PDA

View Full Version : "New" Brightland campaign (IC)

Pages : [1] 2

Edgar Snow
2016-01-01, 12:47 PM
OOC thread link
(http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?473346-The-quot-New-quot-Land-of-Brightland-OOC)
Character reference:

Backwaterj's Lamyria Zhong'Qin (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=660050)
CWater's Kimi Riveer (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html?id=659923)
lenon3579's Reeve Kester (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=660351)
dextercorvia's Brother Andre (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=737129)
Triskavanski's Picho Mystil (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=457210)

Edgar Snow
2016-01-01, 01:16 PM
You awake, with a sense of freedom. Your hard work has paid off, and you are considered to be trained in your particular field, ready to leave Squiretown behind after five years.

The air is still cool. It is the middle of the spring season, and the dew still lingers on the new grass covering the Shimmering Plains until late morning. While today is your last full day in Squiretown, there are still things to attend to.

You have been made aware that, in years past, the morning is yours to do as you wish: visit people one last time, talk with headmasters, or even hide in the library. The afternoon is reserved for special ceremonies, some of which combine parts of the different specialties. The rest is spent as a chance to work on, or perhaps show off, your skills. Some people choose to have competitions with other students, but for most it is a chance to get in some last minute practice with the Academy's resources.

How would you like to spend your morning?

Certain members of the Knights, the Delvers, and the Primals are to meet in the Knights' field for a special presentation in the afternoon. While the specifics are vague, the work of a student rather than an instructor is the topic.
Certain members of the Dragons, the Church, and the Primals are to meet in the small stone court behind the Dragons' building for a special presentation in the afternoon. While the specifics are vague, a temporary wooden fence has been under construction in the past two days that cuts off the view from the rest of the Academy. The host is Smokebeard. Whitechurch has already left Squiretown.
A quick few raps on your door shakes you awake in the morning. Before you have time to fully understand the source of the sound, you see a piece of paper slide under your door. On it reads, "Come down to the K's field later. Might like it. - JJ". You know the name as Jimmy Jamieson. He worked with you and the Knights headmaster, Lt. Crouse, in order to find the perfect balance for your unique weapon of choice.

redzimmer
2016-01-01, 01:46 PM
Sigurd

Finally! Today I shall be proven worthy of my Grandfather's axe!

Tradition said he would need to have the axe blessed by a God of War.

Then onto this odd Softlander ceremony.

backwaterj
2016-01-02, 02:40 AM
How busy the town has become on this day. To them it is a day of leaving, of exploration, of new beginnings. Do they take it, as I do, as an occasion to look back as well as forward? To honor the past as one anticipates the future?

The idle thoughts flew unbidden through her mind as she spent the morning as she spent every one which she was able: centering her body, mind, soul, and spirit in attunement with the Shen. It took place today near a sheltered pool within the Primal Academy's more remote reaches, beginning with a series of stretches and proceeding into the Forms of the Five Elements, a ritual which many outsiders described as a dance, but to Lamyria was simply an attunement to the spirits within.

Yet the spirits are so strange here. They are as kind, as fickle, as unforgiving and as resolute, but . . . it is as if they speak a different dialect, or dance to a different rhythm. It will be . . . good to be outside the walls again.

Perhaps it was nerves. She did not look forward to the din of the coming ceremony, though she knew that was a necessary discomfort. In the meantime, there was at least the "special presentation" to pique her interest.

Her stomach's loud grumble broke the serenity of her meditation, reminding her she'd been up for three hours now with no nourishment.

Yes, you're right, of course. It's past time to see what sort of produce they have in town.

CWater
2016-01-02, 02:43 AM
Kimi wakes up dishevelled and groggy, falls out of bed and crawls across the room with the firm resolution to smack anyone who dared to disturb good people's sleep so early in the morning. Unfortunately the culprit is already long gone by the time sleepyhead makes it to the door. But there is a note. Jimmy? Ah well, wouldn't have minded some more mysterious sender, but I guess Jimmy will do. Wonder what he wants... Kimi thinks while trying the shake the rest of sleep dust away and find some proper clothes. It was an easier task than usual, since it was the last day here and the room had been mostly emptied and cleaned yesterday.

Kimi grabbed the few things that remained, including the curious sword that looked almost like a polearm when sheathed (designing a scabbard that worked for it had been a headache on its own!), and set out. Might as well check out what JJ had in mind before it was time to leave town.

Edgar Snow
2016-01-02, 09:05 AM
Those part of the Church, from practicing students to Whitechurch himself, have been known to give you a wider path on your way to the shrine of Kord. While no one particular priest of Kord is at Squiretown, an elven archer you know as 'Zee' has come to your attention. He frequently tries to start archery competitions with the Knights and Primals, and acts of acrobatics with the Delvers.

there are no groves, just Plains. Pool of water perhaps?
One mild benefit to Squiretown is you've never been in danger of violating your imposed taboo. The mosaic of people and beliefs means that Squiretown is very accommodating. The trade routes ensure supplies can make it all the way from the Great Forest, including some of your favorites at times. The rations, however, are crafted elsewhere..

Maybe it's the morning, although it is sunny and crisp. Maybe it's the commotion that's starting to pick up as others start their day. Whatever it is, you can not remember what it was that Jimmy was really working on, though you had to admit he has a talent mixed with great creativity.

redzimmer
2016-01-02, 10:04 AM
Sigurd

Adjusting his hides and splashing a label of water over his head, Sigurd decides he will pay a visit to the peculiar elf 'Zee'.

A weapon never blessed is a mere tool, as everyone knew. A warrior would no sooner carry a tool into battle as would a mason cut stone with a sword.

lenon3579
2016-01-02, 09:06 PM
Reeve Kester wakes up early on the morning, his expression is one of mirth. He carefully bathes and dresses himself. Then he goes to the window and sits there, foot dangling in the air, looking to the horizon.

Finally I'll get out of here. Out of these walls. There's an Wide Open Road and I'll ride it to the end... if there *is* an end, of course.

Although he valued greatly all he learned in Squiretown and the opportunity it gave him to get out of the muddy pool of the streets of Sunnybrae, that last five years were mostly dull and boring. Reeve craved for the excitement of the Road, and longed for a chance to see all those fantastic lands he read about on the books and heard other people talking about.

[edited because I typoed the name of my own char]

CWater
2016-01-03, 12:52 AM
Kimi whistles merrily while heading towards the Knight's field, doing a few cartwheels on the way; if there is anyone to see them the better. The excitement of leaving was finally seeping through the morning grogginess and paved the way for an excellent mood. What was Jimmy working on now again? If Kimi's head held any memories that would have an answer to the question, they refused to surface. Well, if it's not something that'd make Crouse either stand dazed in awe or cry out in rage, I'll be much surprised.

backwaterj
2016-01-03, 01:10 AM
Lamyria strolled as casually as she could manage through the town square, munching on the apple she had selected as a palate-cleanser after studying her texts over a bowl of mixed grains. She had grown quite fond of the local fruit since her introduction to it. She nodded her thanks to fellow students and well-wishers with their congratulatory greetings but did not stop to speak.

Normally I would have classes to take, lessons to learn. Structure. All this free time is . . . disconcerting. Well, I suppose I'd best get used to freedom, if it is what this place has left to teach me.

As she padded barefoot through the streets (paying little heed to her direction) she scanned the crowd for something that might pique her interest.

Edgar Snow
2016-01-03, 10:29 AM
You will be happy to know that the plan to leave Squiretown tomorrow is just that. The ceremonial processions are all to be dealt with today, a final sleep, and to set out with a small group heading west in the early morning. While the trip is often described as a comfortable three days, this assumes a slow pace. You could easily do it in two, by foot, with little more than some water and rations. But, of course, that leaves little time for a new experience.

Edgar Snow
2016-01-03, 04:03 PM
It's as though almost everyone is outside by noon. Many people carry some amount of food and a canteen or waterskin, greeting people as they move in two distinct directions: towards the field of the Knights or the new pavilion behind the Dragons' place of study.

Reeve, you catch Kimi on his way toward the field. Ahead of both of you, you can just make out several archery targets through a few rows of students' head as they settle in to lines at the edge of the field.

Sigurd, you are also headed towards the field, but your attention is on the back of several students' heads, looking for pointed ears, and neglect to notice their focus.

Edgar Snow
2016-01-03, 06:23 PM
The majority of those offering their congratulations and friendly greetings are those from the Church and Dragons as they make their way towards the fenced off area.

Easily the most noticeable character in the mix is Cabbage, an older Halfling serving as the Academy's primary alchemist. Her clothes are old but well made, full of pockets that appear stuffed full...
Listen and Spot rolled
of what must be various materials and containers for her craft. With all the extra bulk in and under her clothes, you aren't surprised that she is moving at a slower pace than normal.
Roll for Spellcraft check

redzimmer
2016-01-03, 06:44 PM
Sigurd

Subtlety nor tact were part of Sigurd's curriculum at Knights Academy.

He finds the nearest person an imposes his large frame before them.

"You there! Where does One find the Elf Woman known as "Zee?!" I seek a boon of her!"

[roll0] Barbarian Google!

Bonus moron points if I just accosted one of the other PCs.

backwaterj
2016-01-03, 08:37 PM
[roll0] (I'll see what I can ascertain before approaching her)

Edgar Snow
2016-01-03, 08:42 PM
Sigurd: +2 on Gather Information check for knowledge of the small area... And it should take you only [roll0] hours if that was an actual use of the Gather Information skill

Kimi, you hear Sigurd's request.

Reeve, Sigurd's request is directed at you.

Reactions?

A quick glance reveals that the attention of the group, numbering about 20, is directed towards the field where Jimmy Jamieson and Zee are standing behind a table with some kind of strange looking crossbows.

Jimmy's "thesis" project was a self loading crossbow. His creations led to the light and heavy repeating crossbow. You remember him talking about it, but haven't seen the finished items.

She carries at least two spell component pouches, but that isn't strange. In her hands is a deep black gem of some kind. As such an item as a precious gem does not fit with her typical demeanour, you find it odd that she is concentrating on it as though it were an egg about to hatch. You guess it's related to magic, but nothing comes to mind. Certainly not anything Cabbage has used in your presence.

lenon3579
2016-01-04, 05:09 AM
Sigurd

"You there! Where does One find the Elf Woman known as "Zee?!" I seek a boon of her!"

Ho-hooo, big one. Calm down, because I have what you want. Or maybe. The Elf Zee I know of is a man, he is that archer with the strange-looking crossbows right there. Humpf, she still owns me a silver piece from the last time she came to the delvers and tried to compete in acrobatics with *me*. Can you believe it?

Bonus moron points if I just accosted one of the other PCs.

Indeed.

backwaterj
2016-01-04, 06:30 AM
"Master Patch!" Lamyria quickened her stride until she matched pace with the gnomish alchemist, bowing her head in deference as she drew alongside. "Forgive the intrusion, Master Patch, but I notice that you are heavy laden with your equipment this morning. Can I perhaps be of assistance?"

[roll0]

Edgar Snow
2016-01-04, 09:18 AM
Zee is, indeed, a young (by elf standards) male.
The commotion has led for Zee to turn his focus towards the crowd, rather than Jimmy, the weapons, or the targets.
"I'm awfully sorry, but was there someone else who would like to partake in this demonstration?", he says to the general crowd, with a wink clearly made in Sigurd's direction.

"Oh, what a wee sweetie you are. If you don' mind the burd'n, could you help meh off with this coat? I was out early, and it was a tad bit of a chilly morn," she replies. As she begins to move her arms out of the cloak with its many pockets, making sure that nothing falls out, you notice her grasp on the dark stone tightens [b]Spot check rolled].
"It's for the cer'mony, you see", as she meets your eyes.

redzimmer
2016-01-04, 10:30 AM
Sigurd

Sigurd colours slightly. He had never mastered the art of guessing elf gender on the first try.

But he recovers quickly enough. With a curt nod to the elf, Sigurd approaches the demonstrative set-up.

"More wondrous tools of war, no doubt? I would be honored."

The way he seems to slightly inflate when he say it implies Honour is a big deal to the barbarian.

Edgar Snow
2016-01-04, 11:55 AM
Jimmy begins: "I was going to talk a bit about them first. I mean, the mechanics behind the - "

"Oh come now Jimmy!" Zee interjects. Let's make this a bit of fun first, then we'll hear it all! My word on it. Come Sigurd, pick your weapon. I'm sure a brother of Kord would enjoy a little competition. Sure, it's not quite your usually choice," as he motions towards the table, "but take your shots!"

Jimmy, about to speak, closes his mouth and steps toward the crowd, facing the weapons and the three bullseye targets in the field.

Sigurd, you can pick between light or heavy repeating crossbow, and make up to 5 ranged attack rolls, preferably at an archery target 60 feet away, -4 for non- proficiency.

redzimmer
2016-01-04, 12:09 PM
Sigurd

"I pray that Kord will be pleased with my efforts!" the barbarian blusters, taking the unfamiliar heavy crossbow. He fires off the shots in quick succession, trying to compensate for the recoil.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

"Confounded Softlander contraption," he mutters under his breath.

lenon3579
2016-01-04, 01:28 PM
Reeve watches all this with non-hidden amusement. He does some "aahs" and "oohs" when Sigurd fired, and a Great, Big One" when he hits the mark. [OOC: I'm presuming that he hit with that higher roll].

Then he turns to Zee. Very nice trinket that one... nice done! Are they just for showing or can I get one?

redzimmer
2016-01-04, 01:48 PM
Sigurd

"A bizarre contraption, but the rate of fire may afford for the lower accuracy. May I try the lighter one as well?"

Not waiting an answer, Sigurd takes and fires the lighter repeating bow.

[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Mildly frustrated, Sigurd draws his belt dagger and tosses it at the target.

[roll]1d20+3 Whoops

"Perhaps this day bears ill omens. May Kord forgive my arrogance."

redzimmer
2016-01-04, 01:57 PM
Sigurd

Holding his shot until he is certain of his aim, Sigurd throws the dagger.

[roll0]

The dagger's range is well outside the distance of the target, and the barbarian broodily retrieves it.

"I shall stick with my axe in the future. On this subject, I seek the blessing of Kord upon this, my Grandfather's axe. It is bad luck to wield another's ancestral weapon with the Lord of Battle's accord."

Edgar Snow
2016-01-04, 02:16 PM
Zee quietly loads the light crossbow, takes aim at the target and proceeds to hit the target on 4 of his 5 shots, with 2 of them besting Sigurd's closest shot of the 10 total.

Jimmy moves over to him and takes out the empty case that housed the bolts, and does the same for the larger crossbow.

"These are the original prototypes," he replies towards Reeve. "Crouse took a copy of the plans to Sunnybrae a few weeks back. I guess Captain Baker took an interest".

Baker, you recall, is the head of the guard in Sunnybrae, which is also the home of Lt. Crouse and Jimmy's family.

"Since we have proven they work, but require a bit of skill, I could show you the changed sights, loading mechanism, the cartridge, and my custom trigger... Ya know, if you want. We could go over the particulars after the big feast in the evening".

backwaterj
2016-01-04, 04:42 PM
"It is . . . most beautiful," Lamyria says softly as her eyes stray from Cabbage's to the gem and then back again. She gladly takes the cloak and anything else the alchemist may care to hand her. "For the ceremony, you say? I must admit, I am intrigued."

[roll0]

lenon3579
2016-01-04, 06:41 PM
"These are the original prototypes," he replies towards Reeve. "Crouse took a copy of the plans to Sunnybrae a few weeks back. I guess Captain Baker took an interest".

Baker, you recall, is the head of the guard in Sunnybrae, which is also the home of Lt. Crouse and Jimmy's family.

"Since we have proven they work, but require a bit of skill, I could show you the changed sights, loading mechanism, the cartridge, and my custom trigger... Ya know, if you want. We could go over the particulars after the big feast in the evening".

*with eyes shining* Hmmm. I would really like to take a look at this. Seems like using a magical device, but instead of arcane word triggers there are mundane mechanisms. Can I give it a try, after you show me the way it works?

