PDA

View Full Version : Most useful of these domains

ZhanStrider
2015-12-30, 04:42 PM
My sorcerer gets to pick a domain spell list and add them to his spells known. Sadly, my choices are LIMITED. I don't get the domain power, just the spells, and I have to pick from: Good, Healing, Plant, Liberation, Glory or Sun domains.

We don't have a healer, which is the only reason i'm considering Healing.

Glory, Good and Liberation fit the character best.

Amphetryon
2015-12-30, 04:46 PM
My sorcerer gets to pick a domain spell list and add them to his spells known. Sadly, my choices are LIMITED. I don't get the domain power, just the spells, and I have to pick from: Good, Healing, Plant, Liberation, Glory or Sun domains.

We don't have a healer, which is the only reason i'm considering Healing.

Glory, Good and Liberation fit the character best.

Liberation is, in my opinion, the best of the lot.

Even without a healer, if one of you has decent UMD, a wand of CLW or (Lesser) Vigor is probably a better option than using your Domain for this purpose, unless you're encountering a real meat-grinder.

LTwerewolf
2015-12-30, 04:46 PM
Need to know more about your sorcerer and how you plan to play them.

Troacctid
2015-12-30, 04:57 PM
I'd go with Healing if nobody else in the party has access to healing spells or enough UMD to reliably use wands. Plant and Good would be my next choices; Plant offers some decent controlling spells in Entangle, Plant Growth, and Wall of Thorns, while Good offers some reasonable tools for fighting evil foes.

Glory is the best if you have access to 9th level spells, because Gate is super broken, but I'm assuming you're lower level than that.

ZhanStrider
2015-12-30, 05:40 PM
Need to know more about your sorcerer and how you plan to play them.

Gish. Plan: Sorc 3/Swordsage 2/Sand Shaper 5/Jade Pheonix Mage 5. Current: Sorc 3/Swordsage2/Sand Shaper 1 Ideally, a melee combatant that can be useful as a Blaster as well. Neutral Good with Chaotic Leanings, Patron God is the god of Freed Slaves. Mortal foe is a Paladin of Slaughter who lopped my arm off.

ZhanStrider
2015-12-30, 05:44 PM
Liberation is, in my opinion, the best of the lot.

Even without a healer, if one of you has decent UMD, a wand of CLW or (Lesser) Vigor is probably a better option than using your Domain for this purpose, unless you're encountering a real meat-grinder.

My sorcerer does okay, He's virtually untouchable at this point, though he was worthless as possible till right now (Just got to Level 6) so healing isn't THAT vital.

LTwerewolf
2015-12-30, 06:02 PM
Liberation has a bunch of great buffs that would do well to be on any gish list. Glory is more useful on the offensive side of things, giving a little more utility than liberation, but it's also a little more circumstantial since some of the spells require certain enemies. These are the two I think would do you the most good. Since you already have so many fire effects and since fire is the most resisted element, the sun domain really loses a lot of its shine. Comparing them by individual level, liberation has better spells at 1, 4, 6, and 8, while glory has better spells at 2, 3, 7, and 9, with 5 being pretty much a wash between the two. It's pretty even most of the way. If you have another person for defensive buffs, I'd go glory, if you have someone else that's hyper offense I'd go liberation, and if you have both/neither I'd flip a coin.

Troacctid
2015-12-30, 06:11 PM
Liberation has a bunch of great buffs that would do well to be on any gish list. Glory is more useful on the offensive side of things, giving a little more utility than liberation, but it's also a little more circumstantial since some of the spells require certain enemies.

Do Undetectable Alignment and Freedom of Movement really count as buffs? I'm not sure Bless Weapon and Searing Light qualify as good offensive spells either--I'd rather have Holy Smite, Blade Barrier, and Holy Word from the Good domain.

LTwerewolf
2015-12-30, 06:17 PM
Do Undetectable Alignment and Freedom of Movement really count as buffs? I'm not sure Bless Weapon and Searing Light qualify as good offensive spells either--I'd rather have Holy Smite, Blade Barrier, and Holy Word from the Good domain.

Freedom of Movement entirely negates nearly anything stopping you from doing your thing. Grapple, trip, entangle, it's all negated with a simple spell. That's pretty important for a gish that needs to maintain high mobility and can't be wasting tons of spells on dimension door and the like. Along with mind blank, it's part of the "sorry, you can't do things to be" line of buffs that can end up making wizards nigh immune to harm. That's not nothing. Also I specifically called out that glory had the better spell at 2, making undetectable alignment not that great. It's a very niche buff that can work wonders when it's called for, but is almost never called for.

Gee-chan
2015-12-30, 09:16 PM
Liberation is the best of the bunch by quite a margin.

ZhanStrider
2015-12-31, 05:33 PM
Liberation is the best of the bunch by quite a margin.

Keep in mind I'll likely only get 4th level spells.

Troacctid
2015-12-31, 05:53 PM
Plant has the best low-level spells.

atemu1234
2016-01-02, 02:35 PM
Keep in mind I'll likely only get 4th level spells.

Not planning on going up much more, or simply not planning on getting to ninths? Because ninth-level spells are highly powerful.

ZhanStrider
2016-01-02, 02:38 PM
Not planning on going up much more, or simply not planning on getting to ninths? Because ninth-level spells are highly powerful.

The DM has said the campaign is only designed for us to get to level 15. As a Gish, I'll likely only get to 4-5 by the end of it.