PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Quadrant NEW FREE Sci-fi RPG

Git777
2016-01-03, 06:01 PM
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum. I wanted to share with you my RPG that I have been building for the last few months. It is still very Bata but also playable. If you could give it a quick read or even try it out and give me some feedback I would be very grateful! I cant post the dropbox links yet but will send them on request. Or you can find the Quadrant RPG facebook page. :D

Here is a detailed description of Quadrant.
Quadrant is a Sci-fi RPG set in 4 star systems connected by hyper space gates and controlled by massive and faceless Mega-Corporations. Play as a space-cop type Enforcer and hunt down criminal scum. Or be a high value corporate spy and master of industrial espionage. Or Maybe you are a nobody down on your luck and fighting to survive. Failing any of these you could also be a captain of a small transport ship just trying to make ends meet by hook or by crook. There are 4 main game types in Quadrant that are all totally cross-compatible. Quadrant has no levels or classes and focuses development on how the character is played.
So over the last six months or so I have been making my own Role Playing game called "Quadrant". Basically I have Been playing RPGs for about 15 years and I really love a lot of them! Some favourites have been Call of Cthulhu, Rogue Trader, Eclipse Phase and of course Pathfinder! But each had strengths and some had weaknesses, Cyberpunk is a really great setting if you ignore all the 80's hair-metal stuff, but it has some really nonsensical and clunky feature to the game mechanics. So I sought to Frankenstein a new system with all of the best bits! Obviously the only way to do that is to scratch build a system.
So here where my goals for the game:-

1) A nice blend of realism and fantasy.
I love Sci-Fi and fantasy, Lasers space battles and magic I'm fine with, but if I'm watching a film and some henchman unloads a fully automatic weapon at the hero from three feet away, and the hero is unscathed because he ducked behind the curtains, then that is a step too far! In my head the hero repeatedly being smashed in the face with a great axe wielding muscle bond Ogre, but being fine because he still has 2HP left and then dying because a goblin farted in his general direction is the same sin. STOP IT!

2) A sleek and elegant character creation and development system.
I'm not just trying to be a pompous wee ****e here, I would like to put the emphasis on real character development and role playing not traipsing through a massive book for three hours only to answer the question "So what is your character like?" with something like "He's a 6th level half-elf Paladin.". I'd rather spend ten minutes making a character that can be described as "A chain smoking recluse but a man of grit and determination with a powerful thirst for justice and a serious gambling problem."

3) A book that breaks immersion as little as possible by blending rules and story so one reflects the other.
"What?!" You know in 40k fluff how Space Marines are like one man armies but in the game they are all right but can still be killed buy a lucky grot? Yeah well NOT that! So in the book I went to lengths so the equipment descriptions sound like product reviews that you'd find online. I want even looking through the rules to feel world building. A-list is one way of doing that and Adverts for the Corporations are another.

4) A Vast array of equipment flexibility to ensure that no character is equipped the same as another, and to make the setting feel large.
No one cares that your character has a pistol, but if its the .50AE Pantheon “Nero” Magnum then that's some thing we can geek out on! Further more there is the modular power armour with millions of combinations so your character's abilities can change depending on what you have equipped. All this stuff has the Corporations from the plot wove in to the Equipment making even this process feel like it's still in game.

5) Limited world size to allow for rich world building.
It always annoyed me in Stargate SG1 that what ever was within three miles of the gate was what kind of world they where on. What about other continents and nations? Our world isn't all the same! Stargate is not alone in this, "Forest moon of Endor" or "the Ice planet of Hoth", but anyone who has tried making a sci-fi setting or playing games like Rogue Trader knows that's what happens! A whole world becomes one thing. Well lets not do that, My plan is to have like 20 planets and force players to keep exploring areas of the same world.

Git777
2016-01-05, 05:57 PM
The Rule book :-https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3ml9l3zrlm6fuz/1%20Quadrant%2003.01.16.doc?dl=0

The Character Sheet :-https://www.dropbox.com/s/inyjareohlzpu3i/Mk8%20Character%20Sheet.doc?dl=0