PDA

View Full Version : Disarming Enhancement = Practically Worthless?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-01-03, 05:53 PM
The disarming weapon enhancement in the MIC is a +2 equivalent that makes you immune to disarming and grants you a +2 to disarm attempts.

Locked gauntlets cost 8 gp and make you immune to disarming.

Numerous weapons in the PHB grant a +2 to disarm checks, few of which cost more than 10 gp.

Am I missing something, here?

draxsiss
2016-01-03, 05:54 PM
Locked gauntlets likely will not let you use somatic spell requirements....

AmberVael
2016-01-03, 05:55 PM

Not really. I mean, you could point out that the enchantment could be put on any weapon, or that the locking gauntlet has a few disadvantages if you want to switch out weapons or something... but those are all pretty minor. Immunity to disarming is definitely not worth a +2 special ability.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-01-03, 06:00 PM
Locked gauntlets likely will not let you use somatic spell requirements....You just need one hand free, so use your off-hand for the gauntlet. Even with a 2-hander, you only need to drop it with one hand to cast a spell.

I suppose a gauntlet would make it difficult to drop the weapon in favor of a ranged weapon, but still...

Adoster
2016-01-03, 06:19 PM
The disarming weapon enhancement in the MIC is a +2 equivalent that makes you immune to disarming and grants you a +2 to disarm attempts.

Numerous weapons in the PHB grant a +2 to disarm checks, few of which cost more than 10 gp.

Well except the minor disadvantages of the gauntlet, there is still a good reason it counts as a +2, since it's an enhancement bonus, it stacks with the +2 weapon bonus, and probably with improved disarm, for a total bonus of +8, being immune to disarming AND not provoking attack of opportunity when disarming, while still being able to free your hand (or hands) faster. I see your point, but as a DM I would still apply the +2 cost, especially since it's possible to have it combined with the dancing enhancement.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-01-03, 06:32 PM
Well except the minor disadvantages of the gauntlet, there is still a good reason it counts as a +2, since it's an enhancement bonus, it stacks with the +2 weapon bonus, and probably with improved disarm, for a total bonus of +8, being immune to disarming AND not provoking attack of opportunity when disarming, while still being able to free your hand (or hands) faster. I see your point, but as a DM I would still apply the +2 cost, especially since it's possible to have it combined with the dancing enchantment enhancement.Then don't expect anyone to ever take it.

Troacctid
2016-01-03, 08:15 PM
Disarming uses an attack roll, so a +2 to disarm attempts is strictly worse than just taking that +2 as a standard enhancement bonus to attack and damage.

Adoster
2016-01-03, 08:28 PM
Then don't expect anyone to ever take it.

I know my usual player well, some of them would wreak havoc if given the opportunity to have this as a +1 bonus. Trust me, giving your players enhancement too quick might result in you having to rebalance all your encounters, especially if one of them is good enough at finding all the possible combination to get what he wants. A friend of mine once defeated a beholder all by himself using only skill checks, mostly jump and use rope. When you encounter that kind of player, you leave things as they are. :)

Troacctid
2016-01-03, 08:36 PM
I know my usual player well, some of them would wreak havoc if given the opportunity to have this as a +1 bonus. Trust me, giving your players enhancement too quick might result in you having to rebalance all your encounters, especially if one of them is good enough at finding all the possible combination to get what he wants. A friend of mine once defeated a beholder all by himself using only skill checks, mostly jump and use rope. When you encounter that kind of player, you leave things as they are. :)

As a +2 bonus it is just straight up worse than an actual +2 enhancement bonus. That's not creativity, that's just math. It's exactly the same bonus to disarming, except on the one you have +2 to damage and +2 to other attack rolls, and on the other you don't.

ZamielVanWeber
2016-01-03, 09:16 PM
As a +2 bonus it is just straight up worse than an actual +2 enhancement bonus. That's not creativity, that's just math. It's exactly the same bonus to disarming, except on the one you have +2 to damage and +2 to other attack rolls, and on the other you don't.

But it comes out ahead if the weapon's bonus is already +4 or greater!

ericgrau
2016-01-04, 12:36 PM

Locked gauntlets only give a +10. And the enhancement stacks with the bonuses from those weapons.

But yes it is totally worthless. Even on a disarm build I'd rather have a +2 enhancement bonus. I suppose GMW makes the +2 pointless, but even then the enhancement is too pricey just to give a +2 to disarm and disarm immunity. I'd have a hard time taking it even on a humanoid filled campaign full of swordplay.

When I read the thread title I thought it was going to be a +1 enhancement giving you a +4 to disarm checks. That would still be worthless for most characters but in a humanoid filled campaign a disarm build would love it. +4 feat, +2 weapon (like a flail), +4 two handed weapon, +4 enhancement. Now you can disarm all those pesky foes with locked gauntlets. Even this would be situational, but yeah as written it's totally worthless. Even if the DM loved to have every foe use disarm and I needed a defense against it, I'd try a couple other things before resorting to the enhancement as written.