PDA

View Full Version : Old School Dual-Class / MultiClass discussion

Theodoxus
2016-01-02, 10:51 AM
I'm looking at bringing back the 1e feel of mutliclassing (and Dual-Classing) within the 5e system. I want to preface this by stating two very important things:

1) This ISN'T gestalt. These aren't 20th level characters with crazy internal multiclassing builds that go something like Paladin 7/Fighter 3/Rogue 10//Wizard 20.
2) I know this won't be balanced to core. I'm not looking for opinions on how to make this balanced to core.

What I am looking for are opinions that will keep the three options for character creation more internally balanced with each other. Specifically, I'm looking at opinions on where I'm making my level breaks and how I'm handling multiple spell classes. Feedback in those areas is appreciated. Telling me this is broken, OP, not gonna fly, etc are less than constructive - this is happening, I'd just prefer a bit of 'theorycraft retuning' before bringing it live in a home game. With that, I appreciate your attention (and apologize in advance to the length of the post).

The multiclass rules in the 5th Ed PHB are optional. I'm not going to use them, as written, but have opted to create an offshoot that brings back the feel of old D&D while maintaining the balance structure inherent in the new rules. What follows takes the heart of the new multiclass rules and combines them with the flavor from 1st edition and melds them into a new whole.

At the start of character creation, a player must decide if they want to be a single class (with the option to become a dual class character) or start as a multiclass character. Because of the way the multiclass rules are set up, this is an unalterable choice from the start. One should have clear expectations and desires for their characters career before embarking on their creation. Please read through all the rules below before deciding on how to build your character.

As an overview, a single class character will choose a single class and stick with it their entire career. Using the various archetype options to differentiate and empower their choice, they forego breadth of options for specialization that is unmatched by other class options. The single classed character is the only one capable of reaching the level 20 capstone in their chosen class.

A dual classed character starts life as a single class character, but at some point, decides to transition into another class. The only restriction is they must meet the multiclass guidelines set forth in the Player's Handbook for attributes. Thus, to dual class into a Fighter from Wizard, the character must have a 13 or greater Intelligence, 13 or greater Constitution and either a 13 or greater Dexterity or Strength.

A multiclassed character is different. Picking between 2 and 4 distinct classes, they progress all classes at the same time. This does slow their development in comparison to single and dual classed characters, but the breadth of power and versatility tends to make up the difference in outright power. Multiclassed characters also need to meet the attribute requirements for the classes they're choosing. As such, three and four class combinations are rare, though possible.

Mechanics of the Dual Class option:
Given that your character is starting with a single class, you of course get all the abilities and proficiencies of that class. When you decide to enter a second class, provided you meet the prerequisites, you don't get everything from the new class. First, your experience is set to zero and you begin as a first level member of your new class. You don't gain any hit dice, hit points or proficiencies. Your Proficiency Bonus does not increase and you don't gain any new saving throw proficiencies.
You do gain all class abilities as noted in your new class, including any spell slots your new class might provide. For spellcasting, each class is considered unique; instead of using the multiclass spellcasting chart, each class derives their own spells and spell slots. However, you can still cast any spell known from any spell slot available – provided the slot is high enough level to use for the spell in question.
Once your new class level exceeds your first class’ level, you begin to accumulate Proficiency bonuses again. Also, you gain proficiency with the Secondary Save of your new class (or gain Expertise in that save, if they’re the same stat). For instance, if you Dual Classed from Fighter to Barbarian, both classes have Strength as a Secondary Save, so you would double your Proficiency bonus to Strength saves. If instead, you had Dual Classed from Fighter to Wizard, you would instead gain Proficiency in Int Saves, as that is the Secondary Save for Wizards. You also gain the starting skill proficiencies of your second class at this time. Other than the prerequisites required to enter a second class, there is no restriction on what that class is (although you can’t choose the same class twice).

