PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Living Power

Ursus Spelaeus
2016-01-02, 06:11 PM
If you converted the Living Spell template from MMIII into a Living Power template for psionic powers, what would be the most annoying power between levels 1 and 3 that you can apply that to?
I'm looking for psionic powers (level 1-3) with ranges of medium or close that affect an areas.

A few possibilities:
Energy Wall (this one is a no-brainer)
Dispel Psionics (but wouldn't the living power of dispel psionics dispel itself?)
Missive, Mass (this becomes more of a plot device than an enemy.)
Control Air (The engulfing attack wouldn't do much, but the slam might knock targets down, or check them.)
Grease (My player's favorite spell turned against them. This has to be the most amusing option.)

The Sentry Ooze template from Dungeonscape is definitely on the table as well.
Would putting the Sentry Ooze template on a Living Power also open up the possibility of putting the Phrenic template on it, as well?

DrMotives
2016-01-02, 06:40 PM
A living Dispel Psionics won't dispel itself, just as a living spell dispel magic won't destroy itself. At this point, it's a creature with the spell's effect as an attack. Living dispels are rather nasty, they can strip buffs and suppress all your magic or psionic gear. And yes, sentry ooze does allow you to stack the phrenic template on a living power.

Ursus Spelaeus
2016-01-02, 07:13 PM
Neat.

So maybe a Living Dispel Psionics with the Sentry Ooze and Phrenic Templates for a CR 8 monster.
Maybe give it the feat Hidden Talent (Expansion) to make it large. Should make for a pretty effective boss for a level 6 party with a bunch of psionic characters, right?

ExLibrisMortis
2016-01-02, 07:28 PM
At CR 8 (1 from Phrenic, 2 from Sentry Ooze, 3 from power level, 2 from manifester level (ML 5)), you only have 32 hp. That is - in my opinion - just too little health for a boss, unless you have a small party loaded up with nothing but defensive magic items. I would recommend adding a bunch of HD through DM fiat, without otherwise modifying the stats. It's sentient amorphous magical sludge of disruption, it shouldn't be easy to cut up with a sword.

Ursus Spelaeus
2016-01-02, 07:48 PM
At CR 8 (1 from Phrenic, 2 from Sentry Ooze, 3 from power level, 2 from manifester level (ML 5)), you only have 32 hp. That is - in my opinion - just too little health for a boss, unless you have a small party loaded up with nothing but defensive magic items. I would recommend adding a bunch of HD through DM fiat, without otherwise modifying the stats. It's sentient amorphous magical sludge of disruption, it shouldn't be easy to cut up with a sword.

Sure. Maybe it's an augmented Living Power. Or maybe it's a Living Power that's been beefed up with Metapsionic feats. Maybe it's a Living Power of Burrowing Dispel Psionics? That will bring it up to 7HD.
That should give it a size increase (Living Spells/Powers become large at 7HD). That also will open up a feat since I'm not giving it Hidden Talent for Expansion, and it gets an extra feat at HD 6 thanks to the Sentry Ooze template.
However... that will bring this thing up to CR 11. Think that's a bit much for a level 6 party of tier III's?

*edit*
Alternatively, I could just maximize all the hit dice. Would that help?

ExLibrisMortis
2016-01-02, 08:19 PM
Sure. Maybe it's an augmented Living Power. Or maybe it's a Living Power that's been beefed up with Metapsionic feats. Maybe it's a Living Power of Burrowing Dispel Psionics? That will bring it up to 7HD.
That should give it a size increase (Living Spells/Powers become large at 7HD). That also will open up a feat since I'm not giving it Hidden Talent for Expansion, and it gets an extra feat at HD 6 thanks to the Sentry Ooze template.
However... that will bring this thing up to CR 11. Think that's a bit much for a level 6 party of tier III's?

*edit*
Alternatively, I could just maximize all the hit dice. Would that help?
I think you should re-evaluate the CR of living spells in all cases. The CR guidelines provided in the template tend to produce really bad estimates. It's hardly surprising given the number of spells, caster levels and spell combinations you can get.

In the case of a living dispel magic or psionic equivalent, which is not one of the horribly under- or overlevelled spells in the game, I'd say you can start with a regular phrenic sentry living dispel psionics (CR 8, 5 HD), then add HD according to the usual rules for oozes: +4 HD = +1 CR. Add HD until you have a nice boss-level HD, maybe increase size (but the template's size increase does not apply, that's a one-time at-time-of-templating deal only).

Let's say we add 4 HD, +1 CR. At CR 9/9 HD, you get 58 hp, similar to wyrmling red dragons (CR 4/7HD/59 hp, but it's a dragon, so that's a CR 4 boss, actually CR 6). You also have worse saves, worse base attack, only one natural attack instead of five, no fly speed, and no breath weapon. Your only option for killing target is your 1d4 + 1 slam attack. Your Engulf may disable lots of magic items (and subsequent grapples may deal some damage), but it's a risky maneuver, because you provoke an AoO, and you don't have a lot of AC (DR/magic may just about still work at level 6, but I wouldn't count on it).

After that comparison, I'm thinking this ooze, even with four extra hit dice, is in no way a threat to a level 6 party. The damage is just far too low. You can tank that just by using Martial Spirit with two attacks per turn.

Maybe you can add another, lower-levelled spell, like magic missile or Melf's acid arrow. Add a bit of sting to that slam attack. After all, this ooze gets to do one attack per round. You can even add something like orb of fire at CL 3 (yes, technically not possible, it's probably some Ur-Priest trick), for 3d6 fire damage and a save vs. daze. A single boss up against a party needs some action advantage, and a bit of action denial fits that perfectly.

Edit: another comparison: This ooze has ability scores of 13/13/16/2/20/23, which looks fine, until you realize it's a strength (grapple)-based melee monster. It's on a d10 hit die without good saves or bonus feats. Essentially, it's worse than a fighter of equal hit dice.

Ursus Spelaeus
2016-01-02, 09:08 PM
Good idea!

Maybe I could give it Energy Stun? Second level power, d6 additional damage with an energy type, and the target has to make a will save to avoid being stunned. Just gotta decide on an an energy type (cold, electricity, fire, or sonic.)

Other possibilities...

Matter Agitation (first level power, heats objects and burns skin)
Stomp (first level power, deals damage and knocks targets prone)
Swarm of Crystals (second level power, deals 3d4 slashing damage)

Also, the Phrenic Template at least gives Defensive Precognition and Force Screen, so that will help AC, and Empty Mind should help out with Will saves at least.

MisterKaws
2016-01-02, 09:32 PM
Spell Sovereign can awaken living spells, and as per the transparency rule, you don't need to put Sentry Ooze on a living power to give it intelligence, just awaken it. I'd suggest throwing in half-dragon on its place, it changes the creature type to dragon, and allows for massive template stacking.

Ursus Spelaeus
2016-01-02, 09:40 PM
Spell Sovereign can awaken living spells, and as per the transparency rule, you don't need to put Sentry Ooze on a living power to give it intelligence, just awaken it. I'd suggest throwing in half-dragon on its place, it changes the creature type to dragon, and allows for massive template stacking.

Neat!
Or maybe give the ooze a couple of levels in Wilder. :)