PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Abyssal Rewards: What's in it for CE?

Desril
2016-01-02, 10:47 AM
So, we all know that souls get judged and go to the appropriate plane for them, barring pacts or class features that send you elsewhere anyway, but what is in it for those of Chaotic Evil alignments?

I'm of the opinion that whether you get punished or rewarded in the afterlife isn't a simple case of "good gets rewarded, evil punished" but rather how well you fit the ethos of the plane in question. Someone who was kind of okay in life might get a pretty 'meh' Heaven compared to a legendary hero who saved countless lives without ever harming a fly. But what about the Abyss? In some rare instances, some individuals get to skip straight to demonhood, which is great for them, but that's supposedly extremely rare. The vast majority become Larvae, and existence as larvae is...well....they're barely intelligent, practically powerless, and are seen as little more than food or material components to the natives. So where's the reward here? If the larvae were smarter and had a better survival rate it wouldn't be an issue, but as it is, even the most vile and evil CE petitioners are going to be doomed to a pretty short and miserable abyssal existence with no chance to survive on their own power. Luck, and the mercy of a demon is about their only chance.

So...what am I missing? Why would people choose evil (without an arrangement guaranteeing automatic ascension to demonhood)?

Darth Ultron
2016-01-02, 11:10 AM
So...what am I missing? Why would people choose evil (without an arrangement guaranteeing automatic ascension to demonhood)?

Every CE person thinks they will be that one exception.

CockroachTeaParty
2016-01-02, 11:48 AM
I imagine that for the vast majority of regular people, from unlearned peasants to your rank-and-file orc in a massive horde, have an extremely poor understanding of planar metaphysics. A regular joe with a rank in Knowledge (religion) or (planes) would be pretty darn rare, and for most of those people, they probably aren't thinking about their 'eternal reward,' especially if they're as selfish and flighty as a Chaotic Evil alignment typically exemplifies.

Their souls, which become larvae, are the food, fuel, and currency of the Abyss. I think of it less as a CE petitioners 'reward,' but more that the very existential existence of Chaos and Evil combined, which manifests in the multiverse as the Abyss, has a corrupting influence on mortals. The very existence of the Abyss taints souls, leading them to a path of damnation, and when they die, their wretched souls are just fuel for the fire.

Now, for someone learned enough to think that they can get some sort of Abyssal reward for their 'service,' they're going to be A.) much more rare, and B.) a more exaggerated example of the CE alignment. Multiply the selfishness, depravity, and corruption by whatever factor you want, but there likely will be a high instance of these people being delusional enough to think that they are 'special,' and that they'll reap some dark reward.

I forget the exact quote, but Xykon basically said that dying was for suckers, especially if you're really evil.

Starbuck_II
2016-01-02, 11:48 AM
Luck, and the mercy of a demon is about their only chance.

1) people think they are the "Chosen One" thus get to skip to demon hood.
2) ignorant/Stupidly don't think of consequences of actions (they don't know or don't find out where afterlife leads)
3) They don't believe in afterlife (believe tales of it are a myth).
4) Disbelieve the rewards of evil are as listed.

Inevitability
2016-01-02, 11:54 AM
A Larva might be stupid and weak, but they are also free. A larva needs not food or drink, is not bound by any laws, and is in fact directly encouraged to only care about itself. To some chaotic evil people, this ultimate freedom might be a reward of some sort.

Spore
2016-01-02, 12:01 PM
The Shadow Demon implies that demons are made out of several sinners fused together in one entity. I feel that many of the rules from the BoVD - although another system - imply that you need 17 HD worth of creatures to create a HD 17 demon. Similar to how you need a HD 18 corpse to create a HD 17 undead.

Shadow Demon

When a particularly envious and evil mortal soul is pulled into the Abyss, it is transformed, split apart, and combined with other souls until what emerges is little more than jealous malevolence without the impediment of a physical body.

Darth Ultron
2016-01-02, 01:35 PM
I imagine that for the vast majority of regular people, from unlearned peasants to your rank-and-file orc in a massive horde, have an extremely poor understanding of planar metaphysics. A regular joe with a rank in Knowledge (religion) or (planes) would be pretty darn rare, and for most of those people, they probably aren't thinking about their 'eternal reward,' especially if they're as selfish and flighty as a Chaotic Evil alignment typically exemplifies.

I would think all the regular people would know all about the basics of the afterlife. Things like ''what happens to a soul after a person dies'' would be like a DC 10 check. And the vast majority of common folk would not have rank ranks in most knowledge skills. But not everyone. Adepts, Aristocrats and Experts all can take ranks in knowledge easily.

