PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Sibling Symbiont, Sneak Attack, and TWF

StrikerXDT
2016-01-03, 08:31 PM
The Shadow Sibling symbiont (Magic of Eberron, pg 156) has an Extraordinary ability Corrupting Touch.

Corrupting Touch (Ex): If a shadow sibling makes a successful touch attack, it disrupts a foe with its ability to bond flesh, dealing 1d6 points of damage.

In our game, I'm a Rogue with the Shadow Sibling, and the DM is allowing me to use the Corrupting Touch ability 2/day. But, I have a few questions:

When using Corrupting Touch, which type of action does it take? Is it its own Standard Action because it's an Extraordinary ability, or is it part of a melee touch attack that applies damage after a successful hit?
Does Corrupting Touch work with iterative attacks? For example: Let's say my Rogue has Two Weapon Fighting (duel wielding short swords) and can make 3 attacks as a full round attack. Can I make 2 attacks with the short swords, drop the short swords as a free action, then make the 3rd attack with Corrupting Touch?
Does Sneak Attack apply to Corrupting Touch? I'm pretty sure it does, but I figured I'd asked anyways.

MisterKaws
2016-01-04, 12:56 AM
Non-specified touch attacks are usually treated as standard actions, with the notable exception of charged-type touch attacks, which have to be charged as a separate action, but work just fine being delivered by unarmed strikes, though they need to go through touch.
In short, 1 and 2 is no unless your DM houserules it.

For 3, yes, totally legal, it's in CArc, at least by RAI, as it only mentions Spells and Spell-like abilities, but it should work unless your DM doesn't like the idea. It's quite a nice attack against armored creatures if you don't have wraithstrike.

StrikerXDT
2016-01-04, 09:06 PM
Non-specified touch attacks are usually treated as standard actions, with the notable exception of charged-type touch attacks, which have to be charged as a separate action, but work just fine being delivered by unarmed strikes, though they need to go through touch.
In short, 1 and 2 is no unless your DM houserules it.

For 3, yes, totally legal, it's in CArc, at least by RAI, as it only mentions Spells and Spell-like abilities, but it should work unless your DM doesn't like the idea. It's quite a nice attack against armored creatures if you don't have wraithstrike.

Ok, so Standard Action to use, and not part of iterative attacks. Got it!
I don't think my DM will have an issue using it with sneak attack, since it's just a Standard Action to use and he limited me to using it 2/day, but I'll clarify with him. It a decent backup at the least.
Thanks for the help MisterKaws!