PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Looking for protection against dazing

Kol Korran
2015-12-31, 11:54 AM
On of the PCs (A 15th level sorcerer, who invested heavily in metamagic) Has a new trick- the dazing spell. With various sort of reducers and such, it is a very viable tactic (Dazing are of effect spells especially, to take out multiple foes).

One of their major upcoming opponents has learned quite extensively about them. She is a Nephilim evil cleric 11/ hierophant 6 (Mythic rules. Don't matter much, but assume she can access any clerical spells up to 6th level at will, due to mythic powers). She also has a lot of potential magical back up, so magical items may be fairly easy to acquire, if not super powerful.

As she has learned about them, I'm looking for a way for her to be able to counter the dazing effect. Perhaps not fully, but give her a good chance to not be affected by it, as it's basically "game over" if he does, and a boring battle.

Any ideas? clerical spells (better if up to 6th level but a scroll/ boon of a higher level spells, possibly even an arcane one is possible), magic item? feat? Something else?

I'd prefer stuff that doesn't fully rely just on pumping saving throws or SR. the sorcerer is quite competent at overcoming those.

Thanks in advance, Kol.

Malimar
2015-12-31, 04:06 PM
Consider the options under "Daze negation" here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items). Also these (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=10449509&postcount=46).

Beheld
2015-12-31, 04:13 PM
Get an Intelligent Item that can Heal you with its actions.

avr
2015-12-31, 07:37 PM
if the sorc always leads with one spell in particular (& it's 4th level or lower), the spell immunity spell will stop that.

If the sorcerer uses some damage type by preference, at least at first, protection from energy will buy time. Dazing only triggers if you actually take damage.

Any means of avoiding being targeted - being invisible while minions take the hit, etc - will help.

If the cleric has minions who can dispel magic, counterspelling is an option.

If all else fails there's an item called a steel-mind cap in ultimate equipment which will downgrade daze to confused.

Yanisa
2015-12-31, 08:38 PM
If all else fails there's an item called a steel-mind cap in ultimate equipment which will downgrade daze to confused.

Item is based on the spell Surmount Affliction (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/surmount-affliction) which is also a way to temporary negate daze. The good part it's a second level cleric spell. The bad part it's a personal spell that lasts rounds per level... also temporary negation... and standard actions...

A mesmerist minion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/occult-adventures/occult-classes/mesmerist#TOC-Touch-Treatment-Su-) could also help.

avr
2016-01-01, 12:17 AM
I'm not sure surmount affliction really works on daze. The spell implies that you need to be suffering the condition before the spell is cast to 'surmount' it, and even with quicken spell you can't cast spells while dazed.

i.e. aside from uses with contingency or maybe on an animal companion or familiar, it's not the most useful spell.

atemu1234
2016-01-01, 12:35 AM
if the sorc always leads with one spell in particular (& it's 4th level or lower), the spell immunity spell will stop that.

If the sorcerer uses some damage type by preference, at least at first, protection from energy will buy time. Dazing only triggers if you actually take damage.

Any means of avoiding being targeted - being invisible while minions take the hit, etc - will help.

If the cleric has minions who can dispel magic, counterspelling is an option.

Or a counterspell-build can lead enemies against him.

LTwerewolf
2016-01-01, 01:03 AM
Ring of spell turning?

Endarire
2016-01-01, 08:28 PM
Spell Compendium (3.5) has the level 4 Paladin favor of the martyr spell. UMD a staff of it or somesuch.

Alternatively, GM fiat.

Psyren
2016-01-02, 01:22 AM
I'm not sure surmount affliction really works on daze. The spell implies that you need to be suffering the condition before the spell is cast to 'surmount' it, and even with quicken spell you can't cast spells while dazed.

i.e. aside from uses with contingency or maybe on an animal companion or familiar, it's not the most useful spell.

As written it will work even if the condition comes later; choose "Dazed" when it is cast and the magic will continue trying to suppress Dazed for the duration of the spell.