PDA

View Full Version : in need of serious help

True believer
2016-01-03, 09:27 AM
First of all i want to wish all a happy new year :D

now about my problem.... we were in a castle and we were fighting our way through. in one room we came face to face with a boss and the fight took place above an altar. i used the stone shape spell and now the boss is not able to move because the altar has demobilize him. the problem is that the altar may had useful clues on it that now are not possible to find. so my question is if there is any way to bring the altar into his originally form ???

Grod_The_Giant
2016-01-03, 09:58 AM
Worth asking your DM if another casting of Stone Shape can just return it to normal. Not RAW, but since you accidentally messed up his plot...

Korivan
2016-01-03, 10:56 AM
A wish or miracle should do the trick. If not try to find out what kind of evidence it is. If it's flimsy parchment it's probably destroyed, but a metal box you could probably dig out

True believer
2016-01-03, 11:12 AM
Worth asking your DM if another casting of Stone Shape can just return it to normal. Not RAW, but since you accidentally messed up his plot...

no he will not let m

MisterKaws
2016-01-03, 12:02 PM
Call good ol' Pazuzu, you'll need to pay in alignment changes though.

rollforeigninit
2016-01-03, 12:59 PM
Sounds like you need to go divination magic or something like that. Possibly good old research or information gathering. Finesse.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-01-03, 01:39 PM
Stone tell, a druid-only divination, allows you to speak with stones directly, including the altar. It's probably the best way to figure out what it looked like before.

Commune will tell you whether the information exists elsewhere, if you have a cleric whose deity would've been aware of the altar. Deities can flawlessly recall (or, alternatively, sense in the past) anything up to [divine rank] weeks old that's relevant to their portfolio. Contact other plane can do much the same, but less reliably.

Legend lore can tell you whether there's famous information about the altar, but probably won't bring up secret runes or anything of that sort.

Vision may be able to conjure up a vision of the altar as it was before you changed it. Requires a DC 20 caster level check, which is probably okay, since it's an 8th-level spell (minimum CL 15).

Analyze dweomer will tell you about any magical clues that remain in the altar.

True seeing will counter any illusions, and arcane sight will show magical auras, but stone shape is instantaneous, so you can't counter it this way.

Andezzar
2016-01-03, 01:50 PM
Call good ol' Pazuzu, you'll need to pay in alignment changes though.have a paladin do it. Pazuzu plays fair the first time a paladin calls him.

True Seeing should also work as it "sees the true form of polymorphed, changed, or transmuted things". The deformed altar should qualify as a changed thing.

True believer
2016-01-03, 09:29 PM
Stone tell, a druid-only divination, allows you to speak with stones directly, including the altar. It's probably the best way to figure out what it looked like before.

Commune will tell you whether the information exists elsewhere, if you have a cleric whose deity would've been aware of the altar. Deities can flawlessly recall (or, alternatively, sense in the past) anything up to [divine rank] weeks old that's relevant to their portfolio. Contact other plane can do much the same, but less reliably.

Legend lore can tell you whether there's famous information about the altar, but probably won't bring up secret runes or anything of that sort.

Vision may be able to conjure up a vision of the altar as it was before you changed it. Requires a DC 20 caster level check, which is probably okay, since it's an 8th-level spell (minimum CL 15).

Analyze dweomer will tell you about any magical clues that remain in the altar.

True seeing will counter any illusions, and arcane sight will show magical auras, but stone shape is instantaneous, so you can't counter it this way.

I read True seeing and i think that this solves my problem. if i could see the altar in his old form then i can find any information on it that we miss during the fight.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-01-03, 09:37 PM
I read True seeing and i think that this solves my problem. if i could see the altar in his old form then i can find any information on it that we miss during the fight.
Trouble is, true seeing can't penetrate a mundane disguise. Stone shape may not be 'mundane' precisely, but it's an instantaneous effect, meaning that the resulting mass of stone is mundane. Your DM is well within reason to rule that true seeing reveals nothing, or rather, that there are no illusions preventing you from seeing the altar as it is, which is 'deformed'.

Flickerdart
2016-01-03, 09:53 PM
An altar is usually used in ceremonies that involve powerful emotions, meaning that sensitivity to psychic impressions should be able to show you events in the room. If your DM is cooperative, you will be able to see the altar in its original form during these visions.

You can also use modify memory to recall an event you previously experienced (in this case, seeing the altar) with "perfect clarity", allowing you to recall what was written on it at least partially. Legend lore or hypercognition can reveal information about the altar's original form even in its damaged state.

Hiro Quester
2016-01-03, 10:57 PM
Hindsight spell (CA bard 6, sorc/wiz 9) will let you see details of how things were, up to caster level days ago. (Also CL weeks, years or centuries ago, but that's not as relevant.)

daremetoidareyo
2016-01-03, 10:59 PM
If the enemy is still trapped in there, have you thought about asking him? You might need to barter something...