PDA

View Full Version : [IC][3.x] Trump Card

byzantineblue
2016-01-03, 11:53 AM
Trump Card
OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?473866-OOC-3-x-Trump-Card)

You wake up slowly, a thin, white light shining gently from above. You're dressed in loose, grey tunics and trousers, with plain leather boots. The clothes are soft and seem new.

The room is made of simple, red brick. It's circular, perhaps forty feet in diameter, and a hundred tall. The light seems to come from a glowing, circular skylight above you. It's diffuse enough that it casts only faint, undefined shadows. On the whole, it seems peaceful.

You don't know where you are. You hardly even know who you are. You remember something about dust, but it eludes your consciousness.

On the floor beside you is a small card and a scrap of paper. In the center of the room is a metal wheel fixed horizontally to the floor, with four handles along the rim designed to aid in turning it.

Barbarian MD
2016-01-03, 12:34 PM
Tolstoy

Tolstoy shakes the cobwebs from his brain and begins to rise cautiously to a crouch, scanning the room in a full circle as he does so. Noting the other waking forms spaced throughout the chamber, he positions his back to a wall and begins to limber his muscles, keeping his movements small and quiet.

Without taking his eyes from the others, he reaches for the items at his feet and brings them up to eye level to examine them.

byzantineblue
2016-01-03, 12:42 PM
The card is from a tarot deck. It's numbered zero -- the Fool. On the paper is written, "good luck! P.S. You're welcome." A small line drawing of a smiling face stares back at you. Its eyes are empty.

DontEvenAsk
2016-01-03, 01:30 PM
Amalan stirs. He'd be perfectly happy to stay asleep and not have to... whatever it is he's supposed to do when he wakes up. Whatever it is he does with his life.

The realization that he doesn't know that jolts him wide awake. He sits up and looks around him. Seeing everyone else around him, he has nothing to do but wonder what in the gods' names is going on. He does remember the gods' names, at least, which gives him a small degree of comfort, but he'd rather focus his energy on the present moment.

His mouth runs without him, which registers as a habit of his to a long-trained brain. Fortunately, this time it's not anything objectionable. "W...what?"

PersonMan
2016-01-03, 03:16 PM
Lying on the floor, Airinieska opens her eyes and looks straight up for a moment, raising an eyebrow as a sense of detached curiosity rolls over her. Rising to a seated posture, she looks over the room, eventually coming to the card at her side. Lifting it closer to her, she considers it for a few moments, taking note of the sinuous crimson red patterns going down her arm as she does so. Standing, Airinieska considers the lack of knowledge in her mind, but a faded voice soothes her. She had memory, but none of herself, of what had transpired before. The thought doesn't trouble her, and she nods to herself as she finds herself thinking that she - whoever she had been before - was dead. This will that she was now was its own being, a new incarnate spark in the world.

As her thoughts turn, she feels a sensation she can only describe as familiar, something stirring in her limbs, a light feeling. She becomes aware of power resting in her, waiting patiently to be unleashed, and can't help but smile as she looks again at the card in her hand.

"Your memories are gone as well, yes?" Airinieska asks, shifting her gaze to those waking as she speaks.

Barbarian MD
2016-01-03, 03:32 PM
Tolstoy

Tolstoy stares at the card for another second, before tucking both it and the note away in his breast pocket.

Anything from the knowledge roll? My character is not likely to have any but a passing knowledge about tarot, and I personally know nothing.

He stands and walks warily towards the center of the room, stopping well short and keeping his back to the wall as he sizes up the others silently.

DontEvenAsk
2016-01-03, 04:22 PM
Amalan stares at Airinieska for a second or two, parsing what she's said. "I believe so." He shakes his head in disbelief and gets to his feet with self-possessed elegance. "I take it if I ask you anything, you'll be unable to answer? Being without memories, that is?"

Recherché
2016-01-03, 06:11 PM
Yve wakes up almost immediately but declines to open her eyes. Instead she takes stock of her body and mind for a second.

No pain. No missing body parts. The clothes do feel odd though so they aren't normal. Wait what is normal? No past experiences to compare it to. Have I been drugged; is that why I don't remember anything?

Voices in the background.

So I'm not alone. Are they my captors or my fellow captives? Or I suppose this could be something else entirely.

The blonde decides to take a chance and open her eyes a fraction, just enough to look through her lashes while her eyes still look closed. A large man takes something from the center of the room and hides it.

Is he my enemy? Does he seek to conceal evidence. And yet he is of my people unlike the others here. Of the Dragon's Blood. Should he not be my ally?Too early to say with any certainty I suppose. So best to be cautious.

"I believe so." "I take it if I ask you anything, you'll be unable to answer? Being without memories, that is?"

Well she has to let them know she's conscious eventually.

I do know that my name is Yve. Beyond that I know nothing about myself.

Getting up and turning to the winged woman she asks

If you can fly with those, could you go up and take a look around the top of the room, including the skylight? I doubt there will be any more information on our predicament up there but I'd rather know for sure than keep guessing.

Somehow the request sounds almost like a command.

Before the other woman can respond Yve has looked away to meet the tall man's eyes in an almost stare daring him to reveal what he knows, but saying nothing.

DontEvenAsk
2016-01-03, 06:48 PM
Upon hearing the seemingly sleeping woman's voice, Amalan starts subtly. "Oh, hello," he says, with a careful calm to his voice that isn't intended to be convincing, merely amusing or perhaps likable. "You seem terribly eager to take control of the situation." He speaks with a wry smile on his lips, but his last few words are unmistakably pointed.

Barbarian MD
2016-01-03, 07:34 PM
Tolstoy meets Yve's gaze placidly and gives a slight nod, but otherwise remains silent, watching and listening.

Thokk_Smash
2016-01-03, 09:18 PM
Unnoticed by all but the most wary and paranoid (which, of course, probably includes at least two people in this room), a short-haired, sallow-skinned hobgoblin man has risen to his feet and watches the proceedings with a keen eye. Chkrash flexes his fingers idly as his mind flexes around his current conundrum. He is without his daggers, his satchel, even his favorite book. But...what was the title again? He snarls as he realizes that it is more than his physical possessions that he is without.

Well, he's gotten through worse than this. At least, he tells himself that as he approaches the duo who are having a staredown. This time spent staring at each other could be spent more usefully, he says, rough voice reaching every corner of the room. We're all stuck in this together, it seems, so let's at least pretend to work together.

Let's see that thing you put in your pocket, eh? he asks Tolstoy, looking him in the eye without looking up. His gaze is not hostile, but he does glance down to his breast pocket then back up with a raised brow.

Barbarian MD
2016-01-03, 09:25 PM
Tolstoy

Tolstoy reaches into his pocket and hands both the card and the note to the newcomer without taking his eyes off anyone.

Perhaps someone else knows what it means.

In the meantime, now that he's closer to the mechanism in the center of the room he tries to ascertain its purpose, rocking it with one hand.

Thokk_Smash
2016-01-03, 09:38 PM
Chkrash takes the items with a nod and inspects them carefully. At the note, he gives a huff of a breath that may be a curt laugh, though there is little mirth in it. The piece of dung that did this has a twisted sense of humor.

[roll0]

He watches the man fiddle with the mechanism with a keen eye, trying to discern some of its true nature.

[roll1]

Recherché
2016-01-03, 09:44 PM
Hmm someone else who would play games of power and control. No need to fight him I suppose. We need not be enemies.

Yve deliberately adjusts her posture and face to be a little less imperious and a little more friendly.