And then there is religion. 100 people don't need to have lots of ranks in knowledge skills, only a couple priests do. And the couple priest can tell 100, 1,000 or even 10,000 people or more. It is, in fact, what a lot of priests do for a living.

Banjoman42
2016-01-02, 01:41 PM
I would think all the regular people would know all about the basics of the afterlife. Things like ''what happens to a soul after a person dies'' would be like a DC 10 check. And the vast majority of common folk would not have rank ranks in most knowledge skills. But not everyone. Adepts, Aristocrats and Experts all can take ranks in knowledge easily.

And then there is religion. 100 people don't need to have lots of ranks in knowledge skills, only a couple priests do. And the couple priest can tell 100, 1,000 or even 10,000 people or more. It is, in fact, what a lot of priests do for a living.
But would a CE person believe the word of a good priest? They might just dismiss it as "Society brainwashing you".

Florian
2016-01-02, 01:43 PM

Nothing. The authors screwed up royally here.

Spore
2016-01-02, 01:47 PM
Nothing. The authors screwed up royally here.

Or maybe they wanted to keep things simple and leave room for the DM to interpret it. It is a P&P game after all.

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-01-02, 02:31 PM
Building off the 'unlearned' idea, there could also be a significant amount of 'my god will save me'. And then, there are those that think its all pointless in the face oblivion, like those that worship Elder Gods and the like.

Esprit15
2016-01-02, 03:46 PM
A good point is that CE people who worship a CE god tend to wind up in the same plane (or layer) as their deity, which bypasses some of the awfulness that is the abyss. Otherwise, it basically is the general mix of not thinking about it and "I'll be that one that rises above the heap of others. They all failed because they didn't think/do/know/verb what I think/do/know/verb."

Zanos
2016-01-02, 05:25 PM
In the default cosmology, I was under the impression that the domains of Evil deities are not actually part of the lower planes. Evil adherents to deities would, presumably, wind up in their deities respective afterlife, who's quality varies.

GreyBlack
2016-01-02, 05:34 PM
So, we all know that souls get judged and go to the appropriate plane for them, barring pacts or class features that send you elsewhere anyway, but what is in it for those of Chaotic Evil alignments?

I'm of the opinion that whether you get punished or rewarded in the afterlife isn't a simple case of "good gets rewarded, evil punished" but rather how well you fit the ethos of the plane in question. Someone who was kind of okay in life might get a pretty 'meh' Heaven compared to a legendary hero who saved countless lives without ever harming a fly. But what about the Abyss? In some rare instances, some individuals get to skip straight to demonhood, which is great for them, but that's supposedly extremely rare. The vast majority become Larvae, and existence as larvae is...well....they're barely intelligent, practically powerless, and are seen as little more than food or material components to the natives. So where's the reward here? If the larvae were smarter and had a better survival rate it wouldn't be an issue, but as it is, even the most vile and evil CE petitioners are going to be doomed to a pretty short and miserable abyssal existence with no chance to survive on their own power. Luck, and the mercy of a demon is about their only chance.

What you're missing is that CE always lives for the now. They really don't care what lays beyond for them. If they can have a great now, then who cares what happens later? Also, if I can do horrible things and potentially be rewarded, then your champions of darkness have even more reason to strive for that goal. On the whole, though? The biggest reward for the Chaotic Evil character is being able to live unfettered of what other people want them to do, and do only what they want. Damn the consequences, if there are any.

Bobbybobby99
2016-01-02, 06:45 PM
When I do pathfinder I generally house rule that people go straight to being demonic/angelic/whatever, rather than going through the weird stages. I mean, why not? It certainly solves problems like this. So does ruling that the example larvae was of an Orc, and making them the same level of intelligent as in life, in which case you get the freedom and the sadomasochism down pat.

Cirrylius
2016-01-02, 07:47 PM
The Outer Planes aren't about rewarding your choices in life. It's just what the world becomes like when everyone is like YOU. You like the social contract? Here's some more, and hey, wow, everything gets a lot easier when everybody else is finally looking out for you, and not the other way around. Don't like the social contract? Now's your chance to do whatever you want, and the only consequence is so will everybody else, whether you like it or not.

illyahr
2016-01-02, 08:24 PM
Let's break down what the environment of the abyss actually entails:

*start at the lowest rung unless you have proven yourself greater than others
*each being in the abyss is in direct competition with each other
*the demon heirarchy is based on who is the strongest
*each demon answers only to others who have proven themselves stronger

For a CE being, this environment is everything they believed they wanted out of life. To answer to no one unless forced to, and to work themselves into positions of power solely based on their own strength.

Desril
2016-01-02, 08:28 PM
Let's break down what the environment of the abyss actually entails:

*start at the lowest rung unless you have proven yourself greater than others
*each being in the abyss is in direct competition with each other
*the demon heirarchy is based on who is the strongest
*each demon answers only to others who have proven themselves stronger

For a CE being, this environment is everything they believed they wanted out of life. To answer to no one unless forced to, and to work themselves into positions of power solely based on their own strength.

Now that I'm more awake, I like this point. When I made the post I was only thinking short term, and being a larvae would suck short term, but a determined soul could survive that, and then begin to dominate and rule.

Darth Ultron
2016-01-02, 09:03 PM
But would a CE person believe the word of a good priest? They might just dismiss it as "Society brainwashing you".

Why are you assuming the priest is good? A CE person would likely hear it from an evil priest.

Jack_Simth
2016-01-02, 10:14 PM
Why are you assuming the priest is good? A CE person would likely hear it from an evil priest.Yes, but a CE priest would likely spin it. Maybe it would start something like...

"What happens when we die? Well, we're transported to a realm of ultimate freedom; where everyone hates rules, and everyone gains power based solely on their own merits..."

avr
2016-01-02, 10:26 PM
For a bunch of CE creatures, they're embedded in a society which doesn't support and may openly undermine being a nice guy. If turning the other cheek gets you bullied and spat upon, and generosity is almost never returned (etc. for other virtues) being a nice guy in the hope of a better afterlife is hard.

I think there was some line somewhere which suggested that good afterlives might be more like sleeping as some part of the plane. Sleeping as a clump of grass in heaven might be better than being tortured as a lemure, but it doesn't necessarily look better.

Darth Ultron
2016-01-02, 10:26 PM
Yes, but a CE priest would likely spin it. Maybe it would start something like...

"What happens when we die? Well, we're transported to a realm of ultimate freedom; where everyone hates rules, and everyone gains power based solely on their own merits..."

It does depend on what kind of evil the priest is, of course.

Saying a CE would spin things is something a good person would say....

A lot of evil people like and follow evil as it is pure honesty, good is the side that lies.

Segev
2016-01-03, 01:15 AM
I hadn't heard this concept before, but let's explore it a bit. If a demon is formed by "merging" several souls (larvae) together, then how does the being's identity and sense of self form? It is somewhere, most likely, on a continuum between having the strongest of the wills/personalities involved dominate and be the "promoted" larva at one extreme, and being a complete blending and amalgam of the larvae that compose it on the other.

In fact, the very notion of it being somewhere on that continuum is likely the reality; who knows, when forging a new demon, where it lies? Some might be Bob the Psychopathic Butcher who subsumes the other 6 larvae completely to make that 7-HD Babau, while the 3-HD Quasit might be a complete blend of a murderous and untrustworthy street urchin, a politician who broke all the laws he himself passed and was responsible for enforcing for his own petty pleasures, and a child molester who never got caught because he was sneaky enough to get others blamed.

And in between will be the Marilith who's got 3-4 powerful personalities that have, over time, merged together to make one whole being that has subsumed the other 12-13 HD worth of demons slammed together to make her up.

So even their very existence and advancement as supernatural beings holds the CE truth of the strongest ruling the weakest; they war within their merged forms to dominate, control, and retain the most of themselves and their drives. Because even the babau formed from Bob likely has a few urges, preferences, or habits that were not Bob's in life nor the larva he became's in death. They're remnants from the other, weaker larvae that Bob consumed and subsumed to make himself more powerful.

In fact, "natural" demonic evolution probably involves consuming and subsuming/merging with other demons. Larvae are "food" that doesn't always help one advance because often the "soul bit" that is the actual identity isn't fully added. It escapes, excreted like waste product from a living being's meals rather than being forced into compliance (or even out-and-out rejected because the dominating "self" of the consuming demon can't merge it in in a way that pleases it; selfish beings fear change to their own wills and may reject things that aren't "perfect fits"), and this waste reforms somewhere on the Abyss as a random new larva. Tormented, exhausted, beaten, but still a soul with a history, waiting to be reclaimed or to find its own way to power.

