PDA

View Full Version : OrcPub: Online D&D 5E Tools

redorc
2015-12-31, 10:25 AM
Hi All,

I have created a set online D&D 5e tools called OrcPub and would love feedback if anyone has some. Currently, it is mostly a character builder that exports to the official D&D 5e character sheet PDFs, but you can also create spells, races, classes, and backgrounds and use those in your character builds. It also works great as an in-game spell reference. Right now it's pretty basic and probably most useful for those just using the Basic Rules, those using a lot of homebrew content, or those who don't mind entering the data for their favorite published content. I, however, plan to add a lot more improvements and tools to the application and am hoping to work out some kind of licensing with WotC and other publishers to include their content. Thanks!

RedOrc,
Supreme Leader,
OrcPub.com

Mad Puppy
2016-01-01, 10:56 AM
might help to add a Link?

JNAProductions
2016-01-01, 11:00 AM
Can't add links till you've had at least ten posts.

So, Red Orc, I would advise participating in the forum a little, then you can post a link.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-01, 12:36 PM
might help to add a Link?

Google-Fu is your friend :smallwink:

Can't add links till you've had at least ten posts.

So, Red Orc, I would advise participating in the forum a little, then you can post a link.

I wasn't aware of this, but yeah, seems like Red Orc is just using this as an advertisement medium and not a place of discussion.

JNAProductions
2016-01-01, 12:49 PM
Still D&D based, so I think it's reasonable to post an ad for it here.

So long as it's free to view, though-linking to things you have to pay for is against forum rules.

Bgharcourt
2016-01-04, 07:38 AM
so I checked it out, and not bad. I need more time to explore it more in-depth, but I like what I see so far. Thought my only gripe is no Eladrin sub race( this is common in most 5e tools I have found)

redorc
2016-01-05, 12:29 AM
Sorry folks, I intended to keep up with this thread, but I thought I would get emails about responses. Anyway, I would love to respond to any feedback anyone has. I will post a link when I can.

redorc
2016-01-05, 12:35 AM
Bgharcourt, thanks for the feedback, at this point I unfortunately cannot add any content beyond the Basic Rules for copyright reasons, which is why I don't have the Eladrin subrace. You can add it with the Race Builder. I'm also going to work out something so that I can add content from other sources.

Bgharcourt
2016-01-05, 03:35 AM
Bgharcourt, thanks for the feedback, at this point I unfortunately cannot add any content beyond the Basic Rules for copyright reasons, which is why I don't have the Eladrin subrace. You can add it with the Race Builder. I'm also going to work out something so that I can add content from other sources.

Yeah, as soon as I went back to it, I found the Race Builder feature. It is quite handy for a DM looking to homebrew. The UI is bang on, and I am really digg'n the custom spell cards.

I am working on a 5e homebrew for my 7 year old son and his friends. The premise is they are the children of retired adventures, so the spells and abilities need to be powered down(they are playing their ages) and I plan on using OrcPub for most, if not all the adventure.

Thanks for all the hard work.

Hudsonian
2016-01-05, 03:13 PM
As a note, I tried to build an elf rogue and it had hand crossbow in the listed proficiencies, but did not give proficiency bonus on the weapon when added.

Also, I noticed that after I removed a level of fighter from my character, the hit points remained the same. So when I exported the PDF I had a lvl 3 rogue with 34 hit points. Which is not possible with the +1 con modifier.

Anyways, I think it still has some bugs, but it is a pretty brilliant site otherwise.

Quasikaze
2016-01-05, 03:58 PM
I'd recommend changing the bright red to a more muted, darker red. The shade of red you currently have is incredibly bright and harsh on the eyes.

redorc
2016-01-05, 08:19 PM
Yeah, as soon as I went back to it, I found the Race Builder feature. It is quite handy for a DM looking to homebrew. The UI is bang on, and I am really digg'n the custom spell cards.

I am working on a 5e homebrew for my 7 year old son and his friends. The premise is they are the children of retired adventures, so the spells and abilities need to be powered down(they are playing their ages) and I plan on using OrcPub for most, if not all the adventure.

Thanks for all the hard work.

Thank you so much for the additional feedback. The game for your son and friends sounds like a great idea, I love to hear how it goes.

redorc
2016-01-05, 08:21 PM
As a note, I tried to build an elf rogue and it had hand crossbow in the listed proficiencies, but did not give proficiency bonus on the weapon when added.

