should be Q33; Q32 wasn't labelled but still existed.

A33

It only allows rogues to make sneak attacks with the specific mace weapon. If it were applied to the entire group, it would probably have the "with one hand" modifier, like Tunnel Stalker.

masteraleph
2016-08-27, 11:12 PM
You're talking about Chromatic Bolt, not Chromatic Orb. And I'm pretty sure that "one creature within 5 squares of the target" doesn't include the target. At least that's how I've always interpreted it in my games.

RAW I'd say that's wrong- they're a creature and within 5 squares of themselves (adjacent is a bigger question).

Einrikr
2016-08-28, 11:13 AM
Does a frost weapon also convert the damage from malec-keth janissary lv 16 feature?

masteraleph
2016-08-28, 01:10 PM
Does a frost weapon also convert the damage from malec-keth janissary lv 16 feature?

Yes. If your attacks are weapon attacks and otherwise untyped, Frost Brand might be an alternative enchantment that would work, though it is a Rare.

ZickZak
2016-08-29, 06:13 AM

Oops, yes. Chromatic Bolt.
I have asked WotC a few years ago and they said you can hit the target twice, with both instances of the power.
I didnt ask if it triggers vulnerabilities though and now they dont support 4e anymore.

masteraleph
2016-08-29, 09:50 AM
Oops, yes. Chromatic Bolt.
I have asked WotC a few years ago and they said you can hit the target twice, with both instances of the power.
I didnt ask if it triggers vulnerabilities though and now they dont support 4e anymore.

As noted above- yes, RAW it can damage the target twice (compare to other powers that add "other than the target" to such language, and note that it came out in Heroes of the Elemental Chaos, which was released in 2012 and was one of the last books, so they should have added that language if they wanted it). And yes, it does ping vulnerabilities twice. And no, it's still not as good as Hellish Rebuke if you have a way to damage yourself or reasonably expect to take damage.

Nivrap
2016-09-16, 11:11 PM
Q35: How does Channel Divinity: Turn Undead work with the errata given in the rules update? All the update says is:
"Page 62: This power’s damage now increases at levels 11 and 21. The area increases to close burst 3 at level 11 and close burst 5 at level 21."
However, it does not say what the damage increases to, nor does it give an example block.

Gilphon
2016-09-17, 12:58 PM
A35: The damage increases to 2d10+WIS at L11, and 3d10+WIS at L21. Aside from that and the burst increasing thing you already know about, it's as printed.

Dimers
2016-10-13, 10:21 PM
Q 36

What's the meaning of "Melee 1" in the targeting section of the janissary charge power?

ThePurple
2016-10-14, 03:26 AM
A 36

It's a typo. The range should actually be Personal since it only affects you and the power it allows you to use already has a range.

Natolaw
2016-10-15, 07:36 AM
Q37: In the Martial Power 2 handbook the fighter power Reaper's Hook says this:

If the target moves before the end of your next turn, it takes extra damage

equal to your Constitution modifier. Weapon: If you're wielding an axe or a pick, you can shift 1

square after the attack. You pull the target to the square you vacated.

Therfore, If i have the weapon required to pull the target, does he take the extra con dmg right away or need to use his move action for it to apply it?

dariathalon
2016-10-15, 08:34 AM
A37 The extra damage applies immediately when the hit target moves, no matter what weapon you are using.

If you happen to hit with one of the special weapons for this attack, you get to shift 1 and slide the enemy right when you make the attack (this does not require a move action on your part). Your shift and slide does not require the target to move and take the extra damage (they wouldn't have had a chance to, because this part of the power only applies immediately after hitting). If you shift and slide them, and they, before the end of your next turn, move from the square that you slid them to, they will take the damage as described above.

I'll agree the wording on this power might be a little odd, but I believe the reading I describe above is consistent with the way other powers with similar wording work.

MwaO
2016-10-15, 11:38 AM
A37 The extra damage applies immediately when the hit target moves, no matter what weapon you are using.

Right. Just be aware that extra damage doesn't typically have any bonuses attached to it except possibly vulnerability

Dimers
2016-10-15, 11:23 PM
Really? Last I heard, "move" included any instance of exiting a square to enter another, so the pull should trigger the bonus damage in that power. Not so?

MwaO
2016-10-16, 05:22 PM
Really? Last I heard, "move" included any instance of exiting a square to enter another, so the pull should trigger the bonus damage in that power. Not so?

Extra Damage does not get to add bonus damage typically. As an example, I have +10 bonus to damage and I get +4 of Extra Damage due to my 18 Con - I do +4 damage.

But if I'm using a Frost Weapon and have Lasting Frost, I probably established 5 vulnerability to cold and the extra damage is cold - so 5 points of vulnerability damage on top of it for a total of 9.

ThePurple
2016-10-16, 06:43 PM
Extra Damage does not get to add bonus damage typically.

To elaborate, it all comes down to the specific wording.

A vast majority of increases to damage come in the forms of "(some type) bonus to damage rolls" (power bonuses are the most common), which only apply to occasions when there is a roll involved in determining the amount of damage dealt. There are also a lot of forms of additional elemental damage (Art1 Burning Weapons and similar powers) that provide a buff that has you "deal additional (type) damage when you hit", which only applies when you actually make an attack roll and hit (and generally require a specific source for the attack, like a melee or weapon attack).

Pretty much the only source of additional damage that you're going to get that doesn't care about the source of the damage is vulnerability, which applies to any source of that specific type of damage regardless of whether it was flat damage or variable damage, an effect or a hit, attack/action or trait.

Dimers
2016-10-16, 08:42 PM
What I (and I think Natolaw too) was asking is, does the slide count as "move" for purposes of triggering that extra damage? Dariathlon said No, but I've seen similar situations where the answer was Yes ... stuff like sliding someone in and out of a damaging zone.

dariathalon
2016-10-16, 10:06 PM
That is not how I interpreted the OP's question. He was talking about taking the shift and slide on the next turn and dealing the extra damage at that point.

I can see an argument for being able to claim the damage when you slide them. Since all of these are interactions within the same power, order becomes important. And because one of the effects only happens when wielding a particular weapon, the order it was written in got all screwed up. If a DM said that they wanted the slide to trigger the extra damage, I'd be fine with it. But I feel that my post better aligns with the intent of the power. Yes, I know this isn't the place to bring up intent, but I think if either reading is equally valid (which I think they are) then intent can be considered.

Dimers
2016-10-16, 11:33 PM
That is not how I interpreted the OP's question ... Since all of these are interactions within the same power, order becomes important. And because one of the effects only happens when wielding a particular weapon, the order it was written in got all screwed up.

Ahh, gotcha, makes sense. :smallsmile:

MwaO
2016-10-17, 09:46 AM
What I (and I think Natolaw too) was asking is, does the slide count as "move" for purposes of triggering that extra damage? Dariathlon said No, but I've seen similar situations where the answer was Yes ... stuff like sliding someone in and out of a damaging zone.

Slide/Push/Pull are all forced movement and count as moving. With the specific exception of Opportunity Attacks.

Powers that say 'Take damage on a move' do damage as a result of a Slide/Push/Pull that meets those options. Which tends to have some issues due to how many times one might get moved per turn/round.

So the most modern 4e powers tend to have 'maximum of 1/turn' kind of language to prevent abuse/for clarity...

The Ship's dog
2016-10-17, 11:07 PM
Q 38

As a Vampire, you automatically get the at-will power at level one. It has a special effect saying that you can use it as a melee basic attack. I am pretty sure this means that you can use it for opportunity attacks as well as add the damage of the thing that you are using to make the attack with (e.g. fists, rapier etc.)

What I am confused by, is that some of the other Vampire attacks say that you
"Make a brutal attack" (Feral assault) or say something along the lines of 'your hunger/shadow powers give you strength and you lash out at your enemies'

Because these are obviously physical attacks, do you add the damage of your weapon (or at the very least, your fists) onto the damage of the power?

Tegu8788
2016-10-17, 11:48 PM
A 38

Ok, you see that part at the top of the power in italics. Ignore it, and never read it again. The bolded words are the important ones. If a power says you deal [W] damage, that's whatever weapon you are using.

Any power that counts as a Melee Basic Attack, or MBA, can be used for OAs, and like all powers, if it has the [W], then you add your [W]eapon die to it.

The Ship's dog
2016-10-18, 12:12 AM
A 38

Ok, you see that part at the top of the power in italics. Ignore it, and never read it again. The bolded words are the important ones. If a power says you deal [W] damage, that's whatever weapon you are using.

Any power that counts as a Melee Basic Attack, or MBA, can be used for OAs, and like all powers, if it has the [W], then you add your [W]eapon die to it.

Okay thanks, I was wondering about whether the flavour text matters or not, I didnt think it was but I was asked by my friend and I was wondering myself.

