PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Suitable background for a paladin of the ancients

ShiningCrusader
2015-12-31, 03:11 PM
Hi everyone, i'm making a paladin of the ancients, and i'm having trouble picking a good background, though i have four i really like, the Entertainer: due to bringing joy to people, the Noble/kight: the do good-er with retainers. the Folk hero: hero of the people and the Outlander: nature fluff.
what do you think would be a good combo/backstory?

Edit: oh if it helps he's Chaotic good, jolly, wields sword and board. don't know if any of this helps though.

Tanarii
2015-12-31, 04:09 PM
Do you care about your Proficiencies matching ability scores (or vice versa)? If so:
Entertainers are agile & charismatic.
Nobles are smart & charismatic.
Folk Heros are wise.
Outlanders are strong and wise.

Also both Outlanders and Entertainers know how to play a musical instrument. Folk Heroes are one of the few that learn Artisans Tool proficiency.

Outlanders Feature is awesome btw. One of the best.

IMO backstory is less important than detailing character motivations. Be it informal, or formally using the 5e personality rules. Regardless of how you do it, be aware than backstory and motivations aren't the same thing. The former is just a narration of events. The latter lets you figure out how to get in character while playing the game.

deathbymanga
2015-12-31, 04:14 PM
Folk Heroes also get Animal Handling which in addition to Find Steed makes you a very good animal user, even if you aren't a ranger.

JoeJ
2015-12-31, 04:21 PM
How did this character become a paladin? Did he choose it, or was he called by someone or something greater than himself? How did he learn his various abilities? Did he have a teacher? Did they just spontaneously appear? Something else?

I'd create the story first, and then see what background fits best.