PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need help for Psionic Campaign

Adoster
2016-01-01, 06:25 PM
Hey people, this is my second thread, I'm starting to DM a psionic campaign soon. I'm looking for a way to develop psionic variants for normal monsters. I'm currently working on a psionic version of an ogre mage, but since I'm not home I can't upload it now, I'll edit later. If anybody has any idea that could help me out, I'm taking everything you can give me.

Here are details I got so far

Psionics Only Campaign, Expanded Psionic handbook and Complete Psionic

Dromite Lurk, Duergar Psychic warrior or soulknife, Synad psion, erudite or wilder and Half-Giant Divine mind or Ardent

All start as 1st level characters.

Edit:

I want mostly to have them face Humanoids and ''little'' Giants in the beginning, then progressively make them face constructs and undead, and finally my favorites: Illithids. Eventual planar travel here and there. Basically i'm trying to make a Psionic dominated parallel universe.

I'll start my campaign with them having to work together to get out of some trouble that they will have to deal with later (a.k.a. the Psionic Ogre mage), wich will also happen to be the source of recent problems for a nearby town. They will eventually find out that there is something bigger behind all of this (Mostly Illithids) and will have to cleanse the mountains (a.k.a. kill the mother brain and her minions). That's that for the story line.

Here's what I got so far for the Psionic Ogre Mage. I based it pretty much on the ogre mage, in the Monster Manual, changed a bit his racial adjustments, replaced Regeneration 5 for fast healing 5 and made him naturally psionic with 3 bonus power points.

Purple Ogre (psionic equivalent to Ogre Mage)

Size/Type: Large Giant (Psionic)
Hit Dice: 5d8+20 (46 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40 ft, fly 40ft (good)
Armor Class: 19 (+1 Dex, -1 Size, +5 Natural, +4 chain shirt) Touch 10 Flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +3 / +11
Attack: Greatsword +6 melee (3d6+6/19-20) or Longbow + 3 ranged (2d6/x3)
Full Attack: Greatsword +6 melee (3d6+6/19-20) or Longbow + 3 ranged (2d6/x3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft/10 ft
Special Attacks: Psi-like abilities
Special Qualities: Naturally Psionic, Darkvision 60 ft, Fast Healing 5, Power resistance 19
Saves: Fort +8 Ref +2 Will +5
Abilities: Str 18 Dex 13 Con 18 Int 22 Wis 18 Cha 14
Skills: Concentration + 12, Hide +1, Listen +12, Psicraft +14, Spot +12, Survival +8
Feats: Psionic Weapon, Psionic Body
Challenge Rating: 8
Treasure: Double Standard
Alignment: Usually Lawful Evil

Psi-like abilities : At will : Chameleon, Control light (effect of Darkness spell [see CP page 70]).1/day : Charm, psionic (ML 1st, Will DC 17), Energy cone (9d6, DC 21*), Daze, psionic, (up to 12HD, Will DC 15*), Ectoplasmic form, Metamorphosis. Manifester level 9th, The saves DC are Intelligence-based

Naturally Psionic : A purple ogre is naturally psionic and thus gains a reserve of 3 power points. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class.

Flight (Su) : An ogre mage can cease or resume flight as a free action.While using ectoplasmic form it can fly at its normal speed and has perfect maneuverability

The purple Ogre described here had the following statistic before racial adjustments :Str 8 Dex 13 Con 12 Int 15 Wis 14 Cha 10

PURPLE OGRES AS CHARACTERS

Purple ogre characters possess the following racial traits.

+10 Strength, +6 Constitution, +6 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +4 Charisma.

Large size. –1 penalty to Armor Class, –1 penalty on attack rolls, –4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.

Giant (psionic)*: Purple Ogre are Giants with the psionic subtype

Space/Reach: 10 feet/10 feet.

A purple ogre’s base land speed is 40 feet. It also has a fly speed of 40 feet (good).

Darkvision : Purple ogres can see in the dark up to 60 feet.

Racial Hit Dice : A purple ogre begins with five levels of giant, which provide 5d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +3, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +4, Ref +1, and Will +1.

