PDA

View Full Version : Spell selection for a Malconvoker

Bad Wolf
2016-01-03, 03:27 AM
So I'm planning out a Malconvoker build.

Sorcerer 6/Malconvoker 9/Thaumaturgist 5. Using the ACF in Complete Champion to get the Summoning Domain.

Problem is, the ACF makes you lose one spell known of each level, starting at 5th level when you get it. And it only let's you cast the domain Spells once a day, so I'll still have to grab some of them. So I have even more limited options. My question is this: Which spells should I take?

SangoProduction
2016-01-03, 03:38 AM
So I'm planning out a Malconvoker build.

Sorcerer 6/Malconvoker 9/Thaumaturgist 5. Using the ACF in Complete Champion to get the Summoning Domain.

Problem is, the ACF makes you lose one spell known of each level, starting at 5th level when you get it. And it only let's you cast the domain Spells once a day, so I'll still have to grab some of them. So I have even more limited options. My question is this: Which spells should I take?

(mass) Buffs, battlefield control (grease/fogs/stuff like that), summons. That's basically all you'd need.
You could try and be a wizard-lite as well, but it's not that necessary in the vast majority of games. Just summon, then support your summons....or just continue to keep summoning...or if you think your summons have it, bind a fire elemental and earth elemental so you can start up dinner while they finish off the enemy.

gorfnab
2016-01-03, 06:36 PM
Well the Malconvoker Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2791) (Reply Block #6) has a decent list of spells up through 7th level that mesh with summoning. One thing to remember with summoning is that monsters summoned from Summon Monster IV and up will have spell like abilities which can be used to supplement your own casting. Basically try to avoid overlap between your spells and the spell like abilities of your summons.