PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars FFG Star Wars: Dathomiri Witches can Fly. Suggestions for handling this in the Force?

AstralFire
2015-12-30, 07:29 PM
Hey, so one of the long-running powers of the Dathomiri Witches in the books -- and just something I think is cool in general as a GM -- is the power to fly, which doesn't seem as OP as in some other systems due to the heavily abstracted combat. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for representing this power in a reasonable way in the game, because my party is on Dathomir, and one of the players would like to learn the power, but we only switched to this system this week.

Rakaydos
2015-12-30, 08:26 PM
Force throw your broomstick while you sit on it.

It's heavilly disagreed upon, but the developers support being able to force lift youself and fly around like 3PO in RotJ

AstralFire
2015-12-30, 09:26 PM
Hmm. I kinda feel like if it's based on move, it's worth a deep talent or two to affect yourself, because not everyone can do it. But we do have a few examples of levitation.

RickAllison
2016-01-04, 08:44 AM
The way I would run it would be using the Force Move and having players handle movement through the air as a Discipline check (with difficulty dice according to the GM), rather than needing a separate talent. The kicker is that the player not only has to get in the air and move in it with the Discipline checks, and so be unable to move if the action is not devoted to it, but must also roll Force die with any other actions to simulate just maintaining the Force to levitate. That way, the players can have the ability without figuring out entirely new talents, just adapting talents they might already have.

Alternatively, set up another 15-XP Control upgrade to move that allows levitation at the beginning of the maneuver and only requires re-rolling at proscribed intervals (or whenever the PC is stressed). Then, just figure out fly speeds and let the players go.

AstralFire
2016-01-05, 09:34 AM
Hmm, those are both good ideas. I might combine them together to illustrate any Jedi being able to levitate themselves in a pinch, but only hyperspecialized Jedi being able to actually make good use of it.

EDIT: This is what I'm going with for now:
Force Flight: Players who have purchased the first Strength Upgrade can use Force Move to levitate through the air by activating it as an on-going effect which requires committing 2 force dice. Afterwards, they must make a discipline check every round as a maneuver, and a discipline check must also be made as an incidental against any attack. The player may only move two range bands per round in this fashion. Failing a discipline check causes the player to fall, and ends the on-going effect.

As a 15 XP cost, the player can improve the first Control Upgrade to allow them to activate Force Flight as an ongoing effect that costs only 1 force dice, they must make a discipline check to activate the effect, but thereafter can move up to two range bands as a maneuver, once per round.