Sol
2016-10-18, 11:55 AM
A 38B

Tegu answered your main question correctly, but I am worried about this bolded bit in your question:

As a Vampire, you automatically get the at-will power at level one. It has a special effect saying that you can use it as a melee basic attack. I am pretty sure this means that you can use it for opportunity attacks as well as add the damage of the thing that you are using to make the attack with (e.g. fists, rapier etc.)

Vampire Slam is an implement attack which deals 1d10+dex modifier damage, even if you use it as a melee basic attack.

Since it lacks the weapon keyword, you cannot use a weapon to make this attack, unless you can use that weapon as an implement. Please note that this does not mean that you can't describe the attack as coming from a weapon.

Since it lacks a [W] placeholder, you cannot use your weapon's damage die as part of the damage roll of this attack, even if you are using a weapon as the implement for this power.

The Ship's dog
2016-10-23, 09:54 PM
Q 39

So I have another question.

In the description of the feats 'two-weapon fighting' and 'two-weapon defence', their effects say that you need to be holding a weapon in each hand. For abilities that do not have the [W] marking but can still be used basic attacks, I am pretty sure that you still apply these feat bonuses even though you do not need to wield a weapon to use these abilities.

Am I wrong? Or is there some nuance in that RAI for some reason do apply here that I'm overlooking?

Verbannon
2016-10-23, 10:45 PM
Q 39

So I have another question.

In the description of the feats 'two-weapon fighting' and 'two-weapon defence', their effects say that you need to be holding a weapon in each hand. For abilities that do not have the [W] marking but can still be used basic attacks, I am pretty sure that you still apply these feat bonuses even though you do not need to wield a weapon to use these abilities.

Am I wrong? Or is there some nuance in that RAI for some reason do apply here that I'm overlooking?

Benefit: While wielding a melee weapon in each hand, you gain a +1 bonus to the damage rolls of weapon attacks that you make with a melee weapon.

You have to hit the enemy with the melee weapon to get the bonus according to the feat. So it will only work with powers with the weapon keywords as those are the only ones in which you are actually hitting the enemy with your melee weapon.

The Ship's dog
2016-10-23, 11:36 PM
Benefit: While wielding a melee weapon in each hand, you gain a +1 bonus to the damage rolls of weapon attacks that you make with a melee weapon.

You have to hit the enemy with the melee weapon to get the bonus according to the feat. So it will only work with powers with the weapon keywords as those are the only ones in which you are actually hitting the enemy with your melee weapon.

Ok thanks, I didn't see that last part. Sorry for asking a stupid question.

skelekon
2016-11-13, 03:23 AM
Q40: Do ammunition using weapons require or use ammunition when used as an implement with an implement power? (Eg Bard casting Staggering Note with a Songbow.)

Edit: The only relevant reference I can find is from RC p.105:
"If a creature uses a projectile weapon to use an attack power against multiple targets, the creature needs one piece of ammunition for each target."

ThePurple
2016-11-13, 04:03 AM
Q40: Do ammunition using weapons require or use ammunition when used as an implement with an implement power? (Eg Bard casting Staggering Note with a Songbow.)

No. When used as an implement, they are treated as an implement, not a weapon. As such, they do not consume or require ammunition.

Devigor
2016-11-23, 12:57 AM
Q41

The party ranger is attacked with a melee attack. The party Battlemind uses Lightning Rush, an immediate interrupt, to change the target of the power to himself upon attacking the target with the power. Is the melee attack the attacker tried to make against the ranger still eligible as a prerequisite for the ranger to use Fox's Cunning, an immediate reaction, as the ranger was the original target and the trigger for Lightning Rush specifies "an enemy makes an attack against an ally"? Or is the ranger no longer able to use Fox's Cunning after the attack, because it is no longer the target due to an Interrupt, and Interrupts prelude Reactions?

georgie_leech
2016-11-23, 02:23 AM
A41

You are correct. Immediate Reactions are taken after the trigger resolves, and the trigger in this case does not resolve as a valid trigger for Fox's Cunning.

CptPinkamena
2016-11-27, 04:54 PM
Q42: Can actions be "downgraded" in a similar manner to being able to use a Standard action to "take" another Move action?

Example 1: A player uses their Standard Action to cast another Minor power (or to sustain a Minor power).

Example 2: A player uses their Move Action to draw a weapon.

Could I cast (or sustain) three minor powers in any given round by turning Standard/Move into minor actions, and is there RAW justification for this, which book should I cite in explaining to my DM?

ThePurple
2016-11-27, 09:57 PM
Q42: Can actions be "downgraded" in a similar manner to being able to use a Standard action to "take" another Move action?

A42. Yes. On page 268 of the Player's Handbook, there is a sidebar titled "Substituting Actions" that explains it and provides all of the potential combinations, to boot. There's even a few rules, like "Double Move", that are contingent on you understanding this.

Draculstar
2016-11-29, 05:59 PM
Q43

When Meliorating Plate Armor +1 increases its enhancement bonus to +2 because of the milestone property of the item, does that increase the base AC from +8 to +9 accordingly?

The changes to how masterwork armor works makes it unclear to me, since now regular plate armor gives higher AC at higher enhancement bonuses.

Dimers
2016-11-29, 06:57 PM
A 43

Q43

When Meliorating Plate Armor +1 increases its enhancement bonus to +2 because of the milestone property of the item, does that increase the base AC from +8 to +9 accordingly?

The changes to how masterwork armor works makes it unclear to me, since now regular plate armor gives higher AC at higher enhancement bonuses.

An interesting thought, but no. The better armor must be crafted as such to get the bonus.

Anyone else ever found it odd that adventurers of levels 15 to 20 suddenly find only feyweave, feyleather, darkhide, forgemail, wyrmscale and warplate, never lesser or greater types? :smalltongue:

georgie_leech
2016-11-29, 07:01 PM
A 43

An interesting thought, but no. The better armor must be crafted as such to get the bonus.

Anyone else ever found it odd that adventurers of levels 15 to 20 suddenly find only feyweave, feyleather, darkhide, forgemail, wyrmscale and warplate, never lesser or greater types? :smalltongue:

No more weird than finding only certain ranges of enhancement bonuses. I always thought of it as needing a certain amount of masterwork...ness, to put the higher enhancement bonuses on. And that the difficulty and cost of making said masterwork armors means no one bothers to make the fancier set just to put a worse enhancement bonus on it.

The Ship's dog
2016-12-01, 01:55 AM
Q 44

Sorry if this is boring but this is more of a seeking of confirmation rather than a question.

In PHB 1 it says that, when you wear light armour, you may add either your dexterity or intelligence modifier onto your AC. Because Ring Mail qualifies as light armor, do you still add either you dexterity or intelligence modifier onto your AC when using it?

ThePurple
2016-12-01, 06:45 AM
Because Ring Mail qualifies as light armor, do you still add either you dexterity or intelligence modifier onto your AC when using it?

A44 Yes, it's light armor. If it didn't allow you to add an ability modifier, it would be absolutely laughable (it requires hide or chain mail prof and costs a feat on top of that). Ring Mail is simply hide armor that reduces the first damage against you each encounter by 2.

masteraleph
2016-12-01, 10:56 AM
A44 Yes, it's light armor. If it didn't allow you to add an ability modifier, it would be absolutely laughable (it requires hide or chain mail prof and costs a feat on top of that). Ring Mail is simply hide armor that reduces the first damage against you each encounter by 2.

It's also Hide Armor that takes Chain enchantments. In particular, people like to use it for INT based characters that grant attacks, like Warlords or potentially Bards, with the Tactician's Armor enchantment.

The Ship's dog
2016-12-01, 07:38 PM
Thanks both of you. I was pretty sure that you could add your ability mod to it but I didn't know about the chain enchantments.

Draculstar
2016-12-02, 04:56 AM
Q45

How does the damage for Raging Tempest work with censure of retribution giving +5 damage against the Oath of Enmity target?

1[W] + Wisdom modifier damage plus 1d6 lightning damage. The next time the target takes damage from an attack before the start of your next turn, it takes 1d6 extra thunder damage.

Does the target take the retribution damage once for the main attack and once again if the target takes damage from an attack?
Or does the target take it once for the main attack, once for the "plus 1d6 lightning damage", and a third time if the target takes damage from an attack?

MwaO
2016-12-02, 10:12 AM
Q45

How does the damage for Raging Tempest work with censure of retribution giving +5 damage against the Oath of Enmity target?

1[W] + Wisdom modifier damage plus 1d6 lightning damage. The next time the target takes damage from an attack before the start of your next turn, it takes 1d6 extra thunder damage.

Does the target take the retribution damage once for the main attack and once again if the target takes damage from an attack?
Or does the target take it once for the main attack, once for the "plus 1d6 lightning damage", and a third time if the target takes damage from an attack?

In general, this is one of the issues about 4e is that the developers are inconsistent about calling essentially extra damage extra damage. There are two points of view:
The entire damage roll is a single damage roll. Only when damage effects are either from a separate attack or on a separate effect line are they an additional damage roll.