How do I know to do that?

Something about her head feels wrong, almost strangely light as she moves. Half thinking she reaches up a hand to feel her hair and horns. Something is definitely missing up there. Or maybe its her ears she thinks as she feels the multiple empty piercings in them.

I have no more authority than anyone else in this room but sitting around does very little good. That being said perhaps it would be wise not to turn that wheel until we have a better idea what it does? For all we know it could be a trap of some kind. At the very least turning it seems likely to alert our captors that we are awake.

Also do the rest of you know your names? Twould be terribly confusing to keep calling all of you "you." I might have to resort to making up nicknames.

Yve's voice lightens a little as she moves on to the subject of names.

May I take a look at the papers? I believe that I know somewhat of magic among other things. Though I'm not sure how I know that when so much else eludes me.

[roll0]

byzantineblue
2016-01-03, 09:44 PM
Chkrash, upon seeing the card, recognizes it as representing beginnings, spontaneity and sometimes folly. The wheel is probably attached to some mechanism under the floor and turning it will likely affect something in the room -- particularly since there is no obvious entrance or exit, except perhaps the skylight.

Yve also understands the meaning of the card.

Recherché
2016-01-03, 09:55 PM
Although . . . I wonder . . . mayhaps have any of you seen a capstan before? This looks rather like one. Tis a device used on sailing ships. You turn the wheel and the capstan raises or lowers something. Usually either an anchor or cargo.

Tis mere speculation though. The card I understand much better. The Fool lies at the beginning of the tarot deck and is used to predict the beginning of a journey, or sometime spontaneity and foolishness. I do not know what it presages here though. Or why someone would leave it in our cell.

Thokk_Smash
2016-01-03, 10:07 PM
Chkrash runs a hand through his roughshorn hair, feeling the uneven cut. Had he done it himself? It sure feels cruddy. The name's Chkrash, he says, saying the word as if tasting it for the first time. He feels a vague ghost-pain in his lower shin. Is that a nickname, or his real name? Did his mother hate him or something, if it is?

And anyone who knows anything about the arcane would know this is a tarot card; specifically, the Fool, he continues, acting as if this were common knowledge. And then the woman begins to talk and he sputters to a stop. He gives her an obvious glare, but lets her continue without interrupting.

Maybe they're goading us into being the fool, he mutters, eyeing the wheel-thing. Bumbling around in the dark without knowledge or foresight; hell, not even hindsight. Whatever this thing is we've been dropped into, this mechanism is the only lead we've got.

He inspects the mechanism in excruciating detail, looking for any inkling of a lead as to what it might do.

Assuming the mechanism takes up a single 5x5 square, I'll take 20 on Perception for 30 over 2 minutes.

byzantineblue
2016-01-03, 10:35 PM
It's clear that the main shaft of the capstan-like wheel descends at least an inch or two into the floor, which is quite solid and probably quite thick.

Barbarian MD
2016-01-03, 10:38 PM
Tolstoy

"Tolstoy," the man lies to no one in particular, and begins to apply pressure to the wheel in earnest.

"No way out but deeper in," he mutters and looks expectantly at the others as he begins to push. "Hope some of you can fight."

byzantineblue
2016-01-03, 10:54 PM
The wheel hardly moves. It seems the strength of more than one person will be needed to operate it.

PersonMan
2016-01-04, 04:54 AM
"We turn the wheel to continue," Airinieska says. "It won't cause our deaths. We're meant to work together and continue - it's made to require four of us to turn it. It would be pointless to gather us, rob us of our memory, clothe and place us here if there was no way out, or if the only way to proceed involved dying," she continues, positioning herself by one of the four handles.

"I am Airinieska," she adds after a moment, calm confidence in her voice.

Thokk_Smash
2016-01-04, 03:15 PM
Chkrash nods in agreement, although he still scowls at her. He was thinking that, too; she just got to say it first! He goes to a third spoke in the wheel and prepares to push it together with them.

DontEvenAsk
2016-01-04, 03:17 PM
"Lan," Amalan contributes to the introduction pileup. He can't recall ever having been called that, but it's a logical enough shortening of his name, and he's not sure he should trust any of these people with his full one. Amalan Kiath, a name that he distantly thinks should have some familial meaning that's now lost to him.

"I can corroborate Yve's reading," he adds. "I would interpret it as a beginning, presently, not a mockery. As Airinieska says - may I call you Eska, by the way? It's shorter, in case of danger - if the architect of our predicament meant any harm to us, it would be absurd to do it in this way."

He steps towards the wheel, claiming the last spoke. "I will be glad to help, but if I die, know that I may haunt you." He delivers this with a total deadpan, but the only word for his tone is chuffed, and the corners of his eyes crinkle.

byzantineblue
2016-01-04, 03:30 PM
With the extra help, you're able to turn the wheel. Grinding sounds rise from the floor as the ground lifts slightly. A pillar, about twenty feet across, is rising from the center of the room. The concentric circle patterns laid in the brickwork made it hard to see before, but now that it's rising up it becomes obvious. You begin to rise toward the skylight.
[How high do you want to try raising yourselves?]

Barbarian MD
2016-01-04, 07:39 PM
After a few feet of lift, Tolstoy motions to the others to stop and peeks over the ledge, looking at the mechanism underneath and curious whether there might be an opening to descend.

byzantineblue
2016-01-04, 08:09 PM
Indeed, three feet down, the pillar narrows out of sight, leaving a hole through which you might be able to descend. The pillar is raised a couple more feet before it becomes wide enough to fit through.

Barbarian MD
2016-01-04, 09:33 PM
Tolstoy

"Shall we? Unless one of you lot can fly?"

He jumps down and begins to inspect the platform, the mechanism, and eventually the hole.

Thokk_Smash
2016-01-04, 09:36 PM
Sounds good to me, Chkrash replies, hopping down as well.

byzantineblue
2016-01-04, 09:41 PM
The mechanism remains hidden to you; the pillar narrows to a mere five feet in width and descends thirty feet downward. The base is obscured by shallow water. The room below looks to have a ceiling about ten feet high. The floor is made of the same brick as everything else, and the walls are beyond your sight from this angle. Strangely, even the pillar doesn't seem to cast a shadow. The room below is lit as well and evenly as that above.

Barbarian MD
2016-01-04, 09:56 PM
Tolstoy looks for handholds or another means to descend the shaft.

Recherché
2016-01-04, 10:19 PM
My apologies it appears that I was over cautious. Also it does not seem that we are meant to be imprisoned. In which case I have to wonder what in the name of all the forgotten gods are we doing here?!?

Yve's cheeks color slightly at her outburst before she recovers her composure.

Still I suppose no other way than foreward.

She quickly removes her tunic and pants and begins tying them together to form the beginnings of a rope.

Even if someone can scout we will likely still need to all head down there soon enough anyways. If we can get enough length we could tie this to the wheel and descend that away.

Otherwise if someone who wouldn't mind falling or climbing down could hold it while the rest of us descend.

Oh and if any of you mention this later I will deny it vigorously.

The threat seems slightly hollow coming from a woman wearing only undergarments and boots.

PersonMan
2016-01-05, 04:15 AM
"There may be something down there that can help," Airinieska muses to herself for a moment. "I'll go ahead and see if there is," she continues, as Yve begins to tie her clothing into a rope, for the time being ignoring a strange desire to make some kind of quip about the dragon-woman's clothing. She could think about what that meant later. Climbing down into the opening in the floor, she lowers herself until only her fingers are clutching the edge, then lets herself fall, trusting in the deep confidence she feels. Dropping quickly, she pushes herself away from the pillar with her feet, and stares down at the ground until she feels it's close enough, bending forwards and doing a forward roll as she hits it, standing quickly.

