PDA

View Full Version : Magic Hose

Rusvul
2016-01-02, 10:36 PM
So, in a 3.6 (3.5 with some Pathfindery bits arbitrarily thrown in) campaign our DM gave us a pretty neat magic item. It's a hose- You put one end on a magic item and the other end against another, so it swaps their effects. Boots of Elvenkind and a Vest of Resistance would become Boots of Resistance and a Vest of Elvenkind- That sort of thing. There's a d20 roll involved (don't know what it's for, it could fail catastrophically on a 6 or lower for all I know) and that scares me, so I don't want to use it too much.

What would you do with this item?

DrMotives
2016-01-02, 10:48 PM
The time I would have most wanted this is playing some of those old D&D computer games that gave out powerful enchantments on silly weapons. Hoopak +4 from Champions of Krynn, I'm looking at you.

MisterKaws
2016-01-02, 10:54 PM
Chasuble of Fell Power + Ioun Stones = DOOM CANNON?

Maybe also throw an armor's +5 into an Ioun Stone and give it to a monk.

Throw a wand sheath into an Ioun Stone and find some way to have it hold wands.

Ioun stones make this potentially overpowered, honestly.

Rusvul
2016-01-02, 11:14 PM
Hmm. It may be worth noting that the party is 5th level, so budget is rather limited... Especially given how expensive it is to furnish a guildhouse. I have Craft Wondrous Item, though. So that helps.

Quertus
2016-01-03, 12:06 AM
Put one end on myself, and the other on an item I wouldn't mind inhabiting, to try to become a sentient item? :)

But honestly? Give it to the rogue, have him steal enhancements from other adventurers' gear. Have him swap the enchantment for cursed "you don't notice anything is wrong with this" items you create (to which y'all are immune, of course).

DrMotives
2016-01-03, 12:12 AM
Swap a bag of holding with pretty much anything that isn't a container. Very non-obvious magical storage space in your knife of holding! Although the +1 bag created as a by-product is confusing.

atemu1234
2016-01-03, 01:00 AM
Swap a bag of holding with pretty much anything that isn't a container. Very non-obvious magical storage space in your knife of holding! Although the +1 bag created as a by-product is confusing.

+1 on attack rolls you will never make.

Jack_Simth
2016-01-03, 01:09 AM
Chasuble of Fell Power + Ioun Stones = DOOM CANNON?

Maybe also throw an armor's +5 into an Ioun Stone and give it to a monk.

Throw a wand sheath into an Ioun Stone and find some way to have it hold wands.

Ioun stones make this potentially overpowered, honestly.
The trouble with Ioun Stones: They're very easy to lose:
These crystalline stones always float in the air and must be within 3 feet of their owner to be of any use. When a character first acquires a stone, she must hold it and then release it, whereupon it takes up a circling orbit 1d3 feet from her head. Thereafter, a stone must be grasped or netted to separate it from its owner. The owner may voluntarily seize and stow a stone (to keep it safe while she is sleeping, for example), but she loses the benefits of the stone during that time. Ioun stones have AC 24, 10 hit points, and hardness 5. (Emphasis added)

Ioun stones can be relatively easily snagged. Getting at stuff on your person, though, requires specific rules, such as the Sunder, Disarm, or Slight-of-hand rules - harder to use, and less common.

Edit: Mind, if you can snag the Implanted Ioun Stone (www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/ioun-stones#TOC-Implanted-Ioun-Stones) rules, then you're good to go....

John Longarrow
2016-01-03, 01:27 AM
Dagger that can shoot up to 50 fireballs? Wizard is no longer unarmed when he's got his 'wand' out... hehehe.

MisterKaws
2016-01-03, 01:46 AM
Just had a nice idea: If you've got any unarmed combatant/natural attacker, get them to take a level in Kensai, conveniently with an oath to your guild, now swap their +1 weapons for something ridiculous.

Inevitability
2016-01-03, 04:23 AM
Perhaps swap around a Bead of Force and a +1 dagger, or something? You get a Dagger of Force which (probably) creates an impenetrable sphere around whatever it hits and a... +1 marble?

Swapping a Blessed Book with something could be fun too. Imagine the wizard writing all his spells on his staff or his magic footwear.

MisterKaws
2016-01-03, 08:40 AM
Swapping a Blessed Book with something could be fun too. Imagine the wizard writing all his spells on his staff or his magic footwear.

There are actually rules for that in CArc.

LordOfCain
2016-01-03, 09:41 AM
There are actually rules for that in CArc.
Page number please?

P.F.
2016-01-03, 10:17 AM
Page number please?

P. 187 but it's cumbersome and inefficient. Your staff, used this way, can hold up to 9 pages of spells. You can tattoo 6 pages worth of spells on your chest, or 2 on your face. You have to be a Geometer to use them, too; Blessed Book + Magic Hose would yield a more effective alternative.

yellowrocket
2016-01-03, 10:45 AM
Let me start by saying I thought this was going to be about a magical clothing item. Like it'd change your size or gender or something.

So failing that, the uses have been well covered. But I would like a pair of at will stinking cloud pants.

Other fun uses at level 5, I'm not sure, expect to store more consumable spells in something like clothing or armor that you can use, say a belt of healing gets swapped for a wand of enlarge person. For your tripping fighter or something like that.

DrMotives
2016-01-03, 11:49 AM
Wait, what about ammunition abuse? Heavily enchant a bunch of 20 arrows, swap them out for 20 melee weapons or bows, break the economy on magic weapons.

(Un)Inspired
2016-01-03, 01:27 PM
Head of Vecna<--->Wand of Cure Light Wounds.