Edgar Snow
2016-01-04, 08:39 PM
"Kimi, Sigurd? Offer stand for you too. You just have to help me collect the shot bolt. I only have so many and even a few of them will end up breaking in the targets," says Jimmy.

Meanwhile...

You can't quite tell if Cabbage's excitement is for the presentation, the stone, the fact she has a secret, or some combination. "Quick quick now! We shall be tardy".
The role of the Church is minor. Because each student understand that different powers come from different Divine forces, it's little more than a quick prayer followed by examples of their spells. A dwarf "of the Forge" is casting a Burning Hands spell as you arrive.
"Fire domain, dear," says Cabbage, as though you had asked. "You take a seat, I must go find Master Smokebeard".

The event continues with a handful of students of the Church. The Dragons follow, but their act is slightly more impressive. Most are wizards, specialized in different schools. They blend Cantrips with 'metamagics', from a Ray of Shock to an extra long show of Dancing Lights.
Perhaps the most intriguing is a Conjurer you, albeit vaguely, know as Sylvester, who proceeds to stab hand with a dagger, then heal himself.

Cabbage emerges from the crowd with Smokebeard and moves to the center of the small pavilion. She has the gem in hand. Smokebeard carries a small burlap sack.

Speaking for them both, Cabbage says, "Y'all feel free to mingle. I'twill be just a moment!"

redzimmer
2016-01-04, 09:04 PM
Sigurd

"So then you will give Kord's blessing to my ace?"

These city folk always seemed to want something for something.

"Very well. I shall retrieve your bolt."

backwaterj
2016-01-04, 09:28 PM
Lamyria took in the impressive show of magics with a curiously blank expression, though those who knew her well would realize she was intently focused, committing as many of the subtleties of incantation and gesture as possible to memory for later study and reflection.

When asked to mingle, she all but grimaced.

Mingle. From what I've seen, that means either talk excessively about things of little consequence, pretend to listen with rapt attention, or stand clear and wait patiently for it to be over.

Lamyria's choice was clear: to stand in silence.

Edgar Snow
2016-01-04, 10:40 PM
Jimmy looks at you, Sigurd, in both confusion and awe.

"Umm, yeah, hey? I'm a craftsman at best. My family owns a hardware store. I make things that I can't use very well myself. I can bless things if you want, but I do not think it will help. Sorry?"

"Brother, come with me," says Zee in response. "We'll go to the Church. There we can both see the shrine of Kord. Then we can go eat a great meal. I have doubts that you need to gain much more knowledge of young Jimmy's devices than you do now".

Edgar Snow
2016-01-05, 12:25 AM
Lamyria:
The crowd contains mostly murmurs and whispers, of congratulations for the performers, and a few boisterous hollers and laughs. The noise drops by half when Smokebeard turns towards his audience, reaches into the bag, and pulls out two live chickens.

It drops to complete silence as he wraps his large hands around their heads and proceeds to snap both of their necks and drops the pair to the ground.

"Now listen up. You has all found yer way on a journey. Different paths and such. But here ye be. So, right. Know it be true, there are those that do some awful things with magic. May ye never find them. If ye do, ye gotta make sure to show 'em what's what".

"Oh silly old man. You're ramblin on," comes from Cabbage.

"Here's what it is. Evil is out ther. It takes more than a shield to block evil magic. Our land protects us from the worse kind, that which wretches away our essence, soul, spirit... Ta core of our being, whatev'r it be".

He takes the black gem, and begins to cast a spell over one of the dead birds.

redzimmer
2016-01-05, 01:44 AM
Sigurd

Sigurd follows Zee with no small relief. Odd weapons and strange bartering customs always confused him.

But to toast Lord Kord in His house, now that was something the Son of Rolf understood.

"Yes, Brother Elf! Let us give glory to the Lord!"

lenon3579
2016-01-05, 04:07 AM
Reeve shaked his head affirmatively and helped reunite the bolts.

I'm ready when you are ready.

backwaterj
2016-01-05, 05:43 AM
Lamyria narrowed her eyes slightly as Smokebeard produced the chickens, then murmured a few words in her native tongue, head bowed, after he snapped their necks. Spirits, grant us mercy for these lives that were taken.

As quickly as the words were said, she focused her attention once more on the ritual, her expression betraying none of the nagging unease which seemed to permeate the room. Now what could Master Smokebeard be up to, I wonder?

Spellcraft roll: [roll0]

Edgar Snow
2016-01-05, 09:06 AM
Kimi, Reeve: Jimmy begins his lesson, refusing to let you try to shoot the weapons until you hear a lecture on a component. Then he sends you to collect the bolts. Then how to put bolts in a mag. And repeat.
This will take until the evening meal

Sigurd:
As part of Zee's request, you head into the Knights' building so he may retrieve his "real weapon". You head to his room, which is at least twice as big as the one you've been in for the last five years. In his room you find a small armory. All of the weapons, you realize, are for ranged combat: shortbow here, javelin there, slings and bullets made from different materials. He grabs a thick, wooden longbow. "All set here, brother," as he motions towards the door.

Lamyria:
You know the term most often used when discussing the dead is "soul", usually as a willing soul to return to this world, at least from an academic point.

You recognize the school of necromancy, something often not publicly displayed because of its connection, real or not, with evil.

Smokebeard stuffs the black gem into the chicken's throat. You catch part of his utterance that sounds like a complete inversion of the divine power to raise dead.

The spell itself is over in less time than it took for him to take the chicken out of the bag and kill it. Immediately, its feathers flake off, some with large patches of skin. The muscles slide off the bones and the bird's innards, with no support, fall after. With only the skeleton remaing, you hear several gasps and cries as the bones move, turn slightly, and targets the boot of Smokebeard.

His response his a light, but deep chuckle. The bird, leaving no more than a scuff of the boots toe, begins to turn black, stop in place, and collapses in a pile of ashes by the time it hits the ground.

"No soul, y'see..." as he gestures to the pile.

redzimmer
2016-01-05, 11:31 AM
Sigurd

Sigurd notes the mounted weapons with an approving nod.

Real weapons. Warrior's weapons, not some mech-a-nik abomination!

He follows.

Chilimaggot
2016-01-05, 02:56 PM
Kurtulnezhad wakes later in the morning than he intended, the sun shining brightly on his face.

Muttering foul curses to himself, he stands up and draws the curtains closed. "Aaaah." he sighs, stretching in the new shade.

He bends to the ground and begins his prayers. He finishes by tracing a pentagram with an eye in the center out of the dust on his floor and dancing around it, his wooden holy symbol dangling from his teeth.

Wishing he had a hood and fumbling in his pocket for his favorite claw-polishing rock, he heads out the door and toward the Dragons building for the demonstration, filing away at his well-kept claws.

backwaterj
2016-01-05, 07:14 PM
Lamyria took a moment to swallow the lump of cold dread that had finally caught up with her. Relieved as she was that the chicken had not reanimated for more than a second or two, there was still something . . . dreadfully wrong about the whole thing, and a huge shock to see the respected Master invoking such fell energies.

Which was probably the point.

lenon3579
2016-01-06, 05:37 AM
Kimi, Reeve: Jimmy begins his lesson, refusing to let you try to shoot the weapons until you hear a lecture on a component. Then he sends you to collect the bolts. Then how to put bolts in a mag. And repeat.
This will take until the evening meal

At first Reeve looks very interested and is participative, but after a couple of minutes on his focus shift and he grows impatient and starts to daydreaming... until he sees one more shooting demonstration and thinks "C'mon, this may be useful, that trincket is a good one" and goes back to the interested fase again.

Until the evening meal, if nothing interferes.

Edgar Snow
2016-01-06, 08:17 AM
Sigurd,
your travels around the buildings end with you and Zee in front of the Shrine of Kord. While Zee is not a Cleric, he becomes trance-like and quiet - not something you would expect from the easy going, yet competitive, elf from the field. When he begins, you hear his prayers about overcoming his lack of strength; he asks for great courage and for even better luck.

When he is finished, he joins you in the expected prayers: rhythmic chanting and clapping that echos through the hall of shrines.

This takes you until the evening meal

Lamyria, and Kurtlenezhad,
it's as though Smokebeard has delivered the grand finale.
You hear whispered prayers, someone crying, and at least another towards the edge of the group sounds like they are vomiting. (Listen check rolled).

Smokebeard continues: "'Round now is when Whitechurch would say sometin' about the 'oly Sea, and its mist as a nat'ral holy water ocean. Too salty if you ask me. And same happens in the Mountains as with te Forest, so therr's THAT issue. Jus' don't go messing with people bodies and souls unless you plan on c'necting the pair. Death is far better than Undeath".

The presentation is over. Many members of the Church head towards their building. For some, it may be the last time to visit a shrine to their god for several days.

You have a short amount of time, about half of an hour, until the evening meal.

Chilimaggot
2016-01-06, 09:59 AM
Kurtulnezhad notes the failed ritual as an effective means of corpse disposal.

He'll loiter in the area a few minutes before heading to grab a good spot for the evening meal.

CWater
2016-01-06, 12:53 PM
"Well Jimmy, this is one of your more fun inventions." Kimi says after a few practice rounds smiling brightly. "You wouldn't care to lend out a few of these? To test them out in the field you know?" The almost-graduate winks and turns to Reeve, "Hey, these things may load on automatic, but they don't aim themselves. What do you say, Reeve, would you be up for a little contest?"

backwaterj
2016-01-06, 04:12 PM
Lamyria felt a deep need to return to her pond for some much-needed centering. It was as if her soul was somehow . . . tarnished by the unholy magics she had witnessed. Hopefully there was enough time to set her energies right again before the evening meal.

lenon3579
2016-01-07, 01:20 PM
"Well Jimmy, this is one of your more fun inventions." Kimi says after a few practice rounds smiling brightly. "You wouldn't care to lend out a few of these? To test them out in the field you know?" The almost-graduate winks and turns to Reeve, "Hey, these things may load on automatic, but they don't aim themselves. What do you say, Reeve, would you be up for a little contest?"

Reeve smiles and wink to Kimi The loser pays our first tavern drink when out of here.

CWater
2016-01-07, 01:32 PM
Reeve smiles and wink to Kimi The loser pays our first tavern drink when out of here.

"Sure thing!"

Should we make some rolls?

Edgar Snow
2016-01-07, 04:11 PM
"There is no way I can have these out for 'field tests' yet. You'll have to ask Baker about that". He points to the light version of the weapon. "That one is going to Crouse; the other is Baker's. Take your shots, but we have got to get going".

Roll away!

When you all make your respective ways to the Common Hall, tables are set up in long rows in the center with other tables and carts along the outside walls. A singularly large table is at one wall. At it sits Smokebeard, the Patch's, Crouse, and Neemo Strongheart. This is the only time when the whole of Squiretown Academy has been together at one time. In total, it seems as there are only about 100 people present, faculty included. You grab a plate and bowl on your way in and are left to serve yourself from the buffet.
contains simple but good food; what you'd expect, or guess, a high-end inn would provide

When the meal has settled down and most people are left picking at a few stray berries or sipping coffee, Neemo stands to address the group with a quick leap onto the head table.
"Ya. So eh! Folks! We gon' call ya up' and holla reeeeal loud!"
"Or, and better yet -" Crouse interjects, "we do this nice and civilized because we aren't outside and we have a few names to go through. When you are called, come on up to the front here. You will receive your grad pack and your certificate. Congratulations, you've made it through Squiretown Two Hundred Eighty!
You have all the gear from the 'grad pack' at this point. In addition, you receive a certificate of graduation with your name on it. Squiretown Certificate functions as a masterwork tool (+2 bonus) for Diplomacy, on checks made to influence attitude on those who respect the Squiretown Academy

The custom is to get your pack, return to your place at the table but remain standing until everyone has collected their things. Then, a collective bow towards the head table before filing out of the Common Hall for an early night.

Kimi and Reeve, you are stuck in Jimmy's room after the graduation, looking over blueprints, random parts and mechanics, crossbows in various states of repair (or disrepair), all of which are individual components that need to be understood as separate in order to understand how they work as a whole.
Make an Intelligence check

CWater
2016-01-07, 04:34 PM
"There is no way I can have these out for 'field tests' yet. You'll have to ask Baker about that". He points to the light version of the weapon. "That one is going to Crouse; the other is Baker's. Take your shots, but we have got to get going".

Roll away!

Jimmy's decline is met with an sigh, but no complaints. "Most hits of five?", Kimi asks Reeve while aiming the crossbow.

What's needed to hit the target?

Shots:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Kimi laughs after firing the shots. "Think I'll stick to swordfighting anyway."

-----------------------------

When you all make your respective ways to the Common Hall, tables are set up in long rows in the center with other tables and carts along the outside walls. A singularly large table is at one wall. At it sits Smokebeard, the Patch's, Crouse, and Neemo Strongheart. This is the only time when the whole of Squiretown Academy has been together at one time. In total, it seems as there are only about 100 people present, faculty included. You grab a plate and bowl on your way in and are left to serve yourself from the buffet.
contains simple but good food; what you'd expect, or guess, a high-end inn would provide

When the meal has settled down and most people are left picking at a few stray berries or sipping coffee, Neemo stands to address the group with a quick leap onto the head table.
"Or, and better yet -" Crouse interjects, "we do this nice and civilized because we aren't outside and we have a few names to go through. When you are called, come on up to the front here. You will receive your grad pack and your certificate. Congratulations, you've made it through Squiretown Two Hundred Eighty!
You have all the gear from the 'grad pack' at this point. In addition, you receive a certificate of graduation with your name on it. Squiretown Certificate functions as a masterwork tool (+2 bonus) for Diplomacy, on checks made to influence attitude on those who respect the Squiretown Academy

Kimi gets up to receive the paper and pack when called, resisting the urge to make a somersault on the way. About time! Adventure awaits! Not that I would have hated it here though. But seriously, I've waited long enought!

-----------------------------

The custom is to get your pack, return to your place at the table but remain standing until everyone has collected their things. Then, a collective bow towards the head table before filing out of the Common Hall for an early night.

Kimi and Reeve, you are stuck in Jimmy's room after the graduation, looking over blueprints, random parts and mechanics, crossbows in various states of repair (or disrepair), all of which are individual components that need to be understood as separate in order to understand how they work as a whole.

"What do you want with these?" Kimi studies the various parts while whistling a cheery tune.

[roll5]

lenon3579
2016-01-07, 04:50 PM

Roll away!

I don't know how much penalty for non-proficiency I will get after an afternoon of learning and demonstrations... so I'll only roll the dice and add up my +5 ranged attack bonus, later we apply the penalty manually.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Think on the bright side, Kimi. I'll be covering your back.

Reeves walks with all grace and pomp, conscious [more than needed] of all the stares while he walks on to grab his grad pack. When he is near the table he curves perant the professors with affected mannerism and grabs his things and get back to his table, without a word.

Nice... nice... uuuuuh that one looks awesome

[roll5]

Chilimaggot
2016-01-07, 05:02 PM
Kurtulnezhad wolfs down as much food as he can while sitting, almost indiscriminate of what food it actually is. He fills his plate as much and as frequently as possible without being completely inconsiderate of the other students.

He races up when called; he pays little attention to the crowd, instead examining his diploma. He almost misses the bow.

On his way back to his room/quarters/dorm(?) he paws through the grad pack, holding up each new item excitedly before trying on his new traveler's cloak.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy, he thinks. He's excited for the upcoming journey.

backwaterj
2016-01-07, 05:13 PM
Lamyria strides up silently to the table, a little shaky perhaps due to the attention of the room being focused on her. Upon receiving her pack and certificate, she bows politely (and perhaps redundantly) before the Academy heads before returning to her place at the table.

Having nothing else of import to do this evening, and an early morning's meditation ahead of her, she heads back toward her quarters with the intention of falling asleep over her books.

redzimmer
2016-01-07, 06:27 PM
Sigurd

Awash in the blessing of Kord, Sigurd eats heartily at the banquet and follows the rituals of graduation with great solemnity.