As she stands, Airinieska can't help but smile to herself. That had felt surprisingly nice. "I'm in the room," she calls up, looking around the room for something that could help the others get down. No need for everyone to undress if there was a ladder waiting for them, after all.

[roll0] vs DC 15 to negate falling damage, if it's 10-15 feet.

byzantineblue
2016-01-05, 10:52 AM
The water softens your landing, not that you need it. The room is about a hundred feet in diameter. Except for the pillar rising through the hole in the ceiling and a pedestal of bricks rising out of the water near a wall, the room is empty. The water covering the floor is about two feet deep. There's a small box of dark wood sitting on the pedestal.

PersonMan
2016-01-05, 06:36 PM
Airinieska makes her way to the box, examining it for a moment before opening it.

byzantineblue
2016-01-05, 09:49 PM
Inside the box, you find three more cards. You get the sense that with just a little concentration, you can activate any one of them.

http://www.learntarot.com/bigjpgs/maj01.jpg
http://www.learntarot.com/bigjpgs/swords02.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/archive/f/f8/20080507004416!Cups02.jpg

Thokk_Smash
2016-01-06, 12:32 AM
Chkrash watches the woman drop, then scoffs in his head. He could do that, too! Easing himself over the ledge, he falls down and into a roll on the floor.

Acrobatics: [roll0]

Once below, he approaches the pedestal and peers over the woman's shoulder. More tarot cards, he muses, pondering the cards' meaning.

[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

byzantineblue
2016-01-06, 01:29 AM
Chkrash takes [roll0] damage from the fall, but he manages to twist and avoid the worst of it.

The Magician is associated with the planet, Mercury and carries with it skill, logic, and intellect. The number of the Magician is one, the number of beginnings. The Magician is the bridge between the world of the spirit and the world of humanity.
The Two of Swords symbolizes indecision.
The Two of Cups symbolizes a relationship between two people.

Barbarian MD
2016-01-06, 11:27 PM
Tolstoy

Seeing no other way down, the big man shrugs at Yves (who is still trying to weave a rope) and jumps, rolling in the shallow water to break his fall.

"Jump. I'll catch you," he calls up.

Forgot it was all combined acrobatics. In other news, I worked a 24 hour shift in the ICU last night, and still haven't been able to fix skill points on my sheet, but I had 10 ranks in balance that will become acrobatics.

[roll0]

I might be able to aid another by catching her to break her fall? If so, feel free to roll for me.

byzantineblue
2016-01-07, 12:49 AM
[Natural one.] You land awkwardly, accidentally hit the pillar itself, and take [roll0] damage.

DontEvenAsk
2016-01-07, 03:34 PM
Amalan peers down the shaft. "Are you all right down there?" he calls. Then he turns to Yve. "And you chose to sacrifice your own clothes rather than asking the others why, exactly?" He doesn't look disapproving as he says that, but he doesn't look approving, either. In fact he has an expression of bland interest on his face that could easily be unsettling.

Recherché
2016-01-07, 05:41 PM
Pausing in her work for a minute Yve gives a slightly frustrated sounding sigh and rubs the bridge of her nose with her fingers before responding.

First because I'm pretty sure if I try jumping down there I will end up hurting myself. And while I can fix some damage with magic I'd rather not have to use magic on that. Besides I don't particularly appreciate putting myself in pain when there's another option. Only thing this costs me is my modesty. And if it doesn't* work well then there's* still the option to jump.

Second because I am not willing to ask someone else to do that which I would not do myself. I'd appreciate any help you could offer but you seem to take badly to being commanded. Also the help offered has been with the jumping which still seems likely to inflict some amount of pain.

byzantineblue
2016-01-07, 06:08 PM
In case anyone is wondering, the "rope" of clothes is four feet long, if that, and will probably come undone unless more length is sacrificed to strengthen it.

PersonMan
2016-01-08, 12:23 AM
"That may not be needed. We can activate one of the cards from down here," Airinieska says after a few moments, looking down at the cards after she's finished letting the others examine them. "Any insight to what they might do?" She asks.

Thokk_Smash
2016-01-08, 12:32 AM
Chkrash waves the Magician card triumphantly. This is the card of the Magician, he says smugly. The first card, the card of beginnings. It's said it bridges the worlds of spirit and humanity.

After he finishes, he pulls a pensive face. Perhaps by activating it we will begin this...whatever it is our captors have designed?

If no one objects, he focuses his will on the card and wills it to activate.

Barbarian MD
2016-01-08, 09:28 AM
Tolstoy grins as he stands back up, rubbing the back of his head, and comes to look at the cards over their shoulders.

He leaves the others to the cards and starts wandering around the chamber, kicking under the water with his feet and searching for anything else of interest.

byzantineblue
2016-01-08, 04:00 PM
The card activates.

The room melts away and before you know it, you're standing in a grand hall. The walls are made of marble, as are the columns that stand in two lines down the hall. A thin, dark red or purple tapestry hangs on each one. Tolstoy and Chkrash's clothes and shoes are dry; all your wounds are likewise disappeared without a trace. (Yve is still nearly naked, but she still has the clothes she took off.) You're at full HP and feel as though you've just had a good night's sleep.

You stand at one end of the hall. On the wall there is a large shield emblazoned with a red X. Two longswords are hung crossed through it. At the other end, some hundred feet away, is an imposing pair of doors. A statue stands to one side.

Barbarian MD
2016-01-08, 04:30 PM
Tolstoy immediately makes his way to the shield on the wall and attempts to take it for himself, then tosses the swords to whomever seems most interested in them.

byzantineblue
2016-01-08, 04:34 PM
The heavy steel shield and the longswords come down easily.

Barbarian MD
2016-01-08, 05:33 PM
TOLSTOY

The man sighs in relief, and his entire demeanor seems to change. He seems more complete, at home, despite the strange circumstances. He even grins. It is a jarring change to those observant enough to see it.

It isn't a tower shield, but it will do.

He tosses the swords to those who want them.

"Alright, so what's the plan?" he asks, now much more sociable. "I'm out of my depth here; I'm much better with something to hit." He eyes the statue down the hall. "They always come alive in the stories," he suggests helpfully. "And what just happened, anyway?"

Recherché
2016-01-08, 05:51 PM
Well that was a waste. Still nothing truly important lost.

Yve waives away the swords.

Two swords for four people. I can just use my claws instead.

Thokk_Smash
2016-01-09, 01:52 AM
Chkrash pockets the Magician, and the other two if no one objects. Short answer: magic, he says, tone more of a sneer though it seems unconscious.

Grabbing one of the swords, he strides down the long hallway purposefully. He approaches the statue first, observing it with wary gaze.

Perception roll: [roll0]
Knowledge (Royalty/Nobility): [roll1]
Knowledge (History): [roll2]
Knowledge (Arcana): [roll3]
Knowledge (Local): [roll4]

byzantineblue
2016-01-09, 02:02 AM
The doors are made of polished mahogany. A plaque between them reads: "One leads to peril, one to triumph. One question. One always lies. One speaks only truth." How quaint. But there is only one statue, a handsome man draped in cloth carved of dark marble. Where it seems the other should be is a note scrawled hastily on a sheet of parchment glued to the wall. "Apologies. There is no other statue. One ought to be sufficient, don't you think?"