Dual Class Maximums

First Class Level
Second Class Level Maximum

-

Mechanics of the Multiclass Option:

Mutliclassed characters begin their careers with two or more classes. The choices are limited, based on the four generic class types: Adept, Mage, Scoundrel and Warrior (described below). Choosing only two classes provides more flexibility, the only restriction being that the two classes must have at least 1 Save (Primary or Secondary) that is different. When multiclassing between three or more classes, no two classes can belong to the same generic class type.
The generic class types are comprised of:
Adept – Cleric, Druid and Paladin. Priests and Holy Warriors.
Mage – Sorcerer, Warlock and Wizard. Arcane casters.
Scoundrels – Bard, Monk and Rogue. Shady characters who work best in the shadows.
Warriors – Barbarian, Fighter and Ranger. People of action.

Multiclassed characters receive skill proficiencies for the class of their choice, and then 1 additional for each class after the first. They receive all weapon and armor proficiencies from all their classes. They receive proficiency in three Saving Throws of their choice, but two must be Secondary Saves, unless the classes have those saves in common. (For instance, a multiclassed Fighter/Monk has Strength in common for their Secondary Save, so they’d be proficient in Con, Dex and Str.) They utilize the Multiclass Chart from the Player’s Handbook for determining spell slots. For half and partial casters, add 1/2 and 1/3 level respectively to the table. For example: A 4th level Paladin/Sorcerer/Rogue (Arcane Trickster)/Ranger = Half/Full/Third/Half = 2+4+1+2=9th level spell slots. The same character at their maximum level (11th) would have 5+11+3+5=20th level spell slots (note the table doesn’t go above 20th level).

Multiclassed characters start with Hit Points equal to their highest hit die plus Con modifier. At higher levels, they take the average of their class Hit Die. The example above, would start with d10+Con mod (Paladin and Ranger have a d10) and then every level, would take the average of the roll of 2d10+1d8+1d6)+Con Mod. (Alternatively, you could take the average of the standard allotment for the classes – (6+5+4+6) = 5+Con Mod.)

Multiclassed XP Chart

Level
Multiclass (2 Classes)
Mutliclass (3 Classes)
Multiclass (4 Classes)

-
-
-

-

-

-

-
-

-
-

-
-

tieren
2016-01-02, 11:11 AM
I think you may need a specific rule for paladins. It seems to me any paladin capable of multiclassing would easily be able to go 4 classes (paladin/warlock/bard/fighter).

Maybe restrict them from multiclassing withe the warriors.

Tanarii
2016-01-02, 11:19 AM
A few points, based on the original rules:

Dual class characters shouldn't get any XP for an encounter if they use any class feature, spells, or spell slots from their original class. This restriction should be lifted when their new class level exceeds their original class level.
That makes the level maximums chart pretty pointless for Dual-class characters. A player would have to be fairly insane to Dual-class past a certain level, gimping themselves (and the party) hugely.

Multiclass characters xp charts look screwy to me. Far too low. The original way it worked way was to split XP evenly among all classes. That'd mean level 2 should take 600 XP for a two class character, and 3 should take 1800. It looks like you went for 3/4 that value? Why?

Edit: Also, if you're really going for that old school feel, only Humans should be allowed to Dual-class, and only non-humans Multiclass. And specific Multiclass combinations at that. ;)

twas_Brillig
2016-01-02, 11:30 AM
Mutliclassed characters begin their careers with two or more classes. The choices are limited, based on the four generic class types: Adept, Mage, Scoundrel and Warrior (described below). Choosing only two classes provides more flexibility, the only restriction being that the two classes must have at least 1 Save (Primary or Secondary) that is different.
The generic class types are comprised of:
Adept – Cleric, Druid and Paladin. Priests and Holy Warriors.
Mage – Sorcerer, Warlock and Wizard. Arcane casters.
Scoundrels – Bard, Monk and Rogue. Shady characters who work best in the shadows.
Warriors – Barbarian, Fighter and Ranger. People of action.
Just to be clear: are you missing a sentence here explaining the exact limitation derived from the generic class types? Based off of "Choosing only two classes provides more flexibility, the only restriction being that the two classes must have at least 1 Save (Primary or Secondary) that is different." I'm guessing something like "When multiclassing between three or more classes, no two classes can belong to the same generic class type."

That said, I don't have any useful balance feedback right now. I'm interested to see the discussion on this shake out, though.

EDIT: I'm vaguely remembering someone's blog post breaking down 5e level progressions into areas of fast and slow progession -- I think it might have been in the context of why they felt the need to homebrew a different ranger progression? If anyone remembers the same article, that sort of logic might be a good starting point for seeing how balanced these progressions are at different levels of play.