Each call out of +X dice that is not explicitly called extra damage is its own damage roll.

----

I'd go the 1st route always. Then you do +5 damage for the one damage roll as bonuses never apply to extra damage. If your DM goes the other route, then +10 total(+5 for the 1W and +5 for the 1d6), but I think that gets ridiculously stupid in some obvious ways(such as some options adding an additional damage roll to damage rolls for infinite damage...)

Dimers
2016-12-12, 09:12 PM
Q 46

If I have the Vilhon Wilds background ("You can reroll any Dungeoneering check, but you must keep the second result, even if it is worse.") and I'm a 5th level Ooze Master ("When you make a Dungeoneering check, you can roll twice and use either result.") ...

Can I roll Dungeoneering twice, decide that I don't like the result, and roll one more time? Or, heck, roll two more times and take the better of those two?

I still haven't bought myself the Rules Compendium, so I don't know what the latest wording is for powers that involve multiple rolls for one result.

masteraleph
2017-01-14, 09:53 PM
Q47 If you have a power that deals multiple damage instances on a single attack roll/hit (e.g. Thundering Howl) and you roll a critical hit, does the extra damage from the crit get applied to each damage instance?

MwaO
2017-01-14, 10:57 PM
Q47 If you have a power that deals multiple damage instances on a single attack roll/hit (e.g. Thundering Howl) and you roll a critical hit, does the extra damage from the crit get applied to each damage instance?

Only if they're part of the damage roll of the attack roll. If they're outside the attack roll(such as Thundering Howl is), they don't.

"Maximum Damage: When an attack scores a critical hit against a target, the target takes the maximum damage possible from the attack. "

Where in this case, attack has to refer to 'attack roll'(because otherwise lots of things break)

Tiadoppler
2017-01-28, 12:05 AM
What type of action is required to switch a Versatile weapon from one-handed to two-handed (or vice-versa)?

No action? Free action? Minor action?

MwaO
2017-01-28, 09:50 AM
What type of action is required to switch a Versatile weapon from one-handed to two-handed (or vice-versa)?

No action? Free action? Minor action?

Free. So do at will, but DM can say enough.

Necroticplague
2017-02-02, 09:08 PM
Q 48.
In the almost opposite of 47, how do crits work for area attacks? Those only have one damage roll, but multiple attack rolls. So does the damage increase for all of them if I critically hit at least one of them?

darkbard
2017-02-02, 09:21 PM
Q 48.
In the almost opposite of 47, how do crits work for area attacks? Those only have one damage roll, but multiple attack rolls. So does the damage increase for all of them if I critically hit at least one of them?

Nope. You roll for the same damage to be applied to all others hit by the attack, and the enemy critted receives the full crit damage, without a roll.

Thajocoth
2017-02-02, 11:04 PM
Q49

Character A says something true. Character B doesn't trust that character A is telling the truth. Character B rolls Insight. What does character A roll? (It's not Bluff, because they're not lying.)

In the past, after fumbling around to try to suddenly think up a solution mid-game, I've had it be a Diplomacy roll, with the Diplomacy result assisting the Insight roll against a static DC. (DC is looked up from DC by level chart on the back of the DM screen. Difficulty is chosen based on how outlandish the initial statement is, rounding down.)

darkbard
2017-02-03, 07:31 AM
Q49

Character A says something true. Character B doesn't trust that character A is telling the truth. Character B rolls Insight. What does character A roll? (It's not Bluff, because they're not lying.)

Are Characters A & B both Player characters, which is what your questions implies? 4E isn't designed for Player v Player interactions in this way.

If "Character A" is an NPC, I wouldn't have her roll at all; instead, set the DC to a level-appropriate mark, either medium or hard at your discretion. Depending on the result against this static DC, your description may be:

"Though at first you doubt her, you see the truth in Character A's claim because of [insert believable but spurious and misleading fact here]" (Player B fails the check by 5 or more),

"Character A is adamant in her claim" (failed check by Player B),

"Character A's claim seems dubious, at best, but she seems to believe it to be so" (successful check by Player B), or

"Character A seems to believe her claim, but you know it do be untrue because of [insert useful infomation here]" (character B exceeds successful check by 5 or more).

Thajocoth
2017-02-03, 11:20 PM
Are Characters A & B both Player characters, which is what your questions implies? 4E isn't designed for Player v Player interactions in this way.

If "Character A" is an NPC, I wouldn't have her roll at all; instead, set the DC to a level-appropriate mark, either medium or hard at your discretion. Depending on the result against this static DC, your description may be:

"Though at first you doubt her, you see the truth in Character A's claim because of [insert believable but spurious and misleading fact here]" (Player B fails the check by 5 or more),

"Character A is adamant in her claim" (failed check by Player B),

"Character A's claim seems dubious, at best, but she seems to believe it to be so" (successful check by Player B), or

"Character A seems to believe her claim, but you know it do be untrue because of [insert useful infomation here]" (character B exceeds successful check by 5 or more).

Character B being a player and A being an NPC is the usual case for this happening, and when it has happened it's always caught me off guard.

The reverse is something that I feel could occur in, perhaps, a skill challenge or something... But I haven't actually seen it occur.

If a player wants to roll a die against another player, I rule that the other player is the DM for that roll. Basically "It's between you two, so it's your problem to figure out." This hasn't happened in any of my games though, luckily. Players getting along with one another is a good thing. So no, both being players is not in the question.

And if they're both NPCs, then why am I rolling at the table? (Hey, who wants to watch a puppet show that doesn't involve your characters?)

-----

Generally, when it's happened, I've always had an internal reaction of "Huh? Why would you find that not to be believable? Are you rolling just because you want to throw in a D20 roll?", followed by "Well, if I don't roll anything and just say "You believe they're telling the truth", the player isn't likely to feel like that's fun."

Statements on the level of: "Some of the town guards like to stop at the inn for a drink after their shift."

Like... Why are you even rolling insight on that?

So having a mechanics-level response ready for the roll will allow me to put more of my brain into "What does the player actually need right now? What's not being fun enough?"

-----

So your suggestion is basically to take out the diplomacy roll that I was having assist that insight against the DC. I really only threw that in there so the player didn't get their answer before the result comes, because if it IS a lie, then A rolls bluff, so not hearing a die hit the table behind the screen would give a meta-answer... But really, that's fine since it's almost always stuff the player shouldn't really need to roll insight on... So that makes sense. Thanks.

OldSalt
2017-02-04, 07:57 AM
A successful Intuiton roll will tell the player the NPC isn't lying and a pointless d20 roll will obscure the detail that the other person isn't bluffing.

darkbard
2017-02-28, 09:21 PM
Q 50

In Heroic tier, are there any ways of preventing OAs for ranged attacks by a character beyond Staff or Mighty Crusader Expertise or Shadowdance armor? I've been playing around with the Cavalier|Warlock build I posted and am reconsidering Avernian Knight as a PP in favor of Questing Knight. In any event, I would like to make Hellish Rebuke a possibility for this character without getting smacked by OAs by all the enemies with which he will be surrounded as a group's defender.

Dimers
2017-03-01, 02:38 AM
A 50

Shimmering armor, available 1 level before shadowdance. You can be OA-free for at least one attack per encounter with a rod of time distortion or a z'tal/serpent familiar. I suppose Sling Expertise, Drow Fighting Style or Thri-Kreen Shooter/Thrower counts too, if you can get the appropriate weapon type to be an implement for you.

That's all I see that's even close to reasonable. The halfling feat Nimble Spellcaster only works for area attacks, armor of night is paragon tier, and the belled branch symbol only works for divine powers.

darkbard
2017-03-01, 09:11 AM
Yes, thanks, but Shimmering armor (cloth only) isn't going to work on this plate-wearing, shield-using Cavalier hybrid. Really, the only thing I found that's remotely possible is using Razordark Bracers (L11 Common item), which is really only available from level 7 (L+4 per DMG parcel system) or possibly level 6 if the character were to save all found cash-equivalent loot from first level on for purchasing it.

But I appreciate your efforts. Realistically, I think Hellish Rebuke will thus only come into play at low levels when the character wins initiative and as an opening attack before moving into Defender position.

MwaO
2017-03-01, 01:28 PM
A50

Yes, thanks, but Shimmering armor (cloth only) isn't going to work on this plate-wearing, shield-using Cavalier hybrid. Really, the only thing I found that's remotely possible is using Razordark Bracers (L11 Common item), which is really only available from level 7 (L+4 per DMG parcel system) or possibly level 6 if the character were to save all found cash-equivalent loot from first level on for purchasing it.

But I appreciate your efforts. Realistically, I think Hellish Rebuke will thus only come into play at low levels when the character wins initiative and as an opening attack before moving into Defender position.