His paper in hand, he is ready to carve his way through the world.

Edgar Snow
2016-01-08, 01:20 PM
(In leiu of a big post, for now)

Reeve, you've been able to follow Jimmy's training as well as the mechical side of the weapon. Kimi, not so much. It takes a little extra assistance (and perhaps some goading from Reeve) for you to finally catch on.
Kimi and Reeve, Light and Heavy Repeating Crossbow are considered martial weapons for you, rather than exotic.

Beyond that, it's off to bed, where everyone gets a full night's rest. To awake with 1 hour before you are supposed to leave Squiretown, you will need to rise at dawn.

Chilimaggot
2016-01-08, 03:51 PM
Kurtulnezhad will be rising at dawn, repeating his prayer ritual as before.

backwaterj
2016-01-08, 04:24 PM
Lamyria will likewise be rising at dawn, or before if she can manage it.

redzimmer
2016-01-08, 04:32 PM
Sigurd

Sigurd rises early as always. The Softlanders have one thing going for them, their beer is a fine alternative to the fermented yak milk his people imbibed. Less tiny demons trying to eat his brain box the next morrow, anyway.

He smiles at his own wit, and hoists his axe. Now blessed by Kord, he could claim what was once his grandfather's as his own.

To take a weapon of someone you did not defeat in combat, nor purchase one's self was to invite bad fortune, as everyone knew.

"Now, to earn your name!" he tells the axe. He straps on his hides and lopes out to meet the day.

Edgar Snow
2016-01-09, 06:19 PM
As you all arrive outside the Common building at the center of Squiretown, you find a small group waiting outside: Lt. Crouse, with his new crossbow, standard issue longsword and studded leather armor; Zee, the elven archer, with his Longbow and a very different backpack than your own; Jimmy Jamieson, who seems to have more scroll cases than fingers and toes; Vadania, who some of you recognize as the incredibly shy librarian of the Common Hall's stacks; and finally, a rather lean-looking elf, male, that you do not recognize.

"Well well, good morning everybody, Crouse greets, "We are the first group today, if you don't count the one late last night. Can't imagine what it must be like to see in the dark... But alright now, this is us. Just remember - " he says with a pause, "we, and I mean that as something more than Squiretown, we do our best to keep this road safe, but we make no promises. Stay mindful".

He turns toward the road and begins to take the lead on the walk out of Squiretown.

backwaterj
2016-01-09, 10:17 PM
Lamyria joins the assembly, pack-laden and walking stick in hand. She gives a nod to Vadania, who she recognizes from her long hours poring over philosophical and spiritual texts.

"It is . . . somewhat of a surprise to see you," she says softly to the woman as the group gets underway, "but it is a welcome one."

Chilimaggot
2016-01-09, 11:15 PM
Kurtulnezhad mutters to himself as he pulls up his hood, wondering why he wasn't assigned to the night group. Must have been a clerical error of some kind, he thinks, pulling the cloth tightly over his eyes for a moment before making his way to the center of the group and keeping pace.

lenon3579
2016-01-10, 12:42 PM
Reeve is cheerful and lepid, all smiles, when he encounters his friends and colleagues.

"Hi, Kimi. Ho, Great One, sleeped well? Hey, Jimmy, I can only guess that wonders are inside those scroll cases." And so on, greeting everyone there, had he met him before or not. And then, after the strange elf's speech, he follows him humming a merry melody.

redzimmer
2016-01-10, 04:25 PM
Sigurd

Always eager for action, Sigurd cannot help but feel impatient. He tries his best to not appear disrespectful, however.

"Who is our enemy? We shall vanquish them and feast on their still-beating hearts!"

lenon3579
2016-01-10, 05:12 PM
"Who is our enemy? We shall vanquish them and feast on their still-beating hearts!"

"Nah! As much as I like feasting, I think I'll leave the hearts to you." Reeve turns to Sigurd and winks merrily, saying "But don't you dare to drop that bloody mess in my clothes!" and laughts heartly.

redzimmer
2016-01-10, 06:40 PM
Sigurd

Sigurd returns the laugh heartily, though he didn't quite get the joke. To cover this, he laughs louder.

Edgar Snow
2016-01-10, 06:41 PM
Vadania, as your group comes to realize, was the librarian in Sunnybrae before going to Squiretown. As stereotypes go, she fits hers flawlessly. She seldom says a word, especially when not specifically addressed. She stares at the ground for the bulk of the walk.

The unidentified Elf is much the same, but far more interested in his surroundings. He constantly stares off in the distance, in opposite directions than you're walking, or picks up things to show Vadania who in turn refers to a notebook she carries in her cloak.

Zee appears to be focused on his arrows, sharpening their points, checking the feathers, testing the flexibility...

Crouse and Jimmy spend much of their time talking about past events in Sunnybrae: nothing of particular note, just personal stories, rumors, news, and common friends and acquaintances.

You all travel at a leisurely pace, with the promise that a break will "come soon". Eventually, as noon comes and the heat of the sun takes off the last bit of fog, you see a small and faint plume of smoke up ahead, just off the road in the grass. You could run there in a minute if you needed.

Spot check 10 to identify figures, Spot check 15 to identify there are 5 of them, sitting or lying down, Spot check 20 to identify the figures as 5 orcs, Spot check 25+ to notice they are armed.
See OOC.

redzimmer
2016-01-10, 08:31 PM
[b]Sigurd[/roll]

Peering ahead, the barbarian tries to make out the shapes ahead.

[roll0]

He shrugs.

Must have just been a trick of the light.

backwaterj
2016-01-10, 10:12 PM
Lamyria stumbles a bit, and for a brief moment looks as physically ill at Sigurd's mention of eating hearts. Fortunately conversation veers quickly away from that particular unpleasantness.

As they travel, she speaks little except when directly asked a question, and even then keeps her answers short and to the point. Soon her eyes are drawn to the camp ahead.

[roll0]
"Orcs," she whispers, green eyes narrowing, "This could be trouble."

lenon3579
2016-01-10, 10:19 PM
Reeve looks around to see what the "Big One" is talking about.

[roll0]

"No much a trick of the light... we have five traveler companions there."

"Orcs," she whispers, green eyes narrowing, "This could be trouble."

Reeve whispers back to Lamyria, "Orcs? Are you sure?", then draws his rapier and try to silently catch the attention of Jimmy, Zee and the other Elf.

backwaterj
2016-01-10, 10:59 PM
"Positive," she nods at the camp. "Five of them."

She turns to Crouse. "How shall we proceed, sir?"

redzimmer
2016-01-11, 12:51 AM
Sigurd

Orcs! Praise Kord! Sigurd is all but bursting with joy.

He draws his axe and unshoulders his shield, nodding his readiness.

CWater
2016-01-11, 09:44 AM
"Orcs?! Where?!" A certain sleepwalker snapped awake. Kimi had never been the morning person, and since getting any sleep last night had been hard due to being overly excited about the journey on the following day, the young warrior had showed up to the meeting place resembling something of a empty husk that moved by itself and replied to greetings only with grunts and a hint of whining. The brisk morning air had improved things somewhat, and the last comments were just enough to make it to Kimi's consciousness.

Spot: [roll0]

"Oh, you're right. Think they're looking for a fight?"

Chilimaggot
2016-01-11, 10:30 AM
Kurtulnezhad runs up with everyone else. "What's that now?"

Spot [roll0]

He swears, squinting against the sunlight. "I can't see piss out here. What should we do?"

Edgar Snow
2016-01-11, 12:11 PM
"Perfect!", comes as Crouse's reply, rather unexpectedly. "I told you we'd get a break soon enough. I would, however, put away the weapons. If this is who I think it is, and should be, you don't want to even challenge him"

As the group moves closer, the smell of burning meat wafts over you from the smoke blowing in your direction. As Lamyria said, there are five orcs, fully armed, each in a state of relaxation. They are set out in a small clearing with a path about 20 feet long from the road, a rocky firepit, a makeshift spit with half of a once thick and muscular creature. With a sense of ease and relief, Crouse moves up to the path.

"Leader Grar, may we enter and rest?" asks Crouse.

Four of the orcs raise themselves to at least a sitting position. The one at the fire finishes carving off a piece of meat before he answers in a gruff, deep, but low voice: "Crows. No. Crouse it is. Come. We have boar. Welcome."

You assume this must be 'Grar'. From a closer inspection, he does not appear to be a full Orc, but a half Orc. His face and arms are covered with scars but it is gear that is most striking. Over his body are at least a dozen short bladed weapons, what you'd likely call daggers, of all shapes and strange hilts.

"Come. Sit. Eat."

Chilimaggot
2016-01-11, 12:32 PM
Kurtulnezhad does not need to be told twice. He acknowledges the orc with a nod and eagerly helps himself to what is offered.

redzimmer
2016-01-11, 12:35 PM
Sigurd

The barbarian is taken aback by the orc's hospitality.

But, boar beat the dried horse dung they called "rations."

"I greet you, Leader Grar! I am Sigurd son of Rolf! I shall eat with you!"

backwaterj
2016-01-11, 10:36 PM
Lamyria mutters something in her native tongue as she warily enters the camp, staying as far from the orcs and the roasting meat as possible. Instead, she begins to unwrap something that resembles bread from her rations, always keeping a distrustful eye on the orcs.

lenon3579
2016-01-12, 06:11 AM
Reeve greets Grar, takes a piece of roasted boar and sits at the Crouse's side.

"Whoa, that was unexpected. I think these nice guys are part of the great 'we' that you talked about earlier in the morning. The one that is something more than Squiretown. I would like to know more about it, especially if that knowledge is going to prevent me from entering in combat with the likes of him unknowingly."

Edgar Snow
2016-01-12, 08:28 AM
As Kurtlenezhad makes his way over to the spit, one of the sitting orcs draws a blade, then offers its handle.

"I am called Ravage", he speaks. "Share in our hunt". It is quite obvious that traditional manners about food do not apply: no plates, napkins, and your table is your hands or lap.

The elf, Zee, and Vadania follow Lamyria's lead, moving towards the outside of the ring of grass. "I do hope they know there is a specific core temperature that must be reached, especially with game, to make sure the meat is safe", Vadania ponders. "And how strange for a boar to be out in the Plains this far. Perhaps they just killed their pet, or mascot".

Directly to Sigurd, Grar responds, "Rolf? I have not heard of such a name. Is Rolf the mother or father of Sigurd?" (Sense Motive rolled)
Grar does not seem to mean this as an insult. If anything, he is looking for clarity.

It's actually Jimmy who speaks up, sitting at Reeve's other side. His excited voice is the loudest of the group. "Leader Grar is big and tough, no doubt. I used to spot him in Squiretown when I was young. My father would say that Grar would punish me for not doing chores or neglecting my studies. I don't think he even met Grar. I know, from Baker, that he's been watching caravans and trade roads. I guess Baker did the same at some point. Lt. Smith told me someone in his family did the same" .

Grar briefly enters the conversation to say, "Yes, young boy, but even I need to rest after so long...", as he waves at nothing, takes a seat, and closes his eyes.

Sleep, it seems, is done while sitting.

redzimmer
2016-01-12, 09:19 AM
Sigurd

1d20 sense the mo.
I sense autocorrect wanted a Rollo. OOC reroll-a-rama.

"Rolf my father! Son of Weigurd who was Son of Sigberd! But my people live to the north and may not have crossed paths with yours," he explains patiently.

CWater
2016-01-12, 01:21 PM
Realising that the group is not hostile, Kimi relaxes and sits down on by the fire. "Hi! I'm Kimi, my parents are none of importance. Where are you going?"

Edgar Snow
2016-01-12, 10:03 PM
Grar makes a few murmurs, a grumble mixed with a yawn, and replies to Sigurd and Kimi in turn.

"I am to guess you come from a line of great warriors, Sigurd, son of Rolf. As does Grar. Continue as you must, and always honor your family. For our travels, we wait. Let those of the Squiretown rest, sleep at night. We move south in five full turns of the sun. Go with caravans in Sunnybrae now, after the chaos night".

Those listening, you assume he means 'days' by 'turns of the sun'.

backwaterj
2016-01-12, 11:28 PM
The elf, Zee, and Vadania follow Lamyria's lead, moving towards the outside of the ring of grass. "I do hope they know there is a specific core temperature that must be reached, especially with game, to make sure the meat is safe", Vadania ponders. "And how strange for a boar to be out in the Plains this far. Perhaps they just killed their pet, or mascot".
"I shudder to think." Lamyria appears to mean this literally, going somewhat pallid again, though keeps her voice even quieter than usual out of deference to Grar and his companions. For now she is content to listen to Grar's conversation from a distance, shifting position from time to time to stay upwind of the fire. "Are we to set a watch?" she asks after a few moments' pause, to whoever happens to be at hand.

Edgar Snow
2016-01-13, 12:04 PM
Crouse answers Lamyria's question, "Naw, just a break. Rest your legs, get the feeling back in your shoulders, have a bite, and we'll set off when we're ready".
He takes a look across the Shimmering Plains, his focus mostly northwest. "I see clouds coming in from the north and they might just cross over the road. I'd rather move ahead and hopefully have camp ready if they do".

redzimmer
2016-01-13, 02:55 PM
Sigurd

"You are wise, Grar. These are good words."

After a helping of boar meat, Sigurd is ready to press onward.

lenon3579
2016-01-14, 06:30 AM
It's actually Jimmy who speaks up, sitting at Reeve's other side. His excited voice is the loudest of the group. "Leader Grar is big and tough, no doubt. I used to spot him in Squiretown when I was young. My father would say that Grar would punish me for not doing chores or neglecting my studies. I don't think he even met Grar. I know, from Baker, that he's been watching caravans and trade roads. I guess Baker did the same at some point. Lt. Smith told me someone in his family did the same" .

"Nice. And are there other orc groups on the task of helping travelers? And why is this not openly talked about on the Squiretown classes?"

Reeve seems to be at ease with the orcs. If Crouse and Jimmy are trusting them enough to let the group rest a little in their middle, without making a watch, then certainly there are nothing to worry about. And Reeve is a very pragmatic man, prefering to judge a person by his actions rather than by his race or ancestors.

CWater
2016-01-14, 07:35 AM
Grar makes a few murmurs, a grumble mixed with a yawn, and replies to Sigurd and Kimi in turn.

"I am to guess you come from a line of great warriors, Sigurd, son of Rolf. As does Grar. Continue as you must, and always honor your family. For our travels, we wait. Let those of the Squiretown rest, sleep at night. We move south in five full turns of the sun. Go with caravans in Sunnybrae now, after the chaos night".

Those listening, you assume he means 'days' by 'turns of the sun'.

"Chaos night...?", Kimi murmurs, feeling a little drowsy. Ah well, best not to get too comfortable, as Crouse said, he'll soon have them all back on the road again. "Should I know what he means?", Kimi asks Reeve, though loudly enough for others to hear too.

backwaterj
2016-01-14, 10:25 AM
Crouse answers Lamyria's question, "Naw, just a break. Rest your legs, get the feeling back in your shoulders, have a bite, and we'll set off when we're ready".
He takes a look across the Shimmering Plains, his focus mostly northwest. "I see clouds coming in from the north and they might just cross over the road. I'd rather move ahead and hopefully have camp ready if they do".
Lamyria nods, her relief palpable. "Lead the way when ready, sir."

Chilimaggot
2016-01-14, 10:35 AM
Kurtulnezhad, quietly munching all this time, pipes in. "Aye. I'm ready to move as well."

Edgar Snow
2016-01-14, 12:10 PM
Addressing Reeve's question, Crouse answers, "I guess none of you really dealt with the Delvers, huh?"

The quiet Elf, speaking almost for the first time, pipes up to say, "Tis not quite accurate, but my work was research only. But continue young man".

