PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other [PEACH] Unspeakable One (a monster)

Jon_Dahl
2016-01-03, 06:09 AM
Unspeakable one
Size/Type: Large Aberration
Hit Dice: 12d8+24 (80 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +7 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+16
Attack: Tentacle +12 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: 7 tentacles +12 melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., immunity to poison and sleep, resilient, tremorsense 10 ft., unstable telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +9, Will +10
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 12, Con 17, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 13
Skills: Diplomacy +4, Listen +9, Sense Motive +5, Spot +9, Survival +16
Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Negotiator, Weapon Focus (tentacle), Run
Environment: Temperate deserts
Organization: Solitary, pair, or family (3-4)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: 1/3rd coins; standard goods; double items
Alignment: Often lawful good
Advancement: 13-16 HD (large)
Level Adjustment: +3

An unspeakable one is a horrible-looking blob of dark flesh and slime with seven tentacles. Many mistake it for a chaos monster or an ooze. It has a relatively small mouth, which is the only clearly discernible feature on its body.

An unspeakable one slithers like an ooze. Due to its slow speed, it likes to stay in areas where faster creatures don’t have a clear advantage, such as rocky areas where visibility is limited. Access to a water source is also necessary. All unspeakable ones are omnivores and they can eat their enemies regardless of species or race, even relatively fresh undead flesh is edible for them.

An unspoken one is the size of a halfling cabin and weighs close to a ton.

Unspeakable ones cannot speak but understand common.

Combat

An unspeakable one prefers telepathic communication (since it can’t talk) to fighting, but it attempts to promptly eliminate anything that is a threat to innocents or peace. An unspeakable doesn’t allow evildoers to escape and the ones it catches suffer severe punishments relative to their crimes, which are usually a confiscation of weapons and magical items, corporal punishment or even swift death.

An unspeakable ones surroundings usually give it some advantage, unless it is surprised roaming. In any case, an unspeakable one is a brave and determined opponent, who wants to win but not at any cost.

Resilient (Ex)
An unspeakable one has a +4 racial bonus on Fortitude and Reflex saves (included in the statistics block).

Tremorsense (Ex)
An unspeakable one can automatically sense the location of anything within 10 feet that is in contact with the ground, so long as it is touching the ground itself.

Unstable telepathy
This is standard telepathy with the following modifications.
When used between two or more unspeakable ones, the telepathy works normally. When other creatures are involved, there’s 50% chance that every participant (unspeakable ones included) must roll Fort save DC 15 or be dazed for two rounds. Anyone that rolls a save will feel hostile psionic energy inside their minds. The fort save is made only once per sender-receiver combination; after the save the participants are immune to harm from unstable telepathy as long as the combination of the participants is not changed.

History
Hundreds of years ago, there was a peaceful kingdom ruled by an incompetent king. Then one night there was attempted coup that was foiled by the captain of the King's bodyguard, the most famous warrior of the kingdom, and her trusted men. A lot of blood was spilled before the sunrise and the royal family lost most of its members. The King demanded the captured traitors to be executed on the spot, but the captain refused and ordered the soldiers to stand down. Everyone obeyed the captain and the prisoners lived to see another day, but the captain was detained regardless.

The King regretted his rashness, but nevertheless he felt that the captain had to be punished. He and his former captain agreed that she would confess to offending his majesty and the men would be spared from punishment, but in return, she would be transformed into a hideous monster. That would seem like a punishment that would fit her crime, but it would let the former captain fight against evil with new her tentacles and monstrous strength. And so it was done. The result was so horrifying that the monster was called the unspeakable one and it was exiled to the frontier.

In the wastelands, the unspeakable one faced her greatest enemy: loneliness. Just when she about to lose her will to live, she met a friendly phasm and they fell madly in love. The unspeakable one soon realized that they had little in common except sex, but it was already too late: She was pregnant and they had many children, and they all shared most of their mother's qualities, both physically and mentally. When the unspeakable one was killed in a battle against a dragon, the phasm and their oldest daughter became a couple and this inspired the rest of children into incest as well. Nowadays there are dozens of unspeakable ones in every corner of the world. However, their power has been considerably weakened due to centuries of inbreeding.