I'd note three things:
+1 Aversion Staff is essentially a Heavy Shield as long as you've got a target cursed, in your aura, or marked. Which is essentially your issue. i.e. Staff Expertise can work for you provided you get proficiency, somehow...

At 2nd level, you can use Call of Challenge to Divine Sanction. So you shift away from targets, Divine Sanction a bunch of them, and then Hellish Rebuke.

I think at some point I said I'd liked human for the race choice? This is one of the reasons - makes this more practical and immediately useful - you can get Hybrid Armor, proficiency with Staff, and Staff Expertise by 2nd level.

hencook
2017-03-19, 01:32 AM
What's the point of elite monsters? Couldn't you just add higher level monsters?

darkbard
2017-03-19, 07:39 AM
What's the point of elite monsters? Couldn't you just add higher level monsters?

There's a big difference in the way the math works between levels as opposed to between roles (minion, standard, elite, solo). Throw too high a level monster at the party, and they will never be able to score a hit against its defenses, for example. Or it may hit them with every attack, rather than half its attacks. Etc.

MwaO
2017-03-19, 09:33 AM

They're how to make a 'Big Bad Evil Guy' feel impressive, without it being represented by the PCs mostly missing. Which ends up being frustrating.

Yakk
2017-03-23, 02:02 PM
Because a higher level monster doesn't generate as engaging an encounter that feels like "a really tough foe".

Higher level, beyond the first few levels, in 4e mostly grants nastier status effects, a +1 to hit per level and a +1 to all defences per level. The rate at which damage per hit and HP scale ends up being less important.

Take a tough monster, 2 levels above the party. Your chance to hit is roughly 50%, and its chance to hit you is roughly 50%.

The XP value of a level+6 monster (a monster 6 levels above the party) is roughly twice that of the level+2 monster. If you are level 20, the level+6 monster has 16% more HP and deals about 16% more damage than the level+2 monster per hit. It hits your party 70% of the time, and you hit it 30% of the time.

Most of its "toughness" comes from "miss miss miss miss". Its hits don't feel super hard, even if they are very reliable.

In comparison, an elite level +2 monster might hit 1.5 times harder and target 2 of you. Instead of 4 higher AC, it has twice the HP -- so you still hit it 50% of the time, but it takes twice as many hits to defeat it. Instead of your control effects missing a lot, it has abilities that mitigate control effects and shrug them off after a bit of harm.

It is a monster tailored to be a large part of an encounter for level 22ish foes, instead of a monster designed to be a small part of an encounter for level 26ish foes.

Solo monsters are worse; a level 30 normal monster against level 20 characters is hit 10% of the time and hits you 90% of the time, but only has about 32% more HP and deals 32% more damage than the level 22 monster. The fight is a wiff-fest.

And that one monster isn't doing a whole pile of things to interact with all of the players. In a normal fight, with roughly equal numbers of foes, there is lots of complex state to interact with; a single high level monster is *boring* even if it was hard to defeat in comparison.

In short, much of what makes higher level monsters exponentially harder in 4e is in their ATK/DEF bonus, and that breaks down beyond a +/- 4 level range of PCs. To patch this they needed minions/elites/solos.

Even if that wasn't needed, both difficulty *and complexity* need to be managed. If you have 30 foes, they need to be simple for the DM to run them. If you have 1 foe, it can be exceedingly complex and the DM won't be bogged down. Solo monsters can have very complex mechanics to make interesting fights; elites can have somewhat complex mechanics. Normal monsters have to be simple enough that the DM can juggle 5 of them. Minions must be extremely stateless, so the DM can smoothly run 30 of them at once.

In an encounter, there are two axis; complexity and difficulty. For a well designed encounter, both must be at reasonable levels for the party and the DM. Level in 4e mostly scales difficulty; solo/elite/normal/minion scales both difficulty and complexity, as does number of foes.

Having both available is one of the reasons why it is so easy (assuming well designed 4e monsters) to throw together enjoyable tactical combats in 4e.

masteraleph
2017-04-10, 10:26 AM
Q51 Weird question that, for some reason, never came up for me before.

If you have a power that does multiple melee attacks- say, for example, Brutal Barrage- can you use a weapon in one hand for one attack and a weapon in the other hand for another? I'm not talking about getting extra attacks- just whether you could make the three attacks with different weapons.

dadada
2017-04-10, 08:19 PM
Q51 Weird question that, for some reason, never came up for me before.

If you have a power that does multiple melee attacks- say, for example, Brutal Barrage- can you use a weapon in one hand for one attack and a weapon in the other hand for another? I'm not talking about getting extra attacks- just whether you could make the three attacks with different weapons.

A51 According to the Compendium:

Attack: Constitution vs. AC. Make the attack three times.

Hit: Constitution modifier damage.

That means that there is no weapon attack involved. Just the fact that you use the weapon in character doesn't mean that you do the weapon's damage. My guess for describing this would be saying you use the flat edge of the blade. If you just mean in general, I would say no, because it says "make the attack three times".

tiornys
2017-04-10, 09:08 PM
A. 51

Brutal Barrage has the Weapon keyword and its range is Melee Weapon, so there is definitively a weapon involved with the attack.

Best I can tell, the RAW is ambiguous regarding the question, thanks to the ambiguity between "Attack" meaning an Attack Power vs. "Attack" meaning an Attack Roll. Some relevant text:

A one-handed weapon is light enough or balanced enough to wield in one hand. A creature can carry a one-handed weapon in each hand, but doing so does not let the creature make extra attacks in a round. The creature must choose which of the weapons it is wielding when it makes a weapon attack. If a weapon attack power allows the use of two weapons, one of the weapons must have the off-hand property.

Attack: An attack roll and its effects, including any damage rolls. The word “attack” is sometimes used as shorthand for “attack power.” Some attack powers include multiple attacks, and some powers, such as magic missile, are designated as attacks yet lack attack rolls (using such a power counts as making an attack if the power has a target).

An off-hand weapon is light enough that the attacker can hold it and attack effectively with it while also holding a weapon in his or her main hand. An adventurer can't attack with both weapons in the same turn, unless he or she has a power that allows such an attack, but he or she can attack with either weapon.

I believe the spirit of the rules is that you can't switch which weapon you're using mid-power unless the power explicitly allows it, but the letter of the rules doesn't actually forbid you from doing so.

Unless someone has some specific text I overlooked which definitively clarifies this, any further discussion should probably be moved to its own thread.

Gilphon
2017-04-11, 04:51 PM
Q52 If a creature that has resistance to a damage type gains vulnerability to that damage type, does it count as having both resistance and vulnerability, or just one or the other? So, for example, if a monster with resist 10 cold was hit by somebody using frostcheese, would they get combat advantage?

masteraleph
2017-04-12, 08:18 PM
Q52 If a creature that has resistance to a damage type gains vulnerability to that damage type, does it count as having both resistance and vulnerability, or just one or the other? So, for example, if a monster with resist 10 cold was hit by somebody using frostcheese, would they get combat advantage?

A52 They both apply. See page 224 in the Rules Compendium.

darkbard
2017-04-13, 03:36 PM
Q53: A character must have at least one of each type of power of its class(es) (AW, E, D, U) when possible, correct? This comes up most often for hybridized characters. My question: Does this mean that a non-hybridized character cannot take a Skill Utility power or Theme power until level 6? And a hybridized character cannot take a Skill Utility power or Theme Utility power until level 10?

Tegu8788
2017-04-13, 04:34 PM
A 53

Short answer, no. Long answer, make a thread, because there's a lot to unpack here.

darkbard
2017-04-13, 04:48 PM
I'm not sure this requires its own thread, but I'll start one anyway....

Meta
2017-04-13, 06:12 PM
Q54

How does one resolve the to-hit rolls of powers that generate more than one attack roll against a variable number of enemies?

Should all of the targets be declared at start and dice rolled at once? Does a player get to declare targets and roll one die at a time, giving him/her the chance to move on to a new target if the first has been killed?

MwaO
2017-04-13, 07:15 PM
A 53

Short answer, no. Long answer, make a thread, because there's a lot to unpack here.

Yes, they must. Page 90 of RC.

Marcloure
2017-06-03, 12:55 PM
Q55

https://scontent.fplu3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/18816984_1114873561952107_284706953_n.png?oh=cb875 fb0ab27564e19da42b772085ac8&oe=5934B8E9

If the triggering attack is a Close Burst, is its origin where the attacker was when using the power or where he is after the swap?

Kurald Galain
2017-06-03, 04:09 PM
If the triggering attack is a Close Burst, is its origin where the attacker was when using the power or where he is after the swap?

The former. When a power is interrupted, you cannot change any choices or parameters of the interrupted power; that's basically the point of having interrupts. So yes, the enemy ends up in the area of his own attack.

ThePurple
2017-06-03, 05:17 PM
The former. When a power is interrupted, you cannot change any choices or parameters of the interrupted power; that's basically the point of having interrupts. So yes, the enemy ends up in the area of his own attack.