PersonMan
2016-01-09, 07:05 AM
Airinieska raises an eyebrow at Chkrash's comment, silently watching their surroundings change. As the hall comes into view, her eyes go over it, searching for something that might indicate where they are. She looks for windows, meanings inside the tapestries, something recognizable in the doors or the statue.

As the swords are passed out, she takes one, testing its weight in her hand before frowning slightly. "If we find something...less bulky, I'd like to take that. This is better than nothing, for the time being," she says. As Yve explains her preference for her natural weaponry, Airinieska looks over to her, red gaze searching for the claws in question, before she turns away and nods. If the draconic woman begins to unravel her clothing and put it back on, she waits, standing near her until she finishes before continuing forwards towards the doors with the others.

"What do you think happens after we ask our question?" Airinieska asks the others, turning away from the statue before she speaks.

DontEvenAsk
2016-01-09, 01:50 PM
Amalan scoffs in pure derision. "I don't need you to tell me why you need a rope, Yve." He says her name with a sneer. "I respect your independence. All you had to do was tell me you preferred to be self-sufficient." He tilts his head. "You are correct that I take poorly to being commanded, but the way you say so sounds almost like an insult. If you wish to ask me for things, please, feel free. Our captor or captors clearly intends us to cooperate. However, I would recommend that you not condescend to me as you have. It can make me... difficult to work with."

The nerve of this woman! He asks her a simple question, and she responds with open hostility. Is her pride so wounded at even the suggestion of seeking help that she feels the need to heal it by lambasting him with the searingly voiced obvious? But she seems... useful. Perhaps they've only gotten off on the wrong foot.

Midway through this speech, he, too, is caught in the activation of the Magician. When he is quite finished, he blinks in subtle surprise and looks around, up, and down to take in his new surroundings. When he spots the swords and shield, he sighs. "I had so hoped for something smaller," he laments, but moves on quickly. To Yve he answers, "It is not a waste. Not all of us use swords. At least we have something. More troubling to me is that now that we've been given them, we might need them."

He pauses for a moment after Chkrash speaks, then adds, "Or that. That's a good explanation." Chkrash, now, he knows how to explain things. Just enough detail, no condescension. Lan feels a certain kinship with him, oddly enough; perhaps it's only that both have been spoken down to by Yve, but Amalan feels that the similarities go further back.

To Airinieska, he only shrugs, and he doesn't answer Tolstoy. Both, he thinks, are asking after the obvious. What has happened is a transportation, and if they question the statue, he feels quite sure, it will answer them only once.

Recherché
2016-01-09, 07:54 PM
She had tried to be polite. She had tried to explain herself on simple terms. If he was going to take that as an insult there was little Yve could do. Well she could always try seducing him or lying through her teeth but somehow those options seemed even less likely to work.

So best to disengage rather than turning this into even more of a feud. Besides if it did become a feud she'd want as many of the others on her side or at least neutral.

I wasn't trying to be condescending; I was trying for extremely clear and transparent.

Yve shoots off the last words before walking to examine the statue instead of this fruitless argument.

I think I heard something about this riddle somewhere before . . . something about knights and knaves . . . and there are two answers one that involves checking two speakers against each other and the other has to do with two lies canceling out each other and lying about lying.

Yve calls the group together to figure out the details of how to make a half remembered answer actually work. After a little while Tolstoy, Yve and Airinieska think they have a decent enough question. It won't necessarily help if both paths are dangerous but in that case they're in trouble already.

If I asked you whether the door to my right leads to triumph would you say yes?

Yve asks the statue clearly. Despite all the theorizing her heart's still beating too fast at the thought that she could be wasting the one clue they have.

byzantineblue
2016-01-09, 08:03 PM
"YES" the statue shouts in a deep, grinding voice and without moving whatsoever.

DontEvenAsk
2016-01-10, 09:32 AM
Wrong foot it is, then. And her tone, ouch. 'Extremely clear and transparent', hmm? Honest? Perhaps that would be best. He prefers to be oblique, he realizes, a fact he's been taking for granted and never noticing since he woke up. But that seems unlikely to work. His other options are meager. He supposes she could try to pretend to change her tune, but he's good enough at these games that that would take time the group probably doesn't have. And considering he's already gotten fairly used to her running around in her smallclothes, the myriad angles she could try with that are likely to get her only a wry smile. No, they must be honest. He'd much rather be out of this place, but he's forced to admit to himself that their captor wants them to work together, and they need communication for that.

Amalan follows Yve as she approaches the statue, at a polite distance - though by whose standards of politeness, of course, he also can't recall. He doesn't involve himself in the deliberation over the question. Best to give the woman her moment of glory.

"You misunderstand," he murmurs, just loudly enough for her to hear, after the statue's answer and an appropriate pause. "I want no disagreement."

He takes another moment to allow for her reaction and continues. "I cannot fault you for explaining all pertinent information. You were in a room with four people you knew nothing about. For all you knew I might be completely ignorant. In taking precautions, I'm afraid you inadvertently wounded my pride." He smiles crookedly, almost sheepishly. "I acted badly, and for that I cry your pardon. I sought to clarify the boundaries of my knowledge and foster further communication, but I was upset, and spoke inexcusably." 'Inexcusably'... not strictly true to him, but since he knows many people would consider it inexcusable, it's also not a lie. "As I said, I respect your independence. I, too, am loath to depend on others. I merely saw my suggested course of action as... less of a dependence and more a use of all the tools at my disposal. I take no fault with our difference of opinion there. However, like it or not, our captors have made us dependent on each other. I hate it. I am sure you hate it. But we must communicate and cooperate until we escape this place. I know you know this; I wish you to understand that I know it too, and would like to begin my interactions with you anew."

He turns to the statue. "Ahh, I think I see what you're doing. I was... someone has taught me this problem. I don't recall who, but I doubt I could have solved it on my own. It's a chokepoint, correct? No matter which statue this is, it will give the same answer?"

Barbarian MD
2016-01-10, 01:49 PM
Tolstoy

"Thank you.

Turning to the others, "Shall we then?" Unless the others object, he yanks the door open and strides through.

byzantineblue
2016-01-10, 07:33 PM
The right door leads to a gently curving corridor, lit by torches, with a blue carpet across the floor. You can see about a hundred feet down it, but beyond that, the curve takes it out of sight.

Barbarian MD
2016-01-11, 10:48 PM
Tolstoy pushes forward, watching for danger.

Thokk_Smash
2016-01-12, 01:38 AM
Now that you all have decided on the obvious answer, it's time for us to continue, Chkrash says with perhaps more bluster than strictly necessary. He'd known the answer all along, of course--but he can let others take the credit from time to time, he supposes.

He lets Tolstoy take the lead, following behind with his sword at the ready.

Recherché
2016-01-12, 02:46 AM
That's the trick to solving all of these liar puzzles. Make it so that it doesn't matter whether they're lying or not. You don't need to trust them, you only need to trust that its the answer you need.

Yve flashes a slight smile at Amalan.

I have to wonder if whoever chose us knew that they were getting a ornery violent group or if that was a surprise. What are the odds that out of a group of five random people every single one feels at least somewhat comfortable with a sword in hand?

Yve redresses herself as best she can while following along slightly behind Tolstoy.

Or the odds that despite not having our memories at least half of us still have ego issues

She murmurs slightly conspiratorially to Amalan.

Myself included of course.

