PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Dungeon Crasher Fighters: Knockback vs Brutal Surge

Dhurkst
2016-01-01, 09:20 PM
I'm making a Dungeon Crasher Fighter (with Powerful Build), and I'm torn between taking the Knockback feat or the Brutal Surge enchantment. What are your opinions on their pros & cons, and which do you think is better? Thank you very much!

OldTrees1
2016-01-01, 09:37 PM
Knockback
Pro:
Unlimited uses
Nonaction
+2*PA on Str check
Con:
Does not provoke
Costs a feat

Brutal Surge
Pro:
Movement provokes
+2 on Str check
Con:
Usuable 1+Con/day
Costs an enchantment
Swift action

I prefer Knockback

Necroticplague
2016-01-01, 10:16 PM
Knockback. Brutal Surge only works 1/round, while Knockback allows you to do massive amounts of damage by repeatedely pounding a dude into a wall. Especially true because Knockback opens up using large amounts of natural weapons, while Brutal Surge only works wwith the one enchanted weapon.

StreamOfTheSky
2016-01-02, 02:58 AM
The primary benefit of Brutal Surge over Knockback is not having to be large to obtain it. That's a serious issue for many characters. If you can qualify for Knockback and can spare the feat chain it requires, it's definitely better. I use Brutal Surge on characters who just plain can't get Knockback.
If you do have knockback, Shock Trooper is a really good feat to tack on, too. You already have the other feats required anyway by then. It lets you send foes in diagonal paths and knock down foes in the way of the hurtling victim. (It has the Power Attack penalty to AC thing that most take it for as well, of course)

Knockback. Brutal Surge only works 1/round, while Knockback allows you to do massive amounts of damage by repeatedely pounding a dude into a wall. Especially true because Knockback opens up using large amounts of natural weapons, while Brutal Surge only works wwith the one enchanted weapon.

You can also Knockback on AoOs, which is nice.

Troacctid
2016-01-02, 03:20 AM
Knockback, not close.