Also, I noticed that after I removed a level of fighter from my character, the hit points remained the same. So when I exported the PDF I had a lvl 3 rogue with 34 hit points. Which is not possible with the +1 con modifier.

Anyways, I think it still has some bugs, but it is a pretty brilliant site otherwise.

Excellent catches, it is greatly appreciated, I will fix those ASAP. Please let me know if you find anything else.

redorc
2016-01-05, 08:23 PM
I'd recommend changing the bright red to a more muted, darker red. The shade of red you currently have is incredibly bright and harsh on the eyes.

Thank you much for the feedback, I hadn't realized that it might be too bright. I'll look into toning it down.

redorc
2016-01-05, 11:31 PM

I toned the red down signficantly, please check it out and let me know if seems less obnoxious. Thanks!

Rusvul
2016-01-06, 12:13 AM
Good on you, the site works well and is user-friendly. The biggest flaw I see is that you're limited to D&D Basic... Suboptimal, but unavoidable, really.

It's a neat way of creating homebrew, though, certainly. I'd definitely consider it as a way of keeping track of things.

jkat718
2016-01-06, 11:36 AM
Redorc, if you want to get email updates about this thread, look at the right hand side of the page, just above your first post. You'll see a dropdown list called "Thread Tools" which contains an item "Subscribe to this Thread..." When you click on it, you will be prompted to choose your subscription type. Here, you can select "Instant notification by email" (or another option, if you so choose). Hit the "Add Subscription" button and you're all done! :smallbiggrin: Welcome to the GitP Forums!

redorc
2016-01-06, 08:15 PM
Redorc, if you want to get email updates about this thread, look at the right hand side of the page, just above your first post. You'll see a dropdown list called "Thread Tools" which contains an item "Subscribe to this Thread..." When you click on it, you will be prompted to choose your subscription type. Here, you can select "Instant notification by email" (or another option, if you so choose). Hit the "Add Subscription" button and you're all done! :smallbiggrin: Welcome to the GitP Forums!

Thank you much jkat718.

redorc
2016-01-06, 09:08 PM
Good on you, the site works well and is user-friendly. The biggest flaw I see is that you're limited to D&D Basic... Suboptimal, but unavoidable, really.

It's a neat way of creating homebrew, though, certainly. I'd definitely consider it as a way of keeping track of things.

Thanks for the feedback Rusvul, I hope to remedy the D&D Basic problem soon.

redorc
2016-01-06, 09:59 PM

Thank you so much for finding these, Hudsonian, I believe I have the HP issue fixed. I will fix the proficiency issue soon as well.

redorc
2016-01-06, 10:01 PM
Woohoo, 10 posts. Here's the link (finally) to the D&D 5e Character Builder (http://www.orcpub.com). Thanks again for all the feedback.

JumboWheat01
2016-01-06, 10:27 PM
It's a pity WotC is so... particular... about letting non-Free Edition stuff up for digital builders. It would be so much easier to just go *boop* "Ah, there's my character, and the spells / equipment they have," without having to try to find my paperwork or even read my hand writing. Plus it's easier to update digital forms. Paperwork gets a little nasty looking after so many erasings.

Nice site, redorc. I'll keep it bookmarked.

Kurt Kurageous
2016-01-07, 08:12 PM
It's a pity WotC is so... particular... about letting non-Free Edition stuff up for digital builders.
Given that the site allows one to create classes and races, what's to stop one from typing up the missing pieces from PHB and dropping them in under not-so-cleverly similar names and then making them accessible through a "view other's ideas" thing? Either that, or I do it myself and only for myself.

Yes, this would be a workaround, but pathguy's generator http://www.pathguy.com/ddnext.htm is also waiting for the day WoTC lets him show more than D&D basic, too. Orcpub seems poised to jump that gap as well.

uly
2016-07-19, 01:19 PM
Hi RedOrc,

Just came across OrcPub. It's the best online character sheet tool I've seen so far -- but with one glaring omission that makes it unusable:

Where's the equipment list?

Anyway, good work so far. I hope you get around to adding the equipment (and money pouch, etc.) to OrcPub!

JeffreyGator
2016-07-19, 04:42 PM
Nice and easy to enter my character mostly. Took hardly any time.

Two missing things I noticed.

Designating expertise skills would be nice for rogues and bards.

Clicking +New and Random buttons both had the same result. I expected +new to give me a blank option.