Malimar
2016-01-03, 01:33 PM
Buy a bunch of Helms of Opposite Alignment. Swap them for +1 swords. Stab Evil creatures to turn them Good. Profit.

(Problem is that you're left with a bunch of +1 weapon Helms. I wonder if the hose works on non-magic items; i.e., could you transfer the +1 enchantment back into the now-nonmagical swords once it has discharged its Opposite Alignment effect?)

Wait, what about ammunition abuse? Heavily enchant a bunch of 20 arrows, swap them out for 20 melee weapons or bows, break the economy on magic weapons.

If I were the DM (and I could be in the future; I've added this item to my Big List Of Fun Magic Items That Might Show Up In My Games because I think it's neato), I'd have it treat one batch of arrows as a single magic item: suck the enchantment out of all 20 arrows at once, even if you only put one arrow up next to it.

Jack_Simth
2016-01-03, 01:40 PM
Buy a bunch of Helms of Opposite Alignment. Swap them for +1 swords. Stab Evil creatures to turn them Good. Profit.

Problem: It's the person who wears the helmet that's affected, not the person he head-butts. You'd be making a save every time you drew it...

If I were the DM (and I could be in the future; I've added this item to my Big List Of Fun Magic Items That Might Show Up In My Games because I think it's neato), I'd have it treat one batch of arrows as a single magic item: suck the enchantment out of all 20 arrows at once, even if you only put one arrow up next to it.

I'd go a different direction: They also inherit the property that they're destroyed on use, hit or miss, from the magical arrows.

Malimar
2016-01-03, 02:01 PM
Problem: It's the person who wears the helmet that's affected, not the person he head-butts. You'd be making a save every time you drew it...

Good point. Probably scratch that idea then.

Chronos
2016-01-03, 05:10 PM
I'd stick one end of the hose onto the middle of the hose itself, and the other onto some other item, just to see what happens.

(Un)Inspired
2016-01-03, 08:51 PM
Step 1: Have your monk unarmed strike enhanced as a +1 Weapon
Step 2: Stick you finger in one end of the hose
Step 3: Hold the other end of the hose up to a sphere of annihilation
Step 4: enjoy your +1 black bubble and your Finger of Annihilation

P.F.
2016-01-03, 09:55 PM

For a second there I thought I had posted to the wrong thread

Rusvul
2016-01-03, 10:16 PM
One of the limitations of the item is that both items must be magical- So, yes, the Cleric has a Hand of Wisdom +2, but that's only because his hand was previously enchanted at random by unstable magic. It's also worth noting the party is a Wizard, a Cleric, and a Fighter.

Since our DM allows the rules for creating custom magic items, I could use it to circumvent the +50% cost modifier for an item that fits an unusual slot. I'm not sure how useful this is, though, since usually there isn't too much advantage in a Periapt of Healing rather than a Belt of Healing. It could help free up body slots for things you actually need, except that when you make a Periapt of healing you're left with a Belt of Wisdom, which is still a belt that takes up your belt slot. I guess you could give it to someone else, but it's still situational.

John Longarrow
2016-01-04, 12:55 AM
Step 2: Stick you finger in one end of the hose
Step 3: Hold the other end of the hose up to a sphere of annihilation
Step 4: enjoy your +1 black bubble and your Finger of Annihilation

Really good until you accidentally scratch your head or something...

atemu1234
2016-01-04, 12:57 AM

Use the other hand.

John Longarrow
2016-01-04, 01:02 AM

Use the other hand.

Then it wouldn't be accidental???

atemu1234
2016-01-04, 01:07 AM
Then it wouldn't be accidental???

You scratch with your dominant hand. Use your nondominant hand for the annihilator thingy.

Jack_Simth
2016-01-04, 08:19 AM

Or need to climb a ladder.

Plus, of course, there's the slight issue that a Sphere of Annihilation is a minor artefact, not a magic item. Oh yes, and have fun touching the hose to the Sphere.

ATHATH
2016-01-04, 11:53 AM
Wasn't there an airship in Eberron that had Scorching Ray as an SLA? Cast Magic Weapon on one of your eyes, use the hose, then shoot laser beams out of your eyes.

There was a mechanical crab from somewhere, I think. Could you use it to make someone hollow and/or controllable with levers on the inside?

What about a spell-clock?

Maybe you could use it as a cheap and reversible Disjunction?

ATHATH
2016-01-04, 11:57 AM
Ooh, what about pumping your truespeak checks up to insane levels? I think there are some truespeak-based spells out there.

Swap a wand of CLW and a potion, inject some of the potion into yourself, and enjoy at-will healing, perhaps?

Is the cap of a Redcap a magic item?

Aren't there some figurines that turn into real animals with a command word?

(Un)Inspired
2016-01-04, 06:18 PM
There was a mechanical crab from somewhere, I think. Could you use it to make someone hollow and/or controllable with levers on the inside?

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Apparatus of Kwalish<--->+1 enhanced fist

Now you have a +1 lobster statue and a fist that can act as a submarine for up to 2 medium sized creatures.

MisterKaws
2016-01-05, 02:51 AM
New one, +1 hand < > Instant Fortress, enjoy slamming the hell out of people with your new 30ft tower-finger.

yellowrocket
2016-01-05, 07:58 AM
For (mental) visual effect: wand of earthquake = batch of flaming arrows. Just hit the ground near your opponent (youre aiminag at a square you can hit ac 5 all the time right) and watch them fall. Or use in an anti mage build. Readied action on if he appears to begin to cast a spell.

Zone of truth=magic stone fling a rock in the inn/tavern/royal court watch hilarity ensue.