DontEvenAsk
2016-01-13, 10:16 AM
Amalan smiles back, keeping alongside or slightly behind Yve. Either she's forgiven him or she's pretending to, and for now, the difference between those is negligible. "I would never have guessed," he murmurs, nearly dripping sincerity but also a certain measure of dry humor. "Although I wouldn't say we all have them. Tolstoy's problems seem to be more of the trust variety." He pauses to consider. "And I don't know that I would feel precisely comfortable with a sword in hand. Capable, yes, but... not comfortable. It's odd, I must have trained with short blades more when I was home."

Home. He feels hollow as he says the word, because although everything in him says he should feel something when he says it, it means nothing to him now. He shakes off the feeling and keeps walking.

As an afterthought, he adds, even more quietly, "In the interest of cooperative survival, one or both of us might want to turn to our hobgoblin friend every so often in the event of a challenge. I would not want to be one he resents."

byzantineblue
2016-01-13, 02:03 PM
The corridor makes almost a full, one hundred eighty-degree turn, and then another. It's a long S-shape. In the middle area are four dark wooden doors. At the end is a large set of double doors made of the same wood.

Barbarian MD
2016-01-14, 09:37 PM
Overhearing the conversations behind him, the man stops to consider. Does he have trust issues? Who the hell is he? Questions to consider later. He considered asking the others who the hell they were, but figured they were in the same predicament as himself. What was the point in conversation, he wondered. Answer: it passed the time and kept people from having to dwell on the dire situation they each found themselves in, he decided.

Tolstoy makes a patrol of the entire corridor, end to end and back again, before returning to the middle doorways and studying them for a few beats. He yanks each of them open in turn without stepping through them, curious to see whether they go to the same place or whether there is dimensional foolishness going on.

byzantineblue
2016-01-16, 01:32 AM
The first room you open is of the same marble as the rest of the structure, with deep green wall hangings, a green carpet, and a sizeable altar draped in green cloth. Something metallic sits on the altar. Chains are draped across the ceiling, and they support a humanoid figure wrapped in the same green cloth. It hangs at the very center of the room, unmoving.

The other rooms are similar, but are decorated in red, blue, and purple.

Barbarian MD
2016-01-18, 09:09 PM
TOLSTOY

"Well? My favorite color is red."

DontEvenAsk
2016-01-19, 01:34 PM
Amalan purses his lips thoughtfully. "Under different circumstances I might consider the symbolism of color, but since such systems vary from culture to culture, we have no idea who or what designed this place, and I appear to be surrounded by men and women of action who would likely rather I not engage in such philosophical contemplation given the situation at hand... fine. Let's try red and see what happens."

PersonMan
2016-01-19, 06:17 PM
"Splitting action and thought is a road to failure," Airinieska says, after having watched silently. "In this case, though, I doubt we will find a difference between them without going inside. I say we go into the red room," she continues, pausing for a moment before smiling and twirling a bit of her hair around one finger. "At the very least, I can camouflage myself there most easily."

DontEvenAsk
2016-01-19, 07:03 PM
"It can also be a road to success," Amalan notes, "depending on the circumstances."

PersonMan
2016-01-19, 07:16 PM
"And which would those be?" Airinieska asks, raising an eyebrow.

Thokk_Smash
2016-01-20, 12:40 AM
Chkrash lets the rabble talk as he peers into the rooms, looking for anything interesting. He notes the altar's design and the hanging figure. Is there some meaning to the colors, and the placement of the items?

Knowledge (Arcana): [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]
Knowledge (Religion): [roll2]

Barbarian MD
2016-01-20, 02:27 PM
Once again, Tolstoy leads the way, shield at the ready. The arcana makes him wary, though, and his head is on a swivel as he moves forward, eyes open for danger.

DontEvenAsk
2016-01-20, 08:32 PM
"Any situation where multiple events are occurring at once and each group member alone has the skills to handle them," Amalan answers promptly. "For instance, consider an area with four rooms - not unlike the one we are in. In one room lies a locked door. In another, a swiftly moving target, which must be impaled. In the third is a button which must be pressed, but is on the ceiling. The fourth contains a spatial puzzle. Now say you have a force of four: a master picklock, a practiced hunter, a performing acrobat, and an architect. It would be the height of folly to send them all in to tackle each challenge one room at a time, when, if they were divided, they would accomplish each in their own time simultaneously, and so be done more quickly."

He looks at every surface in the room - not searching for anything, just taking in his surroundings - and continues, a pang of reluctance in his voice. "However, at present, I think you're entirely correct. It would be foolish of us to part, for a number of reasons, not least being that our mysterious captor seems to want us to travel together." He sounds almost sheepish. Going off topic, it would seem, is something he's perhaps a bit conflicted about.

PersonMan
2016-01-23, 05:25 AM
"You speak of splitting a group; that has nothing to do with the division of thought and action," Airinieska replies. "Each of this group is an incarnate will of its own, and in its striving mind and body are in unity."

DontEvenAsk
2016-01-23, 11:47 AM
Amalan looks caught. "...Ah. Apologies, I misunderstood." He ponders for a moment. "In a perfect world, we would all be able to do what we dream of doing and devote our attention wholly to our deeds. But we don't live in a perfect world, so I'm forced to disagree with you."

What an interesting thought, though: to align body and mind completely. He'd have thought someone with Airinieska's discipline would have to avoid that. When the body and the mind behave the same way, one does whatever he wishes, whatever comes first to his thoughts, and each action carries the full weight of consideration. Or that's the conclusion Amalan comes to, at least. How can Airinieska be so... balanced? Does her mind simply never leave the narrow paths of its maze of duty?

He considers this for a while with a measuring gaze.

Kelvin360
2016-01-28, 03:17 PM
"Name? A...a what-principle? I'm sorry, but I don't know. All I can remember is...is a hunger. Little wants moving in and out of me like air through a broken seal. A broken veil. We all come from something like that, don't we...a shimmering wall standing between what we feel and what everything else wants us to. You...you feel like you're inside that veil, behind it. Maybe trapped there. But I've always been somewhere beneath. Absent. Under.

Under-The-Veil...it's not a title nor a name, but I like it. It feels like mine. I'd like to keep it, please, since I can't remember. Since it's all of what I am, yes? I'm Under-The-Veil."

Veil measures his steps by way of a flickering sort of half-absent gait, stepped in between shadow and light and fading out of view with every other subtle dance of his heels on the floor. The body doesn't seem to bother him, but then, he doesn't seem like an easy kind of person to faze. More, he seems drawn irrevocably towards the object on the altar, his dark eyes shimmering with a feral, unknown desire, the hound offered a new toy - he doesn't know why he wants it, and doesn't need to. It's simply there, so it must be made to catch one's attention.

So he paces half-circles in front of it, careful to never get too close.

((Veil is going to examine the altar and the object on the altar from about 20 feet off. He's not going to touch anything.))

DontEvenAsk
2016-01-28, 06:53 PM
Amalan steps up to follow Veil's path, watching him intently for reactions to things he may spot. His expression is that same impassive and yet oddly sharp gaze that he levels at things he is curious about, but has no preset opinions on... yet. Or at least, none he cares to show off, lest they be proven wrong.

Veil is interesting. That much is certain. He is thoughtful, which is clear. But Amalan has not had the chance to truly study him, which is unfortunate, for if he had his way, Amalan would spend the rest of his dreamlike elven years studying the things that interest him most. Veil's philosophy, the things he said when he awakened... this is fascinating to Amalan. A wall between the present and the past... when told that the matter can be seen that way, it makes perfect sense. But to Amalan, it's more like a road - a road he has been transported along very suddenly, so he can no longer see where he started from on the horizon. Perhaps, if he had time to retrace his steps properly, it would come into sight again.

byzantineblue
2016-01-29, 08:05 PM
The object on the altar looks like it's made of chainmail, but it's folded and you can't tell what it is. You're prevented from getting a closer look when the cloth-swaddled thing stirs, twists its head to look at you (though it has no eyes) and then swings to attack.