Keep in mind that this is only dangerous for the attacker if the power they used has the entry that states "Target: All creatures in the burst/blast". If it says "enemies" or even a specific number (since you can always opt for *fewer* if a specific number is mentioned), swapping positions with the target wouldn't make them get hit by the power because, in the first case, they're not a legal target and, in the second case, they probably won't *choose* to target themself.

tiornys
2017-06-03, 11:04 PM
Keep in mind that this is only dangerous for the attacker if the power they used has the entry that states "Target: All creatures in the burst/blast". If it says "enemies" or even a specific number (since you can always opt for *fewer* if a specific number is mentioned), swapping positions with the target wouldn't make them get hit by the power because, in the first case, they're not a legal target and, in the second case, they probably won't *choose* to target themself.
Actually this will almost never be dangerous for the attacker in the case of a Close Burst attack, regardless of targeting. PHB p. 272: "Unless a power description notes otherwise, a close burst you create does not affect you."

Meta
2017-06-04, 10:27 AM
Can I get some insight on Q54?

Kurald Galain
2017-06-04, 10:38 AM
Q54Should all of the targets be declared at start and dice rolled at once? Does a player get to declare targets and roll one die at a time, giving him/her the chance to move on to a new target if the first has been killed?

We play with the latter. That said, I don't recall this being explicitly stated anywhere. It just feels wrong to demand that e.g. an archer declare the target of his second arrow before shooting the first one.

Marcloure
2017-06-04, 10:48 AM
A54: It's not very clear, but I think the targets must be declared before the resolution of the attack. So, with Twin Strike as example, you must declare if you are attacking the same target twice or two distinct targets before any roll.

Dimers
2017-06-04, 04:23 PM
Also A54

In some cases, you must resolve them sequentially, not all at once. For example, an area power that slides each target it hits -- you have to know where one creature ends up before moving another creature, because the first one might block (or free up) a lane of travel for the second and third.

Since I've seen no hint that some powers are not resolved sequentially, I've always played that they all are, any time it matters. Roll one, adjudicate, roll another, adjudicate.

Meta
2017-06-05, 10:52 AM
Interesting. Given the sheer number of times this comes up in a game I would have thought it would be spelled out somewhere.

MwaO
2017-06-05, 11:21 AM
Interesting. Given the sheer number of times this comes up in a game I would have thought it would be spelled out somewhere.

Attack is one of those funny areas where they do strange things:
Use the word to mean multiple things - attack can mean the act of attacking, an attack power, an attack line, or an attack roll.

So it is a little unclear when they talk about attack what they specifically mean when referring offhandedly to the last 3 options...

masteraleph
2017-06-05, 11:26 AM
The implication of the Rules Compendium (pages 214-215) is that you need to choose targets all at once (step 2, after choosing the power). But the same set of instructions seem to imply separate damage for all targets, when we know that there's only one damage roll on bursts/blasts, so it's a little unclear.

MwaO
2017-06-05, 06:47 PM
The implication of the Rules Compendium (pages 214-215) is that you need to choose targets all at once (step 2, after choosing the power). But the same set of instructions seem to imply separate damage for all targets, when we know that there's only one damage roll on bursts/blasts, so it's a little unclear.

Except we don't actually know what they meant by 'making an attack' because there are 4 separate definitions...

Marcloure
2017-06-13, 10:31 PM
https://scontent.fplu4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/19142234_1325088764252944_1473210460_n.png?oh=a109 380c22e78c7acb123c525baa8b82&oe=59439AC5

Q55: I found this image in a blog, but I think it is worng, isn't it? The bottom-middle square, and the ones in left-middle, should have just "cover", since the bluish line hits 2 of the square's vertices. Also, the green square hit by the pink line should have "Superior Cover" (only one vertex is hit). Or am I wrong here? Thanks.

tiornys
2017-06-13, 11:32 PM
A55:
I am assuming here that the black lines on the diagram represent blocking terrain. In that case, the diagram is correct. For both squares in question, there is simply no line of effect to the square. Touching a corner or side of the square is not sufficient to give line of effect: "Line of Effect: A clear line from one point to another point in an encounter that doesn't pass through or touch blocking terrain. Unless noted otherwise, there must be line of effect between the origin square of an effect and its intended target for that target to be affected."

The confusion might be caused by this statement in the rules for Cover: "A line isn't blocked if it runs along the edge of an obstacle's or an enemy's square." It's best to bring this line into consideration only if you otherwise have line of effect to the square in question. For example, this clarification applies to the square to the left of the bottom square you were asking about. The blocking terrain near the bottom does not block the two corners in question because you can easily draw line of effect into that square from the origin square.

Marcloure
2017-06-13, 11:53 PM
Then is it even possible to have three lines blocked and yet have line of effect?
And then, shouldn't the leftest yellow square near the pink line also be safe?

tiornys
2017-06-14, 12:16 AM
Then is it even possible to have three lines blocked and yet have line of effect?
I'm moving this discussion to its own thread. See my response here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?527300-Cover-and-Blocking-Terrain-Discussion&p=22092409).

georgie_leech
2017-06-14, 10:43 AM

It's possible to have LoE even if all corners are blocked. For instance, an arrow slit.

Arkhios
2017-06-20, 05:39 PM
Q56
Is there any Sorcerer type that benefits from high Intelligence as a secondary score?

tiornys
2017-06-20, 06:58 PM
Q56
Is there any Sorcerer type that benefits from high Intelligence as a secondary score?
A56
No. None of the sorcerer build options offer any class features that care about your Intelligence (ignoring hybrid/multiclassing, of course).

MwaO
2017-06-20, 07:52 PM
A56
No. None of the sorcerer build options offer any class features that care about your Intelligence (ignoring hybrid/multiclassing, of course).

Sorcerous Vision, the paragon tier feat, does benefit from a high Intelligence. But that means sacrificing damage to get there.

Arkhios
2017-06-26, 07:18 AM
Q57
Is there any official way to treat mace as a light or heavy blade so that you could benefit from Swordmage Warding while wielding a mace (or a Battlefist which belongs to the mace group)?

(I know there's the Street Thug feat for rogue, but RAW that only applies when a power requires a light blade. I'm also aware of the Dynamic Weapon which, I think, could be used to transform the Battlefist into an Armblade or some such.)

tiornys
2017-06-27, 08:39 PM
A57
No. Or at least, I see nothing applicable in the Compendium when searching both Mace and Blade keywords.

Dynamic Weapon looks like the best way to make use of the Battlefist as a Swordmage, but the interaction between Dynamic Weapon and a Battlefist is weird so talk to your DM before going this route.

Marcloure
2017-07-28, 01:06 PM
Q57

What source material is refered by W&M? I saw it in the Points of Light wikia, but I have no idea what it stands for.

Dimers
2017-07-28, 06:48 PM
A58

It's "Worlds and Monsters", a preview book before 4e came out in the format we know now. The other preview book was R&C, "Races and Classes".

Marcloure
2017-07-30, 05:15 PM
Q57 Does this power also removes insubstantial / the resistance granted by the insubstantial property?

http://i.imgur.com/8cwd2DX.png

tiornys
2017-07-30, 05:46 PM
Q57 Does this power also removes insubstantial / the resistance granted by the insubstantial property?

http://i.imgur.com/8cwd2DX.png

A57

I think the "best" interpretation by RAW is that it removes insubstantial some of the time. The glossary entry for Resistance says that, "Resistance appears in a stat block or power as “Resist x,” where x is the amount that the damage is reduced, followed by the type of damage that is being resisted." Insubstantial is often listed in a stat block as Resist insubstantial, and in cases like this I believe the power does remove insubstantial. However, Insubstantial itself is not defined as a type of resistance, and powers often grant it by simply saying things like, "While in this form, it is insubstantial...." In instances like this, I do not believe the power removes insubstantial.

In summary: if insubstantial is granted to a creature in the Resist line, then the power removes it. Otherwise it does not.

ThePurple
2017-07-31, 12:42 AM
I think the "best" interpretation by RAW is that it removes insubstantial some of the time.

By RAW, Insubstantial is a trait that is factored in at a different time than resistances and immunities (from the half damage note "When a power or other effect deals half damage, first apply all modifiers to the damage, including resistances and vulnerabilities, and then divide the damage in half (rounded down)." combined with the description of Insubstantial "When a creature is insubstantial, it takes half damage from any damage source, including ongoing damage. See also half damage."). The fact that it is mentioned on the Resist portion of an NPC's entry is simply a method to ensure that people remember it and that it takes up way less space. Pre-MM3, it was mentioned separately as a trait but it becomes kind of onerous when you have to include the same entry over and over for the *same exact thing* especially whenever the keyword already exists to explain it.

For more evidence, check out the wording of "resistance" and "immunity" which both refer say that it has to refer to a specific damage type and a specific amount (you don't get "insubstantial all" or "insubstantial fire" like you do with resistances and immunities; it's just "insubstantial").