Racial Skills : A purple ogre's giant levels give it skill points equal to 8 × (2 + Int modifier
[minimum 1]). It's class skills are Concentration, Listen, Psicraft, and Spot.

Racial Feats : A purple ogre's giant levels give it two feats.

+5 natural armor bonus.

Special Attacks (see above) : Psi-like abilities.

Special Qualities (see above) : Naturally psionic, Fast Healing 5, Power resistance 19.

Automatic Languages : Common, Giant. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Goblin, Infernal, Orc.

Favored Class : Psion.

Level adjustment : +7.

Nifft
2016-01-01, 08:51 PM
Many regular monsters can be fine in a Psionic campaign. Anything without a spell-like ability is probably safe, and some things can easily swap out a psi-like ability instead.

Fey, for example. They do Charm and Enchantments in core, with some Transmutation, and that maps pretty well into Telepathy with some Psychometabolism.

Do you have an excuse for undead to exist?

Are the Outer Planes a thing in your setting? If so, you may want variant Outsiders, but some of the low-level ones can work fine as-is... e.g., a Hellhound breathes fire, but otherwise isn't very special. Many of the more powerful Outsiders have a lot of spell-like abilities, so you're probably going to want to either re-write a whole lot of them, or throw them away entirely.

Are the Elemental Planes a thing in your setting? There are a few Psionic Elementals, like the Crysmal, but for stuff like Mephits you'd want to change their one spell-like ability out for a psi-like ability.

J-H
2016-01-01, 09:13 PM
Where is the story going? What sort of enemy will they be facing? Monsters? Outsiders? NPC badguy? That's going to help us know what helps.

I would try to find cranium rats (I think they're in a MM?). Aranea (SRD) are pretty easy to convert to psionics, and work well for intelligent monsters (or neutral non-humanoids). It's pretty easy to take a dinosaur or animal, give it some crystalline skin, and a few PP per day to power a PLA (Stegosaurus with Stomp, a spitter with Entangling Ectoplasm, a bear with Expansion, etc.). If it's a herbivore, it wants a way to get away or hinder an attacker; if it's a predator, it wants a way to slow or disable prey, or do more damage.

In place of Undead, you could have some very cheap psionically animated constructs (ectoplasmically charged skeletons, mini-golems, etc).

DrMotives
2016-01-01, 09:39 PM
Don't forget the gem dragons, they're already psions and allow you to use all sorts of dragon-themed stuff without having to switch magic over to psionic powers.

Adoster
2016-01-02, 01:38 AM
thanks guys, as you can see I edited my previous post, let me know what you think.

J-H
2016-01-02, 08:00 AM
That Ogre Mage is an overwhelming challenge until level 3 or level 4.

You don't actually need to do full statblocks for most of your monsters. Unless it's a recurring villain, you can just say "22hp, saves of x/y/z, to-hit of x, will use these powers for 5 rounds and then be out of PP" and not even get into feats or STR/DEX/CON scores. Save yourself some time by taking shortcuts.

Adoster
2016-01-02, 09:12 AM
That Ogre Mage is an overwhelming challenge until level 3 or level 4.

I know my players, they will try to see if they can just escape somehow (They don't know yet, but they will have some help, an npc will hold him back with entangling ectoplasm s they can run away)

You don't actually need to do full statblocks for most of your monsters. Unless it's a recurring villain, you can just say "22hp, saves of x/y/z, to-hit of x, will use these powers for 5 rounds and then be out of PP" and not even get into feats or STR/DEX/CON scores. Save yourself some time by taking shortcuts.

Thanks for the idea, but at the same time I do this to help out other DMs that might want to use this monster for their campaign, so they (or I) don't need to browse different books, i'll post this in a thread i'll start in the homebrew section.

Adoster
2016-01-02, 04:51 PM
In place of Undead, you could have some very cheap psionically animated constructs (ectoplasmically charged skeletons, mini-golems, etc).

I plan on eventually make them meet some spectral savants (including the helping NPC)