PDA

View Full Version : Hold it or toss/sell it?

EdgarVerona
2007-06-12, 09:33 PM
Okay, so the Mrs. and I are moving, and we're trying to come to terms with the fact that we both have a lot of JUNK. Stuff that we never use, stuff that's just taking up space... so much space that we need a 2 room apartment for just the 2 of us.

So we're trying to negotiate... and I volunteered to get rid of some of my old D&D stuff. I went through it, and found that 90% of it I had never even opened.

One in particular I always liked having, but never used it. The original Planescape Campaign Setting box set for D&D Second Edition. I opened it a few times to flip through and admire the cool maps and read the books, but I never played a game with it and it spend the great majority of its life secure in the box. I have a few others of equal quality (the original Forgotten Realms box set, some old Star Wars D6 books from West End Games etc...), and I'm having a hard time bringing myself to throw them up on EBay, though they take up a pretty good chunk of room and are darn heavy to lug around.

Is it worth holding onto it? Could D&D items possibly raise in value, and thus be worth keeping for collector reasons? I - and my wife - eagerly await opinions on the subject. :smallsmile:

TheOOB
2007-06-12, 09:50 PM
The question you are asking is a difficult one. Its the same problum I ask every time I finish a college class and have to choose whether or not to sell the textbooks, but this case is much much more difficult(after all, we all known D&D is more important then school j/k :P)

Generally speaking, I'd say keep the old books...unless you can get a lot for them. I like having a collection of all my old books, and if you RPG a lot like I do, you may eventually come back to them (or use them for the first time).However, if you can manage to get $50+ bucks for a book you might never use again, go for it. Thats money that could be used on a new book that you would use.

Rob Knotts
2007-06-12, 10:05 PM
I'd keep the boxed sets for Realms and especially Planescape, both are part of a era that's come and gone. I'd sell the Star Wars d6 books; you aren't likely to find people willing to play it anymore, and the game is really a footnote in the whole thriving universe of media for Star Wars fans still out there.

Think about it this way: how valuable to you are the old books compare to what's available now? Planescape seems to have ended with the videogame Torment, and the powers that be aren't going to revive it anytime soon. I don't know where you fall in, but a lot of fans of the TSR Forgotten Realms don't find the same appeal in the WotC version. Star Wars d6? It's not like they're any more thorough resources for fans that anything being published now, and the specific rules aren't very useful for a game you can't find anyone to play anymore.

Keep the stuff you really think is timeless, dump the stuff that's passe'.

de-trick
2007-06-12, 10:22 PM
id say keep it or sell it never toss why because id rather sell it and the give the book a nice home or keep it and Cherish it forever

commit
1)if i was you id divorce her no one gets between a nerd and d&d
[scrubbed]

EdgarVerona
2007-06-12, 11:40 PM
Aye, I'd definately never toss it... I think the toss was a bit extreme of me to put in the title. Even if I had to sell it for a quarter and the price of shipping, I'd find *someone* who wanted it.

Indeed, I do feel very drawn to keep Planescape. Though I must admit that I'm drawn to keep the Star Wars D6 game too, just because I found it to be so much more intuitive and fun than the WotC version. Also, you have a good point about Forgotten Realms.

I think I'll keep Planescape and the D6 Star Wars book and (tenatively) the Forgotten Realms box unless it can fetch a 40$+ price, and then try to EBay the rest of it.

A minor update... looks like Forgotten realms isn't worth that much at the moment on EBay, so I'll hold onto it. Planescape is still going for 50 bucks, which I think was the price I paid to buy it originally... odd... was there a big cult following for Planescape or something?

Matthew
2007-06-14, 06:54 PM
Yeah, Planescape was much beloved. I would keep all of that stuff (indeed, I have), but you could probably sell it through NobleKnight Games if you were inclined to do so. I'm always looking at that site with jealous eyes...

Arbitrarity
2007-06-14, 07:27 PM
www.planewalker.com

Damionte
2007-06-14, 08:44 PM
If you absolutely have to get rid of stuff, get rid of anything that has already been updated with new source material.

For instance anything forgottem Realms is safe to sell off, or donate to your local used book store.

Ditto
2007-06-14, 09:19 PM
Psst! I know someone who would very probably be interested in picking up the Star Wars d6 books... he likes it much better than the d20 system, and can't find the old books anywhere.

bosssmiley
2007-06-15, 01:44 PM
eBay.com
Bookcrossing.com
Freecycle.co.uk

(depending on how much time you have to spare and whether you want to turn a profit or not)

Never chuck a book when it can go to a good home! :smallwink: