PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Roleplaying a Barbarian with 6 wisdom (EnderDwarf and DireStirge keep out!)

ImSAMazing
2016-01-02, 03:41 PM
I am currently playing a lvl 4 (green) Dragonborn Bear totem Barbarian. I really like it, especially the Dragon Breath. I have great stats (we rolled 4d6b3, whole group uses the same rolled array). We rolled a 6, and I decided to put it into Wisdom, because my Barbarian aint your typical low Int barbarian. Currently I am roleplaying him as a person who knows he isn't good at discerning lies, so he just doesnt believe people he doesn't trust. Other idea's to roleplay this character, because I would like to remember this character.

Ps: got prof. In perception and Survival so both have a +0 modifier.

Addaran
2016-01-02, 03:59 PM
One way to how low wisdom that i like is making decisions quickly. Something happen, just tell right away what your character will do (works well with high initiative) instead of talking strategy between players before acting ( if that's even allowed). If there is a riddle and you find the answer, quickly tell it (or solve the physical puzzle) before someone else have the chance to steal your "win"... even if a wrong answer could be dangerous.

Ex: My party was hidding behind a weak wall and preparing a plan to distract the yuantis. The AT was to disguise self into one to create a distraction while the team sneaks. Before we can do the plan, the wall crumbles. My fighter instinctively bolt out toward a chokehold point where he wont be surrounded, he doesn't think of waiting for the AT to initate the plan, cause the yuantis may react quicklier. Of course, that kinda screwed the plan for this time. =P

Later there was a door with 3 possible buttons. It would have been safer for the AT (poor guy...) to use his mage hand while we're at distance. But as soon as i think i have the answer, i press the button (with everyone in front) so my character gets the credit (very important for him) for solving the puzzle. Good thing i was right.

djreynolds
2016-01-03, 01:27 AM
I am currently playing a lvl 4 (green) Dragonborn Bear totem Barbarian. I really like it, especially the Dragon Breath. I have great stats (we rolled 4d6b3, whole group uses the same rolled array). We rolled a 6, and I decided to put it into Wisdom, because my Barbarian aint your typical low Int barbarian. Currently I am roleplaying him as a person who knows he isn't good at discerning lies, so he just doesnt believe people he doesn't trust. Other idea's to roleplay this character, because I would like to remember this character.

Ps: got prof. In perception and Survival so both have a +0 modifier.

Head strong and reckless. "Steel, this you can trust."

Douche
2016-01-04, 04:18 PM
One way to how low wisdom that i like is making decisions quickly. Something happen, just tell right away what your character will do (works well with high initiative) instead of talking strategy between players before acting ( if that's even allowed). If there is a riddle and you find the answer, quickly tell it (or solve the physical puzzle) before someone else have the chance to steal your "win"... even if a wrong answer could be dangerous.

Ex: My party was hidding behind a weak wall and preparing a plan to distract the yuantis. The AT was to disguise self into one to create a distraction while the team sneaks. Before we can do the plan, the wall crumbles. My fighter instinctively bolt out toward a chokehold point where he wont be surrounded, he doesn't think of waiting for the AT to initate the plan, cause the yuantis may react quicklier. Of course, that kinda screwed the plan for this time. =P

Later there was a door with 3 possible buttons. It would have been safer for the AT (poor guy...) to use his mage hand while we're at distance. But as soon as i think i have the answer, i press the button (with everyone in front) so my character gets the credit (very important for him) for solving the puzzle. Good thing i was right.

I like this idea. Just go with your first instinct every time. Never second-guess yourself even as new information presents itself.

Temperjoke
2016-01-04, 04:25 PM
Take the direct approach, no subtlety or tact; one route could be Serpentor from the 80s GI Joe cartoon (man, I feel old now), he could lead a battle, had no fear, but constantly ran into problems because he had no patience and was dismissive of any pleas for patience as being cowards.

WickerNipple
2016-01-04, 04:27 PM
Never second-guess yourself even as new information presents itself.

This is D&D, not politics!!

Finieous
2016-01-04, 04:37 PM
Head strong and reckless. "Steel, this you can trust."

MOAR for awesomeness:

"The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline. For no one -- no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts. Steel. This you can trust."

Shining Wrath
2016-01-04, 04:41 PM
A guy with low Wisdom is not going to read the situation very well, so instead of the headstrong impulsive guy, you've got someone who has learned painful lessons (as in, he wouldn't have survived learning them if he were not a total badass) in not trusting his perceptions of people, places, and situations. A barbarian who waits to see how the situation is developing before entering melee and doesn't go into rage until he's sure it's a battle worth fighting is a little different.

Temperjoke
2016-01-04, 05:08 PM
A guy with low Wisdom is not going to read the situation very well, so instead of the headstrong impulsive guy, you've got someone who has learned painful lessons (as in, he wouldn't have survived learning them if he were not a total badass) in not trusting his perceptions of people, places, and situations. A barbarian who waits to see how the situation is developing before entering melee and doesn't go into rage until he's sure it's a battle worth fighting is a little different.

Someone with low wisdom wouldn't have necessarily learned those lessons though, or at least, might have learned the wrong lesson from the painful experience. Instead of "I shouldn't run headlong into the army of enemies who haven't noticed me" he learns "When attacking an army of enemies that haven't noticed me, I need to go for the guy in the robes."

ChelseaNH
2016-01-04, 07:45 PM
To me, wisdom that low means a lack of foresight, and probably poor impulse control. You don't consider the consequences of your actions because you haven't bothered to calculate what those consequences might be.

kraftcheese
2016-01-04, 08:41 PM

I guess it depends on what your player dynamics are like, but I feel like doing TOO much of this would really start to piss your fellow players off; sure, roleplay being impulsive to an extent, but if your party has agreed upon a plan at least try and stick to it.

RP-ing the "headstrong barb who never plans ahead" sounds like it would be fun and could be really great for making snap decisions and being able to roll with new situations BUT if you're always acting on impulse and screwing up other player's chance to contribute to the party by always making the choice of what you do, you're probably not going to be a very fun person to play with.

Joe the Rat
2016-01-05, 12:38 PM
Not planning ahead isn't necessarily low wisdom. Planning seems more like an Intelligence thing. Low wisdom is not thinking it through. Coming up with a crazy scheme, and not seeing the inherent flaw. Or reasoning through that escaping an orbiting satellite by tunneling down is a bad idea, then going with it anyways. Or becoming obsessed with minutiae (bread crumbs from a specific hotel) and missing the big picture (giant flag on said hotel).

I like this idea. Just go with your first instinct every time. Never second-guess yourself even as new information presents itself.

Heed kraftcheese's warning, but this is a way to go with it. I have a player who, when presented with a situation, blurts out a really stupid response, then backtracks. Do that, but leave out the backtrack part. The catch is, it should be amusing (to the group) more than a hindrance. If you have party members specced for parley, don't make "I attack" your first response to every encounter. Except for when it's ridiculously out of place - but don't always go for the kill. "You see a farmer with a pitchfork, running towards the party screaming for help" "A weapon! I tackle him to the ground and disarm him!"

eastmabl
2016-01-05, 03:54 PM
To me, wisdom that low means a lack of foresight, and probably poor impulse control. You don't consider the consequences of your actions because you haven't bothered to calculate what those consequences might be.

My low-wisdom barbarian is the first to pick a fight, and the first to open the door in the dungeon --- even when it's a horrible idea.