Your perception check succeeded, so no surprise round.
Initiative:
Airinieska: [roll0]
Amalan: [roll1]
Tolstoy: [roll2]
Chkrash: [roll3]
U-T-V: (still need to add your sheet to the table; roll your own in the OOC thread)

Foe: [roll4]

Everyone whose roll is higher than the enemy's roll should post their action. Posting order doesn't matter. Then I'll post, telling the result of each of your actions and the enemy's action. Then there will be a round of player posting, and so on.

Kelvin360
2016-01-29, 08:54 PM
Veil hisses in frustration and moves away, melting into the shadows for a more opportune moment. And yet, given clothes shouldn't move on their own, he also watches with suddenly-sparkling eyes to see if the creature displays any of its own magic. Magic to see. Magic to scent. Magic to taste. Magic to devour.

Tumbling away at half-speed (20ft.) to the nearest patch of shadow available so I can Hide in Plain Sight.

Acrobatics: [roll0]
Stealth: [roll1]

PersonMan
2016-01-30, 04:18 AM
Airinieska frowns as the group comes under attack, hefting the unwieldy lump of steel in her grip wishing it was perhaps half a foot shorter. Still, there was something she could do. Rushing forwards, she makes her way around their opponent, using her speed to go around it before it can use the opening to attack her. As she moves, darkness trails behind her before swooping forwards and surrounding her in thick darkness that resembles a suit of armor, adding bulk to her form and lagging behind her motions just enough to cause confusion. Once in position, she draws upon the power resting in her, and as she swings her weapon the shadow-armor moves in a different manner, swinging a different weapon of pure darkness.

Moving behind it; since it's flat-footed I should be fine, but Tumble just in case: [roll0]

Swift Action to enter Child of Shadow, gaining Concealment after moving.
Standard Action to initiate Shadow Blade Technique. I get two attack rolls, if the lower one hits I do normal damage, if both hit I do 1d8 bonus cold damage.

Attack 1: [roll1]
Attack 2: [roll2]

Damage: [roll3] + [roll4] cold (maybe)

DontEvenAsk
2016-01-30, 11:02 AM
If it can look, it can see... so Amalan makes the split-second decision to fix that. He makes a twisting motion with his hand as he draws strands of light away from himself. Every ray that would have flared off of his body unravels, and he gathers them all into his hand like a tangled skein.

Then he hurls it at the creature, and blinks out of sight. He retreats to a safer distance and watches the results of his work.

Casting blinding color surge at the thing and moving to about 30 feet away from it. Not that he was super close to begin with, but a little distance never hurts. Also hoping very strongly that I didn't miss anything.

Thokk_Smash
2016-01-30, 02:46 PM
Chkrash grins savagely when the cloth-covered creature makes its move. Naturally, he hadn't thought for a second that the room was without danger. With a keen eye he sizes up the creature, looking for any weak points he can see in its features or movements. They're minuscule, but certainly present.

He waits until someone else approaches it before dashing to the opposite side. There's no flash of bright colors or trail of darkness that follows him: just a pure, skillful slash meant to cut deep.

If I need to roll Acrobatics to avoid an AoO, please let me know. Moving into flanking position with Airinieska and then spending an inspiration point to add +4 to the damage roll. Rolls below include +3 insight from Knowledge Devotion; if the requisite Knowledge wasn't Arcana, subtract 1 from each for a +2 from a natural 20.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Barbarian MD
2016-01-30, 10:40 PM
Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=667398) HP: 46/46, AC: 21, T: 17, FF:19. Fortitude: 9 (do not fail on nat 1). Reflex: 4. Will: 6. 4+ saves/magic sleep or paralysis. Initiative: +2. Low-light vision, darkvision 60'
Favored Shield: Tower Shields
Special Abilities:
Beginning at 3rd level, if you are capable of making attacks with a shield, you may parry the attacks of your enemies instead. Whenever you would be struck by an enemy weapon, you may make an opposed attack roll with your shield. If you win this opposed roll, the attack is completely negated. Take a cumulative -5 penalty (as per BAB) on any parries made after the first. You may not make more parries than your BAB would normally allow (four at level 20, for example).

Claws Atk: +9. Dmg: 1d3+4.
Heavy Steel Shield Atk: +9. Dmg: 1d4+4.

Stance of the Defending Shell: + 1/2 IL shield AC
Mountain Skin Stance: +3 natural armor + 1/3 IL
Giant's Stance: +1 size category

IT Angering Bite (usable in full attack)
IT Iron Shell (counter opposed roll)
SD Charging Minotaur (charge + bullrush)
SD Stone Bones (DR 5/adamantine)
IH Steel Wind (2 attacks at once)
AAO Imperator's Warning (free attack if down a foe)
IT Turtle Shell Wall (shield other)
SD Mountain Hammer (+2d6, overcomes DR)
IT Tortoise Trip (Free trip attempt)
IT Mirror Shell (opposed roll against magic)

Buffs:

Tolstoy rushes forward with a shout, his momentum screaming to a halt as he slams his shield into the creature with all his weight behind it.

1) Move directly in front of the creature
2) Standard action: initiate Mountain Hammer maneuver
Shield bash attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2]
Damage overcomes all DR and hardness

byzantineblue
2016-02-04, 02:07 AM
Airinieska: (1d20+4)[24]
Tolstoy:
Amalan: (1d20+1)[20]
UTV
Chkrash: (1d20+3)[12]

Airinieska darts behind the figure, but it turns like a marionette on its strings. Not only does it slip between both her strikes, but it manages to dance out of the way of Tolstoy's shield, too. Amalan's spell hits it directly in the head, illuminating it briefly with bursts of vibrant color, but it doesn't seem to react.

Veil can see that the figure is mildly magical, as are the chains supporting it, as well as those draped across the ceiling.

It doesn't manage to dodge Chkrash's strike. The sword cuts into the wrapped cloth and mud sprays out across the floor. The cloth quickly works its way over the cut, but it looks to have deflated a little.

The thing advances on Chkrash, chains lashing out from around each of its arms. Another chain descends from the ceiling and strikes at Airinieska. They snake around, trying to grab the warriors.

Chkrash:
Attacks: [roll0] [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] [roll3]
Grapple check (applies only if either hits; if both hit the roll gets +3): [roll4]

Airinieska:
Attack: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]
Grapple check (applies only if it hits): [roll7]

Make opposed grapple checks if they grapple.

Kelvin360
2016-02-04, 11:52 AM
The puppets tangle in strings before the hand reaches down to grasp at them - but if there are no strings to catch, all fall down, all fall down.

A whisper of cloth and ashen intent, perhaps. These things most might hear, but no other trails of a darkness passing. And yet, even so, there are still the words that echo in soft murmurs through the ears of each of the four as this darkness passes, tracing the steps it makes.

"Cut the strings..." the presence says, pausing only to press its message through the air around the combatants. "Cut the strings..."

Veil is going to maintain stealth, but move at 35 feet for a -5 penalty to his check to remain undetected by the figure. At every interval he can, he's going to stop near an ally and whisper 'cut the strings' to them, but otherwise he's simply moving to close in with the altar.

