PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Planned Spontanaeity+Arcanist

Susano-wo
2015-12-30, 09:59 PM
=Wow?
The Feat Planned Spontaneity (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/planned-spontaneity) allows you to memorize two spells in the same slot. When you cast either spell it "consumes" both spells in the slot. However, the arcanist doesn't consume spells when it casts them. Does this mean that A: the feat doesn't function, B: The feat functions, but you basically get an extra spell prepped for those levels, or C: the feat "consumes" the spells in that slot, leaving an unfilled slot?

I'm not sure what the RAW would be (though i can see a DM houseruling that it doesn't work at all regardless of RAW, since its designed around wizard style casting, and Arcanist casting wasn't a thing when it was written.)

grarrrg
2015-12-30, 10:25 PM
A> Does not compute, is the most likely answer.
The feat was designed with Prepared casters in mind, and while an Arcanist is not fully a Spontaneous Caster, it isn't exactly a Prepared on either.

For a playable alternative: You prepare one less 'normal' spell of each level (whatever levels according to feat), but get to prepare two "special" spells at those levels. The first time you cast a "special" spell, you lose access to the paired "special" spell.

Example (cause wordifying this is getting confusing): Assume an Arcanist can normally prepare three 1st level spells. This feat would let you prepare two spells normally (say, Sleep and Magic Missile), and two "special" spells (say, Shield and Infernal Healing).
You can cast Sleep and Magic Missile as much as you have slots for, but the first time you cast Shield would mean you lose nfernal Healing as a prepared spell for the rest of the day (likewise, if you cast Infernal Healing first, you'd lose Shield for the day).

Topaz
2015-12-31, 12:25 AM
Alternate D: The feat allows you to prepare two spells in one spell slot, but casting either of them consumes two castings of the spell level.

golem1972
2015-12-31, 03:55 AM
Unfortunately this is one of those ask your DM questions. RAW is ambiguous, and RAI probably didn't intend to have the Arcanist (or any other non-wizard spell caster) use the feat.

Questions like these (and others like pages of knowledge / pearls of power / rings of wizardry / etc.) are why I've been trying to rebuild the Arcanist.

Essential my version is a wizard that prepares and casts spells each day expending their prepared spell slots just like a normal wizard does. It also gains a pool of daily spell slots that it can use to spontaneously cast using their spells prepared as their list of spells known. The arcanist would have the choice of using a spontaneous spell slot or expending a prepared spell. Balance is somewhat achieved by having fewer spells prepared per day than a normal wizard and fewer spontaneous spell slots than a sorcerer.

Still bogged down with fixing the exploits, adding new exploits (especially for the divine casting archetype), and adding / changing archetypes to create an Archivist version and a Mystic Theurge version.

Eldonauran
2015-12-31, 01:25 PM
I agree this feat was not meant to be taken by an Arcanist.

I agree with Topaz that you get to prepare two. You effectively have an additional spell known for the day but using a spell per day to cast it renders you with one less spell known afterwards (ie, burns both spells out of your mind). However, this is not as bad as it appears to be. You now have an un-allocated spell known slot and you prepare spells like a wizard. Spend your 15 minutes and put a useful spell back in there.

Susano-wo
2016-01-01, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the replies, peeps. I figured it was a does not compute sitch, but I was hoping the RAWficionados around here could work out a working RAW. Not super convinced that both spells would vanish, leaving a blank slot, but that does seem the RAWest interpretation. I'll talk to the DM, but I may just drop the feat. Quick Study still gives me plenty of spell flexibility (and I took extra pool :smallamused:) Thank, again!

atemu1234
2016-01-02, 11:29 PM
I agree this feat was not meant to be taken by an Arcanist.

I agree with Topaz that you get to prepare two. You effectively have an additional spell known for the day but using a spell per day to cast it renders you with one less spell known afterwards (ie, burns both spells out of your mind). However, this is not as bad as it appears to be. You now have an un-allocated spell known slot and you prepare spells like a wizard. Spend your 15 minutes and put a useful spell back in there.

I'm partial to Topaz's idea as well. In 3.5, there was a rule, I believe, that spontaneous casters could prepare spells to avoid the casting time increase. I think a similar ruling is in order to make it work here.