Demons which are willing to abandon an identity may consume willy-nilly, merging and subsuming as they can, growing rapidly stronger but very soon ceasing to be the being, the "self," they once were as stronger personalities take over or the merging adds and shifts priorities entirely. Demons like this are likely viewed as "mad" even amongst their own kind, until they eat the right (or wrong) other demon and stabilize due to the collection of dominant souls ceasing to be willing to allow such rapid change.

Kind-of like Hollows in Hueco Mundo, if you're familiar with the reference: eating other demons makes them stronger, but changes them in other ways.

So the "bad" fate of those too weak to elevate in their ideals is to become a protected sub-part of a greater-willed entity, and to have some aspect, perhaps, of their drives and goals and even memories and self echoed in the greater being. They're weak, but at least they've got influence according to what strength they do have. In a way, all of the demons in charge are success stories for EVERY larva that makes them up, even if the greater demonic whole has only a little of each larva's drives, dominated by one strong or several merged personalities who have greater contribution to their nature.

If it's truly strength of personality/will, too, then it could be that the most venal and pathetic of CE mortals can die and have their overpowering urges and desires strongly dominate in whatever demon he ultimately becomes a part of. He's not strong enough to do anything on his own, but he's strong enough in his selfish, vile desires to subsume the greater competence of other larvae and make that a driving force of the demon he becomes. Even if it's another larva's intelligence, another's people skills, and others' physical and emotional strengths which make the greater demonic whole able to pursue these urges with far greater effect.

Florian
2016-01-03, 03:22 AM
Or maybe they wanted to keep things simple and leave room for the DM to interpret it. It is a P&P game after all.

Nah, donīt think so.
Rather, I think this still goes back to the old satanic witchhunt and they still avoid that the evil guys get anything that could be a good reward or a good afterlife. Heck, all the lower planes are just some sort of punishment and that goes against the established logic and lore...

SangoProduction
2016-01-03, 03:51 AM
You think those who do suicide bombings do it knowing they'll burn for eternity in someone else's definition of afterlife? No, they believed they'd go to their heaven and be rewarded for their sacred acts.

You think rapists give a damn? In all likelihood they don't, or if they do, then they've been taught that doing x will make y right, and they won't burn.

Do you think a cult (regardless of if they know of the eventual fate of worshippers) would actually tell those they recruited that they'd be burning in the abyss, tortured by demons until their souls dissipate or are eaten?

What you're missing is that CE always lives for the now. They really don't care what lays beyond for them. If they can have a great now, then who cares what happens later? Also, if I can do horrible things and potentially be rewarded, then your champions of darkness have even more reason to strive for that goal. On the whole, though? The biggest reward for the Chaotic Evil character is being able to live unfettered of what other people want them to do, and do only what they want. Damn the consequences, if there are any.

This.

Florian
2016-01-03, 04:17 AM
You think those who do suicide bombings do it knowing they'll burn for eternity in someone else's definition of afterlife? No, they believed they'd go to their heaven and be rewarded for their sacred acts.

You think rapists give a damn? In all likelihood they don't, or if they do, then they've been taught that doing x will make y right, and they won't burn.

Do you think a cult (regardless of if they know of the eventual fate of worshippers) would actually tell those they recruited that they'd be burning in the abyss, tortured by demons until their souls dissipate or are eaten?

Nope. Just saying that there is some, letīs say, real world religious influence here, ox manure like "Heaven = reward", "Hell = punishment".
This real world sensibilities donīt mesh well with how the outer planes and the afterlife ought to work.
Die > Stand in line for Judgement > Go to relevant outer plane > Petitioner > Reborn on outer plane as reward, maybe in a form fitting to previous live.

Ok, Hell was a bad example because they mostly stick to it, but most other lower planes eff this up and the reward part doesnīt work. Fanatical suicide bomber? Welcome back to your new life as suicide bomber demon. Doesnīt work out because a new demon has nothing to do with the former personality.

icefractal
2016-01-03, 05:10 AM
First off, information on the afterlife is likely to be out there, but so is disinformation. The priest of Pelor shows up one week and explains why it's important to be good. Then the next week, Hextor clerics come through and say that's all BS, the the strong rule the weak in the afterlife, and achieving power in this world is the best way to be one of those rulers. And people might just as easily believe the second, especially if it suits them to be evil anyway and this provides a convenient justification.

Second, even accurate knowledge is no guarantee of correct actions. Like, IRL, it's a known fact that proper diet and exercise will give you a longer, healthier, life. Not even debated, really. And yet, I don't eat the healthiest possible food or exercise as much as I should. The part of the brain that makes logical decisions isn't as much in control as we like to think it is.