Malifice
2016-01-02, 11:45 AM
If I played in your campaign I would totes be a Fighter or vengance paladin, ride it out to 11th and then DC into Wizard, Sorcerer or Warlock (to 18th level).

Although a MC Wizard [bladesinger]/ Fighter [EK] / Cleric has 9th level spell slots as a 8th level character at just 85,000 xp when everyone else is 11th level.

That said, Paladin/ Bladesinger/ Fighter [EK] also looks tasty. I would have to wait to 160,000 xp [when paltry humans are still 14th level] and 10th level (Wizard 10 + Paladin 5 + Fighter 3) for 9th level spells. Would have a ridiculous AC, and spam a ton of damage at higher levels (3 attacks + action surge 3 more + haste + divine smie + greater divine smite + bonus action cantrip).

Ninth level slots when SC characters are 14th level, winding up with 11 feats/ ASI, proficiency in three [wisdom, strength and con will do - Dex, Cha and Cha will be high enough as is] and Cha to all saves?

Theodoxus
2016-01-02, 11:45 AM
Just to be clear: are you missing a sentence here explaining the exact limitation derived from the generic class types? Based off of "Choosing only two classes provides more flexibility, the only restriction being that the two classes must have at least 1 Save (Primary or Secondary) that is different." I'm guessing something like "When multiclassing between three or more classes, no two classes can belong to the same generic class type."

Nice catch! Yes, I added that to my personal dock - I'll edit the OP as well.

A few points, based on the original rules:

Dual class characters shouldn't get any XP for an encounter if they use any class feature, spells, or spell slots from their original class. This restriction should be lifted when their new class level exceeds their original class level.
That makes the level maximums chart pretty pointless for Dual-class characters. A player would have to be fairly insane to Dual-class past a certain level, gimping themselves (and the party) hugely.

I originally thought about including this stipulation. My problem, as a DM, is determining when that happens. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to tracking these sorts of things (or perhaps, too trusting - I don't track spells cast either... though if it becomes glaring (like a 1st level sorcerer constantly spamming MM) I'll bring it up.) I guess if anyone decides to go the Dual class route, I'll bring it up as an option.

Multiclass characters xp charts look screwy to me. Far too low. The original way it worked way was to split XP evenly among all classes. That'd mean level 2 should take 600 XP for a two class character, and 3 should take 1800. It looks like you went for 3/4 that value? Why?

I started with the cutoffs of 17/14/11 way before I looked at the XP for those levels. Because 5e doesn't use the same progression that 1e did, it throws off the numbers. I also tend to play by Milestone (which is why I looked at levels rather than XP to begin with) - but if people are using different tracts, Milestones will be a pain, so I opted to use the XP model as a first run through. I'll probably rework the actual numbers to bring them in line with the PHB xp chart.

Edit: Also, if you're really going for that old school feel, only Humans should be allowed to Dual-class, and only non-humans Multiclass. And specific Multiclass combinations at that. ;)

I also contemplated doing that, but felt that one of the things 2nd Ed, and more 3rd did right was remove the humano-centric feel of the game. But I can certainly run it past my players - they might want to harken back to that old school feel even more than I do ;)

If I played in your campaign I would totes be a Fighter or vengance paladin, ride it out to 11th and then DC into Wizard, Sorcerer or Warlock (to 18th level).

Although a MC Wizard [bladesinger]/ Fighter [EK] / Cleric has 9th level spell slots as a 8th level character at just 85,000 xp when everyone else is 11th level.

That said, Paladin/ Bladesinger/ Fighter [EK] also looks tasty. I would have to wait to 160,000 xp [when paltry humans are still 14th level] and 10th level (Wizard 10 + Paladin 5 + Fighter 3) for 9th level spells. Would have a ridiculous AC, and spam a ton of damage at higher levels (3 attacks + action surge 3 more + haste + divine smie + greater divine smite + bonus action cantrip). Winds up with 11 feats too, and Cha to all saves.

That does sound fun :)

ETA - so, it sounds like the multiclass spellcasters are too strong (or at least, are advancing their spell slots too quickly) - you can game the system to be able to punch out 9th level fireballs before a straight wizard gets 7th level spells. Is lack of upper limit spells not compensation for a breadth of higher level slots?