Err. Right. Sorry. For the rest of you in that case. The halfling caravans that travel in this area go around to each area. Most of them don't have a particular home. The Orc groups often act as supporters, defenders, enforcers if you will. They too travel the road but are more likely to set up temporary settlements. Captain Baker's family owns a farm near here that is currently acting as an outpost. They seldom have to deal with much more than wild animals and renegade bandits, but are appreciated for their hard work and strength. If you need help on the roads, try to find them or wait for a caravan".

Jimmy chimes in on Kimi's question: "Chaos Night - " as he pauses for emphasis, "is when Sunnybrae hosts a large group of halfling caravans. There is dancing, food, but the best part is the Chaos Night Runners. I don't quite understand it, but they do tricks on people. Good tricks."

He excitedly continues, "Last time, before I went to Squiretown, I bumped into one. Pure black outfit, didn't make a sound. So I was leaving the shop, bump this fellow, and make my way home. When I was cleaning up for bed, I was emptying my pockets and couldn't find my chalk piece. What I DID find was a whole gold piece!"

"Yeah, sounds like Chaos Night. Last time, I found a gold piece in my mop bucket. No mop, of course. Year before it was flour from my cupboard. Empty space, save for the gold", adds Crouse.

The explanation finishes as Crouse stands up, grabbing his backpack and wiping his hands on his trousers. "But if we are to take part in the mischief, at least as victims, it's time we move. Thank you for your hospitality, Leader Grar. May your journeys see you well".

Grar simply nods, followed by a strangely enthusiastic wave of goodbye to the group as a whole. You set off again on the road headed west to Sunnybrae.

backwaterj
2016-01-15, 03:43 AM
Chaos Night . . . this seems like an excuse for petty larsony. Though the rewards seem adequate . . . but what if the price taken were a child? Or a parent?

Morose as her thoughts may be, Lamyria shows little of her thoughts on the surface . . . though she does seem, if anything, a bit more withdrawn than usual.

lenon3579
2016-01-15, 05:29 AM
Reeve is smiling through all the explanation, as memories from his childhood floods his thoughts.

"Well, if those friendly orcs are here to guarantee the most beautiful and harmless party of the world, so let's let them do their work" Then he turns to Kimi "The Chaos Night, my friend, is one of the most beautiful things you will have the chance to see in your life".

When he hear the complaining from Lamyria, he turns to her and talks "Dear lady, the Chaos Night is harmless. The meaning is to give the persons happy surprises and amusing. Kidnapping people doesn't count as any of those things. The point is to take valueless objects from random people and put gold in it's place."

As the adventurer's party assembles to go on, he says goodbye to all the awaken orcs before going too.

Edgar Snow
2016-01-15, 08:36 PM
The orcs, as you leave, all lay down on the pressed grass. Of course, if they had also met the night party, they wod have been keeping watch for at least 12 hours.
You walk the road. It's at least 15 feet wide, but is not straight. It seems to curve and bend without reason, around no real obstacles.
After two more hours of travel, the road takes a hard right to get around a pond. From a slight distance, the surface looks calm and clear, with small, thin shoots of green rising from the surface.

At the road's bend, just at the pond's edge, you all hear a call. "Ay there! You betta have your toll ready! Silva each!" Rising from a sitting position, about 50 feet from the angle in the road, three men now stand. The speaker carries a rapier; another to his side with a smaller and thicker blade with a wooden shield; both with soiled armor, clothes, and skin. The third man seems to wear a blanket as a cape, covered in dirt just the same.

Crouse responds to the group first, in a whisper: "Jimmy, get Vad and the other back, into the grass. Gang, what's the plan?", as he grips the handle of his sword. Zee quickly knocks an arrow.

CWater
2016-01-16, 07:19 PM
Reeve is smiling through all the explanation, as memories from his childhood floods his thoughts.

"Well, if those friendly orcs are here to guarantee the most beautiful and harmless party of the world, so let's let them do their work" Then he turns to Kimi "The Chaos Night, my friend, is one of the most beautiful things you will have the chance to see in your life".

When he hear the complaining from Lamyria, he turns to her and talks "Dear lady, the Chaos Night is harmless. The meaning is to give the persons happy surprises and amusing. Kidnapping people doesn't count as any of those things. The point is to take valueless objects from random people and put gold in it's place."

As the adventurer's party assembles to go on, he says goodbye to all the awaken orcs before going too.

"Sounds fun", Kimi decides grinning, "I'll look forward to seeing it!" The young would-be warrior stands up and stretches. "Alright then, back to the road. My feet thank for the rest."

The orcs, as you leave, all lay down on the pressed grass. Of course, if they had also met the night party, they wod have been keeping watch for at least 12 hours.
You walk the road. It's at least 15 feet wide, but is not straight. It seems to curve and bend without reason, around no real obstacles.
After two more hours of travel, the road takes a hard right to get around a pond. From a slight distance, the surface looks calm and clear, with small, thin shoots of green rising from the surface.

At the road's bend, just at the pond's edge, you all hear a call. "Ay there! You betta have your toll ready! Silva each!" Rising from a sitting position, about 50 feet from the angle in the road, three men now stand. The speaker carries a rapier; another to his side with a smaller and thicker blade with a wooden shield; both with soiled armor, clothes, and skin. The third man seems to wear a blanket as a cape, covered in dirt just the same.

Crouse responds to the group first, in a whisper: "Jimmy, get Vad and the other back, into the grass. Gang, what's the plan?", as he grips the handle of his sword. Zee quickly knocks an arrow.

Kimi draws the sword and swings it around a little to test the balance. "Three men trying to extort a group of this size? That's pretty bold."

redzimmer
2016-01-16, 09:13 PM
Sigurd

"What is 'toll', Master Zee? Are these honor-less dogs?" Sigurd happily hefty his axe and checks his surroundings.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Edgar Snow
2016-01-17, 09:00 AM
Your group moves a little closer. There is about 40 feet between Crouse and the other group's speaker. The man says, "Ho, ho! That's good enough. We ask for silver, not steel. That includes the others behind you".

Without taking his eyes off the group of dirtied men, Zee responds in a whisper, "No tolls on these roads, brother. Honorless is accurate. These are not beggars, these are bandits".

"Oh quickly now! Don't you want to be on your way?", comes from the rapier-wielding bandit leader. "No need for all this murmuring".

Reeve, Kimi, and Lamyria: you hear a light "click-click" noise from behind you. Jimmy, it seems, has loaded Baker's crossbow from somewhere in the grass.

lenon3579
2016-01-17, 11:58 AM
Reeve is walking at the side of his mates, but a little to the right I'm assuming that this is the direction that the road bends to., as if going to flank, but really trying to see the surrounding terrain to see if there is more of the burglars. He is unsettled, as seems very unlikely that only three man would try to rob such a big and well-armed party. So or they have a solid backup hidden on the bushes or they are too desperate... or too confident on their own abilites. He failed to find which option is the worse.

[roll0]

As he walks and observe, he talks to the burglars and try to read their reactions.

"Hey, c'mon. We are a group of nearly a dozen well-trained and well-armed soldiers, and you are only three. We don't want to hurt you, so it would be better for both if we just dropped that "toll" thing and you leave us pass without fighting."

Reeve is really trying to convince those people that they have no chance, and making them desist from the attack. If that is a bluff or a diplomacy check depends on the actual strength of the other group, so I'll roll the d20. The bonus for Bluff is 7 and for Diplomacy is 5.
[roll1]

As he talks he try to read the faces of the man, trying to discern their motivations - if they have backup or are too confident or too desperate or just being naïve. Rolling Sense Motive.
[roll2]

backwaterj
2016-01-17, 06:48 PM
When he hear the complaining from Lamyria, he turns to her and talks "Dear lady, the Chaos Night is harmless. The meaning is to give the persons happy surprises and amusing. Kidnapping people doesn't count as any of those things. The point is to take valueless objects from random people and put gold in it's place.".
"Your concern is noted. I fear you misread me, though. I was distracted by . . . other thoughts."

Her relief to be on the road again is nearly palpable.

Attempting to use the front line to mask her activities from the bandits, Lamyria begins to mutter a protective incantation in as soft a voice as she can muster.
She's casting mage armor. And if you need it:
Slight of Hand untrained (Dex check): [roll0]

Edgar Snow
2016-01-17, 09:53 PM
The man, after Reeve's well-put arguement, immediately backs down and sheaths his sword. "Well, whaddya know, Crouse. Look like you gotta smart group comin' out Squiretown".

Crouse, hand off his hilt, says to the man, "And I thank you Steven for trying to be convincing. Group, this is Steven Hollis, Sunnybrae's resident tavern performer. He's good with that sword but better with a song. I set this up with them, just to see how you'd react. Quick thinking on that one Reeve. Remember, you don't always need to fight your way out of every situation".

Crouse removes his bag, opens it up, and carefully pulls out several potion vials wrapped in paper. "And since I don't need these to bring them back from the brink of death, they're yours".

Everyone receives a Potion of Cure Light Wounds

"I'd love to chat, but we have to get moving in order to get ahead of those clouds as best we can," Crouse says to Steven Hollis, "so gang, let's call this a 'win' and get walking".

As he begins the march forward, he gives a handshake an a smile to Hollis's partners-in-crime. They all smile and wave as the others stand up from the tall grass with different degrees of relief.
"That, sir, was naughty...", is Zee's only response.

backwaterj
2016-01-17, 10:49 PM
Lamyria receives the potion with a nod, uncorks it, sniffs it, and then nods, resealing the vial and carefully stowing it in a pouch.

"Well met, Steven," she belatedly adds, trying her hardest to mask her irritation at the deception.

redzimmer
2016-01-17, 11:05 PM
Sigurd

Continuously bewildered by these odd 'civilized' customs, Sigurd walks sulkily for the bulk of the day.

CWater
2016-01-18, 03:50 AM
"I thought it was odd. Are we to meet many more of your friends in this trip, sir?" Kimi grins, but is also a little disappointed that they didn't get to test their fighting skills. But yes, there was probably some sense in what Crouse said, about solving things with words and all that... Not that exciting though.

lenon3579
2016-01-18, 06:49 AM
Reeve smiles as he take his Potion and puts it on his bag.

"Hey, thanks for that, and for the compliment. You are surely full of surprises, almost a Chaos Night Person, hehe.".

And then he turns to Kimi. "Yeah, surely odd, but fun... and that's a good question.

As the group continues its walk, after the encounter, Reeve aproaches Vadania and asks her:

"Dear lady... would it be much bold on my part to ask if you have paper and ink and quill and if you can borrow me some? I'm going to buy a little when we get to Sunnybrae, but I would like to start writing my diary on our next stop."

Chilimaggot
2016-01-18, 07:40 AM
Kurtulnezhad settles back down, muttering to himself. No fight after all. For the best, he supposed, rubbing his fully belly. However, he was eager to prove his usefulness, so he was still disappointed there was no fight.

"Quite clever, sir." he says to Crouse in a low voice. "Reinforcing the necessity of diplomacy, yes sir."

Edgar Snow
2016-01-18, 10:23 AM
Crouse explains, "No, no more tricks. Steven back there? He's turned into a bit of a drunkard since his wife died, I don't know, probably about three years ago. Her body just started shutting down. I left Squiretown for the funeral. She played the violin beautifully. They never did have children, so I think Steven lost a sense of purpose in his life. He was thrilled when I asked him to do this".
Vadania responds, quietly of course, to Reeve's request. "Most certainly. I do believe I have blank journals at the bottom of my pack". She then proceeds to carefully open her bag, and hands Reeve a metal vial of black ink and a quill. Her bag, as everyone sees as she begins to remove its contents, contains nothing but books of varying shapes and sizes and inks of different colors. The journal she hands to Reeve is bound in thin reddish-brown leather and contains 50 pages.
The groups moves along the road for about two more hours. Crouse seems to constantly scan the horizon towards the north, watching the rolling clouds. "Alright folks," as he points down the road, "there is a small wooden post just up ahead. It marks a site with a fire pit so we don't go burning up the Plains. We'll make camp there and hopefully don't have to deal with rain or too much wind while we sleep".

Just as Crouse said, with five more minutes of walking, a post is found along the roadside. The area is circular with a stone pit in the center, nearly identical to the site with Grar and his orcs. Zee and the other Elf decide amongst each other to keep watch, with Zee on the second shift. A fire is made by Crouse while the others prepare their beds around it.

Jimmy, ever the engineer, tucks himself into an elongated sack. "I call it a sleeping bag; bedroll and blanket in one. I can't throw it off as easy, but I wouldn't need to normally. Jamieson made," as he responds to Crouse's look of confusion.

Chilimaggot
2016-01-18, 02:35 PM
Kurtulnezhad heads over to Sigurd.

"Ssssalutations, large one. Would it bother you if I placed my tent next to where you sleep? In dangerous places it always befits the smallest member of a group to stay near as possible to the biggest."

redzimmer
2016-01-18, 02:56 PM
Sigurd

"I will be most honored to have you join me, small dragon! Please."

He motions to a space near his bedroll, and everyone else takes a mental drink as the barbarian once again says "honor".

Edgar Snow
2016-01-18, 10:52 PM
There is little to do beyond sleep. Those without a tent would appreciate the heat of the fire as the air cools off as darkness falls. Beyond the Elf or Zee making sounds as they move about or maintain the fire, this night is the most quiet night you've had in five years.
You awake feeling well rested, but the sky looks far darker than it should. Great dark cloud loom nearly overhead. Zee, seeing the group stirring, goes a little distance from the camp in hopes of rummaging something up beyond trail rations, but has no luck.

Crouse, surprisingly, has a canister for brewing coffee. "Jamieson made, of course!", he says playfully. "Alright folks, if you need to do your stuff, do it now. I'm no Maltcassion, but I think we are getting rain soon. We'll see if Lady Luck is on our side".
His reference, you all know, is to the Lord of the Elves, rumored to be the oldest and most powerful creature, but also said to be a Druid; 'Lady Luck' is to the stories of The Four.
Regardless of your immediate plans, Crouse is unable to control the weather. About an hour after waking, the rain begins - windless, light, but still cold.

backwaterj
2016-01-19, 12:04 AM
"It does look like rain at that," Lamyria responds to Crouse, unable to keep the slight smile off her face and before separating herself from the camp to meditate and to follow Zee's example.

[roll0]
The smile returns as the rain starts to fall. She's always enjoyed it when the water and the earth collide.

lenon3579
2016-01-19, 05:50 AM
Vadania responds, quietly of course, to Reeve's request. "Most certainly. I do believe I have blank journals at the bottom of my pack". She then proceeds to carefully open her bag, and hands Reeve a metal vial of black ink and a quill. Her bag, as everyone sees as she begins to remove its contents, contains nothing but books of varying shapes and sizes and inks of different colors. The journal she hands to Reeve is bound in thin reddish-brown leather and contains 50 pages.

Reeve gently thanks Vadania and put the diary and the ink and quill on his backpack.

The groups moves along the road for about two more hours. Crouse seems to constantly scan the horizon towards the north, watching the rolling clouds. "Alright folks," as he points down the road, "there is a small wooden post just up ahead. It marks a site with a fire pit so we don't go burning up the Plains. We'll make camp there and hopefully don't have to deal with rain or too much wind while we sleep".

Just as Crouse said, with five more minutes of walking, a post is found along the roadside. The area is circular with a stone pit in the center, nearly identical to the site with Grar and his orcs. Zee and the other Elf decide amongst each other to keep watch, with Zee on the second shift. A fire is made by Crouse while the others prepare their beds around it.

Jimmy, ever the engineer, tucks himself into an elongated sack. "I call it a sleeping bag; bedroll and blanket in one. I can't throw it off as easy, but I wouldn't need to normally. Jamieson made," as he responds to Crouse's look of confusion.

As the other members of the group go on through their own affairs, Reeve unpacks his brand new diary and start to write. The first page he use as a title page, writing "Diary of the Exhilarating Adventures of Reeve Kester, the Cool", and on the second one he writes down today's adventures.

Then he lays down on his "bed" and easily falls into sleep.