Third, people who are being evil "for the greater good" or to save/protect another person might be willing to damn themselves in the process. Or not believe that they would actually be damned when their goal is so noble.

Fourth, some people might think they have a trick to avoid it, like repenting just before death, or becoming immortal, or setting up something to redirect their soul, or whatever. And at the point it doesn't work, it's too late.

And fifth, some people might be arrogant or foolhardy enough to trust in being one of the ones promoted straight to demon, or one of the larva that advances to that state quickly. Being a high-ranking demon seems like a pretty sweet deal.

All that said, I prefer more of a symmetrical afterlife arrangement myself. Which can still be pretty unpleasant for CE, in a "In hell, they starve because they can't reach their own mouths. In heaven, they feed each-other" kind of way. If the "judgment" mechanism is just that you get sorted with other people of the same alignment ... in a place where everything is shapeable ... that's going to lead to very different places.

Starbuck_II
2016-01-03, 01:40 PM
First off, information on the afterlife is likely to be out there, but so is disinformation. The priest of Pelor shows up one week and explains why it's important to be good. Then the next week, Hextor clerics come through and say that's all BS, the the strong rule the weak in the afterlife, and achieving power in this world is the best way to be one of those rulers. And people might just as easily believe the second, especially if it suits them to be evil anyway and this provides a convenient justification.

Second, even accurate knowledge is no guarantee of correct actions. Like, IRL, it's a known fact that proper diet and exercise will give you a longer, healthier, life. Not even debated, really. And yet, I don't eat the healthiest possible food or exercise as much as I should. The part of the brain that makes logical decisions isn't as much in control as we like to think it is.

Third, people who are being evil "for the greater good" or to save/protect another person might be willing to damn themselves in the process. Or not believe that they would actually be damned when their goal is so noble.

Fourth, some people might think they have a trick to avoid it, like repenting just before death, or becoming immortal, or setting up something to redirect their soul, or whatever. And at the point it doesn't work, it's too late.

And fifth, some people might be arrogant or foolhardy enough to trust in being one of the ones promoted straight to demon, or one of the larva that advances to that state quickly. Being a high-ranking demon seems like a pretty sweet deal.

All that said, I prefer more of a symmetrical afterlife arrangement myself. Which can still be pretty unpleasant for CE, in a "In hell, they starve because they can't reach their own mouths. In heaven, they feed each-other" kind of way. If the "judgment" mechanism is just that you get sorted with other people of the same alignment ... in a place where everything is shapeable ... that's going to lead to very different places.

Ah, but what is debated? What counts as a balanced diet.
Remember they thought eggs were bad, but then they were good, then it was egg whites are good, but then they were bad. Then they decided eggs are good in general in moderation.

Jack_Simth
2016-01-03, 01:46 PM
Ah, but what is debated? What counts as a balanced diet.
Remember they thought eggs were bad, but then they were good, then it was egg whites are good, but then they were bad. Then they decided eggs are good in general in moderation.

Ah, but then there's lots of things that aren't debated at all - like, say, "no exercise leads to health problems" or "lots of greasy, fatty foods in your diet are bad for you" ... and there's still a rather lot of people who pretty much never exercise and get half their meals at fast-food joints, then supersize their fries.

Sure, there's debate on some of the finer points, and there's a fair number of things that they go back & forth on... but there's also a rather lot that's simply not in question at all that a lot of people flat-out ignore.

Segev
2016-01-03, 02:52 PM
I think it an overall more interesting and constructive exercise to look at what we're presented with in game and figure out how to make it work. Like the idea that demons are "formed" from multiple souls (larvae) being crammed together, and this embodies the CE ideal by how the strongest aspects of each break through to dominance in the ultimate demon created.

Or the hierarchy of hell gives the rule-abusing monsters all the tools they need to climb the infernal ladder, if they're just clever and ruthless enough to do so.

Or the howling halls of pandemonium may be maddening, but they're PRIVATE, and you can avoid others or hunt others to hurt in privacy, without having to worry about larger-scale matters because your world is reduced to the cavern you're in.

SangoProduction
2016-01-03, 09:47 PM
Nope. Just saying that there is some, letīs say, real world religious influence here, ox manure like "Heaven = reward", "Hell = punishment".
This real world sensibilities donīt mesh well with how the outer planes and the afterlife ought to work.
Die > Stand in line for Judgement > Go to relevant outer plane > Petitioner > Reborn on outer plane as reward, maybe in a form fitting to previous live.