AuraTwilight
2016-01-02, 03:40 PM
http://hackslashmaster.blogspot.com/2014/11/on-multiclassing-in-5th-edition.html

Have you seen this? This exact topic's been addressed before and instead of reinventing the wheel, it might be productive to explain what you dislike about this model. it's what I've used in my games to great effect.

DanyBallon
2016-01-02, 06:13 PM
Nice system you got there, but I wouldn't as far as what you've done. Dual class could be implemented quite simply with the actual MC rules, but as soon as you get a level in a new class you can get take any level in the former. Restricting access to the former class abilities may not be needed.

As for as for regular MC, limit multiclassing two maximum three classes, and you can't have no more than 1 level difference between your classes.

djreynolds
2016-01-03, 04:04 AM
In a 3.5 game I DMed, I told players who wanted to multiclass that some restrictions may apply. I had a fighter who wanted to be a barbarian. I said you can multiclass, but you had to survive a challenge of sorts to explain how you came to these new powers. So unbeknownst to him, during a campaign I had him separated from the party and he had to survive three days with nothing and during this crucible as he was hounded, he was able to tap into this primal rage, like Drizzt did. And that next level he was able to select barbarian.

Now sorcerer was another odd one. Now I could see a sorcerer becoming a wizard, but a wizard becoming a sorcerer needed something else. I mean you never knew you had these powers, or perhaps they were repressed because you were in wizard schooling. So I had him lose part of his spell book, for part of an adventure, and his dependency on so many spells being used for all situations made him remember he had had these powers since birth.

MaxWilson
2016-01-03, 06:51 PM
http://hackslashmaster.blogspot.com/2014/11/on-multiclassing-in-5th-edition.html

Have you seen this? This exact topic's been addressed before and instead of reinventing the wheel, it might be productive to explain what you dislike about this model. it's what I've used in my games to great effect.

I had a DM who offered multi-classing using essentially those exact rules, except he also restricted the ASIs you gain on level-up so you didn't get double the ASIs. It was still immediately apparent to my powergamer instincts that this was obviously an overpowered option which I should grab and exercise immediately, and I made a Sharpshooter Fighter/Wizard with the intent of becoming an Eldritch Necromancer.

That campaign died soon thereafter due to table issues/life pressures, but I'm left with two feelings:

1.) I like AD&D-style dual/multiclassing infinitely better than 3E-style mix-and-match multiclassing, both mechanically and from a flavor perspective;

2.) Simply charging double experience makes multiclassing too powerful--it becomes a dominant option due to synergies between classes and the way 5E linearizes power growth; a 10/10 character has roughly the same XP total as a 14th level character but has in some ways the power of a roughly 20th level character. (E.g. look at total spell points for a 20th level cleric vs. a cleric 10/wizard 10 multiclass.[1])

I haven't thought too much about how to resolve the tension, and frankly I've just been using the built-in 5E multiclassing rules, but I will continue to follow threads like this one with interest.

One more thing: the one thing I find really dissatisfactory about 5E levelling isn't about multiclassing, it is dual classing. Due to the way 5E levelling works, early choices get locked in. If my character studied the sword for a while (up to a moderately-proficient Fighter 4), but then gets interested in magic, he can never progress to 9th level spells even if he studies for a thousand years because he caps out at Wizard 16. Thus, early choices matter enormously, and there's pressure on the player to plan out a "build" in advance to make sure he doesn't dead-end. I don't really like that pressure.

There are two ways to deal with this: invent my own dual-classing rules (ad-hoc or otherwise), or allow advancement beyond 20th level. Possibly both. I've done more work with the latter than the former, but I think the former would bring me more satisfaction in this scenario.

-Max

[1] Another example: the article asks, 'Is a single level 20 fighter superior to a Fighter/Magic-User/Thief 13/13/13? His proficiency bonus, hit points and class features make him more powerful, but the F/M-U/Thief is a lot more flexible.' But if you do the math, the fighter/mage/thief is actually a better fighter than the fighter 20. 3 attacks with 7d6 of sneak attack is already better than 4 attacks even before you add in stuff like Athletics Expertise and of course 7th level spells.