There is little to do beyond sleep. Those without a tent would appreciate the heat of the fire as the air cools off as darkness falls. Beyond the Elf or Zee making sounds as they move about or maintain the fire, this night is the most quiet night you've had in five years.
You awake feeling well rested, but the sky looks far darker than it should. Great dark cloud loom nearly overhead. Zee, seeing the group stirring, goes a little distance from the camp in hopes of rummaging something up beyond trail rations, but has no luck.

Crouse, surprisingly, has a canister for brewing coffee. "Jamieson made, of course!", he says playfully. "Alright folks, if you need to do your stuff, do it now. I'm no Maltcassion, but I think we are getting rain soon. We'll see if Lady Luck is on our side".
His reference, you all know, is to the Lord of the Elves, rumored to be the oldest and most powerful creature, but also said to be a Druid; 'Lady Luck' is to the stories of The Four.
Regardless of your immediate plans, Crouse is unable to control the weather. About an hour after waking, the rain begins - windless, light, but still cold.

Reeve awakes and joyfully takes to the task of eating his breakfast. He looks to the sky and to the horizons with unhidden mirth. He is constantly muttering under his breath.

"We are on the road... I can't believe it. Wow, that dawn is amazing..." and so on and so on.

Even the cold rain, when it starts to fall, don't shake the amusement of our little adventurer.

Chilimaggot
2016-01-19, 08:10 AM
Kurtulnezhad completes his prayer ritual inside his little tent, then steps out into the rain.

"Ah, what a relief. It's decent out."

He packs up his tent and approaches Crouse.

"Pardon me. How long until we have arrived at our current destination?"

Edgar Snow
2016-01-19, 08:55 AM
Crouse responds to Kurtlenezhad, "Well, unless you folks want to force yourselves to keep walking longer today, we should arrive in Sunnybrae tomorrow evening. I don't mind the walk, and I've had many forced marches through these roads, so I'm happy either way. More now, less tomorrow".
As the group continues, so does the rain, becoming a heavy rain before noon. The road, while not paved, has been so well worn that it is covered with only a thin layer of mud. At one of the many odd turns, a small pond has started to form, as though the road knew it shouldn't go that way and bent itself around the spot.
As you are walking, Zee, over the pounding rain, asks, "Hey, you hear anything weird?", but no one is in agreement with him.
Less than a minute later, the air is filled with the sound of a strange cry. Its source is directly behind most of the group, as a fierce looking boar now stands on the road, one of its tusks buried low on the quiet Elf's back. He drops to the ground as the boar releases a squeal and turns to Vadania. You all stand within 20 feet of the animal, Crouse and Zee at the front are at 30.

It's one creature, a boar, so its know: nature for animals.
Boar has 9 on initiative, and is not flatfooted to the group. NPC's will act as one.
Roll attack and damage together.

Chilimaggot
2016-01-19, 09:59 AM
(Do we roll initiatives? If so [roll0] )

Kurtulnezhad will hold his action until anyone else has made a move that would distract the boar, then he rushes over to the downed member. "Be healed, elf." he says, and casts Cure Light Wounds.

[roll1]

redzimmer
2016-01-19, 01:29 PM
Sigurd

The barbarian is surprised by the giant pig and can only react in one way, violently.

Fury rising, he rushes the boar and swings his axe downward.

[roll0] to hit
[roll]1d8+3[roll] damage
[roll1] crit iif needed
[roll]1d8+3[roll] crit x2
[roll]1d8+3[roll] crit x3
Oops, damage in ooc sorry.

lenon3579
2016-01-19, 01:45 PM
"I guess I can't bluff that one."

Reeve goes the opposite side of Sigurd's and hack the boar with his rapier.

hit: [roll0]
(if hit == true)damage: [roll1]

CWater
2016-01-19, 01:53 PM
The sudden attack takes Kimi totally by surprise, and for a moment the young warrior is stunned, staring at the elf lying on the ground bleeding. Kimi had seen enough injuries from fighting practice and witnessed some bar brawls when younger, yet this sight caused a feeling of nausea in the stomach.

Edgar Snow
2016-01-19, 05:38 PM
Sigurd moves in and lands a hefty piece of his weapon into the boar (9).
The animal returns the strike with a tusk into his leg.
Sigurd takes 5 damage
An arrow from Zee flies by, landing into the boar's back (7).
Crouse rushes in to protect Vadania, dodging the boar's wild swing at him, but he fails to connect with his long sword.
Vadania withdraws herself away from the boar.
Reeve fills the gap, but misses.
The boar now surrounded, Kurtlenezhad moves in towards the fallen elf, lays his hands upon him, but the Elf does not open his eyes.

Boar: 15 damage

lenon3579
2016-01-19, 07:36 PM
[See my OOC post first]

Reeve curses as his first swing misses the boar, and then try again.

I guess we are flanking it, so I'm putting the flanking bonus on the attack... If I'm wrong, just substract 2 from the final result:
if (hit == true): [roll1]

backwaterj
2016-01-20, 02:41 AM
Lamyria looks unalarmed by the creature as she edges closer, muttering a protective incantation and planning her best avenue of attack.

CWater
2016-01-20, 09:11 AM
Kimi finally snaps out of the daze and runs to also attack the boar, casting a quick spell on the way.

Swift action: Cast Blade of Blood, 1d6 to next attack that hits
Move action: Move next to the boar, assuming I can find a flanking position, if not, -2 to the attack roll below.
Standard action: Attack, two-handed.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2]

Chilimaggot
2016-01-20, 01:40 PM
Seeing his spell go wasted, Kurtulnezhad frowns and shakes the elf's head. He then drops him like so much dirty lunchmeat, runs to within 50 feet of the boar (I assume he's pretty close already) and lifts his holy symbol in the air.

"Vecna's curssses upon you, ssswine!"

[Casts Bane]

Edgar Snow
2016-01-20, 03:09 PM
Can you let me know what the spell is, but also (if it is relevant) what the DC is? Saves me from checking sheets.

Reeve's strike is true this time, but it is Kimi's magically infused attack that while less accurate, delivers a strong cut the whole length of the animal after he jumps into the grass to flank with Crouse.
As Lamyria begins to cast a spell on herself, Kurtlenezhad focuses on the boar.
It stares at him for a moment, but quickly looks away as if worried.

Pre-Sigurd
Boar: 34 damage, Bane spell

(Assuming Sigurd does not kill the boar)
The boar, surrounded, attacks wildly at Kimi, hits for 6 damage
Zee moves, hits for 4 damage
Crouse misses.
PCs turn.

redzimmer
2016-01-20, 03:13 PM
Sigurd

"Wicked little beast! I will prove you unworthy!"

Sigurd slashes as the boar's tusk rips his flanks.

[roll0] to hit
[roll1] Damage

Or perhaps I am unworthy. Gods are fickle.

CWater
2016-01-20, 03:45 PM
"Ha!" Kimi shouts after slicing the boar, but it is quickly followed by a yell of pain when the beast retaliates. "You..." Kimi grimaces in pain and swings the two-edged sword in a wide arc, striking with both blades.

Full attack, still flanking
Blade 1: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Blade 2: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

lenon3579
2016-01-20, 07:01 PM
"Hey, you, be a good dinner and please stay still while we roast you! We are not orcs but appreciate a good meal too."

It just ocurred to Reeve that Vadania found it weird to have ONE boar around this region, so he made that bad pun to try to grab the party's (and specially Vadania's) attention to the fact that we found another one, and an agressive one at that.

I.E. assuming that Reeve could have heard what Vadania spoke, on the first place, as we were all on the same small camp.

Edgar Snow
2016-01-21, 12:26 PM
Kimi's attacks are well on point. It is clearly hurt after the first. After the second strike, the boar let's out a loud squeal, stumbles its footing, but surprisingly remains standing.
It is Reeve that finally puts the beast down into the dirt road, muddy from the rain.

Vadania speaks, softly, eyes on the fallen elf: "His name was Martellos'eth, but we called him Marty..."

lenon3579
2016-01-21, 12:29 PM
Reeve's smile of triumph fades quickly as he hear Vadania's words. "Wh.. what? was??"

He quickly jumps to the side of Marty.

"What do you mean with 'was'?"

Edgar Snow
2016-01-21, 12:50 PM
You a would have heard Vadania's statement about the boar on the Plains. Know: Nature, 10, to know she is right, they are usually by the forest, 15 to know they are usually alone or in a small herd.

"Our Elf friend, he is dead, no doubt. Is that why he does not stir, Kurtlenezhad?" answers, and asks, Zee.
Still speaking, he turns to Sigurd, "Brother, you are certainly strong. Let us not make our leader fell the burden. Will ya help me carry Marty here?"

lenon3579
2016-01-21, 12:54 PM
Knowledge(nature): [roll0]

Reeve is beginning to feel worried... It is one day of march from where the orcs probably met their own boar, so those two were not traveling together, something should have happen to make them walk the plains in a so agressive fashion.

CWater
2016-01-21, 01:04 PM
"What?! He can't be dead, he was just... there..." Kimi just stands there next to the boar's body, dumbstruck and still high on adrenaline, which is why it takes a moment for pain to register. "Ouch... Think I got a scratch too..." The right side of Kimi's tunic is torn near the hip and becoming stained in blood as they speak.

redzimmer
2016-01-21, 04:47 PM
Sigurd

Sigurd is somber as the thrill of the fight washes away. He hears the chiding from his Knights combat instructor in his mind.

You charge in like s bloody stupid ox, "Hardlander," and how much bloody honor is there getting yerself killed right outta the breach?

The torn skin in his side gives him a more tactile reminder. He might not be so lucky next time.

He looks at the dead elf. Just a couple inches with that tusk...

Shame washed over the burly man. He could not evil claim the kill. He would need to be better.

lenon3579
2016-01-22, 05:56 AM
Reeve hears Kimi's complainings and snaps out of his own contemplation, returning to the immediate stuff.

"How this happened? He was on the rear, wasn't he? Nobody saw the incoming boar?" he says, and then turns to Kurtulnezahd "Have you some cure magic still with you, for Kimi and Sigurd? It would be better to save our potions for now, as we don't know if there is more of those" he points to the dead boar "or the thing that is scaring them up before we reach Sunnybrae". Then he turns to Vadania, "You studied the habits of the wildlife, didn't you? Can you imagine what may have driven them so far?".

Reeve is not unshaken by the death of the silent elf, but his joyful self is trying hard to avoid facing the subtle meanings of it, as it always do when confronted by sad and painful happenings. The world is too large and there is too much of it still to see, so he is not prepared to sit and chew over the life and death. Yet.

Chilimaggot
2016-01-22, 08:02 AM
Kurtulnezhad stares at the elf for a moment. What a waste.

He snaps out of it. "Yes, yes. Come, bring thy wounded and weary."

[Divine Spellpool - Cure Light]

Kimi [roll0]
Sigurd [roll1]

Edgar Snow
2016-01-22, 09:21 AM
(1d8+2 for the Cures. You're a 2nd level cleric, not a wand!)

Vadania responds, "I am certainly no expert on the local boar populations. They could be getting pushed by the rain, chased by a predator, simply lost, maybe they escaped from a caravan or something else completely. Sorry".

Crouse, surveying the scene and listening to Vadania, digs in his pocket for a coin, or rather a token. He whispers to it and a bird appears in his hand before it takes flight.

"I figured I'd give Captain Baker notice of our situation. Keep the kids away from greeting us or something", as he grabs 'Marty's' backpack and hands it to Zee. Then he moves to the body, bends down, and puts the Elf over his shoulders. "I want you folks ready".
The rain, still heavy, obscures vision and the pounding fills your ears as the group continues on. Zane, taking the lead, suddenly stops. "Did any of - ", he shouts before being interrupted by another loud and sharp "Squeeeee!" as another boar, seemingly wounded, steps out in the middle of the road about 40 feet ahead of him, 50 feet from the group.
Zane takes a shot, which hits the boar's rear leg, Crouse moves in front of Vadania as she cautiously moves back. Jimmy joins her.

Boar: X+4 damage
(X = unknown)

PCs turn.

Chilimaggot
2016-01-22, 10:11 AM
"Oh, for crying out loud..."

Kurtulnezhad pulls his crossbow and fires off a shot at the boar.

Attack [roll0]
Damge [roll1]

lenon3579
2016-01-22, 11:24 AM
"Ok, now this is getting tiresome. I'll confuse him, you flank!!!" He mutters the first phrase and then cries the second one.

Reeve runs all the way to the boar, as if going to charge, but only to distract the beast while the companions assemble to attack. He goes straight on the direction of the boar then tumbles over it, assuming a defensive stance [OOC for what I'm trying to do]

redzimmer
2016-01-22, 02:39 PM
Sigurd

Redemption! Now I shall use tactics! Sigurd thinks proudly.

Sigurd takes up a flanking postion and joins the attack.

[roll0] to hit or a whopping 11 if flanking!
[roll1] damage

"Teamwork!"

CWater
2016-01-22, 04:23 PM
Kurtulnezhad stares at the elf for a moment. What a waste.

He snaps out of it. "Yes, yes. Come, bring thy wounded and weary."

[Divine Spellpool - Cure Light]

Kimi [roll0]
Sigurd [roll1]

"Thanks", Kimi says when the wound knits shut, then gives a brief glance at the tunic and sighs, "Won't fix this one though. And I hate needlework.."

----------------------------------

When the second boar appears Kimi is less startled than the first time and swiftly hurries after Sigurd and Reeve.

Double move to get closer to the boar, though leaving a 5 ft. distance.

Edgar Snow
2016-01-22, 04:52 PM
Reeve does not try to Tumble through the boar's space, but rather around its closest square.
Sigurd would need to Charge to reach his position. The attack is still a miss.

(Pending Lamyria's action)

A bolt from Kurtlenezhad flies wide as Kimi moves closer. Reeve fails to move gracefully to the animal's side but it is slow to respond. Sigurd's axe hits air.

The boar swings its head at Sigurd. It catches a chunk of calf muscle with both tusks. Sigurd takes 7 damage

Zee moves just a bit closer and takes a shot. It seems to shave some hair off the boar's back as it skitters to the road ahead. Crouse, though heavily encumbered by Marty, draws his longsword in anticipation. The others move away a bit more.

PCs turn.

CWater
2016-01-22, 05:15 PM
Kimi casts a quick spell, the same as earlier, before moving the last bit of distance towards the animal, spinning the sword in a wide circle. "Watch out!" Whether the warning is meant for the others to watch out for the boar or the swinging blades, is unclear.

Swift: Casting Blade of Blood.
Misc: 5 ft. step to melee, to flank if possible.
Full-Round: Attack with both blades.
Blade1: [roll0] (-2 if can't flank)

Blade2: [roll2] (-2 if can't flank)

+ [roll4] to first (if any) attack that hits.

CWater
2016-01-22, 05:16 PM
[roll0] (-2 if can't flank)
Crit damage: [roll1]

redzimmer
2016-01-22, 05:22 PM
Sigurd

"You cannot best me! I shall devour your hearts!"

Again Sigurd swings, rage building in his breast.

[roll0] hit
[roll1] damage

lenon3579
2016-01-22, 05:45 PM
"OK, Sigurd, you may keep the heart, and I'll eat the sirloin.". Reeve then thrust his rapier into the ribs of the boar.

hit: [roll0] (-2 if not flanking)

Well the idea, as the boar isn't a tall animal, was to tumble over it. But that's ok. :)

Edgar Snow
2016-01-22, 05:55 PM
Kimi moves straight up to the boar and catches it in the neck with his second strike with his infused sword. Sigurd doesn't need Reeve's assistance as his axe strikes the other side of the boar's head, nearly removing it from the rest of the body.

There is a lot of blood, and not all of it from your attacks.

Boar: X+22 damage, DEAD

redzimmer
2016-01-22, 06:13 PM
Sigurd

Sigurd slowly catches his breath, the pain in his wounds pronounced now.

[roll0]

He looks about to see if any more wild pigs are nearby.

"Your first kill!" he tells his axe proudly. "By Kord and his legions, I name you... Tusk Ripper!"

Satisfied, he downs his healing potion.

