PDA

View Full Version : Simple level 1 builds for 7 year old's first d&d game

Warrnan
2016-01-01, 01:14 PM
So I was thinking I'd make a few premade characters for my daughter's first time. Perhaps fighter, rogue, ranger, wizard and cleric. That way she can choose if she wants to use a bow, sword, or magic. Any pointers or ideas for what feats of spells that would be simple but effective?

Thanks so much in advance.

DrMotives
2016-01-01, 01:26 PM
Wow, yet another person introducing little ones into gaming. One thing I've seen with my kids playing (ages 14, 12, & 10) is that while my 10 year old made a cleric because she wanted a healer, she plays like a straight up warrior who just casts healing spells on occasion. With that in mind, you might find warlock is better than wizard or other caster types. It's real straight forward and easy to use, and still has a very magical feel. (They call me... Tim!) Problem with a cleric is their power isn't obvious enough for young kids. Buffing & support roles should probably fall to a DMPC that takes no actions to make decisions for the party. Otherwise, fighter & rogue are pretty clear. Just go up & fight, swing around to get flanking bonuses, watch sneak attack kick in. If you want a regular caster instead of a warlock, you might try warmage or beguiler instead. Seriously, picking spells for the cleric & druid in my kids' campaign and actually using them is the hardest part.

Warrnan
2016-01-01, 01:45 PM
Warlock is a great idea. It had crossed my mind. At level one a warlock feels better for sure than a wizard. Warmage and Beguiler are also great ideas. Thanks.

John Longarrow
2016-01-02, 01:19 AM
For a 7 year old, 3x5 index cards will be a godsend.

Take them, write down what each of her feats/weapons/spells do, and put little colored dots on the bottom. That way she knows she can use all the colored dots together.

Also write down if its a standard action or a move action. Put it in the same place on all the cards.

For her, it should feel a bit like holding playing cards. She gets to 'play' what her character is doing/using.

If you have time, soak the cards for actions she can only use once in coffee and let them dry thoroughly. She can then tell she has to 'discard' these until she rests.

Most kids are already familiar enough with playing cards that this will be a little more natural than trying to check lists on a piece of paper.

Warrnan
2016-01-02, 10:00 AM
That's a fantastic idea. I like the index card idea. Sounds like something I'd use myself. Thanks!

morkendi
2016-01-02, 10:23 AM
barbarian.... my experience, little kids are going to rush in an try to attack everything until it falls or they do... perfect barbarian stereotype... any kid mistakes or simply not knowing stuff yet can be attributed to that stereotype as well...

ericgrau
2016-01-02, 10:25 AM
Fighter and ranger should be easy so I'll take one of the hard ones. Rogue seems hardest because it needs its skills to keep up which gets complicated. Even compared to spells because those are pre-selected for her. Sure fighting is easy enough, but without effective use of skills all you have is very subpar fighting. I'd be tempted to nix rogue entirely. I'll take on a caster. I'll go with a cleric since the wizard's existence seems to be up in the air. I'll add confusion by saying that a sorcerer is far better than a wizard for a 1st timer, as long as you are picking spells for her. Don't make her decide which spells to prepare each day. In fact, the more I think about praying for new spells the more I think I better make her a favoured soul instead of a cleric. If you do go with cleric, then give her pre-set spells and list out only a small handful of alternate spells such as lesser restoration, neutralize poison and so on. Only spells that answer "Bobby is X'd. Can we rest for 24 hours so she can prepare Y?" Nothing else.

Human Favored Soul 1:
Str > Con > Dex > Cha > Wis > Int. However cha should be at least 14, which may change its position. Dex should likewise be at least 12 unless she has many low stats.

Spells:
0: Detect Magic, Light, Create Water, Cure Minor Wounds
1: Bless, Cure Light Wounds, Updraft (Spell Compendium)

I was also thinking about Sign, Obscuring Mist and Resurgence but Updraft seemed more fun and much stronger since it's a swift. There is a risk of running out of spells per day with it but since she fights well with a weapon that should be fine. I also considered Lesser Vigor instead of CLW but it's worse for emergency healing and undead, plus it's more confusing. She might swap it in at level 4. Amanuensis (Spell Compendium) is an alternative to Create Water. It's the Xerox text cantrip. Not sure how useful that is in your campaigns.

Equipment:
Whatever weapon is the deity's favored weapon.
A sling and 20 slingstones.
Scale Mail
A heavy wooden shield if a one handed weapon is used.
Adventurer's Kit (~6 gp & 13 lbs.): Waterskin, backpack, 2 trail rations, bedroll, flint and steel, belt pouch.
Scroll(s) of Obscuring Mist, Cure Light Wounds and/or Resurgence. I'd probably do an Obscuring Mist. And make a spell card for it:

Scroll of Obscuring Mist
Makes a big cloud around you. It reaches 4 squares in every direction. Nobody can see into the cloud so it makes it easier for everybody to run away.

Since this is a scroll you can only use it once and then it is gone forever.