Unspeakable ones revere their ancestor mother called The First Unspeakable and not that many worship any deity. Unspeakable ones fight against evil in the frontiers or underground and as they see themselves as the lone guardians of good or peace, they don't actively seek alliances with other creatures of good. They don't view phasms in any special way since the ancestor phasm spent almost his entire adult life in the form of an unspeakable one and thus is regarded as one of them.

Jon_Dahl
2016-01-04, 12:59 PM
Unspeakable one lore

Knowledge (dungeoneering)

Characters with ranks in Knowledge (dungeoneering) can learn more about unspeakable ones. When a character makes a successful skill check, the following lore is revealed, including the information from lower DCs.

DC Result

22 This horrifying monster is an unspeakable one that defends peace and innocents with its life. This result reveals all of aberration traits.

27 The telepathic abilities of an unspeakable one are somewhat dangerous to itself and to others when used with other creatures. Among unspeakables ones there's no issue. This result reveals the tale of the unspeakable ones.

32 All unspeakable ones have tremorsense whose range is very poor.

37 Unspeakable ones are surprisingly resilient and can withstand and avoid some attacks with ease.

Debihuman
2016-01-05, 04:50 PM
I liked it until I got to alignment. Why is it Lawful Good? That seems odd for such a horrible looking creature. And really incest for a lawful good creature? Just ewww. That alone would qualify for lawful evil.

How long are its tentacles? Should it have reach with them?

Debby

kinem
2016-01-05, 07:31 PM
Jon: I think it's pretty good: breaking the ugly stereotype of ugly = evil is a plus, and the incest thing makes sense in context (not a lot of options, and non-human so the psychology is likely quite different).

"... horrible blob ..." should be "horrible-looking blob", since if they are good their nature isn't horrible.

How would you use it in a game though?

Jon_Dahl
2016-01-06, 03:11 AM
Debi,

Thank you! It does have a modest reach, 10 ft., with the tentacles. It's really rather modest, but I think it's ok. I could go up to 15 ft. but I think it goes fine like that. For the rest of your post I refer to kinem's post.

I like that people think differently. I think the fact that they can eat fallen humans (like evil bandits, for instance) is worse than incest. Yet unspeakable ones practice both: eating humans (which they have killed in combat) and incest.

Jon: I think it's pretty good: breaking the ugly stereotype of ugly = evil is a plus, and the incest thing makes sense in context (not a lot of options, and non-human so the psychology is likely quite different).

"... horrible blob ..." should be "horrible-looking blob", since if they are good their nature isn't horrible.

How would you use it in a game though?

Will the PCs attack it once they see it or not? What if the unstable telepathy causes one or more the PCs to be dazed and the unspeakable apologizes for that (telepathically)? It's a monster that's suppose to create a strange, unclear encounter that can lead to a friendship or bloodbath. I think every encounter that can end up like that is worth playing :)

I will fix the "horrible" part, thank you.

Debihuman
2016-01-06, 09:14 AM
Actually eating fallen dead is far less of a problem. First, the fallen dead were enemies (probably bad ones). Second, eating a dead enemy is not a whit different from humans killing and eating a dragon, which is a staple in D&D stories. Hunters frequently eat their prey. Killing and eating a Good sentient creature might present alignment conflicts.

Incest between father and daughter is a breach of power would be evil. Incest between offspring isn't so much evil as it is icky and unhealthy for the next generation of offspring. On a strictly moral level, many cultures have a taboo against incest thus making it an act of evil there.