Stealth check: [roll0]

Thokk_Smash
2016-02-04, 11:00 PM
Chkrash grunts with the blow, snarling at the offender. The chains attempt to bind him, yet he brushes them off as if they are nothing more than paper. He glances around at the whispering voice in irritation. "Cut the strings"--like those chains holding it up? Sure, that'll work with a regular steel sword. He launches himself at the clothed figure again, taking advantage of Airinieska's presence to strike at its undefended flank.

Standard attack putting Inspiration point to damage:
[roll0]
[roll1]

DontEvenAsk
2016-02-05, 07:35 PM
Amalan snarls an indistinct elvish curse. If that doesn't work, what else won't, he wonders? The whispers only irritate him more; what's the whisperer doing telling him that? His fellow prisoners, for lack of a better word, all know he has no weapon.

Of course, he answers his own rhetorical question. He holds out his hands, forming a diamond with his fingers and thumbs that points at the creature. Then he twists it violently, hoping beyond hope that this works, if nothing else.

Casting vertigo at the thing. Gotta love that "Spell Resistance: No". Or at least, I hope so. I am aware this'll lose him his invisibility; I was mostly going for the debuff with that spell anyway, so no great loss.

Barbarian MD
2016-02-10, 07:00 PM
Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=667398) HP: 46/46, AC: 21, T: 17, FF:19. Fortitude: 9 (do not fail on nat 1). Reflex: 4. Will: 6. 4+ saves/magic sleep or paralysis. Initiative: +2. Low-light vision, darkvision 60'
Special Abilities:
Beginning at 3rd level, if you are capable of making attacks with a shield, you may parry the attacks of your enemies instead. Whenever you would be struck by an enemy weapon, you may make an opposed attack roll with your shield. If you win this opposed roll, the attack is completely negated. Take a cumulative -5 penalty (as per BAB) on any parries made after the first. You may not make more parries than your BAB would normally allow (four at level 20, for example).

SD Stone Bones (gain DR 5/adamantine)

Buffs:

Tolstoy gives a shout as he spins, driving his shield at the creature once more and hoping to draw its attention from his compatriots.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Angering Bite:
if successful, they suffer a -4 penalty on attack rolls to attack any other target but yourself. Targets of this maneuver must possess an Intelligence score of 1 or more.
Ha. I didn't have that maneuver readied.

Hmmm. Given that someone else's 16 didn't hit earlier, that's disappointing, but maybe flanking bonuses will help...

PersonMan
2016-02-25, 04:23 PM
Airinieska focuses intently on the creature and cuts at it again, concentrating on its movements before her strike.

Initiate Sapphire Nightmare Blade.

C: [roll0]

If >= AC of target, it's flat-footed and I deal 1d6 extra damage. If not, -2 to the attack roll.

A: [roll1]
D: [roll2] + [roll3]

DontEvenAsk
2016-02-28, 01:40 PM
Airinieska
Tolstoy
Amalan
Under-the-Veil
Chkrash
Gharn
Foe
The figure sways on its chains, throwing off Airinieska's attempt to predict where it will be. Her swing strikes only empty air. Yet her assault isn't useless. As the figure swings away from Airinieska, it strikes Tolstoy's shield with a resounding /thwong/. The force of the impact splits some of the figure's wrappings, and drives chains through what cloth remains whole. More of that thick red mud drips from the wound, smearing Tolstoy's shield.

As it inches its wrappings back together, Amalan's spell settles into place around the figure. The spell has no visible effects, but it can be felt, a tangible spin to the air. The figure seems unharmed. For a few brief moments, its head tracks Veil's movements; he has not gone unseen. But Chkrash's blow distracts it. His blade makes a neat hole in what would be the figure's shoulder, and comes away coated with mud.

The figure jerks away, chains clinking. It lashes at Chkrash and Tolstoy, still swinging wildly. Its wrappings fold inwards, trying to mend the wounds it's been dealt, but the damage is done.

Chkrash:
Grapple check (if attack hits): [roll2]

Tolstoy:
Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]
Grapple check (if attack hits): [roll5]

Again, if hit, make an opposed grapple check, please.

Barbarian MD
2016-02-28, 09:41 PM
Special Abilities:

Buffs:

With a laugh, Tolstoy easily ducks the blow, which glances off his shield. He continues the movement, the momentum carrying his shield around for a slicing blow against the thing.

cecil1994
2016-03-03, 07:40 PM
Initiative! [roll0] EDIT: add two to that roll. build was finalized, initiative went up.

As for what Gharn has been doing, it's probably been a lot of cautious observing. He isn't the type to make a splash (1 charisma ahoy) so he's likely been just watching, and waiting.

Thokk_Smash
2016-03-05, 04:27 PM
The chains strike once more, and yet again attempt to ensnare Chkrash. With a flash of strength and burst of speed the man breaks free from them. He foregoes more talk in favor of slashing at the still-mending wound on the creature's side.

To-hit, including flanking and Knowledge Devotion: [roll0]

Kelvin360
2016-03-05, 06:10 PM
With nothing in hand and no real threat on the creature's part, especially as he seems to have been completely wrong about its strengths and weaknesses, Veil completely loses interest in the melee and goes back to examining the altar, figure, whatever still remains in the room.

Perception: [roll0]

DontEvenAsk
2016-03-05, 06:36 PM
Amalan, muttering more curses at the creature's strength of will, backs away warily. It appears that his fellows have the matter well in hand.

Tolstoy's shield strikes true, opening up a gash in the creature's side. It makes a gurgling sound, muffled against its cloth wrappings, as it bleeds more mud onto the floor. Chkrash, too, hits the creature dead on, reopening the creature's closing wound. More mud spills out, leaving the creature nearly deflated. It writhes, slipping out of its chains with startling ease, and begins to climb them with stiff, flattened fingers.

The altar bears a shirt of finely wrought chainmail. The light in the room appears to glint off of it slightly more than normal. Beside it sits a dagger, polished to a liquid sheen, that has the same odd bright quality to it. The altar itself appears to be of marble, a different kind than that of the walls. The red cloth that decorates the room is fine silk.

The figure's chains appear to be iron, its wrappings canvas. The mud that seems to be its blood looks like riverbed clay or silt deposits. It is faceless, and has six digits to each hand or foot.

cecil1994
2016-03-06, 06:59 PM
A piercing light winks on in X137's eyes. The hum of machinery fills the room, as gears and essentia pumps interlock and transition into Combat Mode.

Inititiave:
[roll0]

"COME, CHILD OF SHADOW. COME AND BE BROKEN."

Barbarian MD
2016-03-06, 10:19 PM
[roll0]
Damage [roll1]

With a careless gesture, Tolstoy slams the creature again. He almost feels pity for it.

Kelvin360
2016-03-09, 10:05 PM
Magic...?

What caution that might once have existed, keeping his instincts caged and his flesh intact, leaves him in a violent, dripping burst like the unearthly blood squeezed out of the figure behind him. His hands grip and touch and caress, taking in every fine detail of the items, as though their energy might seep into him, feed him, if only he could maintain his hold for long enough.

But the scent was gone. The sense was gone! That glimmer like a siren's call he could barely remember was lost, and with it the essence of...life? Some life? His own?

With a frustrated growl that quickly rises to a slightly muted shout that sounds oddly like a child's temper tantrum, he grabs the dagger and turns, hurling it at the ascending figure.

"Gone!"

Rolls made assuming it has the stats of a basic dagger, so I'm not including any bonuses.