Feats:
I'm not sure what optimization level you are playing with so put your favorite 2 melee combat feats here. Except I would stay away from power attack unless you plan on shock trooper. It's confusing, and it's a trap on medium BAB.

Cards:
I strongly second the use of cards. One should say Attack with (insert melee weapon), giving attack bonus and damage. Another Attack with Sling (leave out range increment, it's too confusing). Background pictures of weapons aren't bad (http://www.bible-archaeology.info/Sling4.jpg) (but aren't necessary for other things). Maybe a Charge card. Spell cards are a must. If you go with cleric then you should include a Turn Undead card. It should not have full rules, but it should say that this will make weak undead flee in terror, but big strong undead might not run. Likewise the spell cards might not have full spell rules but instead a guide. For example:

Detect Magic
Tells you all the pieces of treasure that are magic items and which parts of the dungeon are magical too.

Light
Makes a light on an object or person. It shines brightly up to 4 squares away, and dimly up to 8 squares away.

Create Water
Makes 2 gallons of water for every level you have. You can put it in one big container. Or you may put it in many smaller containers close together all at the same time. Or you can make it appear on the floor. it is good for drinking or putting out small fires.

Cure Minor Wounds
Heals the person you touch for 1 hp. Also if he is dying it stops him from dying.

Bless
You and your friends get a +1 morale bonus to attack rolls, and to saves against being afraid. It only lasts a little while, so cast it at the beginning of a fight.

Cure Light Wounds
Heals the person you touch for 1d8 + your level hp. Also if he is dying it stops him from dying.

If you touch an undead creature it hurts him instead, but you must roll an attack roll to try to hit him. If you don't hit him you may try again next turn.

Updraft
Wind lifts you up 10 feet in the air for every level you have. Then you fall back down gently. You may move 1 square to the side as you fall. This spell helps you get to high places or helps you get a clear shot with your sling with nobody in your way.

It only takes a Swift action to cast this spell, which means you can do something else on the same turn. For example you can fly up into the air then shoot your sling before you fall back down. Or you can hit somebody, step 1 square away, then Updraft and move another square to the side.

Aleolus
2016-01-02, 10:27 AM
My best advice for a first character is to follow KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid). Personally, I'd stick to core only for the characters, and try to stick to classes that have minimal per day abilities, possibly even avoiding them at all. Ranger would be a good choice for this, as would fighter, Rogue or Monk. Casters start getting trickier though. Warlock would probably be an ok dip out of core for Arcane, I would actually recommend Favored Soul over Cleric, that way they won't need to worry about preparing spells

Amphetryon
2016-01-02, 10:36 AM
Crusader (use the index cards, even ask the 7-year old to help you write them so she has a better chance to process the choices that will come up randomly)

Warlock (point and shoot. Obviously simple to run)

Dragonfire Adept (another point and shoot)

John Longarrow
2016-01-02, 03:37 PM
Two very important questions that can help guild the character SHE will like;
1) Does she like FPS on console?
2) Does she like social activities more than FPS?

For a very 'FPS' type character you can go with the stereotype; Female Elven Ranger.
For a more social character Bard. If you do bard, pick her spells out for her and use the pathfinder 'any 0 level at will'. This means she gets to do singing and talking because the character does.

Troacctid
2016-01-02, 03:46 PM
Player's Handbook II has a ton of helpful sample character packages in it, most of which are simple enough.

Warrnan
2016-01-02, 04:23 PM
This is all great stuff. She has played league of legends with me and a final fantasy style game on her iPhone and a little WoW.

Her favorite character was Sona. A spammy healer type character. Perhaps I'll make a bard with a sideways bow. That would be fairly similar.

I will definitely make spontaneous characters and at will characters. I was planning on borrowing the pathfinder at will Cantrips rule for sure. That way if she runs "oom" she'll always have something to contribute.

Great ideas everyone! I'm looking forward to seeing what she chooses.

John Longarrow
2016-01-02, 04:29 PM
Will she be in a solo adventure or will there be other players?

FocusWolf413
2016-01-02, 04:51 PM
Don't you think 7 is a little too young to introduce someone to D&D?

John Longarrow
2016-01-02, 06:09 PM
I don't think so. I was about 10 when I started.

Depends mostly on if SHE is interested and would like to learn how to play. Otherwise its a lot like playing dolls with rules on interaction. As she's already played WoW she should be fairly familiar with how this kind of game goes.

Warrnan
2016-01-02, 07:34 PM
My daughter reads well ahead of her age. The other day she saw me writing up a druid and asked me what I was doing. I explained it and she said cool. She has played things like munchkin with me so it's not too far of a stretch.

When this happens it will be me and her against the world. Lol. I will make sure she is the star of the show. I've done similar things with two of my friends. 2 player DNd is Totally possible if the party makeup is carefully chosen or if the adventures skip things like traps when there no trapfinder. Etc. Played a 2 player campaign with one friend for nearly 2 years. Haha.

And she likes the funny shaped dice.