From a gameplay perspective, the reasoning is pretty simple: creatures that are constantly insubstantial tend to have their hp significantly reduced compensate for it (Raaig Crypt Lord is a level 14 soldier with 96 hp and insubstantial; MM3 math would put a level 14 soldier at 140 hp). Getting rid of insubstantial is *way* more potent than getting rid of resistances or immunities (which are only really useful against hyperspecialized opponents that deal only a single type of damage).

Kashyyyk
2017-08-07, 03:32 PM
Q58

Could someone please elaborate on the arcane power "Cave Sight?" Particularly, can you see all the creatures in the rooms that you see, or just layout? And, do you allow for the vision to traverse through "gaps" that are under closed doors. Do you have a page number you can refer me to for clarification? I know my players will wonder...Thanks!

-Dave

ThePurple
2017-08-07, 04:34 PM
Could someone please elaborate on the arcane power "Cave Sight?" Particularly, can you see all the creatures in the rooms that you see, or just layout? And, do you allow for the vision to traverse through "gaps" that are under closed doors. Do you have a page number you can refer me to for clarification?

The exact wording of the power is "You learn the general layout of terrain features in the burst. You cannot sense through solid objects, such as cave walls, but you do sense around corners and into narrow gaps. Additionally, you can make a Perception check to detect hidden creatures, objects, and traps as though you were within 10 squares of them."

This breaks down into 2 different parts. The first part refers specifically to "general layout of terrain features", so it only allows you to know the location of terrain and the like. It *does* specifically say that it won't allow you to sense through solid objects while allowing you to sense around corners and into narrow gaps. For this, I would just rule that the effect follows the normal rules for blocking bursts and blasts, with total cover preventing sensation (solid objects) but superior cover and normal cover allowing for it (corners and into narrow gaps).

The second part is simply an extension of the normal use for detecting hidden creatures via Perception. The "within 10 squares of them" is simply a proviso that notes that the DC for the Perception check won't be any higher than normal (normally, 10+ spaces away increases DC by 2). Assuming you roll high enough on Perception, you'll know what spaces are occupied by creatures, traps, and other objects, but you won't be able to actually see and know what they are (as normal for finding a hidden creature without special senses).

To specifically answer your questions, you can see the layout but you have to roll Perception to detect creatures and, even then, you're only able to know what spaces they're in rather than actually being able to see the creatures. Furthermore, the powers effects extend through doors without perfect seals because they are not total cover (I might even allow it through all doors, in fact, since they're not "solid" by definition).

Kashyyyk
2017-08-07, 05:43 PM
The exact wording of the power is "You learn the general layout of terrain features in the burst. You cannot sense through solid objects, such as cave walls, but you do sense around corners and into narrow gaps. Additionally, you can make a Perception check to detect hidden creatures, objects, and traps as though you were within 10 squares of them."

This breaks down into 2 different parts. The first part refers specifically to "general layout of terrain features", so it only allows you to know the location of terrain and the like. It *does* specifically say that it won't allow you to sense through solid objects while allowing you to sense around corners and into narrow gaps. For this, I would just rule that the effect follows the normal rules for blocking bursts and blasts, with total cover preventing sensation (solid objects) but superior cover and normal cover allowing for it (corners and into narrow gaps).

The second part is simply an extension of the normal use for detecting hidden creatures via Perception. The "within 10 squares of them" is simply a proviso that notes that the DC for the Perception check won't be any higher than normal (normally, 10+ spaces away increases DC by 2). Assuming you roll high enough on Perception, you'll know what spaces are occupied by creatures, traps, and other objects, but you won't be able to actually see and know what they are (as normal for finding a hidden creature without special senses).

To specifically answer your questions, you can see the layout but you have to roll Perception to detect creatures and, even then, you're only able to know what spaces they're in rather than actually being able to see the creatures. Furthermore, the powers effects extend through doors without perfect seals because they are not total cover (I might even allow it through all doors, in fact, since they're not "solid" by definition).

Thank you so much for the prompt reply! That all makes sense, just one further quick question. Would you have the players make just one single perception roll to determine all creatures, even if there are 8+ rooms with them? Or would you have them make a roll in each room? It worked out ok with my on the fly ruling. The players needed some help finding Blink, the one-eyed goblin in Fall of the Grey Veil, who was hiding in the cistern. Though I did also inform them of several other creatures, and their type. It didn't break down, because the combats were still challenging for them.

The heavy oak doors I allowed the Cave Sight through, the secret doors I did not, unless she had rolled higher than the DC21 for them, which she did not. She rolled a single DC18 perception. Anyway, this also begs the question, if doors are not ruled as total cover for the purpose of spells...Than wouldn't that potentially open a can of worms for the players in the future? Many spells simply needing line of effect could be cast to go under doors? Would this be true? And if so, should I present the two options to my players to determine how they want to go forward with the ruling on doors?

THANK YOU!

ThePurple
2017-08-07, 07:08 PM
Would you have the players make just one single perception roll to determine all creatures, even if there are 8+ rooms with them? Or would you have them make a roll in each room?

First off, don't have the players make the rolls in these situations. If failure would tell them just as much as succeeding (e.g. if a player rolls a 1 on an Insight check and you tell them that the target is lying, they know that they're telling the truth because they know they failed), the players do not roll; in these cases, the GM should roll.

Secondly, whether you should roll once for each creature or one for all creatures depends entirely upon expedience. Sometimes it's best to just roll the once and then have that number checked against all of the creatures present (keeping in mind that you're rolling against their Stealth); sometimes it's better to roll for each creature independently (if you do this, make sure you either make the rolls secretly or do something else to obfuscate the number of enemies that you rolled for; some GMs will actually "pre-roll" a sheet of numbers and scratch them off as they go in order to prevent players from hearing them roll).

Anyway, this also begs the question, if doors are not ruled as total cover for the purpose of spells

Whether a door is total cover largely depends upon the door. Keep in mind that arrow slits (which are 3-4" wide) provide superior cover. Of course, it's also important to note that arrow slits are designed to provide access to a person at usable heights while doors don't really do this (so an attack underneath a door will hit feet while an attack through an arrow slit will hit more vital portions of a target).

I would tackle whether doors are total, superior, or normal cover on a case-by-case basis (tell your players before they start rolling though so they know what you've decided before they've committed and can't take it back).

Highfeather
2017-08-28, 09:56 AM
Q59

I'm still confused by Runepriest Rune States. More specifically, the Hybrid Runepriest.
From what I could gather, the Runic keyword on the power states you choose one of the runes, and then apply the relevant effects of the power. Then you enter the associated rune state.
This seems to suggest that you can enter a rune state regardless of if the power actually hits or not, and that you don't need the Rune Master class feature at all, you just need a power with the Runic keyword. (Meaning even stuff like Dilettante or even a simple Runepriest MC for the 1/day Rune of Mending is fair game for entering a rune state.)
However, without the Rune Master class feature, both the Rune of Destruction and the Rune of Protection states don't really do anything. So for example, Hybrids without the relevant Hybrid Talent enter rune states but don't gain any direct benefit from them.

On to the actual main question then: am I correct in the following assumption that other rune states work for hybrids and other characters that picked up a Runic power?
The Rune Master class feature only gives benefits to being in the rune states associated with the Destruction and Protection runes. Meanwhile, various Paragon Paths for the Runepriest as well as a few obscure Rare Alternative Rewards from D394 give a Runepriest more rune states to play with. They can be entered whenever you would enter another rune state (i.e. the rune state of Destruction/Protection when using a Runic power and picking a rider), which means that anybody who has picked up a Runic power and one of the Paragon Paths or Alternative Rewards can also enter the extra state granted by the PP/AR. Because the benefits of said state are given in the Paragon Path or reward description without a mention to the Rune Master class feature, I presume these extra states work as intended regardless of the class feature.

Feels a bit weird to be able to effectively poach a benefit like that. I guess it's only really relevant for the D394 runes (since I believe the PP ones end once you use the benefit, meaning you'd have to use another Runic power to enter it again), which are Rare Alternative Rewards players generally shouldn't get their hands on, so it probably doesn't have much significance in the first place.
Lowkey also annoyed that the few extra Rune States are paragon-tier rare items that can only be given out by DMs who are extremely unlikely to have even heard of the things...

MwaO
2017-08-28, 10:43 AM
A59
You need the Rune Master option to gain the benefit of the runic keyword. So, no, you do not get the benefit without it.

Highfeather
2017-08-28, 10:55 AM
A59
You need the Rune Master option to gain the benefit of the runic keyword. So, no, you do not get the benefit without it.

Interesting, though I wonder where that's stated. I'm aware the Rune Master class feature calls out what the Runic keyword does, but the definition of the 'Runic' keyword itself in the RC doesn't seem to note anything about the Rune Master class feature. This, to me, makes it seem like the two are seperate - and the function of the Runic keyword is just repeated in the class feature entry for clarity to not confuse first-time readers who want to create a Runepriest.

