PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] sea witch PrC build

greymerchant
2015-12-30, 10:37 PM
Attempting to do build around the sea witch. I do not mind optimization a bit, i am trying to see what would feel like a good theme fitting.

Currently i am stumped on what would be a good basis for it. Any help would be appreciated.

Telonius
2015-12-30, 11:15 PM
Wizard would most likely be the strongest entry. Losing two spellcasting levels hurts, and especially so if you're entering through Sorcerer.

You could just barely get all ten levels in with a Bard entry, if you use Arcane Disciple to get access to the Water domain and Control Water.

DrMotives
2015-12-30, 11:23 PM
Just thematically, sea witch is weird. The fluff & theme are all about curses and using the ocean as a weapon, which feels more like a divine caster, but it specifies building an arcane caster. The one I think matches best by personality is a harbinger variant bard, from Dragon Mag #337. All their bardic music is switched from buffing allies to debuffing enemies, otherwise they're a normal bard. You'd need something like arcane disciple (water domain) to make the entry qualifications, but then you could do it by caster level 10. A bard sea witch would want something to keep perform on the skill list somehow though.

greymerchant
2015-12-31, 08:00 AM
yeah... thought it would be very invested to do a decent build. Maybe if I can ask the DM to change to divine caster for a change to be easier and it really feels like it should be divine caster. most of the other PrC class that deal with some type of water is divine caster. if not then I will forsake this and go with my pirate build, cause everybody likes pirates :3

Telonius
2015-12-31, 09:00 AM
Is Dragon magazine available? Alternative Source Spell could allow it.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-12-31, 09:13 AM
Sha'ir could also do it. You get the water domain, and you have a nice elemental theme. Send your water gen to barter with the marid, dominate the seas!

greymerchant
2015-12-31, 10:23 AM
Is Dragon magazine available? Alternative Source Spell could allow it.

All 3.5 material, all 3.0 if there's not a 3.5 update to it, all WotC Web Enhancement content. No Dragon Magazine is allowed except for the Dragon Compendium, no Pathfinder (although I am combining Spot/Listen/Search into Perception (Wis), Hide/Move Silently into Stealth (Dex), and Balance/Climb/Jump/Tumble into Acrobatics (Dex)), and no 3rd party material (including the Dragonlance Campaign Setting, I'm counting that as 3rd party.)
also with no homebrew. he is iffy on some class changes but have to go through him though.

greymerchant
2015-12-31, 10:48 AM
Sha'ir could also do it. You get the water domain, and you have a nice elemental theme. Send your water gen to barter with the marid, dominate the seas!

that sounds very tempting!

atemu1234
2016-01-02, 11:34 PM

Indeed, Sha'ir is a very potent class. I wish you luck if you do this.

Zombulian
2016-01-03, 03:23 PM

Indeed, Sha'ir is a very potent class. I wish you luck if you do this.

There is the issue of Sha'Ir spells (by this I mean... how long you have access to them? I dunno, Sha'Ir is screwy) being reliant upon how many levels you have in the class itself, and not on your caster level.