[roll1]

Edgar Snow
2016-01-22, 06:20 PM
(It's 1d8+1, but keep the roll, just -2).

Sigurd looks around, sees nothing but darkened skies and rain falling.

(And now we wait for more responses before moving on)

lenon3579
2016-01-22, 06:26 PM
"That one was already wounded... I guess the thing that attacked him is still nearby. We shouldn't rest, they can be farmers or they can be tigers..." then he moves on to Vadania and talks to her "I know that this will be difficult, but we need to be alert now. Can you take a look to the wounds on the body that were made before our enconter? If they weren't made by blades then we can have a nastier encounter still on our way."

[Fast OOC = Are there trees or other small elevation around us?]

backwaterj
2016-01-22, 07:17 PM
Lamyria frowns as she closes with the second boar in like fashion to the first . . . just in time to get splattered with blood from the killing blow. After taking a quick look around for more danger she bows her head and mutters: "Shen grant us mercy for the lives that were taken."

She then kneels to the unpleasant task of inspecting the now-deceased boars for any clues regarding what could have driven them to such desperation.
[roll0]
I'm treating this as a Heal check to inspect wounds; feel free to switch the modifier as appropriate.

Edgar Snow
2016-01-22, 07:43 PM
It's nothing but mellow hills and shallow dips around you as far as you can see (which isn't much with this weather). The highest point around is likely Sigurd's back.

Vadania, with a look of confusion, begins, "I only know what I've read in books - ", and stops to watch Lamyria.

Lamyria: Reeve is right for speaking up. Your inspection reveals not only marks from a different weapon than your group's (something blunt or partially blunt) but also puncture wounds from a set of teeth from a long jaw. The first thought is dog, perhaps lizard. They certainly are not tusk wounds.

backwaterj
2016-01-22, 08:50 PM
Lamyria rises, eyes narrowed, doing her best to wipe the worst of the gore off her hands and clothes.

"You are right to be concerned, Reeve," she remarks somberly. "These creatures were beset by beasts with teeth and beasts that bear weapons. We should be wary, mostly of the latter."

lenon3579
2016-01-23, 06:15 AM
Reeve nods to Lamyria.

"Well... I prefer not to know personally if the beasts with teeth and the beasts with weapons are the same." He turns to Crouse. "Should we continue moving? How much time until we reach Sunnybrae and how much until we stop for the night?"

Edgar Snow
2016-01-23, 09:04 AM
"Let's see. The weather is annoying, but another hour or two and we can rest if you need. Makes for a short day. We could always hustle a bit. Plan is still to reach Sunnybrae tomorrow in the late afternoon or evening peri-"

And that's when a loud howl fill the air, far about the pounding rain or Crouse's answer. It is followed by s string of quick shouts that might be language.

It's goblin, without a doubt. You quickly translate out "No! It is this direction! You beast! What? Road?!"
Turning to the direction of the sound which you all heard...
Lamyria: its a small creature mounted on a medium one, in the grass to the north (right side of the road), 60 feet out. It's facing the group directly.
Kurtle, Kimi: you see a dark shape in the grass, not humanoid, 60 feet out
Reeve, Sigurd: you know something is out there because of the sound, but your eyes can't find it.
Ready for a fight, Zee says, "Something is out there, but where?", as he prepares to fire. Crouse drops the body on the ground and draws his sword. Jimmy grabs Vadania by the hand and heads left into the grass.

Those that see the 'thing' notice it does not move very much.

PC's TURN!

lenon3579
2016-01-23, 09:22 AM
Reeve quickly takes a fighting stance.

"Goblins! They are trying to go somewhere, and seem not to know about our presence yet". And before anyone can ask he adds with a shrug "Yes, I studied that language".

lenon3579
2016-01-23, 09:27 AM
Oh, after first post one can't add a roll. I have do a now one.

[roll0]

Edgar Snow
2016-01-23, 11:06 AM
(Pssst. It's the PCs initiative. Right now! It's group, remember.)

Chilimaggot
2016-01-23, 11:11 AM
Kurtulnezhad levels his crossbow at the "thing" and holds his action to shoot it if it does anything aggressive.

Held attack

1d20+4

dmg 1d6

redzimmer
2016-01-23, 12:01 PM
Sigurd

"Another test? Come forth! Show your hands!"

Edgar Snow
2016-01-23, 12:18 PM
Chili's roll didn't work... Weird. I assume Sigurd is just speaking normally to the creature's possible direction. AND DOING SO IN BLUE?! gasp...

lenon3579
2016-01-23, 03:19 PM
(Oooops, I forgot about the group initiative)

Ok, then Reeve make that same speech and hold his action, awaiting for instructions.

backwaterj
2016-01-23, 05:45 PM
Reeve quickly takes a fighting stance.

"Goblins! They are trying to go somewhere, and seem not to know about our presence yet". And before anyone can ask he adds with a shrug "Yes, I studied that language".
"If they are goblins, they are mounted, though I only see one." Lamyria points in the direction of the two shapes.

She chants another incantation, touching her middle and ring fingers to a small lizard tattoo on the inside of her left wrist.

She's casting Scales of the Lizard (duration 1 min, +2 enh bonus to natural armor).
I'm going on the assumption it's been more than a minute since the first boar, so Shield would be gone.

Her skin takes on a slight shimmer once the incantation is complete.

Edgar Snow
2016-01-23, 06:29 PM
I was going to say 1 minute, but forgot Lamyria's CL1. So now I'll say you have it for this round, and next (8 rounds elapsed)

I'll also publically roll Kurtlenezhad because the forums failed him, followed by the complete post as an edit.
(Kimi to still act)

The dark creature lowers its shape, then suddenly bursts forward.

"Kurtulnezhad levels his crossbow at the "thing" and holds his action to shoot it if it does anything aggressive.

Held attack

[roll0]

dmg [roll1]"

Edgar Snow
2016-01-23, 06:45 PM
As the creature dashes forward, it becomes apparent that it is a goblin, mounted some a very large, dark, wolf or canine creature. The creature takes a small bolt, lost into its fur.

It moves toward the fallen boar, and directly up to Lamyria.
Reeve can take an attack of opportunity!

(Assuming neither are dead)
The beast seems to ignore the magical protections with its bite.
Lamyria takes 8 damage. Trip Attempt = 11.

The goblin swings wildly at Reeve, but misses with devotion.

Know: Arcana 14 to identify the wolf as a Worg
Gob: charged
Worg: 1 damage, charged

CWater
2016-01-24, 04:03 AM
Kimi has been silent, ready for more enemies. This short trip turned out to be much more exciting than what they were lead to expect, although Kimi is not quite sure how to feel about all the bloodspilling, and the death of the elf. Reeve seems to take it in stroll though, and Kimi is all too happy to follow his example rather than mull over it.

When the worg rider charges at them and the battle begins anew, Kimi quickly casts the spell again and runs to strike the creature.

Swift action: Cast Blade of Blood
Move action: Move next to the boar, flanking if possible
Standard action: Attack, two-handed.
Attack: [roll0] (-2 if can't flank)
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2]

I assumed Kimi was not right next to the rider at the start of the turn, if so, the actions would change slightly.

lenon3579
2016-01-24, 08:35 AM
As wolf passes at his side, Reeve just stick the rapier to the side, trying to hit it as it goes.

[roll2] to see if he knows what the thing is

Then he jumps over the big bad wolf, trying to knock the goblin from his mount (and luckily to land over him).

[roll3]

This is a standard jumping without running, and with the target being the body of the goblin. As it is a move action I guess I still have another action, but what it will be depends of the result of the jump.

Edgar Snow
2016-01-24, 09:20 AM
Reeve's response to the charge ends up with his sword deep in the animal.

After the small flurry of action, Kimi moves up to flank with Reeve at the beast's side. His strike seems true but the goblin rider yanks at its fur, and the wolf moves its leg just in time to avoid the strike.

Reeve, feeling daring or acrobatic, tries to jump over the rider and its mount. They respond unkindly.
The goblin misses. The Worg has better luck.
Reeve takes 6 damage. Trip attempt = 8

lenon3579
2016-01-24, 10:57 AM
Reeve, feeling daring or acrobatic, tries to jump over the rider and its mount. They respond unkindly.
The goblin misses. The Worg has better luck.
Reeve takes 6 damage. Trip attempt = 8

Reeve curses and tries to roll on with the blow he received to avoid being tripped.

[roll0]

redzimmer
2016-01-24, 12:51 PM
Sigurd

As the small mounted creature come near, Sigurd swings his axe at the rider.

to hit
[roll]1s8+3 damage meh, moot point anyway.

Edgar Snow
2016-01-24, 01:05 PM
http://i.imgur.com/iuFsXbk.png
(Sigurd will have moved in order to swing. the attack is indeed a miss on the rider).

Chilimaggot
2016-01-25, 12:44 PM
Kurtulnezhad will attempt to position himself within 50 feet of all enemy combatants, and start chanting and rattling his holy symbol around as he again casts [Bane].

DC 13 Will Negates

Edgar Snow
2016-01-25, 01:16 PM
Both the rider and the ridden seem to have a moment of distraction. The wolf shakes its head and remains concentrated on those around him. The goblin seems to shudder a bit, even after Kurtlenezhad's incantation.
(Kurtlenezhad senses the goblin is under his spell, but not the Worg).
Goblin: Bane spell.
Lamyria to act.

backwaterj
2016-01-25, 01:18 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
Lamyria winces in pain as the beast tears into her flesh. She whips around with her quarterstaff, targeting the goblin who is clearly the aggressor in this attack.

backwaterj
2016-01-25, 01:24 PM
Sorry for the double post, I had to find out if the trip worked as it would affect my actions.
[roll0] damage: [roll1]
[roll2] damage: [roll3]

Edgar Snow
2016-01-25, 06:25 PM
NPCs
Zane make a few steps and takes a shot. It hits the goblin and it falls violently to the ground.
Crouse, sword in two hands, swings but doesn't hit the Worg.
Enemies
The goblin lies on the ground, bleeding.
The Worg gets a precise bite on Lamyria's leg and tries its best to pull her down.
Lamyria, 6 damage, Trip check 23
It holds its ground, unmoving.
Goblin: 11 damage, dying
Worg: 13 damage
PCs' turn

backwaterj
2016-01-25, 09:22 PM
[roll0]
Severely wounded at this point, Lamyria does her best to get out of reach.

If the DM will allow it, I'd like to treat this as a Withdraw action at half speed due to being prone.

Otherwise, Tumble check: [roll1]
Edit: well, guess that's an AoO if Withdraw's not an option. :smalleek:

Edgar Snow
2016-01-25, 10:06 PM
You have to use the rules for 'Crawling'
Edit: since you suggested a weird custom rule, I'll assume you aren't familiar with the actual rule. From the SRD, under Move Actions:
Crawling
You can crawl 5 feet as a move action. Crawling incurs attacks of opportunity from any attackers who threaten you at any point of your crawl.

redzimmer
2016-01-26, 01:07 AM
Sigurd

No longer able to think clearly with all the nonsense he's endured this day, Sigurd unleashes his inner beast.

+4 HP, +4 STR, +2 Will saves, -2 AC. 7 rounds.

Charging head-on with no thought to his own safety, Sigurd charges head on at the goblin wolf, flailing his axe madly.

"You shall not have her!!!"

An actual charge, so AC a further +2 to hit (+11) and -2 to AC (12)
[roll0] to hit.
[roll1] damage?

/Slow clap.

lenon3579
2016-01-26, 05:51 AM
Reeve focus on the Worg for now.

hit: [roll0] (+2 flanking bonus, right?)

CWater
2016-01-26, 08:25 AM
Without any fancy tricks this time, Kimi continues to attack the worg.

Blade1: [roll0] (flank included)

Blade2: [roll2] (flank included)

Since last rounds attack missed, Blade of Blood is still active.
Add [roll4] to the first, if any, attack that hits.

Edgar Snow
2016-01-26, 12:41 PM
Sigurd connects with his axe, but not as deep as he would have liked.
Reeve makes it on point. The rider, no longer able to control the animal, makes it an easier target.
Kimi swings, but the only blood is that which drips from his infused sword.
Lamyria considers her actions...
---
Worg: 26 damage

Chilimaggot
2016-01-26, 04:25 PM
Kurtulnezhad is going to pull his crossbow back out and continue to fire at the goblin from range- moving around constantly to maintain distance of 40 feet.

Attack[roll0]
Dmg [roll1]

Edgar Snow
2016-01-26, 06:28 PM
(moving on!)
As Lamyria attempts to escape, the Worg takes its, perhaps, final chance. If goes for the throat.
Lamyria takes 10 damage

Kurtlenezhad fires at the downed goblin. Despite its incapacitated condition, its position on the ground and near combat prevents an accurate shot.

NPCs
Crouse drops his sword, "Oh no, do not dare fall like that!" he yells, yanking a small bottle from his coat as he moves in behind Sigurd. He crouches to administer the contents into Lamyria's mouth.
Lamyria heals 2hp

Zane again shoots, not nearly as well as before, but enough to catch the beast in the torso.

Enemies
The goblin barely stirs at all.
The Worg takes a step back into the grass, breaking the flank on him. He aims for Kimi, grabbing his arm with tremendous force before trying to put him to the ground.
Kimi takes 10 damage. Trip attempt: 15
Goblin: 12 damage, dying
Worg: 32 damage, threatens Kimi and Reeve
PCs TURN

lenon3579
2016-01-26, 07:50 PM
Reeve shouts "Don't kill the Goblin yet... We would want to interrogate him!" and then attacks the Worg.

redzimmer
2016-01-26, 08:21 PM
Sigurd

"Devil dog! I will kill yoooooouuu!!"

Sigurd swings again, spittle frothing on his face as he stumbles through his mad rage.

to "hit"
[roll1] damage

Edgar Snow
2016-01-26, 11:31 PM
And after Reeve's quick strike, Sigurd's promise is half filled, as the Worg drops to the raid soaked earth as he pulls his axe from between its shoulders. It breathes, blood rolling out of its jaw.
Goblin: 12 damage, dying
Worg: 50 damage, dying
Combat ends

lenon3579
2016-01-27, 05:08 AM
Reeve firstly goes to where Crouse and Lamyria are, and then hands one of his potions of cure to him. "Here is one more, if needed".

Then he calls for Kurtulnezhad. "Hey Kurtu... can you help me with this goblin right here? I want to know if there is more of them on the surroundings, and why they are here after all. I'll bond him and you make him stop bleeding and awake. Can someone hand me a rope?"

He smiles and mutters over his breath "I KNEW those goblin language studies would come to good use"

CWater
2016-01-27, 07:15 AM
Kimi curses and stands up holding one arm tight to stall the bleeding. "Strong wolf, that was. Good idea, Reeve, let's talk to the goblin. I'd like to know why he attacked us, or is there some grudge with the goblins here?" Wincing in pain, Kimi drinks one of the healing potions.

Potion: [roll0]

Chilimaggot
2016-01-27, 02:15 PM
Kurtulnezhad will tear off a section of the goblin's clothes for bandages, and attempt to stop the bleeding and wake him up without using a spell.

[roll0]

He fails spectacularly, and instead burns his divine spellpool for another Cure Light.

1d8+2 hp restored.

Edgar Snow
2016-01-27, 08:44 PM
As Kurtlenezhad works his literal magic, Crouse empties the potion from Reeve into Lamyria.
Lamyria heals 6.
At the same time, Zee begins to speak, "Should we tie it -".

The goblin comes to, but just barely. He spouts a line of what sounds like gibberish to most. Reeve understands it as the goblin phrase for something akin to "I will kill you as a form of revenge".

Unhindered, beyond the fact he is on the ground and surrounded, he tries to kick at Kimi. Sigurd, Kimi, Reeve may take an attack of opportunity.
The goblin's attack roll is 7. Carry on as you please.

lenon3579
2016-01-27, 08:51 PM
"GAAH! That should have been done AFTER I had tied him!!!!", Reeve shouts, and then... [OOC for question about what I'll try to do]

redzimmer
2016-01-27, 08:53 PM
[s]Sigurd[/b]

"Silly creature thinks he is strong."

