PDA

View Full Version : My Ranger Archetype: Field Medic. Feedback please!

TentacleSurpris
2015-12-31, 11:16 AM
Hihi Playgrounders

Here is my Ranger Archetype. The vision I have of the Ranger class is someone that you really want with you in the wilderness because they will help your group survive. They are guides. They help the party find their courage.

My inspiration comes from Aragorn guiding the Hobbits from Bree to Rivendell in the Fellowship of the Ring. He took four scared hobbits and taught them to find strength within themselves, he healed Bilbo with plants, he kept watch at night, he defended them from attacks. Part of the inspiration also comes from the bad guy in the Disney movie Mulan, who has a badass falcon. This archetype has more of a "tanking" role, so it doesn't gain the damage bonus that the Hunter gets at 3rd level but its defensive abilities are stronger. By keeping the party alive longer, more damage is dealt over time.

This archetype favors the duelling + shield combat style or the defensive combat style, for the ability to withstand attacks.

(Note, I am of the opinion that a Familiar cannot provide the Help action on an attack roll, because page 175 of the PHB states that you can only Help on a task which you can perform alone, and since a familiar cannot attack alone, it cannot Help with an attack. This way, a familiar isn't an overpowered permanent True Strike every round. Sage Advice disagrees with me, but I think my interpretation is RAW and RAB. The archetype is balanced with this interpretation in mind).

Field Medic

3: At 3rd level, the Field medic gains the following two abilities Rest Well Under My Watch and Extra Set of Eyes:

Rest Well Under My Watch: During a Long or Short Rest, a party can concentrate on resting while a Field Medic watches over them and applies energizing herbal remedies. Using these survivalist techniques, a Field Medic gains temporary hit points equal to his Ranger level plus his Wisdom modifier. Up to six friendly creatures each gain temporary hit points equal to half this amount. So long as a Field medic has access to a Herbalist kit and forages occasionally during his spare time, he is considered to have access to the necessary components.

A field Medic also gains proficiency in the Medicine skill and the Herbalist Kit if he does not have it, or another Ranger Skill or Tool if he does (as appropriate).

Extra Set of Eyes: A Field Medic adds the Find Familiar spell to his spells known. A Field Medics familiar retains the Animal type instead of gaining the Fey, Fiend, or Celestial type.

Medics typically use their familiars to apply Cure Wounds spells on the battlefield without needing to move, and to keep watch at night. Owls make popular familiars for this reason. Note that the Familiar may receive the benefit of the temporary hit points from the previous ability as one of the six friendly creatures.

Potion Infusion: Starting at 7th level, during a Long Rest, a Field Medic may quickly brew volatile potions of healing or improve existing potions. A field medic may brew or improve a number of volatile Potions of Healing equal to his Wisdom modifier. The medic may improve existing (non-volatile) potions of healing to volatile potions of greater healing. Existing (non-volatile) potions of greater healing can be similarly upgraded to volatile potions of superior healing.

The potions brewed this way, or the improvements made this way are volatile and become ineffective after 24 hours. Improved and Superior potions revert to their original potency. The medic does this with components gathered using a herbalist kit while foraging during his spare time. These potions cannot be sold for full value, as merchants recognize that they are volatile and temporary.

Natural Recovery: Casting curative magic is draining on a Medic's spells per day. Starting at 11th level, a field medic learns to recuperate part of his magic during a short rest. During a short rest, a field medic may recover spent spells at an amount of spell levels equal to half his ranger level. This feature may be used once before a medic completes a Long Rest.

They Are Under My Care: Starting at 15th level, a Field Medic interposes himself between attackers to defend his party, thereby lessening the need for healing. Whenever a hostile creature within 5' makes an attack, a Medic may take a Reaction to impose disadvantage on each attack that creature makes this round.

GlenSmash!
2015-12-31, 01:03 PM
It's funny, If I were making a Ranger subclass based in part on Aragorn I would never think to expand the spellcasting. That being said I really like what you've done here.

PoeticDwarf
2016-01-01, 05:36 AM
I think this is really cool, and probably balanced maybe even little bit weak, but this has to be on the homebrew forum !

djreynolds
2016-01-03, 01:32 AM
Excellent, simply excellent idea

Hairfish
2016-01-03, 03:14 AM
You might consider adding a little more utility to the 3rd and/or 15th level abilities if the opinion is that this is underpowered:

3rd - The ranger may Use an Object as a bonus action, if that object is a healer's kit.

15th - The ranger may instead use the reaction granted by this ability to Use an Object, if that object is a healer's kit.

These additions expand on the limited "field medic" capabilities of a Thief-archetype Rogue and are intended to make the Healer feat a more attractive choice.

Toadkiller
2016-01-03, 03:18 AM
Seems very reasonable, but perhaps a bit weak. Would add at least one directly offense oriented capability.

djreynolds
2016-01-03, 07:21 AM
Give them action surge when trying to get to the wounded. Or sentinel like ability or protection like for their reaction.