Thrudd
2016-01-03, 07:44 PM
For multiclassing, you may want to restrict the combinations available to ensure there are no broken/overpowered options (Probably have only caster/non caster combos, and non caster/non caster). I would recommend keeping it simple with relatively few such options. You will need to specify subclass in these combos as well.

Also, adjust tne XP track so that multiclass is always at least one level behind a single class character. Multiclass always splits XP evenly between all classes. Also, since the game maxes out at lvl 20, multiclass is limited to 10/10 (similar to racial limits in AD&D).

optionally, you might do away with the subclasses like eldritch knight and arcane trickster, instead making them fighter/wizard and wizard/thief. It doesn't make a lot of sense to have both options available.

In dual classing, remember that the dual classed character does not gain HD or HP again until their new class has exceeded their original class. You would probably extend this to proficiency bonus, feats and ability increases as well.

Kane0
2016-01-03, 08:30 PM
Dual Classing: As 5e multiclassing, but you cannot progress in your first class again until your second catches up. You are limited to those two classes.

Multiclassing:
1. Pick two, three or four classes when you create your character. You cannot change this choice once made, nor multiclass in another fashion.
You cannot mix classes of the same Hit Die (barbarians count with the 1d10 crowd), and must have the minimum required stat as per the 5e multiclassing rules for each class you select.
2. Initial HP and hit dice is the average of your classes (rounded down).
3. Proficient saves are one of your choice from Con/Dex/Wis and Str/Int/Cha, chosen by those offered from your selected classes.
4. Skill proficiencies is the average of your selected classes, taken from the combined pool of options.
5. Weapon, Armor and Tool proficiencies are those granted from all your classes.
6. You gain abilities as per the appropriate level in all classes you selected, discounting duplicates (spellcasting, Fighting Styles, ASIs, etc)
7. Spellcasting and Pact Magic uses the highest available from your selected classes (Full, Half or One-Third)
8. The XP required to level up is multiplied by the amount of classes you chose, and each level is divided into stages equal to the amount of classes you chose (for example a Fighter Rogue doubles his XP required to level up, and reaches a stage halfway between that).
9. At each stage you level up one of your selected classes. You must level up all your selected classes at an equal rate (thus between each level you must have used each stage on one class each). Your level is that of your lowest class (so if you are at fighter 5/rogue 5/wizard 4 you are level 4 until you get that last stage to use on wizard 5). HP gained at each stage is that of the class you selected divided by the amount of classes you are multiclassing in (so the fighter/rogue/wizard leveling up his fighter stage gets 1d10/3 round down). Your Constitution bonus to HP is only granted when you level up, not at the divided stages.

Still not perfect by a long shot, just spitballing.

Zman
2016-01-03, 09:58 PM
How about....

Multiclassing: 2 or 3 classes
XP evenly split between classes, effective level based upon total XP. Maxed out at 15//5 or 11/11/11
Proficiency based upon total XP and effective level.
Choice of best two saves chosen from this available to classes.
Best number of skills from combined lists available to classes.
Spellcasting is non stacking, limited to single classed spell slots determined by effective class level. Cantrips based off of effective character level.
Best Hit Dice at each level.
ASIs not duplicated.

Effective level is what level you'd be if you were single classed. So, a Multiclass Wizard Rogue at max level is 15/15 with 8th level spells and 9th level slots.

Dual classing is just clumsy and tough to balance. It is incredibly powerful for high level created characters and ugly for in play dual classing especially with the can't use previous class till exceeds current issue. You could do something similar to current Multiclassing rules by limit it to two classes, make that once you dual class you can never increase your original class, you do not gain additional save proficiencies etc. Also, your max level in your second class is reduced by half your first class rounded down. You may only have a maximum of 20 hit dice, levels after 20 do not grant Hit Dice. Base proficiency bonus off of Hot Dice. So you could be a Fighter 6/Wizard 17 or a Fighter 10/Wizard15 Or a Fighter 20/Wizard 10. Makes Dual classing better done later, and more powerful after you max your current class. It also allows any character to start with a level in one class and Finish a full 20 in another. Spellcasting Slots are completely seperate with no stacking.

These options are obviously difficult to balance.

Also, any Dual or Multiclass cannot take advantage of normal Multiclassing.