Ok, Hell was a bad example because they mostly stick to it, but most other lower planes eff this up and the reward part doesnīt work. Fanatical suicide bomber? Welcome back to your new life as suicide bomber demon. Doesnīt work out because a new demon has nothing to do with the former personality.

You missed the point of what was being said in the analogy, focusing too much on what was literally said.

They don't think they are in for any sort of punishment. They think they will be rewarded for their actions, or they simply disbelieve, regardless of whatever may come. At the very least, this is for the majority of cases. There are some nut jobs that think punishment is for the best or something, but those would be fringe cases.

Cirrylius
2016-01-04, 02:30 AM
Why are you assuming the priest is good? A CE person would likely hear it from an evil priest.

Yes, but a CE priest would likely spin it. Maybe it would start something like...

Being a CE badass in an exploitable Averaging-Out-To-True-Neutral societ(ies) is a very different kettle of fish from being the newest forever-recruit in a CE society that is deeply hatefully exploitative enough to use you as mere building material right through the door.

Pointing that out would both invalidate free will and lose the cleric a new recruit, though, so it doesn't get brought up much :smallbiggrin:

Florian
2016-01-04, 03:10 AM
You missed the point of what was being said in the analogy, focusing too much on what was literally said.

They don't think they are in for any sort of punishment. They think they will be rewarded for their actions, or they simply disbelieve, regardless of whatever may come. At the very least, this is for the majority of cases. There are some nut jobs that think punishment is for the best or something, but those would be fringe cases.

What īm saying is that they mixed up two concepts: buddhist-style Karma and abrahamitic-style Punishment. The difference is "going where you belong" and "getting what you deserve". That also shows in how the Judgement part is treated.

Either you die and Judgement just sorts out in which afterlife you belong.
Or you die and Judgment sorts out which punishment or reward you deserve.
Thatīs a big difference.

That can be showcased by looking at how some settings tread False and Faithless, as they are immediately sent to some sort of punishment and donīt go to any outer planes at all.

So, this special mesh-up only happens when it comes to the Good-Evil alignment axis. The "lower" outer planes tend to be punishment of the worst sort, NE and Daemons being the best example as Petitioners become The Hunted and their very soulstuff will be destroyed. Only those lucky enough to survive long enough will transform into Daemons themselves.

It doesnīt happen on the Chaotic-Lawfull alignment axis, though, as our cultural values apparently didīt influence the authors here all too much. Ok, Limbo doesnīt look too inviting...

A special case are direct followers of a god, as Petitioners tend to end up in that realm and enjoy sort of divine protection there.
And that is again a bit example how Karma, Reward and Punishment are mixed up.

CE and dead? Now youīre in for an afterlife of punishment.
CE, follower of a CE deity and dead? Now youīre in for an afterlife of reward.

As I see it, either the authors themselves didīt understand their own concepts or they did shy away from going thru with it on the basis of wanting to avoid a bad rep (Satanists!!!) by excluding punishment for the bad guys.

SangoProduction
2016-01-04, 11:18 AM
Well, with to Karma, there's essentially no afterlife, you are simply reincarnated as someone (/thing), based on how you performed to your role in this life. If you rebelled, or did a poor job, you became some animal or lower caste. If you served diligently, you were reborn to be of a higher birth.

That's...kinda reward/punishment deal... but on a more law/chaos perspective, I guess.

Eldonauran
2016-01-04, 01:34 PM
As I see it, either the authors themselves didīt understand their own concepts or they did shy away from going thru with it on the basis of wanting to avoid a bad rep (Satanists!!!) by excluding punishment for the bad guys.

I dunno. Whether or not they are entirely, 100%, consistent with the afterlife mechanics, I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. D&D is filled with extremely powerful creatures that are called gods, but that we all know are far from infallible or perfect. They are powerful enough to warp the realities of the plane they choose to inhabit, to bend the rules (to make them even), and power enough to influence places far from themselves.

Anyway, my point is ... Does it really matter how the afterlife is supposed to function? Let's suppose that it is just a sorting system after all and not a reward/punishment system. These 'gods' have the power to pull these souls into their own domain and then determines what happens to them afterwards. Evil gods will toy with lower subjects and will enjoy it, while promoting and giving favorable treatment to their favorite peons. Evil as an alignment is punishment all of its own accord, except perhaps for those at the very top.

The very existence of gods makes the afterlife a reflection of their ideals. This is where the reward/punishment paradox comes from.