Though if it's true that you can't gain a benefit out of the Runic keyword without the class feature, then I suppose Hybrid Runepriest who want to use the Hybrid Talent to pick up something from their other class are kind of doomed. After all, the Runic keyword is also the one that governs the mechanic of choosing the Destruction/Protection riders, devaluing most Runepriest powers to "MBAs that don't count as an MBA" for anybody lacking the relevant class feature. Which would also devalue nearly any reason for anybody to MC into Runepriest and go for powerswaps.

Marcloure
2017-08-28, 03:28 PM
A59
I don't think you need the Rune Master feature to gain the basic benefits of the Rune keyword, only the empowered version is restricted to the Rune Master. Otherwise, it wouldn't even be needed to write the special benefits in the feature, but just in the powers, like what happens with Warlock's Pact or Fighter's Talents power bonuses.

Dimers
2017-08-28, 04:03 PM
The text of the Rune Master feature happens to restate the description of the runic keyword, but the feature is not needed to benefit from the keyword. All that Rune Master does is put you into a rune state. The powers' runic choices function whether or not you are in a rune state, since the keyword is described elsewhere in the same book. (Sorry, couldn't say where, AFB at the moment.)

MwaO
2017-08-28, 04:19 PM
The text of the Rune Master feature happens to restate the description of the runic keyword, but the feature is not needed to benefit from the keyword. All that Rune Master does is put you into a rune state. The powers' runic choices function whether or not you are in a rune state, since the keyword is described elsewhere in the same book. (Sorry, couldn't say where, AFB at the moment.)

Yup, that's correct, my mistake. You don't get the +1 to hit option of Runemaster or resist damage while allies adjacent to you.

Marcloure
2017-11-02, 03:37 PM
Q60: If I make an attack that doesn't do damage and roll a crit, do I add the bonus damage from feats/enhancement?
Example: I have a +1 holy symbol and roll a critical hit with Command power, which deals no damage. Should I add +1d6?

masteraleph
2017-11-02, 10:00 PM
Q60: If I make an attack that doesn't do damage and roll a crit, do I add the bonus damage from feats/enhancement?
Example: I have a +1 holy symbol and roll a critical hit with Command power, which deals no damage. Should I add +1d6?

A60:

A) Bonus damage is (almost?) always in addition to a damage roll, so no go there.
B) Extra damage (which is what Critical bonuses are) is always in addition to other damage. It doesn't require a damage roll, so a power that deals a flat amount rather than having a damage roll gets the extra crit damage added to it, but it can't add to no damage.

Yakk
2017-11-03, 06:38 AM

No, powers that don't deal damage don't deal damage on a critical hit from implements or weapons.

Marcloure
2017-11-03, 09:11 AM
But do they apply other critical effects beside damage (like conditions)? Thank you.

Tegu8788
2017-11-03, 12:24 PM
Q 61

If someone MC’s Monk, how often are they able to use the Movement part of the Full Discipline action? The CharBuilder says it’s at-will, but that feels like a glitch. Does it become a 1 use encounter, an encounter power that you can use until you use a different Full Discipline movement or standard move option, or is it actually at-will?

Yakk
2017-11-03, 12:38 PM
Q 61: Both the movement and non-movement part of a Full Discipline power share the same use frequency and reuse. If you use one, you can also use the other in the same round. If you use either, the other is expended.

dariathalon
2017-11-03, 04:21 PM
But do they apply other critical effects beside damage (like conditions)? Thank you.

Yes. A weapon or implement that has condition criticals will kick in even when there was no damage. Though if it does extra damage and a condition, only the condition would apply.

Dimers
2017-11-19, 05:52 AM
Q 62

"Sling", "crossbow", "mace". Each is the name of a weapon group. Each is also the name of a type of weapon in that group. Has there ever been an official clarification about when to use each meaning?

For example, can a rogue Sneak Attack with a dejada, a member of the "sling" group?

Waddacku
2017-11-19, 07:31 AM
A62: I have yet to see or even hear of any such clarification. What appears to be the case is that "the weapon" refers to the specific type while "a weapon" allows the entire group. Compare "proficiency with the sling" to "proficiency with slings."
For your example, by a strict reading, sneak attack is allowed when making an attack with "a sling", and the dejada is clearly "a sling", being in the sling weapon group. Otherwise, rogues would not be able to sneak attack with daggers, either.

Incidentally, Ruthless Ruffian allows THE club and THE mace for sneak attacks, but A club or A mace for Str-to-dmg on Rattling attacks.

Catdrake
2017-12-14, 01:40 PM
Q63

Specific instance, but the question in general is, if something in all other ways qualifies as something that bonus damage could be applied to by item or feat text, but does not, on its own, deal damage, does it get bonus damage? Specific instance here being Resplendent Gloves and Maze of Mirrors. Maze of mirrors is an illusion power that targets will, but only enacts penalties, doing no damage. Resplendent gloves say "When you hit with an attack power that targets will, the attack deals X extra damage". Would the attack damage the target?

Vhaidara
2017-12-14, 01:48 PM
A63
Per the rules on extra damage

Many powers and other effects grant the ability to deal extra damage. Extra damage is always in addition to other damage and is of the same type or types as that damage, unless otherwise noted. Because of this rule, an effect that deals no damage cannot deal extra damage. However, a power doesn't necessarily have to hit a target to deal extra damage—it needs only to deal damage to the target.
(emphasis mine)

You need to deal damage to deal extra damage.
Rules Compendium 233

UndertakerSheep
2017-12-20, 07:04 PM
Q64

Can a creature with phasing end its turn inside a wall?

I have always assumed the way phasing was phrased means that it can't end its turn inside of a wall, but when I went to look up the actual definition things got a bit murky.

Phasing says it "must end its movement in an unoccupied space." (Rules Compendium, p314)

But when I looked up Occupied Square in the Compendium, it says "A creature occupies all the squares of its space," and nothing more. This seems to imply that only creatures can occupy a square, and on the battlemap a square is a space, so a wall is not an occupied space on its own. This seems weird to me, and makes phasing a lot more dangerous.

Page 204 of the Rules Compendium does say about phasing (under Movement Related Traits): "The creature follows the normal rules for where it must end its movement (normally an unoccupied space)." The mention of "normal rules" does seem to imply you cannot end your turn in a wall.

Have I been doing phasing wrong all these years?

Dimers
2017-12-20, 08:25 PM
A 64

RC 317 defines 'unoccupied square' as "A square that is neither occupied by a creature nor filled by an object." Though to be more complete, effects can sometimes occupy squares as well, such as some conjurations.

Gwic
2018-01-05, 11:03 AM
Q 65

When a Runepriest uses Rune of the Undeniable Dawn (PHB3, p. 102), it's close burst 3, and "The burst creates a zone that lasts until the end of your next turn" but "Sustain Minor: The Zone persists."

If a Runepriest moves, does the zone continue to be burst 3 around them, or does the zone create a static 7x7 zone on the battlefield?

Vhaidara
2018-01-05, 11:50 AM
A65: it would create a static 7x7 Zone. A zone that moved with you would include the verbage "centered on you"

Marcloure
2018-01-06, 12:51 AM
Q 66.
Magic Circle and Undead Ward. Do both these rituals block only normal movement, or do the rituals also block passage "infinitely" below and above the circle? The ritual description doesn't say anything about it, so I guess it's up to DM interpretation and judgment?

Verbannon
2018-01-06, 02:33 AM
In previous editions the spell was usually treated as an orb of protection. If I recall correctly.

Dimers
2018-01-06, 07:37 AM
Yep, no definition of the word "circle" or "line", and no further info in the glossary entries for Rituals. Looks like it's up to the DM.

Me, I'd go with a cone shape, with height about five times the circle radius, and the effect would end at the ground but make the ground warded. For the line version, I'd say the barrier goes about half the line length, above and below even if that penetrates the earth -- lines are different from circles, magically speaking.

Arkhios
2018-02-18, 06:46 PM
Q67. Does Two-Blade Warrior [Multiclass Ranger] feat qualify a character for ranger Paragon Path that requires the Two-Blade Fighting Style?

tiornys
2018-02-18, 07:22 PM
Q67. Does Two-Blade Warrior [Multiclass Ranger] feat qualify a character for ranger Paragon Path that requires the Two-Blade Fighting Style?

A67.
No. It would need to explicitly grant the Two-Blade Fighting Style class feature of the Ranger. Instead, it grants the main benefit of that feature without actually giving you the class feature.

Gwic
2018-03-04, 08:39 PM
Q68: A dwarf cleric w/ Dwarven Weapon Training has an Urgrosh with Bradaman's Weapon enchantment. If he casts Lance of Faith using the Bradaman's Urgrosh as his implement, does the power get the +2 damage from Dwarven Weapon Training?

