PDA

View Full Version : Weirdness with Darkness and Devil's Sight

Dalebert
2015-12-31, 03:51 PM
You see normally in darkness including magical darkness. The only time your vision would be impaired is in dim light, but not even then if you also have darkvision. So can you even tell when it's dark or not? I imagine it would be weird. Your party members will point out a spot of darkness and you don't know what they're talking about. If you cast the Darkness yourself, you would know if it's still going or not but you'd just have to kind of guess where the edges of the effect are.

You'd have to get used to sleeping in full brightness. I suppose you'd probably invest in a blindfold because solid barriers would still keep light out.

Sitri
2015-12-31, 04:10 PM
There could be some odd interactions here both with dim light and knowing/remembering where the darkness is.

As for the sleeping, I assume you would get used to it, just like some people sleep with noise and some don't. Your eyelids also provide a pretty decent amount of information filtering.

For a real life example of light and sleep, my bunk mate while I was in Tech School for the Air Force had some kind of condition where he had to blink with his whole face. His eyes were always open while he was sleeping; sometimes this was creepy. Just because there was light in the room, he didn't automatically wake up.

Toadkiller
2015-12-31, 08:19 PM
There is also the question of if the devil's sight is always on. I'm planning it for a warlock character in a few levels. Planning to fluff it as on/off, but that's just me. I want his eyes to appear to change, just for the silly.

SharkForce
2015-12-31, 08:25 PM
i would expect that you are aware of when it is working. nothing indicates you can't tell the difference, the default is that you can, and since nothing changed in that regard just stick with the default.

Regwon
2015-12-31, 11:15 PM
You see normally in darkness including magical darkness. The only time your vision would be impaired is in dim light, but not even then if you also have darkvision. So can you even tell when it's dark or not? I imagine it would be weird. Your party members will point out a spot of darkness and you don't know what they're talking about. If you cast the Darkness yourself, you would know if it's still going or not but you'd just have to kind of guess where the edges of the effect are.

You'd have to get used to sleeping in full brightness. I suppose you'd probably invest in a blindfold because solid barriers would still keep light out.

Can you not see colours? Can you not differentiate between something in direct light and something in shadow? Just because you can see both clearly in the light of day does not mean you cant tell the difference. If you can distinguish between shades of grey, your warlock can tell what is in darkness and what isn't.

Also you have almost certainly slept while it has been very bright. Your eyelids work perfectly well at making dark enough for you to sleep when you need to, even if its not something that youre used to.

Zalabim
2016-01-01, 03:53 AM
The really tricky sleep thing is sleeping while invisible with One With Shadows. Making the area bright doesn't dispel the invisibility, but well, invisible eyelids.

Dalebert
2016-01-01, 11:56 AM
The really tricky sleep thing is sleeping while invisible with One With Shadows. Making the area bright doesn't dispel the invisibility, but well, invisible eyelids.

Are you talking about the Shadow Monk 11th level ability, Cloak of Shadows? Making the area bright does dispel it. However, you just brought up another point. If you have Devil's Sight and you're invisible (including your eyelids) now you still see everything fine even with your eyes closed and it thus appears as if there's bright light.

Zalabim
2016-01-02, 03:46 AM
No, I'm talking about the Warlock 5th level Invocation, One With Shadows.