Sneak Attack, if applicable: [roll2]

byzantineblue
2016-03-15, 12:42 AM
Okay, Chkrash gets NPC'd this round, I guess.
As X137 steps into battle, Tolstoy's shield crashes into the creature once again. It's a solid blow, although he didn't account for the upward angle of attack as well as he might have. Amalan, having nothing more to contribute, lurks in the background. UTV's dagger simply glances off the canvass in which it is swathed, and Chkrash's sword is parried by a writhing chain.

The thing has reached a height that, while still allowing it to attack, puts it at an angle that is harder to defend against. It whips its arms at you, sending chains at Chkrash and Tolstoy.

Chkrash:

Tolstoy:

cecil1994
2016-03-15, 04:09 PM
X137's metal carapace begins to glow an angry red, emitting light like some demented lava-lamp. The energy rushes to one point, condensing in X137's throat... and pours out of its unhinged jaw in a searing gout of brilliant flame.

Roll me a reflex save, DC19 to half.
Damage: [roll0].
Cooldown: [roll1] rounds.

Barbarian MD
2016-03-15, 08:02 PM
Special Abilities:

Buffs:

Again, the attack glances harmlessly off of a well-angled shield. Tolstoy presses his attack.

"Should we simply back away and force it to come to us?" he wonders aloud as he tries to strike awkwardly.

As a roar of heat rushes by him, singing a few hairs on his arm, Tolstoy gawks, happy to have his new friend finally join the party.

Kelvin360
2016-03-16, 07:47 AM
There is a void of sorts, the opposite of a flash of light as the shadows crash down near the altar and envelop the spaces there. Veil braces a foot on the edge of the altar and uses that momentum to leap forward thus-cloaked, his hidden form whirling about the creature and hissing fallacies in its ear.

Despite the flavor text, that's just a regular move action, as well as an attempt to Hide in Plain Sight, up to a flanking position with either Tolstoy or Chkrash, and then making a standard attack action to grant Chkrash a +2 Aid Another bonus to his AC.

Melee Attack Roll: [roll0]
Stealth Check: [roll1]

If it's within 20 feet of me, I'll move at 1/2 speed and make an Acrobatics check to avoid an AoO in case it spots me. If it's 25-40 feet off, I'll just charge in. [roll2]

Thokk_Smash
2016-03-16, 09:11 AM
Chkrash easily sidesteps the abysmal blow the figure sends his way. A smirk forms on his lips as he attacks with greater vigor, seeing the creature's flight as a sign of their impending victory.

Attack: [roll0], +2 from flanking with Veil.
Damage, using an Inspiration Point for +5 damage: [roll1]

byzantineblue
2016-03-16, 04:46 PM
A large patch of cloth strips are singed and shriveled by X137's flames. Mud gushes out for a moment before the canvas wraps around the damage, but the thing is quite visibly deflated now. Tolstoy's attack disrupts its healing for a moment and his shield is sprayed with the mud. Veil slips through the creature's guard with no problem, but Chkrash's attack misses entirely.

Writhing on its chains, the creature attacks Tolstoy and Veil.

Veil:

Tolstoy:

cecil1994
2016-03-16, 05:31 PM
Grinding noises emanate from X137, as the metal coatings on his fists sharpen, enlarge, and pulse with anger. Minuscule blades begin to whir between its steel jaws.

X137 steps forward to flank the monster, and lets out hammering punches. Its maw lurches forward for the finishing blow.

Claw attacks:

1st: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

2nd: [roll2]
damage: [roll3]

Bite: [roll4]
damage: [roll5]

Barbarian MD
2016-03-16, 09:02 PM
In a flash, Tolstoy's shield is between Veil and the creature's chains, which clang harmlessly away.

Turtle Shell Wall
Iron Tortoise (Counter)
Level: 2
Initiation Action: 1 immediate action
Range: 5 feet
Target: One adjacent ally

The Iron Tortoise initiate has quick reflexes and a strong shield with which to defend his allies. Use of this counter allows you to provide your shield bonus to AC +4 to an adjacent ally’s AC as a shield bonus (which stacks with any shield bonus they may possess).

Barbarian MD
2016-03-16, 10:42 PM
Special Abilities:

Buffs:

Once more, Tolstoy bashes his shield against the creature. He is a patient man, and he knows they are mere moments away from victory.

Damage: [roll]d4+4 /roll]

Kelvin360
2016-03-19, 03:58 PM
Veil steps back out of the creature's reach after his narrow brush with imprisonment, satisfied that his noun, Chkrash, is safe for now.

Thokk_Smash
2016-03-19, 04:03 PM
Snarling at his miss previous, Chkrash goes in for another, attempting to flank it with the other combatants.

To-hit: [roll0], +2 if flanking
Damage: [roll1], with 1 Inspiration point left this encounter

byzantineblue
2016-03-22, 10:46 AM
X137's first claw attack is enough to finish the job. Immediately, all the chains go still, and the canvass wrappings slip through them and drop empty to the floor in a splatter of mud.
"Well," Amalan grimaces, coming back toward the room's center, "I suppose we could have gotten even dirtier if we had actually wallowed in a mud puddle."

Kelvin360
2016-03-22, 11:49 AM
The shadowy youth seems to have retaken his interest in the shining knife now, calmly moving to retrieve it from the muck of the battlefield. "It will keep our scent from the wolves..." he murmurs to himself, then raises his tone ever so slightly, still avoiding any contact between eyes. "I was wrong about the strings. I'm sorry. The armor glows, and so does this, but I can't smell them anymore."

Barbarian MD
2016-03-22, 05:41 PM
Tolstoy kicks the remains with his boot, then shakes his head, not understanding a single cryptic word out of Veil's mouth. Instead, he searches the room and the remains of the creature.

byzantineblue
2016-03-23, 12:14 AM
In the canvass wrappings is some traces of mud, as well as a heavy, round object. Upon inspection, it seems to be some sort of root vegetable, dark purple with pale tendrils protruding from its lumpy surface.
On the altar is a suit of chainmail and three more daggers, all with an odd sheen that seems to reflect a little more light than the metal would normally.

cecil1994
2016-03-23, 09:16 AM
X137's eyes lose their edge. It relaxes, falling from the adrenaline high of Combat Mode to Utility Mode.

"WHAT... WAS THAT."

It walks over to the gleaming items in question, and scans them with mechanical precision.

Spellcraft: [roll0]

Barbarian MD
2016-03-26, 09:25 PM
"Anything on the gear?" Tolstoy asks, looking around to take stock of the exits to this room. "What now?"

He peers at the chains, wondering if they lead anywhere.

DontEvenAsk
2016-04-25, 02:15 PM
"I have no idea," Amalan says blithely. "I don't suppose you'd know?" He takes a few steps towards the canvas heap, stepping delicately so as to avoid getting any (more) mud on his feet, and squints bewilderedly at the peculiar node or root at its center. He looks at it for a few moments, seeming to debate with himself.

The door the group entered from is the only exit. The chains lead only to the ceiling, although climbing to the top of them would provide a protective shroud of chains, assuming there's nothing else lurking up there.

The daggers and mail are both definitely enchanted, not just under a temporary spell, and although you can't tell what the enchantments are exactly, none of them show the hallmarks of anarchic energies. You can, however, tell that the gear will probably serve the group well in battle.

(OOC Note: Without detect magic active, the Spellcraft roll is a little fuzzy. I improvised a little, so if this doesn't look like what you'd expect from a Spellcraft check, that's why.)