Is the Unstable telepathy a result from the centuries of incest? Inbreeding usually causes a fair number of problems. "However, their power has been considerably weakened due to centuries of inbreeding." How are you going to express this in the stat block? Constitution 17 and the Resilient special ability seem in contradiction to this statement. Tremorsense 10 ft. is utterly useless aboveground because it can see. Usually the creatures that have tremorsense are in conditions where light is an issue. Phasms live underground and so tremorsense lets them see 60 feet when they visually couldn't. Phasms do not have darkvision. By giving an unspeakable one Darkvision 60 ft., you've made tremorsense a wasted ability. I'm not sure why these live in a desert as phasms live underground.

I would say that the centuries of inbreeding has made them better than their father's race - phasm's may have more 1 HD and 17 more hit points, but these have better stats and are far more formidable with 7 tentacles. 7 seems an odd number to choose (If you'd just turned her arms and legs into tentacles, that would have given her 4 such tentacle attacks).

The Unspeakable Horror has 6 times as many attacks as a Phasm and the attacks do more damage (1d6+3 vs. 1d3+1). That's no indication of a weakened monster in my not so humble opinion. Also, I think WotC screwed up the Phasm's progression by HD. It should be 16-21 HD (Medium) not Huge, and 22-45 HD (Large) not Gargantuan.

If you give it a 15-foot reach with its tentacles then the stat block would reflect it as such: Space/Reach 10 ft./10 ft. (15 ft. with tentacles).

BTW, putting this through VT's CR estimator I get CR 6 not 5.

Debby

Jon_Dahl
2016-01-07, 02:49 AM
Is the Unstable telepathy a result from the centuries of incest? Inbreeding usually causes a fair number of problems. "However, their power has been considerably weakened due to centuries of inbreeding." How are you going to express this in the stat block? Constitution 17 and the Resilient special ability seem in contradiction to this statement. Tremorsense 10 ft. is utterly useless aboveground because it can see. Usually the creatures that have tremorsense are in conditions where light is an issue. Phasms live underground and so tremorsense lets them see 60 feet when they visually couldn't. Phasms do not have darkvision. By giving an unspeakable one Darkvision 60 ft., you've made tremorsense a wasted ability. I'm not sure why these live in a desert as phasms live underground.

I would say that the centuries of inbreeding has made them better than their father's race - phasm's may have more 1 HD and 17 more hit points, but these have better stats and are far more formidable with 7 tentacles. 7 seems an odd number to choose (If you'd just turned her arms and legs into tentacles, that would have given her 4 such tentacle attacks).

The Unspeakable Horror has 6 times as many attacks as a Phasm and the attacks do more damage (1d6+3 vs. 1d3+1). That's no indication of a weakened monster in my not so humble opinion. Also, I think WotC screwed up the Phasm's progression by HD. It should be 16-21 HD (Medium) not Huge, and 22-45 HD (Large) not Gargantuan.

If you give it a 15-foot reach with its tentacles then the stat block would reflect it as such: Space/Reach 10 ft./10 ft. (15 ft. with tentacles).

Thank you, Debi! The idea was that the original unspeakable one near epic and phasm is 15HD. Normally, this would put the offspring into the 16HD to 18HD scale (about) but the inbreeding dropped it to 12HD. The First Unspeakable was the best fighter of the kingdom after all. Seven is, quite literally, an odd number. I chose that number to make it even stranger. Athach has three arms and that's enough to make it a strange monster. I tried to choose options that would make this monster as odd as possible, for it is an aberration, something that challenges the very laws of nature.

Unstable telepathy is indeed a product of incest. The useless tremorsense is also useless, as you said, but they provide a nasty surprise to invisible enemies that try to sneak up too close. I think it's funny, in a cruel way (I'm cruel).

The desert bit comes from their history. Their ancestor was banished to the desert, so that's where they live. It should be noted that the monster manual says that monster environments are just guidelines and the monsters can live in any place.

BTW, putting this through VT's CR estimator I get CR 6 not 5.

I thought about this for a couple days... CR 6 would be viable Challenge Rating, but I opted for 5. I really don't which would be better. It's hard to choose.