Still overcome with battle frenzy, Sigurd swings the flat of his axe to try knocking him unconscious.

[roll0]
[roll1]

CWater
2016-01-28, 05:21 AM
"Hey! What's wrong with you?!", Kimi shouts and jumps away to evade the kick.

Not taking the AoO, though Kimi still has the sword drawn and ready.

EDIT:
When the goblin is knocked out cold again, Kimi relaxes a bit, but looks soon worried again upon noticing Lamyria. "How is she? She's not going to die too, right?"

Edgar Snow
2016-01-28, 08:22 AM
Reeve goes to jump on top of the goblin, and to his surprise, up comes the goblin's other foot, kicking him flat on the shin, interrupting his attempt.
Reeve takes 1 damage, nonlethal.

It doesn't stop Sigurd's axe, broadside as he swings, from knocking it in the forehead. It's first kick turns into little more than a twitch as it is rendered, again, unconscious.

lenon3579
2016-01-28, 08:46 AM
"Do someone have a rope for me to tie him..." Reeve looks to Kurtu "BEFORE he awakes again?"

I'll already do the roll, to smooth things out
[roll0]

Edgar Snow
2016-01-28, 10:06 PM
Crouse helps Lamyria stand. "It might just have been the one goblin chasing a herd that decided to separate. Zee, I think you have the best eyes of the lot of us, and these creatures all came from the north. I want you watching that way. I'll make sure you don't trip over anything".

He spends a moment to look over the group before speaking again. "This isn't the first time. Nope. You folks are grown and ready to face the real world. So here it is..."

"Every fifth Chaos Night, since its inception, there are ceremonies just outside of town for those that don't make it back from Squiretown. For some, we build pyres during the day outside Sunnybrae to burn the bodies. Others are transported in covered wagons that blend into the rest of the halfling caravans, sent to their homes for their respective services for the dead. The celebrations are a great distraction. They tend to make people remember the fun and silliness of life, not the end of it".

He moves over to the body of Marty, the Elf, and picks him up over his shoulders once again. "I don't know what you want to get from that goblin. I don't expect a whole lot, but you're welcome to try. Sunnybrae has a small jail. But let's get moving quick. Hopefully we won't have to sleep in the rain".

backwaterj
2016-01-29, 02:14 AM
When the goblin is knocked out cold again, Kimi relaxes a bit, but looks soon worried again upon noticing Lamyria. "How is she? She's not going to die too, right?"
"Not . . . today. At least . . . I think not." Lamyria is very shaky as Crouse helps her to stand. She fumbles in her pack for her own potion and drinks it.

Cure Light Wounds potion: [roll0]
"Let us . . . hope we have seen the last of the goblins."

CWater
2016-01-29, 06:46 AM
Crouse helps Lamyria stand. "It might just have been the one goblin chasing a herd that decided to separate. Zee, I think you have the best eyes of the lot of us, and these creatures all came from the north. I want you watching that way. I'll make sure you don't trip over anything".

He spends a moment to look over the group before speaking again. "This isn't the first time. Nope. You folks are grown and ready to face the real world. So here it is..."

"Every fifth Chaos Night, since its inception, there are ceremonies just outside of town for those that don't make it back from Squiretown. For some, we build pyres during the day outside Sunnybrae to burn the bodies. Others are transported in covered wagons that blend into the rest of the halfling caravans, sent to their homes for their respective services for the dead. The celebrations are a great distraction. They tend to make people remember the fun and silliness of life, not the end of it".

"Right." Kimi fidgets a little nervously, not really sure what one is supposed to say about such a topic."Sounds like... A good way of doing it."

"Not . . . today. At least . . . I think not." Lamyria is very shaky as Crouse helps her to stand. She fumbles in her pack for her own potion and drinks it.

"Glad to hear that!" Kimi smiles and claps Lamyria's back encouragingly. "Let's hope we can make it to town before dark. Not that I mind camping, but..." Kimi gives a sidelong glance at Crouse and the body on his shoulder.

Edgar Snow
2016-01-29, 08:44 AM
"Town tonight? Not going to happen unless we had fresh horses. If you all feel like dropping some weight, we could move faster, pushing through like a forced march. I've done my share of those. That might get us there before noon tomorrow", Crouse responds.

You know he's right. Sunnybrae and Squiretown are a 'comfortable 3 days apart, assuming two nights spent on the Plains. It's not impossible to do it in two, but the group has already spent half their time getting this far.

Vadania, coming out of the grass on the opposite side of the road speaks up, I would rather prefer to keep all my books...". Her voice makes it sound like an apology.

redzimmer
2016-01-29, 09:11 AM
[b[Sigurd[/b]

[roll0]

Sigurd smells the air.

"I can march for days if needed and carry a fallen comrade if needed. Else I can guard you sleep, as I am quite uninjured."

CWater
2016-01-29, 09:42 AM
"Guess that can't be helped then." Kimi shrugs.

Noticing that Reeve still looks at the others expectantly, the matter of the goblin comes back to mind. "Right, rope. You can have mine, I guess we best take him with us. Attacking travellers on the road, that is a crime, right?" Kimi hands the rope to Reeve.

lenon3579
2016-01-29, 09:59 AM
"Guess that can't be helped then." Kimi shrugs.

Noticing that Reeve still looks at the others expectantly, the matter of the goblin comes back to mind. "Right, rope. You can have mine, I guess we best take him with us. Attacking travellers on the road, that is a crime, right?" Kimi hands the rope to Reeve.

"Whoa, thanks, I was thinking we would have to knock him out again..."

Reeve goes an meticulously ties the goblin on a way that render him innofensive, at the same time that permits him to walk. He leaves an end of the rope loose, like 5 feet long, then hands it to Sigurd "Hey, Big One, I guess you are the best suited to hold this and prevent the little troublemaker from running off" he then turns back to the goblin. "Now is the time to wake up someone and ask some questions".

backwaterj
2016-01-29, 08:09 PM
"I should hope so" says Lamyria, kneeling to inspect the goblin. "For one, I should very much like to know if he's the one riling up those boars. The signs seem to fit."

Heal check to see how deeply unconscious he is:
[roll0]

Edgar Snow
2016-01-29, 09:28 PM
You're more likely to see the moon rise first than the goblin waking up. It will likely live, but you would be amazed if it could ever hear the same way as before. It looks just as bad as it happened: a barbarian smacked a prone goblin in the head with the side of an axe.

Edgar Snow
2016-01-30, 11:58 AM
(Before I forget)
Goblin: leather armor, morningstar, javelin, light wooden shield, waterskin, 2 rations (all small), medium quiver; 2 cp, 1 sp.
Worg: basic saddle (medium).

It doesn't seem as though the goblin was expecting to travel for any specific purpose beyond, perhaps, hunting. The quiver contains the sole javelin, but leaves plenty of room for several more.

Edgar Snow
2016-01-30, 04:42 PM
See the OoC thread. No Chili for now.

Kurtlenezhad Cures the goblin just enough so it regains consciousness after it is tethered. It is very angry, and does nothing but shout goblin curses at the group.

lenon3579
2016-01-30, 04:58 PM
Reeve with one hand grabs the goblin by the hair forcing him to lock stare, at the same time that with the other hand he puts the sword on his throat, until the guy shuts up. Then he talks, trying to be menacing, in goblin language.

"Now, son of an albino pig, you can see you are all alone and surrounded. So you WILL tell us what you were doing here and where your tribe is and where it's heading. Or I can send you again to your death... very... very... slowly".

[roll0], plus some circumstance bonus, I guess.

Edgar Snow
2016-01-30, 07:10 PM
Reeve's biggest issue is the goblin doesn't quiet down. He meets every threat with one of its own, and laughs when the blade is to its throat. It even tries to bite the sword with its jagged teeth.

Reeve picks up, "I will kill you, you all!" a number of times. The goblin does its best to struggle out of the ropes to no avail. The only thing it tells Reeve is where it thinks he should go, and none of it is pleasant.

It's most 'interesting' threat is that it will "Come back as a beast to eat you all whole".

lenon3579
2016-01-30, 08:04 PM
Reeve cuts a piece of the clothes of the goblin and make a gag to stop the little madgoblin.

"He is barmy, is only siptting nonsense, like ressussitating as a beast and things like that. These is a very weird behaviour, even for a goblin, don't you think?"

backwaterj
2016-01-31, 02:46 AM
"I would not be so quick to dismiss such talk. Stranger things have happened. All the same, I'm glad you've at least muffled the noise."

After this, Lamyria says her quick mantra for the dead before falling once again into accustomed silence.

Edgar Snow
2016-01-31, 09:11 AM
The group continues to march onward toward Sunnybrae, goblin gagged but in tow by a short lead.

"Crouse. What will likely happen to the goblin?", Jimmy asks.

"Attacking people on the road? We will start by putting it in a cell. We can't give it a fine or take its possessions as it seems to have nothing of real value. It was more than just an attack though, it was an attempt to take life. Baker may take its own", is his reply.

The goblin, meanwhile, has no change it its awful demeanor. It seems as though it simply can not speak or understand the Common language.
About an hour later, a mass sits just off the road in the grass. Zee tells the group, "Boar! It's dead", and dashes off ahead. He shouts back, "Javelins! Small javelins! And deep bite marks. Our prisoner I would guess!". The goblin muffles out a laugh.
Another three or four hours more and the group starts to feel the first signs of fatigue. Legs ache, shoulders tense, feet sore, but only just. The rain continues, but has turned far lighter than before. With evening approaching soon, you may have missed the chance of sunlight breaking through. Sigurd knows it won't be until night when it should break completely.

Crouse stops, checks the sides of the road, and walks into the grass a few feet. "Alright, here. Get out of the mud. We'll eat and drink as best we can, rest a moment, and head back out until someone says stop".

"A character can walk for more than 8 hours in a day by making a forced march. For each hour of marching beyond 8 hours, a Constitution check (DC 10, +2 per extra hour) is required. If the check fails, the character takes 1d6 points of nonlethal damage. A character who takes any nonlethal damage from a forced march becomes fatigued. Eliminating the nonlethal damage also eliminates the fatigue. It’s possible for a character to march into unconsciousness by pushing himself too hard".
Roll at least four Con checks in a spoiler (DC 10, 12, 14, 16), with non-lethal roll included. Some healing can be provided if someone calls unconscious early. Hopefully not everybody...

redzimmer
2016-01-31, 11:57 AM
Sigurd

The road ahead isn't going to walk itself, so Sigurd trudges on.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

He stumbles a bit in the second hour, but as he presses on, he gains his second wind.

CWater
2016-01-31, 12:12 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

The pain gets worse every hour and muscles feel start to feel so heavy... After four hours, Kimi is still up, but is looking quite exhausted and is starting to complain.

backwaterj
2016-02-01, 02:18 AM
Hour 1:[roll0] Non-lethal[roll1]
Hour 2:[roll2] Non-lethal[roll3]
Hour 3:[roll4] Non-lethal[roll5]
Hour 4:[roll6] Non-lethal[roll7]
Clearly the battle has taken its toll on Lamyria, as even in the first hour her breathing seems strained and her movements forced. "Perhaps making camp would be a wiser idea? The rain should cover our tracks if there are more goblins afoot."

Lamyria will pass out on hour 3 if they haven't stopped by then.

lenon3579
2016-02-01, 05:41 AM
[roll0] if fail, nonlethal damage: [roll1]
[roll2] if fail, nonlethal damage: [roll3]
[roll4] if fail, nonlethal damage: [roll5]
[roll6] if fail, nonlethal damage: [roll7]

OOC = is that 1 a critical fail?

Reeve manages to walk farily well, given his lack of bodily thickness, but still trips on the second and fourth hour.

Edgar Snow
2016-02-01, 08:32 AM
Kurtlenezhad is able to bring Lamyria to her feet when her body gives out. She isn't the only one. Jimmy and Vadania, more scholars than the rest, need to be picked off the ground more than once. Zee, for an Elf, seems surprisingly comfortable. The goblin too has no issues, likely on the account of his former mount.

After the extra travel, the rain is gone, and it becomes almost easier to see at night than it was during the day. Crouse, straining against his own weight, points ahead.

"We were going to have a stop, just up ahead, tomorrow at about noon. Another fire pit. I could certainly use a rest and the chance to dry of".

The site is closer than he thought, not a difficult mistake to make in the dark, and Zee calls out the post by the roadside barely a full minute after Crouse called the order.

It looks just as the others: circular, with a short path from the road, and a rocky center with a pile of wet ashes. The moment Crouse looks at the firepit, he lets out a sigh. "And of course, we have nothing to burn, and everything is wet".

He places the body on the edge of the circle, digs in his pack, and takes out a torch with a glass jar on top. "To keep the fuel from touching my stuff and smelling like oil...", and he lights the torch with a piece of flint, sticking it into the ashes. "Zee, give me a few hours and I'll watch the rest".

Jimmy and Vadania gather around the burning torch and set out to make camp.

backwaterj
2016-02-01, 07:50 PM
Lamyria heaves a sigh of relief as the campsite is reached, offloading her gear and taking a seat, indifferent to the wet and probably muddy ground. "I have been too long within the walls, I fear," she says by way of apology.

redzimmer
2016-02-01, 09:02 PM
Sigurd

"I can take a watch as well," Sigurd says.

Weary but still upright, he massages the tension from his legs. He chews thoughtfully on a stick of dried meat, keeping a wary eye on the goblin.

CWater
2016-02-02, 08:26 AM
Kimi flops on the ground grateful for the rest. "So... much... walking. Why did we press on again so determinedly, what hurry are we in." Eventually Kimi gets over the whiny mood and manages to get up enough to set up a tent and open the bedroll.

lenon3579
2016-02-02, 09:13 AM
Reeve offloads his stuff, and then proceed to tie the loose point of the goblin's rope into whatever strong enough he can find (stump, stone, the post itself, whatever), all the time muttering menacing things, about slowly peeling off skin and the like, in goblin language for him to hear. As he talks he watches closely for any sign of a change of attitude from the goblin.

Intimidate: [roll0], plus situational bonus

if needed, here is a Sense Motive for analysis of the green buddy's behaviour: [roll1]

Edgar Snow
2016-02-02, 11:28 AM
As the group settles in, Reeve goes to the post at the entrance to secure the goblin. Short of trying it to Sigurd, it seems to be the most stable and sturdy thing around.

The group can barely hear his threats. At least, it seems like threats, due to Reeve's tone. Whatever he said in the strange language seems to finally make the goblin shut up and settle down. For better or worse, the goblin has no reply when Reeve finishes.

Plan to head out after camp. Sunnybrae, possibly with map, to follow

lenon3579
2016-02-02, 06:27 PM
Noticing that the goblin had become quiet, Reeve take out his gag, just the sufficient for him to talk. Then sits in front of him, mantaining eye contact.

Now. Talk. Do your tribe is around here? And what you were doing?

Edgar Snow
2016-02-02, 07:22 PM
The goblin, perhaps fed up, yells, "I was hunting boar you big, stupid, tall naked dwarf! You will never find my tribe! This is not our land. Days! For days you would have to travel! No luck for you, you sickly pink giant mole!".
Goblins are not well known in this area. You'd know this as a resident. Go ahead an continue it, but I'll assume he isn't killed in the process....
The group wakes after a relatively peaceful night, save for the soggy ground. The dark clouds have moved on, leaving only a faint gray in the sky by morning.

"This is good," says Crouse, "We should be in town by noon. Let's eat and drink as we walk". He hefts the body back onto his shoulder, hopefully for the last time, as Jimmy rolls up his sleeping bag, and Vadania checks her books to see if any of them were damaged by the rain.
About an hour before the sun rises to its noon position, the flatness of the Shimmering Plains allows for a view of Sunnybrae from quite a distance. Far ahead, the vague shape of various buildings can be spotted on the North side of the road. Far easier to make out are the barns and mills among large rectangles of cultivated earth on the South side. Parts of the land are darted with large tents of various colors. A stream seems to cut through the center of the town, running parallel with the road for a short distance before turning more north, as if to avoid it.
It takes about an hour more to reach Sunnybrae proper. Upon nearing the first of the barns on the farmland side of the road, a halfling steps out and waves. His hair is cut extremely short, as though it were shaved within the week. He has on a dark blue cloak that hides the rest of his clothes.