For reference,

DWT: "You gain proficiency and a +2 feat bonus to damage rolls with axes and hammers."
Urgrosh is a superior axe (and spear).
Bradaman's Weapon has "Property: Divine characters can use this weapon as a holy symbol implement for divine powers."
Lance of Faith has the Implement keyword.

Wasteomana
2018-03-05, 12:30 AM
Q68: A dwarf cleric w/ Dwarven Weapon Training has an Urgrosh with Bradaman's Weapon enchantment. If he casts Lance of Faith using the Bradaman's Urgrosh as his implement, does the power get the +2 damage from Dwarven Weapon Training?

For reference,

DWT: "You gain proficiency and a +2 feat bonus to damage rolls with axes and hammers."
Urgrosh is a superior axe (and spear).
Bradaman's Weapon has "Property: Divine characters can use this weapon as a holy symbol implement for divine powers."
Lance of Faith has the Implement keyword.

Yes that works

masteraleph
2018-03-11, 02:05 PM
Q69: How does Ring of Giants ("Gain a +2 bonus to critical hit damage per enhancement bonus of the weapon you wield.") interact with a weapon attack where you're using a ki focus? Does it add +2/enhancement bonus of the weapon itself or of the ki focus?

Dimers
2018-03-11, 05:56 PM
A 69

RAW, just the weapon itself. "If you have both a magic ki focus and a magic weapon, you choose before you use an attack power whether to draw on the magic of the ki focus or that of the weapon. Your choice determines which enhancement bonus, critical hit effects, and magic item properties and powers you can apply to that power." It doesn't say the choice applies for all purposes.

Rules As Interpreted: sure, either one, why the hell not.

My quote brings up an interesting idea, though. The choice seems to be an option regardless of whether you use a weapon attack power ... :smallamused:

masteraleph
2018-04-14, 11:07 PM
Q70a

If you're using a Dagger or Staff as an implement, can a Ranger's Rapid Shot attack be used with an Elementalist's Elemental Bolt? (Before someone says

Q70b

If the answer to question (a) is yes, can Elemental Escalation be used to target an enemy in the original "burst" a second time? If you need a diagram, consider:

XXX
ATB
XXX
XCX

Where A and B are enemies, T is the target square for Rapid Shot, and you are C. i.e. You would make your attack against A, then your attack against B and use Elemental Escalation to target A in the attack against B.

Q70c

Can a level 1 Ranger at will from a Half Elf's Dilettante/Versatile Master be swapped out for Rapid Shot using Archery Mastery? (note- a and b are still relevant via Paragon Multiclassing, this is just an alternative method to grab Rapid Shot)

Vhaidara
2018-04-14, 11:34 PM
A70A: Yes, it just requires you to make a RBA with a weapon (which staff and dagger both are)
A70B: Yes
A70C: Technically by RAW you don't need Versatile Master, though the group I play in rules that you do.

MrNoodle
2018-05-11, 03:24 AM
Q71

A party consisting of four level eight characters and one level seven are awarded xp for six fights. The level seven character only needs 100xp to level up. Should the DM award bonus xp to the level seven character for all of the fights (as he fought them all at one level lower than the rest) or just the first one and then normal xp for the other four fights (as if he was the same level)?

darkbard
2018-05-11, 06:47 AM
A71: I don't think there is anything RAW for this scenario. But I would rule that DM should award higher XP amount for the lower-level character (1) because the PC hadn't leveled yet & didn't have the benefit of new abilities, etc. and (2) because thus will lower the XP gap between said PC and the rest of the party, which needlessly complicates play, as your example demonstrates.

ThePurple
2018-05-11, 09:43 AM
A71: I don't think there is anything RAW for this scenario.

RAW, a character's level has no affect upon the xp gained from a fight, whatsoever. That was only ever a thing in 3.X that was gotten rid of because it complicated things too much.

Any further discussion as to whether a different amount of xp should be awarded to players based upon their different levels isn't appropriate for this thread and should have a thread of its own created.

masteraleph
2018-05-15, 08:18 PM
Q72: Other than Blood Fury Weapon, any per-encounter methods to count as Bloodied?

Dimers
2018-05-15, 11:15 PM
A 72

The paragon shifter feat Draw Out The Beast can do it repeatedly. It triggers whenever you spend a healing surge for hp.

Or have an Infernal Eye ally treat you like an enemy :smallwink: But seriously, Draw Out The Beast is all I've ever found.

masteraleph
2018-05-27, 10:44 AM
Q73: If you have the Epic Destiny Reincarnate Champion or Soul of the World, and you pick Dragonborn as a race, is there a way to get a functional Dragon Breath power? It seems like the stat and type choices have to occur at character creation.

Dimers
2018-05-28, 01:19 AM
A (sorta) 73

I'm not convinced the wording prevents selection. The power doesn't specify that only characters who have the power should make the selection. Apparently the players of halflings and minotaurs also need to decide what their dragon breath will be like once they get the power. Gosh, I keep doing it wrong, I never remember that step in char-gen. :smalltongue:

If anyone wants to chime in ... "When you create your character, choose Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity as the ability score you use when making attack rolls with this power. You also choose the power's damage type: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or poison. These two choices remain throughout your character's life and do not change the power's other effects."

I was gonna say something about dying, since the selection only operates "throughout your character's life", but then realized that brings up a worse dysfunction. Dragonborn who die have their choice removed but can't make a new choice when resurrected because there's no clause for regaining the selection. Which just goes to show, some questions are better answered with common sense than with logic.

MwaO
2018-05-28, 09:21 AM
A (sorta) 73If anyone wants to chime in ... "When you create your character, choose Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity as the ability score you use when making attack rolls with this power. You also choose the power's damage type: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or poison. These two choices remain throughout your character's life and do not change the power's other effects."

Yeah, think it is a reasonably straightforward "Pick a choice and stick with it, because we're not assuming other options allowing it to be picked will exist."

Master of Fire and Darkness feat is currently broken if that's not how it gets looked at if a Drow picked Cloud of Darkness and then wanted Darkfire too. And that feat was errata'd to deal with the problems of them having errata'd Drow to only get to pick one.

Farwen34
2018-06-05, 06:27 PM
Hi all, I'm new here :)

Q74 :
There is a spell, and me and my friends don't understand exactly how it works.

Charm of misplaced Wrath :
"You bend your foe's mind, filling it with wrath even as you twist its senses"
Hit : [...]
Effect : The target makes a basic attack power against a creature of your choice. [...]

Now, it's not written "basic melee attack" (spells like "Hypnotism" specify "basic melee attack") , so if the target has a basic ranged attack it should be able to target an ennemy.

There are 2 ways to interpret this line imo :

1°) The player asks to the DM "does my target has a ranged basic attack, and if so can it target this foe, and if so please attack it and roll the dices?"

2°) The player asks to the DM "I would want my target to attack this foe" ; And if the target didnt have a "ranged basic attack", or if the range of the ranged attack isnt enough, the "Charm of misplaced wrath" fizzles and nothing happens. ( "Magic : The Gathering" kind of way to see the situation).

What do you think is the most logic way to resolve such a spell? 1°) or 2°) ?

Dimers
2018-06-07, 04:33 PM
Re: Q 74 ... Sorry, friend, but as far as I've seen that's not spelled out anywhere. It's a great question!

In my experience, 4e DMs lean toward transparency and player empowerment, so I think option 1 is the more likely ruling.

I like to reward active and interactive use of skills. So I give players information about enemies' abilities based on knowledge rolls. I always make some rolls at the start of combat, so my player might already know whether the monster has a ranged attack and whether the range is very limited.

If the question came up mid-combat and the character doesn't have enough skill to know, I'd kinda use option one-and-a-half. The slide and daze would happen as usual, of course. Then the player would say "I want it to make a RBA against Goblin B" and I'd reply "It doesn't have an RBA, sorry. Want to target something else with an MBA?" For charm of misplaced wrath, the target of the basic attack could even be the victim itself, which it can definitely reach!

darkbard
2018-06-08, 09:26 PM
Q75: Vestige of Mount Vaelis, Warlock D1, says the target cannot "walk or run." Does this rule out charging? shifting? How does thjs differ from immobilized?

Dimers
2018-06-09, 01:13 AM
A 75

The power prevents movement by foot, but not by climb, swim, fly, or teleport speeds. (If you can fly, you can still charge.) It also doesn't trigger anything that keys off "immobilized" like World Serpent's Grasp. I'm not perfectly sure about shifting and can't find clarification anywhere but would assume that shifting also requires an alternate movement mode. Shifting does require moving ... it seems to me that not being able to walk/run prevents any kind of moving based on walking/running.

Immobilization is itself one tiny corner of 4e that's NOT crystal-clear. Some kinds of immobilization go with you when you teleport/slide and some don't. I have a rough time when I try to 'brew effects that hold creatures in some way -- many words needed.