PDA

View Full Version : The Fonts of D&D 5th Edition

Scorpienne
2016-01-01, 02:28 PM
I thought this was interesting...

firstblood20.tumblr.com/post/119546594358/the-fonts-of-dd-5th-edition

The fonts and style of the 5th Edition line, in case you want to make prettier custom stuff for your games. Most of these fonts are paid for, but a WotC forum thread talks about fonts that make good substitutes.
I’ll post here the exchange, as the forums will be soon closed:
“Random D&D 5e fact (in case anyone wants to make matching documents): The all-caps header font used in the D&D Basic rules is Berthold Baskerville with the first letter of each word approximately two font sizes larger than the rest of the word. The text of the document uses Bookman Headline.”
“I dunno. I see MrsEaves, which is clearly based on Baskerville but is unlikely to be exactly the same. Rather than changing font sizes, I see MrsEavesXLSerifOT and MrsEavesSmallCaps.Similarly I see Bookmania rather than Bookman Headline. Clearly based on Bookman, but I don’t think it exists in any larger optical sizes.Am I missing something?
Baskerville seems to be a close match, but not an exact one. It worked for my purposes. (making a reference sheet that’s similar to another RPG’s product)When I used a website to identify the fonts Bookmania was another suggestion for a match. When I looked really closely, it seemed Bookman Headline was a better match, but YMMV.
I’m seeing:
Bookmania (Body),
Interstate (Character Sheet Footers),
Modesto Text (Version # and download notice)
Mrs Eaves All Small Caps (Page Footers),
Mrs Eaves Small Caps (Chapter/Sections Headings)
Scala Sans Sc Offc (Sidebar and Table Headings)
Mrs Eaves XL Serif OT (Third Party Quotations; e.g. Race entries)
Scala Sans Offc (Sidebar/Table Body and Character Sheet)
Mrs Eaves Small Caps is the better match for the chapter and section headings. Thank you.
What fonts would equivalent that are freely available?
For Bookmania or Bookman, fontspace.com/category/urw%20bookman%20l seems to be a free version.

Edit: Looking at it the commas, quotation marks, and parentheses do not match, and the x-height seems to be lower.I cannot find a free version of Baskerville with small caps. Edit 2: Real small caps seem to be a nuisance to use anyway, so you might possibly get acceptable results with fontsquirrel.com/fonts/libre-baskerville.