He speaks, "Lieutenant Crouse! We were warned of your arrival. Sorry your travels were so dangerous. I mean that for all of you. Please, bring the body inside and place it on the covered caravan. We've only just tried to make contact with the family. We had to send for his information from Squiretown first via messenger. But this is our issue now. Let the recruits meander about the town. Captain Baker is at the station as normal. The inn shall have a place ready for everyone".

Across the road, the sound of a heavy door slamming is heard. A man in gear similar to Crouse's steps out, stretches, and looks over at the group. He has red, almost orange, medium hair and a thick beard to match. He looks as though he could be middle aged, but aged very well.

He begins by shouting to the halfling, "Now what are YOU doing over there?". He turns to the group. "New Squiretown graduates, welcome to Sunnybrae. I'm Baker, the local Captain of the guard. I shall be your tour guide, mostly because I was asked personally, and then we can settle in for some proper food, drink, and conversation. First, a few things. Crouse, you're now on duty. I assume you can take care of the goblin. I'm sure that's a tale. Welcome home again. Jimmy-boy, let me take that weapon from you. Go see your father at the shop. Vadania, if you will please, stay with Horizon until he is finished. Now that we have that settled, let's go".

backwaterj
2016-02-02, 08:02 PM
"Word travels quickly," Lamyria remarks at the halfling's speech, eyebrow raised as if she does not quite know what to make of him.

When Captain Baker makes an appearance she greets him with a bow. "Thank you for your hospitality, Master Baker. Please lead on."

Edgar Snow
2016-02-02, 08:27 PM
http://i.imgur.com/KMKjiG8.png
1 - House of Sunnybrae ("Sunnybrae Manor")
2 - Inn ("Silver Fox Inn")
3 - Tavern ("Silver Fox Tavern")
4 - Blacksmith ("Blacksmith Brouge")
5 - Hardware/Equipment ("Jamieson and Son's")
6 - Magical Services
7 - Church ("Hall of Worship")
8 - Guard's Station / Jail (underground)
9 - Farming Goods
10 - Stables
11 - Private homes
12 - Parks with public wells
13 - Bridge
14 - Stream ("Sunnybrook")
15 - Town Center ("The Block")

lenon3579
2016-02-03, 06:58 AM
Reeve will ask just two more questions before continuing the march: "so you were all alone on this plains?" and "what is that about coming back again as an animal?". And after the answers he gags the goblin again and go to rest a little.

:::

Reeve is really happy to arrive "home", even if both he and the city changed a lot on the last five years. Well, it's still to be decided if the city really changed all that lot or if that's only his perception that matured.

Anyway he isn't with the mood as good as it could be, after the forced march and the rain. He is eager for a bath and a comfortable bed. So he is strangely silent as Baker makes the introductions and the little tour. Well, at least "strangely" for the ones that were already acostumed with his happy and constant small talk.

Edgar Snow
2016-02-03, 11:40 AM
The goblin seems proud he was able to hunt boar with only a Worg mount. He makes sure to mention that a boar could never kill him, alluding to the dead Elf. He seems unable to support his threats, but it could have been a confused reference to Maltcassion as he is very well known of as a Druid, as is his ability to turn to animals.
As Baker takes the group around, he says a line or two about the different buildings.
"The cells are under the ground, with the stairs coming from our station"...
"Our magical services are limited, but we current have two Adepts. Horizon, the halfling, is one of them. He isn't part of the caravans"...
"The Silver Fox inn and tavern belong to the Hollis family. Poor Steven lost his wife, Beverly, and he now gets help from some of the young people in town"...
He continues in this way until the group has covered most of the interior and public buildings. He speaks only of the south side of the road as "the farms and such". He entertains any questions along the way.

Reeve (see OOC) specifically identifies that Jamieson's now has the extra "and Son's" added to the painted sign. The public wells are now maintained like public gardens, where before it was nothing but dirt. A wall, about 3 feet high, now runs the length of the Brook through town.

lenon3579
2016-02-04, 05:50 AM
Reeve walks along the tour with one only desire: for it to end. Quickly. But when he saw the wall, he snaps out of his thoughts and asks. "Commander Baker... why they built a wall there? Did the city got attacked by bandits and the like? What were the most interesting news from the last five years?".

I didnt understood where exactly the wall is. Is it inside town, separating the "poorer" side suth of the brook from the "center" of the city (where the fancy buildings are)?

CWater
2016-02-04, 08:15 AM
"Ah, it's good to be among people again! Thanks for the tour, captain!" Kimi throws a glance at the sun still high up on the sky. "Bit early to hit the tavern yet... Anything else interesting to do here?" The question is aimed generally at everyone present.

Edgar Snow
2016-02-04, 12:51 PM
"Please, please, just Baker will do. I'm afraid our little wall would only keep out renegade fish and the occasional frog or turtle. I think Mr.Hollis has been the only one to take a tumble and get muddy, but he was quite out of his head at the time".

The wall, at only three feet high, seems to serve no purpose than to keep small children from walking or falling into the Sunnybrook, which is little more than a ditch that has carved its way mostly naturally through the Plains.

"As to what to do, you're all a little early for the festivities. You must have pushed yourselves. If you need healing, go see Roberto with magical services. Horizon is somehow busy, but Rob is far easier to deal with. Some of the halflings have taken over the Silver Fox, but I don't mean in a rowdy way. They are actually running the whole place: cooking, cleaning, readying rooms. You might just want to get settled there".

Baker points at the large two story manor of the Sunnybrae family, with its large upper decking that overlooks 'the Block'. "Call him Mayor, or Sunnybrae, at least until you've been introduced. We know him as Bernard. His wife is Eliza. Oh, if you ever want local news, events, and gossip, Marge Wright is your source. Little old lady, sweet thing, and vastly curious beyond her own concerns".

backwaterj
2016-02-04, 06:16 PM
"Perhaps it would be prudent to have the rest of these injuries seen to," concedes Lamyria. Almost as an afterthought, she asks: "How long are we expected to stay here in Sunnybrae?"

redzimmer
2016-02-05, 02:32 PM
Sigurd

Sigurd was amazed at all the people crammed behind the wall. Accustomed to settlements of fewer than a hundred persons at a time, even a large village seemed a great metropolis to him.

Edgar Snow
2016-02-07, 08:52 AM
"How long? Depends on your abilities. Most are in a relevant position with a month. It's entirely possible for you to return home, the group separated, or they'll find an interesting and creative use for your skills, but most see it as a chance to travel somewhere new. Everyone has been waiting to hear if the northern city sends any representatives for recruitment. Nothing yet".

Baker finishes his answer by looking towards the Knightsridge Mountains, his expression and voice nearly deadpan.

"Well then, if you folks have nothing you're eager to investigate, I suggest grabbing a room if you want or need. You are most than welcome to sleep in a tent or a barn in the farmlands though. Take your time, enjoy some food, and evening will be on us soon enough!".

"One last thing. I have to attend to some things with the Sunnybrae family. It's not for a few days, but you'll see more of Lieutenant Smith. Rookie, so be nice. His uncle... Deceptive man. Don't you cross the butler wrong". Now his eyes move toward the Sunnybrae manor.

redzimmer
2016-02-07, 12:55 PM
Sigurd

Sigurd thumbs his axe nervously. So far this journey has had ill omens. His ancestors would say this would portent times of blood and change.

"We have to find out more of these body-swapping goblins. Lyris Himself has dropped them into our laps, so the responsibility is ours," he says to his companions.

"We should ask an oracle or shaman. Is such a thing here in this great city?"

CWater
2016-02-07, 02:52 PM
Kimi looks at the others questioningly, unsure of what to do next, but more than eager to follow should someone take the lead.

Edgar Snow
2016-02-08, 09:49 AM
"Oracle or Shaman? Sounds like Roberto or Horizon. If this is more of a religious thing, you might find something in the Hall of Worship. There are books there too. Sounds more like Maltcassion, but he is supposed to shift, not swap. Unfortunately, Marty, the deceased Elf, he was supposed to be our resident expert", Baker explains, as best he can.

"The one you brought with you, he must have been lying, lost, or just dumb. How did he expect to bring a bunch of dead boar back with him across the Plains?"

Chilimaggot
2016-02-08, 10:03 AM
Kurtulnezhad twists, cracking his back. "I would like to get a room. I am weary, and this talk of food bears investigating."

[roll0]

[roll1]

backwaterj
2016-02-08, 08:01 PM
"We have to find out more of these body-swapping goblins. Lyris Himself has dropped them into our laps, so the responsibility is ours," he says to his companions.

"We should ask an oracle or shaman. Is such a thing here in this great city?"
"It may well have been an empty threat. His kind are well versed in such things." Lamyria considers this for a moment.

[roll0]
"However, given the unusual circumstances I'm inclined to agree."

CWater
2016-02-09, 08:37 AM
"Are you going to follow on that?" Kimi asks, looking around. "Actually, I wouldn't mind looking for some healing first, my thigh's still open from meeting that wolf yesterday. Unless you've got healing to share, Kurtu?"

Kimi had 6 damage left after the last encounter. Rest healed 2, right? So 4 damage remain.

Edgar Snow
2016-02-09, 10:55 AM
Kurtlenezhad's best guess is an uninformed goblin talking about the Druid Maltcassion. The only connection to the Arcane and Maltcassion is a rumor he dislikes the entire practice.

But Goblins? It's possible the goblin has a connection to a wizard or similar that could alter the self in some way, but such a character would likely be well known in the same way a Druid from deep within the Forest has become.

While the group ponders the odd threat (and the rest not getting anywhere new), they are quietly pushed along by Baker to a smaller section of a large building to the left of the town center, or 'the Block'.

The building, or more accurately, the large room has a counter against the right wall. Paper or thin fabric partitions make small rooms opposite the counter. Straight ahead is an ornate archway that looks like it belongs to a church that had its doors removed. Book cases and table are scattered around.

A half elf, Roberto, rises from the counter dressed in a blue cloak. If he was human, he'd look about somewhere in his forties. Lamyria could put him closer to his real age of '80s-ish'.

He speaks a bit softly, yet no one else seems to be in the room. "Weary travellers? Do you require assistance, that of magic?".

He saunters over, eventually checking the group for lasting harm.
He Cures as needed, in order of worst to least damaged: 11, 8, 10. Despite his age and talents, he is not exactly a powerful user.
He is an Adept, as the class. I'd say Know Religion 5, but Local 5, or Int check 10 to identify works, just not about his powers or how they work.

CWater
2016-02-11, 05:54 AM
Knowledge(local): [roll0]

"Thank you! That's much better." Kimi does a quick spin and a kick to test the muscles. "Yeah, good as new! So, what do we do now? I'd be up for just wandering around, but if any of you got someplace in mind where you want to go, I'm game."

lenon3579
2016-02-11, 12:36 PM
Reeve is tired and hurd, but he goes along with everyone else to the temple. He asks for a cure and then seems to regain his spirit, as the wounds close.

"Oh, thanks. Thank you very much".

After all that he gather his friends that are around and says: "Hey, that was a long journey and we are all tired. I guess we should go to the tavern, drink a little and talk, and then get some sleep before figuring out what to do now that we are free and unemployed. What do you say?"

redzimmer
2016-02-11, 12:51 PM
Sigurd

"Let us find the shaman Roberto. I do not wish to fall to the depredations of wicked immortal were-goblins."

Sure of his conviction, he begins to ask random persons where this "Roberto" can be found.

backwaterj
2016-02-11, 04:29 PM
Int check for Roberto: [roll0]

I seem to be the 3rd most damaged so his heal brings me up to full.
"Many thanks, Master Roberto." Lamyria bows to the healer after he has done his work.

She turns to Reeve. "I suppose the tavern is as good a place as any to relax and speak. Perhaps we can ascertain where to go from here. I share Sigurd's concern over the goblins; perhaps the townspeople can be of assistance?"

redzimmer
2016-02-12, 04:19 PM
Sigurd

"Now that we are all hale again, perhaps we should seek accommodation?"

Edgar Snow
2016-02-12, 08:23 PM
The Silver Fox acts as both tavern and inn, with the latter being much larger and with access from the surrounding streets. A friendly halfling shows everyone to their own room, even Reeve, and begs the group to eat in the tavern portion.

As Baker, who is still with the group, had said previously, the place is currently run by halflings in various manner of dress. Everyone is shown to a large table where roasted vegetables, fresh bread, and, of course as it seems, large carved chunks of more boar. Seems they found one nearby with a small javelin in its back.

Soon, the mead, wine, water, and fruit juices are brought out. Time slips by bit by bit. Soon, halflings dressed in all black begin to come and go, seldom speaking, but often smiling. As dusk sets in, the Silver Fox gets less - rather than more - busy. Light footsteps can be heard above, on the roof. As if to mark the beginning of Chaos Night's beginning, Sigurd's last drink comes with a clinking sound rather than liquid... a gold piece. As Lamyria reaches again for a fork... a gold piece. Reeve's boots feel loose... no laces, but a gold piece in his left boot.

As Captain Baker rises as if to address the table, he quickly grabs at a falling piece of leather. His belt buckle, gone. A gold piece clatters to the floor.

"Right. So it begins!"

CWater
2016-02-13, 06:33 AM
"Now that is wicked!", Kimi exclaims enthusiastically when Reeve's missing shoelaces are noticed, "How do they do that? They must be using magic tricks, are all halflings mages too? I thought that was just gnomes."

lenon3579
2016-02-13, 09:34 AM
"Maybe the magic of soft hands... or the two things together." Reeve is amused for the first time since they reached the town, and examines the coin attently before puting it on his purse. "But they didn't made it to you yet... which thing do you guess they'll get from you?"

Chilimaggot
2016-02-13, 11:43 AM
Kurtulnezhad, still munching, clutches his bag to his chest and looks around warily.

CWater
2016-02-13, 06:18 PM
"Maybe the magic of soft hands... or the two things together." Reeve is amused for the first time since they reached the town, and examines the coin attently before puting it on his purse. "But they didn't made it to you yet... which thing do you guess they'll get from you?"

Kimi leans back laughing and lifts a pint of mead. "No idea, but as long as they don't touch my sword, they're welcome to anything! What other festivies is there by the way, other than waiting to be 'robbed'? Not that the drink here is bad or anything." Half of the liquid in the pint makes a quick disappearance.

redzimmer
2016-02-13, 06:23 PM
Sigurd

Softlanders and their doublespeak when they talk of coupling, the barbarian thought.

It took many a year to decipher the language, and the Son of Rolf still struggles time to time.

lenon3579
2016-02-13, 07:01 PM
Kimi leans back laughing and lifts a pint of mead. "No idea, but as long as they don't touch my sword, they're welcome to anything! What other festivies is there by the way, other than waiting to be 'robbed'? Not that the drink here is bad or anything." Half of the liquid in the pint makes a quick disappearance.

"Well, there are lots of parties and dancings around town. But my feet are strongly disagreeing with the idea of going there. Anyway, did you noticed that the people of the tavern found a boar dead with a small javelin near the city? I doubt that it was the same goblin that killed it.​"

CWater
2016-02-14, 08:56 AM
"Well, there are lots of parties and dancings around town. But my feet are strongly disagreeing with the idea of going there. Anyway, did you noticed that the people of the tavern found a boar dead with a small javelin near the city? I doubt that it was the same goblin that killed it.​"

"So there could be more around? I hope they don't mess with this party, but we could go looking tomorrow, if nothing else comes up?" Kimi leans up a bit, trying to see out of the window. "I think my feet could handle some dancing, assuming the local steps are not too complicated to learn. Back where I come from, there isn't much order as such, or if there was I could never figure it out."