PDA

View Full Version : System suggestions for undersea setting

Rhyvurg
2015-12-31, 05:56 PM
I had an idea today for an underwater setting, after the polar ice caps were hit by ice comets carrying alien bacteria that have mutated many forms of sea life. There would be monsters, sub battles, political conflict in Not Atlantis, I just need a system that can portray all this. I play Exalted 2.5 and 3e, DnD 3.5 and 5e, M&M second and third edition, NWOD, Legend (that really deserves more attention), the Dresden Files RPG, and Scion, and none of them really seem to fit. If the solution is GURPS I'm not...unwilling to try it, I just really hope that's not it.

Mothman
2016-01-01, 02:37 AM
Pathfinder RPG (aka D&D 3.75) has a large number of underwater creatures and underwater PC races and a monster generator for anything specific.

you can take a look at the game for free by going to the Pathfinder Reference Document, its well organized and just got updated a little while ago

Fenrir Lokison
2016-01-02, 02:00 PM
I personally like a lot of the undersea stuff that Palladium Books does. Especially when it concerns an alternate future Earth which is a combination of technology, the supernatural, and even sci-fiction.

Eisenheim
2016-01-02, 04:36 PM
Maybe fate core? It should be easy to pick up if you're familiar with Dresden Files. It's basically a more streamlined, setting-agnostic version of the same system.

Kryztyfyr
2016-01-02, 05:21 PM
Swords and Wizardry, using the Aquatic Depths & Denizens rules supplement from Spes Magna Games. :smallbiggrin:

If not, then Fate Accelerated or Risus the Anything RPG could work.

--Christopher Chance

Thrawn4
2016-01-02, 05:32 PM
Lodland should fit the bill, but afaik it is only available in German.

legomaster00156
2016-01-03, 04:43 PM
As a matter of fact, I highly, highly recommend Pathfinder. However, don't use core. Instead, use the third-party Cerulean Seas setting. It is rich in content and advice for underwater adventures, whether saltwater, freshwater, deep sea, or arctic. It's a fantastic setting on its own, even, but you need not use setting-specific stuff from it.