PDA

View Full Version : Winter Soldier

Noldo
2015-12-31, 09:23 AM
Am I losing much if I watch Captain America: Winter Soldier before seeing Captain America and/or Avengers?

GloatingSwine
2015-12-31, 10:21 AM
As long as you know what Steve Rogers' deal is and who Bucky is and why he matters*, not really.

Oh, and some aliens happened to New York. That might come up.

* And even then the significant part of this happens as part of the dull montage bit of TFA which came after the good bit of the film was already finished.

DiscipleofBob
2015-12-31, 10:30 AM
Am I losing much if I watch Captain America: Winter Soldier before seeing Captain America and/or Avengers?

As long as you get the basic concept behind Captain America, you'll probably be fine.

There are at least two major reveals that probably lose some impact if you haven't see TFA, or have you at least wondering "wait am I supposed to know this guy?"

Legato Endless
2015-12-31, 10:34 AM
No. Besides Cap visiting an old friend in the modern era after not seeing her for decades, there's isn't a lot of connection to the first film, which is mostly meet the characters and treck across war torn Europe. Both Avengers are a weird example as while they have some character development, it's arguable if it's consistent with the character development of other films the character's appear in.

You should be fine just jumping into Cap 2.

Edit: I don't think the second character is hard to parse though, because they immediately follow his reintroduction with a montage about his history, motives and what he's been doing since we least saw him. The twist is lost, but it's not really a big part of the film.

Tyndmyr
2015-12-31, 10:52 AM
Nah, you should be fine.

The important bit is to watch both before we get to Civil War.

GloatingSwine
2015-12-31, 09:46 PM
Civil War in the movieverse is "Tony and Steve have a sad".

You may not need to watch anything to understand it.

Dragonus45
2016-01-02, 01:33 PM
Civil War in the movieverse is "Tony and Steve have a sad".

You may not need to watch anything to understand it.

I imagine that if your going to really get the context of the sad and why they are having it you will at least want to watch all the movies they are it.

Lord Ruby34
2016-01-02, 01:56 PM

As long as you end up watching them all you'll be fine. While I would suggest watching them in the intended order you don't necessarily need to. I would make sure you watch all of them though, because all three movies are great.

DiscipleofBob
2016-01-02, 04:49 PM
Actually from the trailers it sounds like Age of Ultron is more of a required viewing for Civil War then either TFA, WS, or Avengers.