PDA

View Full Version : Extended Reach question

SangoProduction
2016-01-01, 02:04 AM
Prerequisite: feeler, nonrigid body or a nonrigid attack form such as a tentacle, or pseudopod, Small or larger size,

Benefit: Your body or a part of your body with which you can deliver a melee attack is boneless and flexible, allowing you to threaten a larger than normal area with melee attacks. Add +5 feet to your normal reach.

It does not say "the part of your body that is boneless and flexible" is just says "your body is boneless and flexible", and it simply increases your normal reach, so there should be no restriction to the attacks that it applies to, right? Kinda cool that a single feat can change your entire anatomy in D&D.

I believe I am right, but I'm asking in case I am not right, and I am just missing something incredibly obvious.

John Longarrow
2016-01-01, 02:46 AM
Take a look at the prereqs. This is intended to be applied to a creature that is already very flexible, such as a Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus or a mimic. Most PCs won't be able to access this feat. As such there are no game statistic changes except the extension of reach.

You cannot take this feat then try to justify being able to do something else based on having it. You could not try to say it lets you move through a smaller opening, or climb better, or move through tunnels easier.

SangoProduction
2016-01-01, 03:22 AM
Take a look at the prereqs. This is intended to be applied to a creature that is already very flexible, such as a Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus or a mimic. Most PCs won't be able to access this feat. As such there are no game statistic changes except the extension of reach.

You cannot take this feat then try to justify being able to do something else based on having it. You could not try to say it lets you move through a smaller opening, or climb better, or move through tunnels easier.

I wasn't saying that you could justify doing anything else based on it. I was just noting the oddity of the feat with that statement. The only thing I actually wondered was "does it actually increase all of your attack forms' reach"?

Cerefel
2016-01-01, 03:26 AM
Would a warshaper with morphic reach qualify without the typo?

SangoProduction
2016-01-01, 03:45 AM

Since you can shape shift, I presume you could make your body "become" nonrigid, and thus qualify. It's not much of a stretch (heh), considering that you can shift your vital organs around such to be immune to critical hits and sneak attacks (or whatever other fluff you decide on). Dunno what typo you are talking about, aside from the poorly formatted prerequisites.

Just read the ability. Yeah, stretching tends to not be "rigid". I would agree a warshaper with that could qualify.

MisterKaws
2016-01-01, 04:49 AM

Morphic weapons can give you tentacle attacks, and doing this with monk even allows for really strange shenanigans, like having a 6-meter genitalia.

SangoProduction
2016-01-01, 04:52 AM
Morphic weapons can give you tentacle attacks, and doing this with monk even allows for really strange shenanigans, like having a 6-meter genitalia.

OK. I'm done. lol.