PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Tattoos Question

SangoProduction
2015-12-31, 07:36 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/psionicTattoos.htm

Can you put a level 1 psionic power in a level 2 or 3 tattoo, and have the new "minimum manifester level" of said level? Are psionic Tattoos ever Augmented?

FocusWolf413
2015-12-31, 09:11 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the price for a tattoo is power level × power points spent × 50. Just follow the same formula for augmented powers.

For example, if you spend 3 ppts on a 1st level power, it's 1×3×50=150gp.

You just need the feat.

SangoProduction
2015-12-31, 06:25 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the price for a tattoo is power level × power points spent × 50. Just follow the same formula for augmented powers.

For example, if you spend 3 ppts on a 1st level power, it's 1×3×50=150gp.

You just need the feat.

The SRD doesn't say anything about that, far as I can see. Can you point me to the book where this rule is written?

Jeraa
2015-12-31, 07:54 PM
The SRD doesn't say anything about that, far as I can see. Can you point me to the book where this rule is written?

From the description of psionic items:

For psionic tattoos, power stones, and dorjes, the creator can set the manifester level of an item at any number high enough to manifest the stored power and not higher than her own manifester level. For other psionic items, the item itself determines the manifester level. In this case, the creator’s manifester level must be as high as the item’s manifester level (and prerequisites may effectively put a higher minimum on the creator’s level).

mabriss lethe
2015-12-31, 10:41 PM
Or, if you want things to get really nuts, update the "Getting Wired" rules to 3.5 and go wild.

Getting Wired. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20031225a)

atemu1234
2015-12-31, 11:54 PM
From the description of psionic items:

This means that theoretically, you can empower or enlarge or whatever a power and put it in an item.

Jeraa
2016-01-01, 12:08 AM
This means that theoretically, you can empower or enlarge or whatever a power and put it in an item.

You can. That is even spelled out in the rules:

Psionic Items and Metapsionic Powers

With the right psionic item creation feat, you can store a metapsionic power in a power stone, psionic tattoo, or dorje. Level limits for psionic tattoos apply to the power’s higher metapsionic level.

A character doesn’t need the appropriate metapsionic feat to activate an item in which a metapsionic power is stored, but does need the metapsionic feat to create such an item.

Problem is, there is no such thing as a "metapsionic level". Metapsionic feats don't increase the powers level, just its point cost. However, not all metapsionic feats have a point cost increase. How you would apply those I'm not sure.

torrasque666
2016-01-01, 12:53 AM
You can. That is even spelled out in the rules:

Problem is, there is no such thing as a "metapsionic level". Metapsionic feats don't increase the powers level, just its point cost. However, not all metapsionic feats have a point cost increase. How you would apply those I'm not sure.
Which ones don't? I could have sworn they all did, roughly 2 extra PP for every extra level that the magical version would cost.

Jeraa
2016-01-01, 12:58 AM
Which ones don't? I could have sworn they all did, roughly 2 extra PP for every extra level that the magical version would cost.

As far as I know, Enlarge Power may be the only one. As metapsionic feats also require you to expend your psionic focus, there is still a cost for manifesting a power with Enlarge Power added. However, items don't take that into account, as the cost is only determined by the power level and power points spent.

FocusWolf413
2016-01-01, 02:46 AM
The formula isn't directly stated, but a little algebra goes a long way. In the srd, it gives the Power Level, PP, and cost. Just solve for the missing constant.